As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

18384858688

Posts

  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Omg, that's terribly unlucky. :#

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    Any way to sort the Gmail app by size? I'm not seeing a size filter in the search bar

    Carpy on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Any way to sort the Gmail app by size? I'm not seeing a size filter in the search bar
    It's not sorting, but you can search by size according to the docs. size and larger seem to be the same thing, and you have smaller. It defaults to bytes, but you can tack an M or K on the end to change that.

    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Carpy
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Any way to sort the Gmail app by size? I'm not seeing a size filter in the search bar
    It's not sorting, but you can search by size according to the docs. size and larger seem to be the same thing, and you have smaller. It defaults to bytes, but you can tack an M or K on the end to change that.

    Of course it's search based. That should help though, thanks!

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've been getting some weird.. porny notifications from Google drive and I'm not sure where they're coming from. Anyone else see them?

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 27
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I've been getting some weird.. porny notifications from Google drive and I'm not sure where they're coming from. Anyone else see them?

    I've started getting more porn spam but nothing out of Drive, no.

    Like messages when you're in Drive?

    MichaelLC on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    No like notifications on my phone that someone has shared some porn stuff with me. Or relationship scam stuff. But a lot of the time when I check in Drive there won't be anything there, only when I actually click the notification will it show up. At least then I can block the account from sending me any more, but then I just get it from another account.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No like notifications on my phone that someone has shared some porn stuff with me. Or relationship scam stuff. But a lot of the time when I check in Drive there won't be anything there, only when I actually click the notification will it show up. At least then I can block the account from sending me any more, but then I just get it from another account.
    This is a wild guess, but I'm guessing this is someone trying to share something with you. If you're not also getting an e-mail maybe it is being sent to spam?

    Next time try seeing what notification category it's in, otherwise you could try going into the notification settings for Drive and disable the "Shared items" category.

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It looks like this.

    iv8mjl232ssd.jpg

    If I tap that notification, it brings me straight to the list of crap that is trying to be shared with me. So yeah, it's definitely something that someone is trying to share with me. But why doesn't Google let me just turn off sharing from people that I don't know? This was a big problem with calendar for a while, they had to know it would become a problem for their other apps.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    BarrakkethButters
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Have you considered just giving Stanley Kingkong a sexual while you listen to Robert, Dave, and Gareth rap about Henry Kissinger?

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    urahonky
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 28
    Looking around, it's been a problem forever with Google only adding blacklisting in 2020.

    Here's a suggestion from a rando:

    To stop notifications from any website, you need to disable that website in your browser. For Chrome:
    Open Settings
    Go to Privacy and security > Site settings.
    Click on Notifications
    Find drive.google.com and remove it from allow
    Next time you visit Drive, if you see a popup asking to send notifications, say No.

    MichaelLC on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Google Drive/docs spam has been a known issue for as long as I can remember. Google lets anyone send @ reply notifications to anyone through docs. I had it happen a bunch 3 or 4 years ago, it stopped after a few weeks.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Delduwath
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Have you considered just giving Stanley Kingkong a sexual while you listen to Robert, Dave, and Gareth rap about Henry Kissinger?

    That's ah... part of my email address.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Have you considered just giving Stanley Kingkong a sexual while you listen to Robert, Dave, and Gareth rap about Henry Kissinger?

    That's ah... part of my email address.

    You didn't answer the question.

    ArmorocBarrakkethurahonkyButtersBetsunifurlionSmokeStacks
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    It sounds like regular spam?

    Hell I started getting sexually explicit messages on the PlayStation network a few months ago.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It pretty much is regular spam, but it's from an app I haven't received notifications for before, and it's fucking annoying.

    And it's a solved problem! Google already had this problem with Calendar and fixed it years ago, but here we are again!

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    BouwsTBahamutZERO
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It pretty much is regular spam, but it's from an app I haven't received notifications for before, and it's fucking annoying.

    And it's a solved problem! Google already had this problem with Calendar and fixed it years ago, but here we are again!

    Buddy, this just started happening with me as well. EXACTLY what you're seeing, drive notifications out of nowhere, but absolutely nothing in the drive to see. Annoying.

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Pixel phones: I can't get Android System WebView or Chrome to update. Anyone have tricks that worked?

  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Usually I just clear the app cache and any other memory, then uninstall and install again

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    This seems to have fixed itself. I did clear app caches but first attempts after didn't fix the issue.

    Odd

    I'm up and running on the Pixel 6 Pro now. Still going to take some getting used to since it's essentially a two hand phone for me.

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    honestly likely just a version mismatch on the file that was being pushed to your device, which google fixed.

