As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    One of my coworkers has almost had his phone factory reset a couple times. Turns out the in screen fingerprint reader can't tell the difference between a finger and a slightly sweaty pocket.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have questions

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh, I bet I know what one of them is, and yes, they did keep a severed finger in their pocket. A few, actually!

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I have questions

We do installs. He gets sweaty. The pocket fabric gets a bit moist (ew) against his leg, and the phone thinks it's a finger.

Samsung never said it was smart.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    At a certain point this dude should just turn off finger print unlock...

• Options
    They make us have an eight digit passcode on our phones. Our O365 logins have to be stupid complicated and we log in multiple times a day. It's really a major hindrance to not be able to use biometrics.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    But wait if it's Samsung, shouldn't it have face unlock too?

• Options
    But wait if it's Samsung, shouldn't it have face unlock too?

Disabled by AirWatch. :rotate:

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Turn the phone so the screen isn't against his leg?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

From the sound of the job, I would assume the risk of smashing the screen that way is too high. That's why I keep mine screen-in in my pocket when I'm in the wood shop. Too likely to bump into something hard/sharp.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

From the sound of the job, I would assume the risk of smashing the screen that way is too high. That's why I keep mine screen-in in my pocket when I'm in the wood shop. Too likely to bump into something hard/sharp.

Yeah, mounting TVs and fixing appliances means multiple things to bump into, lots of tools that get handled, all that stuff.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    That sounds like a good argument against in-screen fingerprint scanners on any phone.

(Aside from the fact that it probably leads to a bunch of smashed screens in that line of work.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    They have medicine for sweaty legs, now. The disclaimer requires a separate commercial, it's so long

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That sounds like a good argument against in-screen fingerprint scanners on any phone.

(Aside from the fact that it probably leads to a bunch of smashed screens in that line of work.)

FWIW, I've had my OnePlus 6T with an on-screen fingerprint reader for like a year now and never once had this happen. Might just be Samsung's being a little overly sensitive.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This is very much one of those things where my experiences do not invalidate yours, but I also have a Samsung phone (Note 10 plus), and keep my phone in my pocket screen in all the time, and have never had it happen to me.

So I'm not sure if it's environment, or specific device, but it's definitely not a universal thing with in screen fingerprint sensors.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with my LG's fingerprint scanner being safely "hidden" away on the power button on the back my G6+.

Even without the Incipio case, I doubt any surface it was resting on could accidentally trigger it. Though I'm not sure how I feel about LG's later decision to add a separate dedicated power button in later models while keeping the scanner.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with my LG's fingerprint scanner being safely "hidden" away on the power button on the back my G6+.

Even without the Incipio case, I doubt any surface it was resting on could accidentally trigger it. Though I'm not sure how I feel about LG's later decision to add a separate dedicated power button in later models while keeping the scanner.

every phone with a dedicated capacitive fingerprint sensor can wake the phone when you touch the sensor, so the functionality is almost the same. the only difference is hitting a side key to turn off the screen instead of the sensor again.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

every phone with a dedicated capacitive fingerprint sensor can wake the phone when you touch the sensor, so the functionality is almost the same. the only difference is hitting a side key to turn off the screen instead of the sensor again.

True. I was one of those people who was annoyed when they did away with dedicated camera buttons, so I can appreciate the irony of being mildly put-off by a separate power button after integrating it into a protecting fingerprint scanner.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I really like having the power button integrated into the rear fingerprint scanner on my V30 as well. It feels much more intuitive to me than having a separate button.

And of I need/want to wake the phone up (or lock it) when it's lying on a surface, that's what the knock-on feature is for. Easy.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    What podcast apps does everyone use? I've had Beyond Pod for years, but it has some bugs that annoy me. I'm ready to try something new.

• Options
    Pocket Casts

• Options
    Podcast Addict. I used Pocket Cast back in my WP days though.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've been using Pocket Casts for years and years. I don't have any major complaints with it, so I never bothered to look for an alternative.

