Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'm still mystified why they removed changing the lock screen to your playing song's album art by default. that was an amazing look (or maybe it was just my HTC One that did it, idk)

If I remember correctly that was a specific HTC Sense (what they called their Android skin) specific feature.

I want to say my Nexus 6p might have had it for a bit too, but oh well.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm having issues using an SD card as internal storage on my new Moto G Power 2022. Nothing fancy, just wanna use it as storage for mp3 for BlackPlayer, and on my older Moto G7 it was just plug n' play, put files in a Music folder and they'd show up. None of it seems to work here anymore? How can I make the phone use the SD as internal storage, or just read the files from the portable storage it currently sees it as? Cheers!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm having issues using an SD card as internal storage on my new Moto G Power 2022. Nothing fancy, just wanna use it as storage for mp3 for BlackPlayer, and on my older Moto G7 it was just plug n' play, put files in a Music folder and they'd show up. None of it seems to work here anymore? How can I make the phone use the SD as internal storage, or just read the files from the portable storage it currently sees it as? Cheers!

I haven't used an android phone with an SD card slot in quite some time, but Google did change how SD cards work a few years ago and there are a couple of things that could be related to your problem.

Apps now must request access to specific parts of SD cards, they can't access the entire card. So there's a chance that the music app you are using can't see the location you're sticking music. Look in the app to see if it specifies a location for music on an SD card. If I had to guess, I be that's what's going on.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The phone I used previous to my current one is a Note 10+. When I originally got it, I was upgraded from a Galaxy S6. Earlier today I fired it up again to go through the update process because I want to start using it on days where I know I will be away from the house for quite a while, as the battery on the Z-Flip 3 is dogshit. Going from an S6 to a Note 10+ was a pretty big shift, so when I was originally setting it up I changed the device's name from "SM-N975U" to something more physically appropriate. Queue the update:

ailhh0200jon.jpg

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Big price drop on Pixels. Pixel 6 now $399 US

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Not a bad deal, if you can put up with a somewhat weak battery

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    After everyone's advice, I told my work to get me the S22+ 128GB and I ordered a case so I would be ready when it showed up.

Then radio silence.

I emailed the IT guy yesterday to ask and he said that apparently the 128GB models are on backorder so they've been waiting. But the 256GB ones are available now. So now I should have a 256GB model early next week :)

(That is so much space considering I haven't even filled up my S9 64GB)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular

Aw man! I just upgraded to the 6a for almost the some price. BAH.

Okay I say "just" but it's been about a month. And I'm happy with the phone... But still!

• Options
    Ok, remember my samsung repair saga? Finally ended earlier this week. Wednesday, 6 weeks plus a day after putting my fold 3 with a defective outside screen in the mail, I finally got a replacement device.

It was a terrible customer experience. I'm pretty sure that Samsung and the 3rd party repair center just.... didn't talk to each other for about 2 weeks of this process. the repair center thought a device was sent to them, but a samsung rep at one point said "you don't have your phone? the ticket is closed." The worst part of this whole experience has been the lack of communication from the company, despite me calling every 2-3 days for the last couple weeks of the ordeal. the last person I spoke to on the phone was really good and even gave me his email address, saying i could email him directly with the ticket number instead of having to call in and get a different agent again.

I actually sent the guy an email Wednesday morning, about 4 hours before the phone showed up. I still haven't received a reply. I never got a tracking number that the phone had shipped, it just showed up. There has been no communication direct from anyone there, I was always the one needing to reach out.

long story short once samsung and the repair center figured their stuff out I got a device sent to me. To Samsung's credit (very, very small credit considering how long it took), was that I did not get a refurbished device. I was sent a brand new Z Fold 3 in a sealed retail box. I did eventually get to what I believe was the highest level of customer service at samsung (called "executive customer service") and It got resolved within a week of talking to someone in that department. Pretty sure it was a "well we screwed this one up real bad send out a new device order from whoever runs that department"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular

I don't know what the regular 6 is like, but I get nearly two days out of my 6 Pro.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

I don't know what the regular 6 is like, but I get nearly two days out of my 6 Pro.

Yeah idk, maybe it's because I use the higher refresh rate but if I don't have battery saver on, it doesn't last me 12 hours. But I use my phone a lot usually. I've watched a few battery test things and the regular 6 has about 7-8 hours of screen on time, and I've noticed something about once it hits 40 percent or so it starts to drop a bit more rapidly? Can say for sure but yea, probably the combo using the higher 90hz mode + being on it alot for work and such

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    "Days" is a useless metric, as most phones nowadays are very good at consuming almost no power when idle. What you care about is how long it lasts while you're doing stuff on the phone, such as watching videos or playing games.

• Options
    Battery life is just something near impossible to compare person to person because everyone's use case is different. I use my phone to listen to podcasts most of the day at work so I will almost never make it from wake up to bed time on one charge.

