As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    CK2 is great fun.

It is also probably the best game ever for taking things out of context.

"There's a secret Cabal of Jews trying to undermine the Govt!"
    "I've been trying to marry my sister, but nothing is working!"
    "Oh shit, I fucked a horse."

Spoilered cause it's off topic

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Okay, now that I know how to click on, well, things, I'm warming up to Stellaris. I've surveyed three systems, all barren but have some minerals. Science people are leveling, but I don't know what that means for me yet. Earth is slowly getting cleaned up, and while I mistakenly built a Power Plant where with no Pop, one is starting to develop there.

I'm surrounded by resource abundant systems, but they are barren and I can't extract resources. Should I hold out for something I can colonize or is there a way to claim these resources?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Every time I look at the updates for this coming expansion I'm sort of floored.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Okay, now that I know how to click on, well, things, I'm warming up to Stellaris. I've surveyed three systems, all barren but have some minerals. Science people are leveling, but I don't know what that means for me yet. Earth is slowly getting cleaned up, and while I mistakenly built a Power Plant where with no Pop, one is starting to develop there.

I'm surrounded by resource abundant systems, but they are barren and I can't extract resources. Should I hold out for something I can colonize or is there a way to claim these resources?

Build a outpost around the star there and you'll be able to build mining facilities

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Stellaris feels like a game that's slowly morphing into its own sequel.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Hah! That's typically how Paradox games work.

CK2 is at the point now where it feels like it is really CK4.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Got my first game in a while started yesterday and discovered they've changed the Holy Guardians so they're somewhat-less maniacally hostile to other religious civs; after I claimed one of their sacred worlds' systems and sanctified it myself as the Yondarim they decided they liked me well enough instead of coming at me hard. Pretty sure their neighbors to the south tried the same thing and got rocked for it.

I'm noticing either a lot of new events or a lot I wasn't seeing before they re-jiggered the likelihoods, as well. I'd missed this game!

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Got my first game in a while started yesterday and discovered they've changed the Holy Guardians so they're somewhat-less maniacally hostile to other religious civs; after I claimed one of their sacred worlds' systems and sanctified it myself as the Yondarim they decided they liked me well enough instead of coming at me hard. Pretty sure their neighbors to the south tried the same thing and got rocked for it.

I'm noticing either a lot of new events or a lot I wasn't seeing before they re-jiggered the likelihoods, as well. I'd missed this game!

They were never manically hostile to other religious civs. The ability to make friends with them by sanctifying the same planets is a new feature that is Cool and Good, but it’s pretty much always been COLONIZING their holy worlds that is their one big trigger. Occupy the system, they don’t care. Just keep the appendages to yourself.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

They were never manically hostile to other religious civs. The ability to make friends with them by sanctifying the same planets is a new feature that is Cool and Good, but it’s pretty much always been COLONIZING their holy worlds that is their one big trigger. Occupy the system, they don’t care. Just keep the appendages to yourself.

I remembered my last Yondar / Holy Guardians interaction differently but I may just be mistaken, then. Either way the new stuff is cool.

After becoming bogged down in conquests I was obviously able to pull off, I got out the post-apocalyptic pacifist guys I was trying out right after 2.0 landed again and promptly found an abandoned Dyson Sphere, so I guess I know what my goal with that game is.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Hah! That's typically how Paradox games work.

CK2 is at the point now where it feels like it is really CK4.
    I haven't played CK2 since the month after I was gifted it and at the time it had a ton of DLC I didn't have and still don't. And that was just like 5 years ago. Which was 3 years after it launched. So yeah I imagine it's a wildly different game altogether now.

Is there a timetable on when the newest patch for Stellaris will hit? I don't want to jump into it right now and only have a patch land on a currently running save (when new features hit I like to see the impact from the ground up).

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Henroid They're still saying that it's a long way away. I'd imagine not until next year at this point.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Henroid They're still saying that it's a long way away. I'd imagine not until next year at this point.

This vexes me. I had been waiting for the new war system to settle out before continuing my 2.0 playthrough; but I was trying to go full Ferengi and Le Guin seems even better suited to that.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    When they said "a long way off" last time, I was very pleasantly surprised at how short that time actually was when they actually announced a release date. I'd tentatively be hoping for an early January release.

Having said that, the changes this time seem a lot bigger, e.g. Fundamental changes to the planetary/sector AI. So there will likely be a longer bugfix/polish period for this release. So who knows!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

devs doing a preview stream for 2.2

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Finally got around to reading the dev diary for last week. It talks about planetary decisions (replacements for edicts) and how planetary bombardment works now. It's okay, but the tease for next week's Tradition breakdown looks "dreddful". ;)
    upload_2018-10-4_14-9-13.png

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My current playthrough was with the goal of getting the 'evolve into machines' achievement, which I did. But also my first play since the L-Gates got added. Damn nanites were persistent.

I finally got that crisis tamped down and then the damn war in heaven starts. Now I have to rebuild again.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Paradox had another preview stream this morning for 2.2, and just before ending they flashed a 10/24 date for some kind of Stellaris announcement. hype hype etc

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    While overall changing Domination to something more universally useful is nice, as someone who actually liked trying to build a big feudal empire with all of my vassals, and looking forward to 2.2 making that process more interesting I'm hoping they add some technologies or inherent bonuses to starting feudal because as a playstyle it kind of gets kneecapped by removing all of the traditions based on boosting your own and your vassals' strengths by having more better vassals.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It sounds like they're adding a new corporation authority too

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    So what's the biggest outstanding issue now?

