Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hrm.

Me: I haven’t played stellaris since a few months after release, all the dlc is on sale, maybe I’ll drop a 50 on it and catch up and play.

Me 40 minutes later: I have no idea what is going on.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Is it weird that we're getting an undead species pack before we're getting an aquatic/piscene one? That seems weird to me.

I'm not even really sure why we're getting an undead species at all. They don't feel very sci-fi. Unless they're, like, reanimated cybernetic abominations or something. Which they're not.

Hrm.

Me: I haven’t played stellaris since a few months after release, all the dlc is on sale, maybe I’ll drop a 50 on it and catch up and play.

Me 40 minutes later: I have no idea what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bln-A_3OMo8

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Yeah that’s the one. I have the anniversary pack, but I can’t recall seeing it in the species choices, I’ve only seen it on randomly generated empires and fallen empires. I’ll have take another look for it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I didn't realise the lithoid pack was more than just art. I may buy it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Zombies are actually fairly classically science fiction. Virus that causes zombification? That's sci fi baby. They're actually one of the easiest of the classical fantasy monsters to explain with science magic. Using technology babble to reanimate dead bodies? That's zombies. It's not rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night's_Dawn_Trilogy

A classic of the genre. Doesn't even really try to explain them scientifically. The dead just come back to life in a hard core sci fi world where space ship speeds are limited by g forces unless you don't mind squishing the humans inside into a paste. They proceed to ruin everything. It's zombie apocalypse in space. (It's pretty good, incidentally)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I feel like this gets asked a lot, but I still feel like I've got to be missing something --- how I get more influence? My first game back was as a devouring swarm, and I had essentially infinite influence. I decided to play as a corporation, and wow am I bottlenecked by influence. I wanted to mess around with the galactic community, and that makes me even more influence bottlenecked!

Am I missing some cool way to get more? It seems like the only way to have enough influence to be able to do cool stuff in the galactic community is to, paradoxically, engage in almost 0 diplomacy because of how much each pact drains influence now. The only two factions that exist in my empire are at 60 and 75% happinness -- do I get dramatically more influence from that if they go even higher? I'm not seeing a lot of other ways to affect my income -- my expenses are already really low and I'm still super starved for influence. I can barely expand, and have 0 spare influence for opening corporate HQs or doing galactic community stuff.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Rivals?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Unlike the other resources, you'll never get a lot of influence. You get Influence a few different ways:
    1) Making the factions in your government happy. the larger the faction, the more influence, so make sure you're setting policies and performing actions that the largest of your factions favor. This will change over the course of the game as well, so make sure to occasionally check.
    2) Rivals act as a good source of influence.
    3) Certain events will give you a one off deposit of influence.

And...that's about it. As I said, influence isn't suppose to be a large gain resource. Its really there to help limit expansion in the early game, and then to let you purchase buffs in the mid and late game.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    From the wiki:
    smmenic4tbx0.png

• Options
    Hmm, got all ready to start playing a game, spent 2 hours in the race creator instead.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Man, so this game...

So much has totally changed since release, I feel like they've sort of headed towards Victoria 3 in space a lot, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I feel playing it again a lot like playing it after release though, it's like there's a ton of potential and you can see how the game is on the edge of being awesome but there's just a lot of stuff that feels half-baked or doesn't quite fit together, and it was that way after release, and since then it seems like they've changed and expanded a ton of stuff (and removed some stuff, where did my warp drives and wormholes go? Weren't there planetary tiles and stuff at one point?) but it still kind of feels the same way, just with a lot more of it.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, the two things I think the game would benefit from are:

-Actually have end game goals that you strive for. There is a ton of narrative stuff, but it quickly runs into the 'what's the point?" after a certain number of plays. I know some say the game is better without the end goals and being a sandbox, but there is nothing that states sandbox and endgame goals must be exclusive. It could easily be another slider. It's just I've found I can only sandbox so much with the game, give me a goal to work towards. Also fill like that could help structure things for playing differently because IMO as sandbox play goes, I quickly find myself gearing into most optimal setup because their is only really one thing you need to do to get declared winner when game ends. Get a shit ton of pops that will help you win on tech, economy and whatever the other stuff was.

-This brings me to the next point. They need to revisit the importance of pops. No this doesn't mean go back to the tile system, never played it but from what I've seen, I can see how it was vastly inferior to the current game. Problem is, pops aren't just too important, it's that increasing them becomes very intrusive. If it increases pop growth, other than gene clinics, get it now, whatever else was an option can bugger off. Kind of funny that gene clinics are such crap in comparison to everything else. Need amenities, well better options. Want pop growth, not only are there better options, but you're better off use the building slot and pops for other things.