    When you install an app there isn't one version, there's multiple different apks for different SoC's, carriers, archtectures, etc. your device needs to pull down the correct version, and every so often that can go wrong and an update fails.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    I've been using my pixel 6 with battery saver for a while now, no issues. But recently Spotify is just randomly closing/desyncing and doesn't display in the playing media bar at the top of the screen. Basically this wasn't happening a week ago but now is, and a lot of folks are blaming battery saver. Is that really it? I tried the normal app things like cache clear and fresh install

    I even tried tossing a widget on the home screen but it refuses to display the song that's playing

    Local H Jay on
    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Almost certainly battery saver. One of the big things that battery saver does is close background tasks much more aggressively to, you know, save battery.

    I know you said you haven't seen it before, but could be anything from a Spotify app update to an OS update that adjusted how battery saver works.

    Battery saver really isn't meant for 24/7 use, because, again, it aggressively closes applications, limits performance, etc in order to maximize battery life, and can have an impact on day to day use of the phone.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I just wish I could whitelist certain apps, and if they are causing bad battery drain then let me know

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It pretty much is regular spam, but it's from an app I haven't received notifications for before, and it's fucking annoying.

    And it's a solved problem! Google already had this problem with Calendar and fixed it years ago, but here we are again!

    Buddy, this just started happening with me as well. EXACTLY what you're seeing, drive notifications out of nowhere, but absolutely nothing in the drive to see. Annoying.

    I'm getting these too. Since I don't share files with anyone on Drive, I just disabled the "shared with you" notification category through Android Settings.

  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I just wish I could whitelist certain apps, and if they are causing bad battery drain then let me know

    For per-app settings go to Apps and Notifications -> all apps -> specific app -> Advanced -> Battery. Set Background Restriction and Battery Optimization as desired. In this case, you'd want them off.
    I'd also check Battery -> Battery Saver and/or Adaptive Battery. In my case, battery saver only kicks on when the battery is low (the Turn Off When Charged setting is on).

    The Screen Time and Battery usage is also listed on the per-app settings page or in the battery usage details, but you can't get notified on a per-app basis.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    I've been using my pixel 6 with battery saver for a while now, no issues. But recently Spotify is just randomly closing/desyncing and doesn't display in the playing media bar at the top of the screen. Basically this wasn't happening a week ago but now is, and a lot of folks are blaming battery saver. Is that really it? I tried the normal app things like cache clear and fresh install

    I even tried tossing a widget on the home screen but it refuses to display the song that's playing

    I don't know if this is related, but the Spotify mobile app lately has been horrible. I want to stick the .apk on a thumb drive and stick it in the garbage disposal.

    Ear3nd1l on
    MegaMan001
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Minor rant and some thinking out loud.

    I recently moved to a Pixel 6 Pro after getting a used one from Ebay. Caveat emptor and all that, I'm surprised to discover that the phone has similar battery life to my Pixel 3. That is to say, I'm charging it at least once a day.

    It's tough to call this week a "typical" workload because we have some major stuff happening in the office at work and I'm in quarantine until Monday; so I've been on the phone a bunch.

    Typically, I should be able to shut off 5G service, but it appears that me being on AT&T means that they don't have that option.

    So my questions for you all:

    1- I'm not a huge fan of the larger phone size but I'm willing to get used to it. One of the main reasons I was going to upgrade to the newer Pixel generation was for increased battery life. Should I look into battery replacement for this phone, or do I just have too high expectations for the battery? For comparison, my Pixel 3 would go ~27 hours between charges when I first bought it.

    2- Are there features I can disable that perhaps I'm missing? I'm thinking specifically for the 6 Pro and Android 12

    3- Should I consider a Pixel 6A and resell this phone?

  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Minor rant and some thinking out loud.

    I recently moved to a Pixel 6 Pro after getting a used one from Ebay. Caveat emptor and all that, I'm surprised to discover that the phone has similar battery life to my Pixel 3. That is to say, I'm charging it at least once a day.

    It's tough to call this week a "typical" workload because we have some major stuff happening in the office at work and I'm in quarantine until Monday; so I've been on the phone a bunch.

    Typically, I should be able to shut off 5G service, but it appears that me being on AT&T means that they don't have that option.

    So my questions for you all:

    1- I'm not a huge fan of the larger phone size but I'm willing to get used to it. One of the main reasons I was going to upgrade to the newer Pixel generation was for increased battery life. Should I look into battery replacement for this phone, or do I just have too high expectations for the battery? For comparison, my Pixel 3 would go ~27 hours between charges when I first bought it.

    2- Are there features I can disable that perhaps I'm missing? I'm thinking specifically for the 6 Pro and Android 12

    3- Should I consider a Pixel 6A and resell this phone?

    There is a dial workaround to disable 5G with Pixel 6 pro on AT&T that involves phone dial code to bring up the system information, I dunno if Android 12 has removed it though?