• Options
    Podcast Addict here.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    What podcast apps does everyone use? I've had Beyond Pod for years, but it has some bugs that annoy me. I'm ready to try something new.

Play Music. Probably not the best, but it plays the thing I want to listen to, so whatever, good enough.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Pocket Casts but I refuse to upgrade to whatever the newest version is. I can't stand the new interface and will keep using the un-updated version for as long as I can.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    This is very much one of those things where my experiences do not invalidate yours, but I also have a Samsung phone (Note 10 plus), and keep my phone in my pocket screen in all the time, and have never had it happen to me.

So I'm not sure if it's environment, or specific device, but it's definitely not a universal thing with in screen fingerprint sensors.

Yeah, I know it's definitely a niche problem. We keep our work phones in our pockets because work (client signatures, payments, etc), but I know it's just on days he's really pushing himself and getting sweaty. Like running a 5.1 in wall system or something, he always pulls his phone out now and puts it on his jacket.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think RCS has started rolling out? Noticed new (dark blue in the dark theme) colored text balloons with read receipts.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Google pushed an update to Messages that turns on their RCS server for (most) people after the US carriers all got together and picked an RCS implementation without them. It's kind of a petty move, but w/e.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    People discovered that there was a hidden activity in Messages where you could use a Google sandbox server to enable RCS regardless of what carrier you were using. I used it on Verizon, and was able to use the chat features with my sister on Sprint (she is using the Samsung messaging app).

After the buzz about doing that and bypassing the carriers, the big US carriers announced they were forming the CCMI (Cross Carrier Messaging Initiative, presumably for how they are going to profit off of RCS) without Google, and were also going to be developing a new messaging app. Google had previously enabled RCS for users in the UK and France, and started rolling out RCS/Chat for users in the US on Nov. 14. There are different RCS endpoints for the various carriers, and my nephew had it enabled on Verizon (we bought him his first smartphone about a month ago) before my phone got migrated over to the official servers. It's nice to be able to text photos and not have them compressed to hell and back.

Though in an amusing turn of events, Google Photos has changed how sharing photos works. You can still create and share albums, but you can basically "text" photos to someone with a Google account (and possibly create groups) within the Photos app. It's actually much better than how things worked before, where sharing a link would create an album with one image.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, this really isn't a dick move from google. RCS was developed and then none of the carriers were making any moves to actually implement it. Google was hinging on RCS to keep android messaging competitive with imessage and the carriers doing nothing was a major headache. Google started plans to just bypass carrier messaging like imessage does, and that's when carriers started implementing their RCS solutions.

• Options
    My, how the turntables
    eeyd7hq3jvqd.jpeg

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My, how the turntables
    eeyd7hq3jvqd.jpeg

Sixty goddamn dollars. :lol:

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I hardly get any calls, let alone any voicemails, so I just noticed this now, but I can't bring up the keypad while on a call anymore. This means I can't actually check or delete this voicemail I just received. I'm on a Nexus 5X on Koodo in Canada. So far I've found a reddit thread from a couple days ago with people having the same issues but no real solutions. Looks like my Phone app updated on December 6th. If I wanted to roll back that update, what would be impacted and how would I go about that?

• Options
    Since it looks like the current version of the Phone app and the beta are the same (I suppose none of the beta testers ever caught it), I would personally download the previous version of the app from APKMirror and sideload it. If you don't want to use adb to change versions uninstall the updates first.

Disable automatic updates for the app afterwards.

• Options
    How do you uninstall updates?

• Options
    Go to the app info page for the app (on my Pixel long-pressing the icon and clicking the "i" button that pops up takes you directly to it), press the three dots in the top-right corner and tap uninstall updates.

• Options
    Okay, thanks. When it says all data will be removed, that's just things like the call history, right?

• Options
    It should just be the settings and cache for the app. I just cleared the settings to test and it had a message for a few seconds while it reloaded my call log (I figured the call database was part of Android proper). It even remembered my favorites and was able to reconnect to my visual voicemail.