As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    How's Xfinity mobile?

Especially in Chicago, if anyone's got it.

Don't really care about trading one evil company for another, so better if cheaper and one less bill to manage. Thanks.

MichaelLC on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    How's Xfinity mobile?

Don't really care about trading one evil company for another, so better if cheaper and one less bill to manage. Thanks.

If you have Verizon service, you have Xfinity service. They're an MVNO using Verizon towers. Up here I've heard mostly good things about them, but that all obviously depends on your location.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    How's Xfinity mobile?

If you have Verizon service, you have Xfinity service. They're an MVNO using Verizon towers. Up here I've heard mostly good things about them, but that all obviously depends on your location.

I do! Interesting. Yeah figured they weren't slinging their own towers.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    How's Xfinity mobile?

I do! Interesting. Yeah figured they weren't slinging their own towers.

My understanding was they were a combo of Verizon and a version of wifi calling that uses Comcast APs. (fun fact: every Comcast owned wifi point has a "Xfinity" channel that you can't turn off and people on Xfinity service can use)

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Also, something worth noting for anyone who was thinking about buying a flip 4 or fold 4. Pre orders through Samsung get a free storage upgrade to the middle tier and a free year of the accidental damage service.

Especially for those looking at the Flip 4 the idea of getting a free upgrade form 128 to 256GB of storage is something everyone should jump at.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    About 3 or 4 days into owning a Pixel 6a and I really like it. But I think we've reached the point where a new phone isn't such a dramatic change like it used to be. I went from 4a to 6a and it does feel a bit zippier but other than the front screen fingerprint reader it just doesn't feel like it's any different haha.

oh yeah that's been true for years now. That's why phone ownership timelines are getting longer (i.e. people are keeping their phones for longer periods of time). Phones get what, 10% better every year now, so year to year upgrades aren't going to feel dramatic.

It's part of the reason why software support is even more of a big deal now, and why I recommend Samsung on the Android side to almost everyone who isn't going to update their phone every year. Their software support is the best in the Android world, better than Google's.

You're making me really consider a Samsung for my next phone, but I don't want to give up Google's camera night sight voodo

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    About 3 or 4 days into owning a Pixel 6a and I really like it. But I think we've reached the point where a new phone isn't such a dramatic change like it used to be. I went from 4a to 6a and it does feel a bit zippier but other than the front screen fingerprint reader it just doesn't feel like it's any different haha.

oh yeah that's been true for years now. That's why phone ownership timelines are getting longer (i.e. people are keeping their phones for longer periods of time). Phones get what, 10% better every year now, so year to year upgrades aren't going to feel dramatic.

It's part of the reason why software support is even more of a big deal now, and why I recommend Samsung on the Android side to almost everyone who isn't going to update their phone every year. Their software support is the best in the Android world, better than Google's.

You're making me really consider a Samsung for my next phone, but I don't want to give up Google's camera night sight voodo

I will say that Samsung offers longer support (4 years of OS, 5 years of security) compared to google (4 years total OS and security) but where the Google advantage comes is that you do get it day one. Certain Samsung models have actually gotten their monthly updates before Google's, but at least in North America on the carriers you are still at the whim of the carrier. My Z Fold 3, for example, was still on the June patch and never got the July one. I'm assuming the update that was due to hit my phone on August 10th would have been the August update, so it did skip a month. And Pixels get version updates (i.e. 11-12) day 1, while samsung phones get them 2-3 months behind for the Z and S series, and 4-6 months behind on the higher end A series.

Thats a much a carrier problem as anything, since Samsung does placate that to carriers.

So if getting every patch day 1 is important, there is still value in getting the Google phones. I'd argue that Google hasn't been very good with updates over the last couple years, with lots of bug reports, so there are times when I'm ok that samsung takes a couple months, as it seems there are fewer bugs. Samsung also delivers updates to orders of magnitude more phones around the world, so generally their updates are solid.