Idle time is a decent metric but doesn't actually measure how people use their phones. Screen on time is the same. I can run turn by turn directions and get 3 hours of screen on time or I can display a static image in airplane mode at 5% brightness and get 12 hours of screen on time.

Basically, look at reviews, multiple reviews. Then apply your own multipler to it, for lack of a better term. Everyone's use case is just different.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Some places do pretty comprehensive benchmarks like running Youtube/Netflix until the battery runs down. Those can help you to figure out what matches your use cases the most. But yeah, it's hard to know because use cases and technology differ so much.

For example, the latest Android update has seriously killed the battery life on my Pixel 4a, so much so that I can have my phone plugged in while I'm navigating in my car and it will still drain the battery when previously it would be recharging (slowly).

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yikes.

We were considering initially getting a iPhone for the kid with just wifi so friends can chat, but now leaning towards a Pixel with cell and was going to get a 4a.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    As a counterpoint I don't have any battery issues on Android 13 on my 4a, if anything it's slightly better than it was on 12. Honestly if you're buying new then I'd be more worried about the 4a going EoL in August '23 than I would be the battery life.

• Options
    Yeah both my kids have a 4a and the latest update and it still works great for them.

• Options
    Yeah this just goes to show it really depends on your own circumstances. Maybe there's an app I use that makes things worse.

Prior to the last update I'd fully recommend the 4a. It's amazing bang for the buck. The only problem is that it will lose security updates at the end of next year, but if you're fine with that time window (i.e., your kids will probably break/lose it by then anyway) and you can get it super cheap then I'd say have at it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah this just goes to show it really depends on your own circumstances. Maybe there's an app I use that makes things worse.

Prior to the last update I'd fully recommend the 4a. It's amazing bang for the buck. The only problem is that it will lose security updates at the end of next year, but if you're fine with that time window (i.e., your kids will probably break/lose it by then anyway) and you can get it super cheap then I'd say have at it.

Thanks, we'll take a look. Refurbs are $150 on Amazon so pretty good deal - not $700 for an iPhone.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Thanks, we'll take a look. Refurbs are $150 on Amazon so pretty good deal - not $700 for an iPhone.

I got mine on ebay and they had fresh batteries in them.

• Options
    Anyone else have an issue where their screensaver doesn't run anymore? Ever since A13 got released I haven't been able to get it to run automatically. It used to be as soon as I plugged it in then the clock showed up. But now it just stays at the lock screen.

Probably not a big deal for most but I use it for bedtime.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Anyone put hands on a Samsung Z Flip 4 yet? I'm looking to upgrade from my Pixel 4 and I'm trying to decide between the upcoming Pixel 7 (for being an upgrade) and the Flip 4 (for the aesthetic).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Based on offers floating around right now, I'm considering trading in my Pixel 3 or this 6 Pro for a 7 Pro. Seems like a better price point for similar specs. And I'd get "an extra year of updates" for relatively low price.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Here's a weird issue. When I'm in a group chat that includes iPhone users, it takes forever to send or receive messages on my Pixel 6. My wife and daughter are in the same chats and have Pixel 3s, but theirs work fine.

Edit: When this conversation is active (i.e. the group is talking), it kills my battery. This morning it went from 70% to 53% in about 30 minutes.

Ear3nd1l on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That is weird. What messenger app are you using? I use Google messenger which includes end to end encryption which will not work with iPhones. Maybe it's that? Not sure how or why but that's the only thing I can think of.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I'm using the default Google Messages app. I can try switching to something else as a test. Thanks.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone else have an issue where their screensaver doesn't run anymore? Ever since A13 got released I haven't been able to get it to run automatically. It used to be as soon as I plugged it in then the clock showed up. But now it just stays at the lock screen.

So the issue is the whole "Digital Wellbeing". I have it set to DND after 10pm. Once that happens the screensaver stops working. If I disable the digital wellbeing it works perfectly fine.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Ok so I am having the craziest issue on my Pixel 4, and wondered if anyone might have a suggestion (beyond factory reset, which is next but will SUCK with all the authenticators I have to disable/renable).

Yesterday, around noonish, I suddenly stopped receiving all INBOUND texts. I can send texts out fine, but nothing comes in. Calls work fine, internet is fine, FB Messenger is fine...just inbound text. I have tried all of the following:
    1. Dropping off WiFi
    2. Validating that airplane mode and Do Not Disturb are not enabled.
    3. Rebooting (multiple times)
    4. Updating to Android 13 (as it was available)
    5. Going into settings->system->reset options->Reset wifi,mobile, & BT.
    6. switching from 5g down to LTE

Tmobile support was unable to make any sense of it either, and has "escalated" my ticket, but I've not heard anything from them. Craziest thing I have ever experienced.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Ok so I am having the craziest issue on my Pixel 4, and wondered if anyone might have a suggestion (beyond factory reset, which is next but will SUCK with all the authenticators I have to disable/renable).