-Bonus: I also posit that they could make traits far more interesting in a few ways. Species traits really suffers from the issue that most of the best traits can be combined. IMO would be much more interesting if some traits required that you picked up certain traits or were outright incompatible. I don't mean along the lines of adaptable not playing with non-adaptable. I mean along the lines of, you picked rapid breeder, well that comes with some drawbacks. Maybe you have to take the negative trait that lowers leader lifespan because rapid breeding species don't need to live nearly as long. Also maybe rapid breeders can't pick intelligent, why does you species need to be super smart on average when it rapidly breeds and on average will turn out enough scientists for it's needs. I admit such a setup could end up being a buff to bio ascension and synthetic ascension since those would have much more freedom in trait picks, but it would at least make things more interesting at the start.

Leader traits IMO are a dumpster fire. Getting a bad leader trait always feels like a shit deal because it tends to occupy a spot that could have been a useful trait. Also because of how the game does rolls, you pretty much see arrested development on a ton of leaders and it's a super shit trait. Why look my scientist hit level two and got arrested development, do I use the console to remove said trait because it's such bullshit design that technical it's not cheating to do so or do I just discard the leader? There really isn't an interesting choice. IMO if it were me, every leader either starts out with a neutral trait, this would be yellow. Neutral would give both some bonuses, but at the same time have negative aspects. For instance, maybe maniacal scientists come with a substance abuse problem in addition to the other perks. So the player needs to decide, do they want that better scientist that will die sooner. Maybe governors that come with the corruption trait also increase the trade value of worlds they govern. So the player is left with a choice, do you want that extra trade value at the price of higher crime? Also have some events that can trigger based off of neutral leader traits. Take the corruption trait, maybe there is a chance one of your governors shady deals goes south and they get taken hostage. Do you rescue them? If you do, do you try sweeping it under the table in the face of protests or do you put them on trail. Or do you just refuse to rescue them, let them die and then deal with the resulting fallout? It would make traits for leaders interesting, rather than being annoyed when they roll a bad trait instead of a good trait. Also would be a great excuse to do away with arrested development because that trait just needs to fuck off. Other option is leaders are guaranteed a trait at level 2 and level 5. Level 2 traits are always negative and arrested development is just deleted and any traits there after are always going to be positive traits. it's not nearly as interesting as the first idea, but makes RNG less bullshit, also leaders traits continue to be bland as fuck because they are just another modifier.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hmm, got all ready to start playing a game, spent 2 hours in the race creator instead.

So much this.

Sometimes I just start it up and make a race and quit again.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Fired it up after being away from it for a very long time. Loving a lot of changes, though there isnsure a hell of lot thats way different than it used to be.

Over the last few days, I've started a few games aiming for a monarchy with many vassals. But each time I keep hitting a barrier. Neighboring empires are just too close in tech/economy, no matter how much I overpower them in fleet, to want to submit. Slicing off my own planets into vassals would do if I could even find enough to colonize. I even set habitable planets as high as it could go. Perhaps I need to dial down the number of other empires? Have it set at 9 currently for a medium galaxy. Too much?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

So much this.

Sometimes I just start it up and make a race and quit again.

Yeah, the only think I wish were that traits/races mattered a bit more. Machine and lithoid are great and I’d love to see some things like that added for other non-mamallian races. Like unique selectable plant traits, molluscoid traits, arthropoid traits, etc.

I feel like outside of the lithoids and machines right now most of the really “cool stuff” is in civics.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    One thing I'd love to have for Stellaris is as robust and granular a system for automating your player faction as Distant Worlds has. I do really like to play Stellaris, but as much as I like to play it I like to set up a bunch of different nations and watch the AI's play against eachother, and to make that more enjoyable I'd love to have more support for like, choosing policies for the AI to follow, and an easier way to get a feel for the individual AI nations and what they have going on as an observer.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I think ai is a big problem with that. In Crusader Kings you can toss a duchy to an ai with the general certainty they won’t run it in the ground and shit the bed, stellaris with sectors and vassal empires you really can’t do that.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The game would definitely benefit from some additional goals and stories to see you through to the end game. Starting around 2350 unless you find yourself in the hole there’s really not much to do other than manage your 3000 pops and wait for the end game crisis.

What I would like to see is more story content that sees you through to end game. The Worm in Waiting and Footsteps of Giants origins are such fan favorites because there is nothing else like them in the game, they are well written, and they can have a dramatic impact on the status of your empire. We need more things like this to see us through to the end game.

I would pay a good $15-20 to see five really good, long story events that take place in the mid-game to see you through to the end crisis. Ideally, these would take a while to complete, have different sub goals to achieve, and then a denouement that significantly alters your empire.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I wish I had more to do with Food. With my species choices, farms tend to be the best population housing for huge stretches of the game, but I eventually have way, way, way more food than I need, and I end up just setting most of it for an automatic sale on the galactic market for energy creds.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

It's one of the least buggy and best performing parts of the game: the menus before the game space generates.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    What galaxy settings do you all use?

Had someone suggest to me going with .5 habitable planets for 400 or 600 or .25 for bigger galaxies, .5 wormholes and gateways, xenocompatibility off, 9-12 ai empires, random max marauders, max fallen empires. Tried a hands off game with 600 stars and 12 ai empires and let it go 150 years or so, no major slowdown or anything with that setup. Small empires have about 5 colonies and blobs about 10-15 and giant empires having 20 or so which seems a nice sweet spot for having significant but not unmanageable player empires.