I saw an article on I think Android Authority a few days ago that sums it up well. I recommend Samsung phones to most people, but if you're the kind of person inclined to read an android website, or in this case read the android thread on the Penny Arcade Forums, feel free to explore other devices.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Ok, so ultimate in first world problems here and I almost need someone to talk me off a ledge. I bought a Galaxy Watch 4 last september because my Watch Active died. I hadn't planned on buying the Watch 4 because I bought a Fold 3 in August and the idea of buying a very expensive phone and a watch at the same time was not appealing. Original plan was to alternate phone one year, watch the next.

So now I'm at a decision. Do I buy a Watch 5 this year, despite having a watch 4 that's perfectly fine to get myself back on that cadence, or do I just look at the idea of buying both a phone and a watch again next year? I will probably wait for full reviews of the Watch 5 before a final decision but the sapphire glass and 10 more hours of battery life are enticing. But even with a $100 samsung store credit that does expire in early September, I'm not sure if it's $300 enticing.

Google has released Android 13 for all supported Pixel phones today. (that should be anything from 4 and 4a on).

Now the real Android 13 beta begins.

Google is just another Android OEM, version 23432:

Once you upgrade from Android 12 to 13 on the Pixel 6 series (including the 6a) you cannot roll back to Android 12, even if you download an official ROM.

It isn't clear yet whether you can unlock the bootloader and do something that would allow you to rollback, as the rollback protection is in the bootloader. There *may* be a way to replace the bootloader, but even XDA doesn't yet know if it will be possible at all to rollback to Android 12 on Pixel phones.

This does not apply to older pixel phones.

Ok, we have a reason for the inability to downgrade.

Google says that the bootloader on the Pixel 6 has a vulnerability in it, and the update from 12 to 13 updates the bootloader to fix it. The bootloader cannot be rolled back to the version with the vulnerability, so this means that you can't go back to Android 12, nor can you go back to an older bootloader that would allow you to go back to Android 12.

At the end of the day this affects a statistically zero number of people, but for that small number who may like to go back and forth for testing purposes, or decide they don't like 13's 1.0 release, you can't go back.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I upgraded to 12 almost immediately when available and a ton of my apps didn't work (as expected). I'll just hold off a week or so before downloading it.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I usually upgrade ASAP with little issues but it won't show up for me. I don't really wanna fool with sideloading though.

I've been updating apps every couple of days. I typically hold off a week or so when I receive an OS update, just to see if there's any heartburn. It's saved me from bad patches in the recent past.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ZenFone 8 Flip

xmspie5ks63j.jpg

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    average standby drain is 0.2% per hour, I've never seen anything like it.

Seems like a cool phone that I could never use since I have AT&T. That battery life is stellar.

I let it go all the way to 5% to test it out;

vtgmzvqe2gzn.jpg

Hmm I can't seem to update to Android 13 on my Pixel 6a. I do the "check for updates" and nothing. Ah well.

Yeah unfortunately the system update button doesn't force the update, it just pulls the OTA if it's been rolled out to your phone and didn't automatically show up.

SirToasty wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately the system update button doesn't force the update, it just pulls the OTA if it's been rolled out to your phone and didn't automatically show up.

Ahhh gotcha, thank you.

Honestly sorry to flood but this is nuts;

xo3dm4f4acop.jpg

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I like my Z Flip 3, but battery life is certainly not its strong point.

Speaking of, the screen protector that was installed by Samsung at the factory started to crack at the crease on both sides, so I removed it yesterday. The screen looks much better without it, and since it is a clamshell it is protected when closed, so I am thinking about just rawdogging it. Famous last words, I know, but still.

I've only had this phone since like May or April, so I don't know if the protector sucks or if I just open and close my phone way more than the average person. Now I'm curious to see if there is some hidden service menu that would tell me how many times I have opened and closed it since I got it.

edited August 2022
    Again, not a screen protector. Top layer of actual display.

That was, admittedly, a huge fault of the Z Flip and Fold 3 in that the top layer of the screen doesn't go all the way to the bezels so it looks like a screen protector. Samsung would have replaced that under warranty for free, with it being removed, I'm not sure they would now.

The glass layer of the display under that top layer is less than 1mm thick, so you're now really playing with fire.

wunderbar on
    Honestly they've been doing that shit with TVs for a while too and it's maddening.