Yesterday, around noonish, I suddenly stopped receiving all INBOUND texts. I can send texts out fine, but nothing comes in. Calls work fine, internet is fine, FB Messenger is fine...just inbound text. I have tried all of the following:
    1. Dropping off WiFi

Tmobile support was unable to make any sense of it either, and has "escalated" my ticket, but I've not heard anything from them. Craziest thing I have ever experienced.

Srsly have you checked digital wellbeing?

• Options

So the issue is the whole "Digital Wellbeing". I have it set to DND after 10pm. Once that happens the screensaver stops working. If I disable the digital wellbeing it works perfectly fine.

Pretty sure you can use a IFTTT routine to turn DND on and off instead of digital wellbeing. Not sure if it's the DW actions or the DND feature itself causing the problem

• Options

1. Dropping off WiFi

I hadn't ever heard of it, but from poking around it all looks to be turned off :(

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I've run into an interesting bug over the last couple of weeks or maybe months? I'm on a Pixel 5a, and I have the lock screen and home screen set to a photograph from my gallery. I select a color palette to go with it from "wallpaper colors" but if I'm on my phone when it switches to bedtime mode (the dimmer screen, everything shifts somewhat amber to avoid blue-light, etc.) and I go to bed, when I wake up the next morning the color palette has swapped to the first option, which unfortunately for the pictures I want is a combination of pea green and poop brown. As a workaround I have a cool photo of a jellyfish I took at the aquarium instead of my kid but I'd rather not have to set my lock screen image to have the first color palette in the options not be utter ass.

Anyone else run into this?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

1. Dropping off WiFi

I hadn't ever heard of it, but from poking around it all looks to be turned off :(

Any texts showing in Spam and Blocked?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I've run into an interesting bug over the last couple of weeks or maybe months? I'm on a Pixel 5a, and I have the lock screen and home screen set to a photograph from my gallery. I select a color palette to go with it from "wallpaper colors" but if I'm on my phone when it switches to bedtime mode (the dimmer screen, everything shifts somewhat amber to avoid blue-light, etc.) and I go to bed, when I wake up the next morning the color palette has swapped to the first option, which unfortunately for the pictures I want is a combination of pea green and poop brown. As a workaround I have a cool photo of a jellyfish I took at the aquarium instead of my kid but I'd rather not have to set my lock screen image to have the first color palette in the options not be utter ass.

Does your phone switch between light and dark mode? The palettes change between the two even with the same wallpaper. There's also like 16 options for color palettes for each one.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »

Does your phone switch between light and dark mode? The palettes change between the two even with the same wallpaper. There's also like 16 options for color palettes for each one.

It should be in dark mode all the time. When I swapped between them in the menu it didn't change the color so :shrug:

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

1. Dropping off WiFi

Are you using Google's messages app? If so, turn off the Chat Features, then turn them back on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Traded in a very old spare Galaxy Note 8 to get a new Google Pixel 7 Pro for $200.

Just got the new Pixel today, and I have to say the screen is really damn impressive. The phone is massive, which I'm 50/50 on, having gotten used to my "pocket sized" Pixel 4a, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it...

Also, the transfer from one Pixel phone to another was almost entirely painless, outside of the obvious need to re-validate and log in to stuff like 1Password and Authy.

We'll see how the phone does over time, but so far so good.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

1. Dropping off WiFi

This happened to me on my Pixel 5 a few months ago. Go I to your Google messages app and clear the cache.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

1. Dropping off WiFi

Any texts showing in Spam and Blocked?

Nope!

Shadowfire wrote: »

1. Dropping off WiFi

Are you using Google's messages app? If so, turn off the Chat Features, then turn them back on.
    I am - just tried that, no luck :(

MegaMan001 wrote: »

1. Dropping off WiFi

This happened to me on my Pixel 5 a few months ago. Go I to your Google messages app and clear the cache.

Forgot to mention we did that as well, no dice.

I went into a TMO store yesterday, and the guy there couldn't make any sense of it either. However, we did try swapping out for another sim they had in store (different line), and my phone received the message instantly. So it seems like it's something in my account/line or at the towers, so for now I'm stuck waiting on the "network team" to make sense of it. Or I dump them and go back to verizon if they can't.

Thanks all for the ideas, some of them were definitely new and untried!

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Bleh.

Yesterday, I had an issue with my phone where plugging it into a charger caused the connection point to rapidly heat up and smell like burning plastic. I have device protection with Google Fi, so I filed a claim for device replacement. They shipped me a refurbished version of the same device with a $40 charge thrown in on top of what I had already been paying for device protection.

Today, I decided to test my phone again, and the problem seems to have largely disappeared. Maybe I had a wet short or something that's now dried up. I looked into seeing if I could cancel the replacement, but I was told by customer support that since it had already shipped they couldn't cancel it. Now I'm going to be stuck with having to go through the effort of transferring all of my data from my moderately old, previously broken but now working phone to someone else's moderately old, previously broken but now working phone, shipping back my phone, and paying a fee of $40 on top of that.

Also, I checked and the newer version of my phone is on sale for $50, so I could have just gotten a brand-new phone for $10 more.