All the recent evolutions look great (and I played a bit after 2.0), but I think they desperately need a big diplomacy revamp for this game to enter the 4x pantheon....

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Going to their roadmap from back in March
    Old Goals
    A 'galactic community' with interstellar politics and a 'space UN'.
    Deeper Federations that start out as loose alliances and can eventually be turned into single states through diplomatic manuevering.
    More story events and reactive narratives that give a sense of an unfolding story as you play.
    More interesting mechanics for pre-FTL civilizations.
    'Living systems', making empire systems feel more alive and lived in

New Goals
    Less micromanagement and more focus on interesting choices in regards to planets, the ability to grow planets beyond current fixed size.
    Empire trade mechanics and trade agreements.
    A galactic market where resources and strategic resources can be imported and exported.
    Espionage and sabotage mechanics.
    Improved galaxy/hyperlane generation with better placed systems and dangers.
    More anomalies and unique systems to explore.

Items in Italics got covered by Distant Stars, and items in bold appear to be being covered by 2.2

So yeah, a major overhaul of politics/diplomacy/subterfuge appears to be the big thing left.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've been itching to get back into Stellaris lately, but I don't know if I should wait for LeGuin or just dive in now. The planet management changes look to fix one of my biggest problems with the game.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    More content for the patch. If we're very lucky it might be a release date for...the release date reveal.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Countdowns to release dates are dumb, pisses your audience off, and I wish people would stop doing it.

If it is that, though, I'm somewhat surprised, because from the way they were talking, it sounded like there was still months of work to do. You generally don't announce a release date for a patch when there are still a ton of unknowns.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I suspect the announcement will be for another content pack release with LeGuin. They did the same with the last big update patch.

On a related note last time they did this it was also only a short while from announcement to release.

Excite!

• Options
    I'm guessing this will be an expansion on the scale of Utopia and Apocalypse.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The release cycle seems to be minor update with content pack, then major update with expansion so that wouldn't surprise me.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    https://youtu.be/PPn2MJ9YapI
    We have arrived, and it is now we perform our charge.
    In fealty of the God-Emperor (our undying Lord) and by the Grace of the Golden Throne,
    I declare Exterminatus upon this imperial world.
    I hearby sign the death warrant of an entire world, and consign a million souls to oblivion.
    May Imperial Justice account in all balance.
    The Emperor Protects.

edit***
    alt post
    Stellaris Rule 34 - 15pics
    *refresh page*
    Stellaris Rule 34 - 5471pics

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    In fealty of the God-Emperor (our undying Lord) and by the Grace of the Golden Throne,
    I hearby sign the death warrant of an entire world, and consign a million souls to oblivion.
    The Emperor Protects.

edit***
    alt post
    *refresh page*

All 40k references aside I'm really curious to see how this plays out in empires that allow free migration / don't. I realized the other day while finally grinding out a Domination win with the Yondarim that you don't really get migrants as a Caste System, for example.

• Options
    Just learned that research accumulates if you're not actively researching something. Kinda wish I knew about that before :biggrin:

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Have they mentioned anything about streamlining gene tailoring? Because it's already a micro managing pain with a diverse empire I can't imagine how much more of a pain it'll become with xeno baby making.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Have they mentioned anything about streamlining gene tailoring? Because it's already a micro managing pain with a diverse empire I can't imagine how much more of a pain it'll become with xeno baby making.

Probably the same. That hybrid looks just like a custom gene seed.

I'm wondering if hybrids are even eligible for further mixing

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

Probably the same. That hybrid looks just like a custom gene seed.

I'm wondering if hybrids are even eligible for further mixing

rumors point to yes that hybrids can mix further. the only thing im wondering is if it makes my trash people more viable against open border xenophiles...

maybe paradox makes repugnant races less breed worthy, but that blorg human showcase from aspec shows no.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Huh, apparently this went up last week.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB9h0JXrx1I

Seems to be a really specific story given how Stellaris is a game where a ton of things may or may not happen. I wonder if the console version is going to have a specific campaign storyline or something.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    That looks to be a description of the War in Heaven event.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/PPn2MJ9YapI
    The Emperor Protects.

edit***
    alt post
    *refresh page*

So it looks like the Asari might become playable.

I already prefer the biological ascension path and creating hybrids that get two extra trait points just means more fodder for my eugenics experiments ways to adjust to the harsh realities of life in space.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    New expansion announced: Megacorp

https://youtu.be/hw50QvQ8-C4

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Not particularly interested in playing a Megacorp myself, but having a Space Venice/Ferengi kicking around my games could be fun.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Starting a small Space Venice would be interesting because you could stay ahead of the tech curve by avoiding the size malus to research, keep a sturdy defense force in the start of the game and eventually transition to Space East India Company and convert your defense forces to expeditionary forces. Could be a fun twist!

I'm actually a bit behind on picking up the last couple expansions (I may have bought Apocalypse but I don't think I've played a campaign with it, definitely don't have Distant Stars), so maybe I'll grab them in the Paradox sale going on this week. It's been a while so maybe I'll start a new game this weekend.

• Options
    Not particularly interested in playing a Megacorp myself, but having a Space Venice/Ferengi kicking around my games could be fun.

I've been waiting for this since Apocalypse, I've got two races ready to go. I figure I'll flip a coin and make sure the other is run by an AI as a competitor.