Sony started this year and it makes me want to punch someone.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My work has asked me to pick a new phone to replace my current work phone which is a Galaxy S9.
    I have to choose from the following list:
    • Pixel 6 Pro
    • Galaxy S215G
    • Galaxy S21 FE
    • Galaxy S21+ 5G
    • Galaxy S22
    • Galaxy S22+
    • Galaxy Z Flip3 5G
    I'm leaning towards the S22+ because I've been really happy with my S9 for over 3 years. It's held up well and still does the job and when I compare it to my wife's Pixel phone, it includes some nice QoL stuff. And I'm not confident that I would actually enjoy the Flip3.
    Is there any reason I should not get the S22+?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    If you are happy with Samsung phones, the S22+ is the best Samsung phone on that list that is also as close to a guarantee that will last for 3 years without significant issues.

If you like the idea of a foldable and your work is understanding that the Z Flip3 may need a couple repairs in a 3 year period, I might be tempted to get that.

But in reality, the most reliable phone in that list is going to be the S22+

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Thanks. I was pretty sure I was going to go with another Samsung phone but I used to love the Pixel line so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I appreciate the sanity check.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    Android users only want 2 things and they're disgusting.

1- bring back the vibration icon
    2- bring back the "Ok Google" chime

If you are happy with Samsung phones, the S22+ is the best Samsung phone on that list that is also as close to a guarantee that will last for 3 years without significant issues.

If you like the idea of a foldable and your work is understanding that the Z Flip3 may need a couple repairs in a 3 year period, I might be tempted to get that.

But in reality, the most reliable phone in that list is going to be the S22+

Agreed with all of this. Though I will say I have an S20 FE for work and it's plenty fast, gets great battery life, and doesn't have curved glass.

Android 13 installing as we speak. I'll report in if anything explodes.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Android users only want 2 things and they're disgusting.

1- bring back the vibration icon
    2- bring back the "Ok Google" chime

3. Headphone jaaaaaaaack

BahamutZERO.gif

That was, admittedly, a huge fault of the Z Flip and Fold 3 in that the top layer of the screen doesn't go all the way to the bezels so it looks like a screen protector. Samsung would have replaced that under warranty for free, with it being removed, I'm not sure they would now.

The glass layer of the display under that top layer is less than 1mm thick, so you're now really playing with fire.

It's Gorilla Glass Victus so it's not as dire as you make it sound. Also, the idea of shipping it off to Samsung and being without a phone for whatever period of time it takes their warranty procedure to process doesn't really sound appealing. I'm living life on the edge now.

I am actually planning on picking up the cheapest feature phone I can find someone soon though, because I'm going to be doing some camping later on this summer and want something for the rare portions where I'll be in cell range in case there is an emergency. The last thing I would want to do with an expensive smartphone is bring it into the wilderness.

It's Gorilla Glass Victus so it's not as dire as you make it sound. Also, the idea of shipping it off to Samsung and being without a phone for whatever period of time it takes their warranty procedure to process doesn't really sound appealing. I'm living life on the edge now.

I am actually planning on picking up the cheapest feature phone I can find someone soon though, because I'm going to be doing some camping later on this summer and want something for the rare portions where I'll be in cell range in case there is an emergency. The last thing I would want to do with an expensive smartphone is bring it into the wilderness.

Nope, not Gorilla Glass Victus on the folding display. The outer shell of the phone is made from Victus, but the folding display is only marketed as "ultra-thin glass" which is most definitely not gorilla glass.

I'm not sure how you would manage to make gorilla glass fold :D

Excuse me, the exterior glass is victus.

Still, while I appreciate the concern, it's not as dire as has been implied considering the number of people who are doing just fine without the cover.

Excuse me, the exterior glass is victus.

Witness me fold, shiny and chrome!
    Sorry that's all I can think of when I see 'victus'.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    My wife has managed to crack one of the screens on her Surface Duo and the case is pulling apart on one side somehow so I have told her it seems a good time to take advantage of the $800 trade in towards a Fold 4. If she kills that one, too, though, she agrees that we will have to discuss if foldables are the future for her, specifically, or not!

Considering there was a time you could get a Surface Duo for $800, that's not a bad deal.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I really wanted the Surface Duo to be a good phone.