    The things I do know that are notorious on the Pixel 6 series is that the modem and signalling is significantly worse than other devices. This will affect battery life if the phone is constantly trying to regain signal or cycle between network speeds.

    Ziggymon on
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    It also doesn't help that AT&T renamed their 4G to some version of "5G" (5Ge I think?) because **M A R K E T I N G**

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Battery life is one of those things that just varies so much from person to person that while we can generally say a physically larger battery means more battery life, each use case is different and we all need to just have realistic expectations based on our own use cases. If you have always been a person that can't get through a day on a phone battery, it isn't likely that a new phone will solve that, as the usage patterns are the bigger impact to battery life.

    I'm not saying this is specific to any one person, but a few things:

    yes, talking on the phone a lot will hit the battery life. You're using the cellular radio, which to this day is still one of the most power hungry components.

    Screen on time is a terrible metric because an hour of staring at a static image is much different than an hour of playing a game, but yes, the more you have the screen on, the shorter the battery life will be. 1080p+ screens with 120hz refresh rates eat battery.

    This is self explanatory, but gaming kills batteries.

    content consumption kills battery. (this is my big one. I usually listen to music/podcasts for 5+ hours per day when working. So yes, that'll kill battery)

    Places with low/weak cellular signal are harder on battery, as the cellular radio has to work harder to maintain a connection. (this one also really kills me on days I have to go into the office)

    Cameras are actually surprisingly hard on the battery, especially with all the photo processing phones do.

    Basically, while it sounds simple, if you use your phone a lot, yeah the battery is going to drain faster. If your phone sits on your desk unused most of the day, the battery will last longer.

    I'm the kind of user that I just know a phone won't last me a day unless I really am not using it a lot. It all comes to individual use cases.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Butters
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Playing music I've downloaded to my phone really shouldn't be a big battery drain. On my Pixel 3 XL I was able to have screen off music playing for hours no issue, and seemingly only ate about 30% battery for every 5 hours. Maybe it's because I have the higher refresh rate on my 6 but it just doesn't seem to have as effective a battery even just compared to previous models. It's making me think of jumping to Galaxy eventually

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You can do small things like setting Dark Mode or turning on Adaptive Brightness. You can also tweak the built-in battery management settings in Android (Settings->Battery). Stuff like Adaptive Battery might help. The last thing you can tweak is the App settings for each app in your phone (Settings->Apps->select app->Battery). Some apps may be set to Unrestricted when they should be set to Optimized, or some apps can be set to Restricted altogether.

    I tend to just have a charging cable handy for all my frequently-visited places: next to my computer, in my car, etc. My habit is to just plug my phone in at those designated spots.

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You can do small things like setting Dark Mode or turning on Adaptive Brightness. You can also tweak the built-in battery management settings in Android (Settings->Battery). Stuff like Adaptive Battery might help. The last thing you can tweak is the App settings for each app in your phone (Settings->Apps->select app->Battery). Some apps may be set to Unrestricted when they should be set to Optimized, or some apps can be set to Restricted altogether.

    I tend to just have a charging cable handy for all my frequently-visited places: next to my computer, in my car, etc. My habit is to just plug my phone in at those designated spots.

    People definitely overrate all of that stuff, though. All else being equal, doing all of that stuff might gain you a couple hours extra standby time.

  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Also, download AccuBattery and try and get a reading on your battery health. Charging to full all the time is bad for your battery and can lead to a significant reduction in capacity.

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Also, download AccuBattery and try and get a reading on your battery health. Charging to full all the time is bad for your battery and can lead to a significant reduction in capacity.

    Yeah I've been using it. I have Accubattery's warning set at 90% to cut down on wear
    pn854hm9gqr4.png

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So the wife and I upgraded to S22 ultras a few weeks back and I think I'm really unhappy with it? I've had a lot of app crashes and random times where the phone was so slow that I had to reboot. The wife has had her mic just not work for calls until she reboots a couple times now. The phone seems solid but the software is glitchy as fuck.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Never experienced that with my S21.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You both might have gotten bad units... I'd recommend returning them if at all possible or, barring that, getting a refurb.

  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting a new phone. I have an S10 and it randomly kinda stops working in weird ways. Like the keyboard won't show up when I'm on a txt input field, or I won't be able to answer calls when the phone rings (the icons just don't appear). A few other things like that.

    I was thinking of either a new galaxy or a pixel. Any recommendations? I don't game very much, so I mostly want a good camera and something reasonably reliable with a decent battery. I also used to be able to tether and can't anymore, which sucks. I hear that's a verizon thing though, so maybe not something a new phone would fix?

Sign In or Register to comment.