I installed glavous ai which was recommended to me as well.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I’ve pretty much just used default settings, 9 empires, and random 1-2 marauders/fallen empires. A sparse galaxy sounds interesting though, maybe I will give it a whirl.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The theory is that stellaris big problems come with micromanagement and pop-related endgame slowdown so reducing the number of planets in play helps that.

I feel like there should be little drawback to going max FE, 3 for a medium galaxy increases but doesn’t guarantee a chance at getting a war in heaven.

My hands off game has been uneventful, had a driven assimilators but they have been fairly tame, only did one war. For a long time they were at the top of the power chart but were overtaken. They did spawn with a couple of primitive civilizations nearby to farm organic pops from, though. The khan formed, took a big chunk out of 2 nearby empires, and promptly kicked the bucket, so the khanate is now just a normal medium sized empire. Main galactic powers are 2 democracies and a hedgemonic imperialist federation.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Hello peeps. Im digging this game but wondering if its time for a brave soul to make a fresh new thread, while this ones getting decent traffic.
    Im just a rookie but I got Q's and dont want them lost in a locked thread. :P

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    I really wish they would put in more options for spawned ai opponents.

Like “default, preset and custom only (no random ai), preset and custom opponents with random fallen empires” and then a force spawn/never spawn button for all the presets.

I’d really like to be able to guarantee the 2 human empires pop up if I’m playing my own aliens, for example, and by and large the preset empires seem a bit more interesting than a lot of the random ones that pop up.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I check every random box I am allowed to check but I always pick largest possible galaxy size.

I'm not even sure why I do this because I never actually reach endgame on any game. I just play halfway through early game, sometimes up to mid game and then by that point I'm distracted by some other game and forget about it for ages, then come back to it later and start a new race.

One day I will play a game all the way to endgame and experience this mythical slowdown!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    I made a new thread draft so if @Echo or another mod want to lock this one I guess go ahead? I won't pretend to know how this works.

There is literally a button for force spawning/never spawning custom and preset empires on the creation menu before start so I don't know exactly what you are asking for. I forced spawn blorg and a custom metal heads(a rare easteregg ai type) that I made in most of my games.
    rO1quzP.png

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's easy enough to get regular empires you want forced spawned. The issue is really with how you have zero control over fallen empires and marauders. Hell, if you decide to do a custom game and want custom portraits, the enclaves & traders also become an issue because those are three things where you really have little or no control over what you get.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, thread creation generally is up for whoever grabs it first. Unless someone dibs it in thread or something. Basically gentleperson's rules :D

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I made a new thread draft so if @Echo or another mod want to lock this one I guess go ahead? I won't pretend to know how this works.

There is literally a button for force spawning/never spawning custom and preset empires on the creation menu before start so I don't know exactly what you are asking for. I forced spawn blorg and a custom metal heads(a rare easteregg ai type) that I made in most of my games.
    rO1quzP.png

There’s no checkbox for premade races, unless you downloaded a mod for them or edited the game files.

But also I’d like to have the option to randomly pick from the whole pool rather than force spawn.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

New Dev diary. New Origin that is basically mindflayers. Parsitical empire that convets other pops into their own species. Swaps guaranteed habitable planets with primative worlds.

New civic of reanimated armies. Literally mentions necromancy so we're aproaching the "anything goes" era of a paradox game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I’m into it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I mean we already had psychics and the Void so I really dont see how necromancy is that far out there.

• Options
    I mean we already had psychics and the Void so I really dont see how necromancy is that far out there.

I think there's a relevant distinction: Psionics has always been treated as scifi magic. It accomplishes what magic does, but with lip service paid to justify it existing in science fiction. Necromancy is just flat out magic-magic.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Shrug. Accomplished via science techno magic. Stick the corpses full of implants and pump em full of specific drugs. Viola, they come back to life. Necromancy.

Anything can be justified with science techno magic.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Isn't this the zombie expansion?

I assumed this was the zombie expansion.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Isn't this the zombie expansion?

I assumed this was the zombie expansion.

More general death and undeath. The reanimated armies could be zombies though.

• Options
    My friend who lacks funds generally owns base stellaris. He can't afford any of the expansions so I wanted to buy one for him. He's interested in Federations but I'm unsure if owning a later expansion without the others causes problems?

I can only afford one.

• Options
    Stellaris' expansions are independent of one another, to the point where they've pulled content from upcoming expansions and given them to older expansions, because the content required the older expansion anyway. As an example, hiveminds were introduced in the expansion Utopia. The expansion Federations introduced the new feature of origins, and had an origin exclusively for hiveminds. Because it would require you to own two expansions to use that feature, they made the origin part of Utopia.

Also, keep in mind that the story packs are half of the price of an expansion, so you could give him two different addons for the same price. (Also keep in mind the addons go on sale rather frequently)