Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I mean, it does. You’re overwhelmed by new mechanics, but the new system is far less clicking than the old system.

They are however more important clicks

You also now have a lot more choices of what to slap down onto your planets, which is a catch 22 because you kinda have less slots overall.

It's definitely a lot to take in. Tomorrow's game is going to be wild.

Auralynx
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 6
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Yeah that’s why I’m asking. Are you running mods? I don’t think Galactic Ascendancy is a thing normally and I was wondering if I’d missed something

Oh, wow--I had never even thought of that. I thought for sure it was in the base game. Whoops, never mind then!

Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    ElvenshaeArbitraryDescriptorchrono_travellerRuldar
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm a fan of the two-tiered resource system. Having a ton of the base resources and being bottlenecked in creating consumer goods and alloys sucks. You can use the market to hobble through it, but that never feels great.

• AuralynxAuralynx Thirty-Seven Keys Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm a fan of the two-tiered resource system. Having a ton of the base resources and being bottlenecked in creating consumer goods and alloys sucks. You can use the market to hobble through it, but that never feels great.

One thing I was noticing as I watched streams (and will try out tonight) is that it seemed like an effective plan was basically to sell off your stockpiles of minerals / energy and convert them to alloys / trade goods just to more-efficiently bank resources.

Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 6

I've read that you are more or less expected to replace non-city districts with city districts over time as your need for second tier resources (and the buildings that make them) outstrip your need for minerals.

Not the least of which because the "X world" descriptors in the planetary view aren't just flavor, they are actually bonuses earned for specializing your planets in one way or another.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeMr RayRuldarNotoriusBENGennenalyse RuebenMvrck
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Registered User regular
    Which, it must be said: IS AWESOME.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them.
    3DS: Penguin: 3883 - 5570 - 4552
    AuralynxElvenshaeMoridin889CampyRuldarNotoriusBENGennenalyse Rueben
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Okay, decided to go with a ruthless megacorp. I'm also playing humans for the first time.

The United Google Conglomerate has as its home planet, of course, Google Earth.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    Mr RayThe_InfidelElvenshaechrono_travellerCorsiniCampyRuldarGennenalyse RuebenMegaMekTheColonelQuidSealTofystedeth
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Okay, decided to go with a ruthless megacorp. I'm also playing humans for the first time.

I feel like you missed your chance with Spacebook.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    ArbitraryDescriptorCampy
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I feel like you missed your chance with Spacebook.

I can't recycle my jokes even in different contexts.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    chrono_traveller
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    So it's finally become a Paradox game then.

steam_sig.png
    MegaMek
    Okay, let's see how the Ben-Tark Planning Authority do as test-cases for learning the new economy.

Survivor / Byzantine Bureaucracy should potentially let me pack a lot of reptiles / robots into a solid range of planets.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Playing some on new patch I had forgotten how incredibly influence starved gestalt empires are these days.

Might just end up playing your neighbourhood friendly drug recreational substance salesperson empire.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I think the obvious direction will be Amazon Incorporated. Humanity's home system will of course have been renamed Amazon by this point, with the home planet of course being... Amazon Prime.

PSN: Donnicton - Switch FC: SW-6944-1374-2020 - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton - BNet: Donnicton#11763
    finnithElvenshaeArbitraryDescriptorchrono_travellerCorsiniGennenalyse RuebenEvil MultifariousMvrckTofystedeth
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm playing Space Orcs.

Communist Space Orcs.

Communist Space Orcs that really like all the other races in the galaxy. Which means that, yes, they are xeno-compatible already. Now to complete the biological ascension path and I'll engineer several different kinds of super-beings. That are, of course, still equal to everyone else.

Also, in keeping with the Space Fantasy theme I got going, the Megacorp I designed is Dragon Hoard Inc. They may not be the friendliest corporation out there, but at least they're honest about their intentions.

ElvenshaeRuldar
  • OrphaneOrphane BIG CHUNGUS Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry™ SeriesRegistered User regular
    time to see if An Abyssal Dream can stand the test of a new economy system

HELLO FELLOW HUMAN HUNTERS I HEARD THE COOLEST PLACE FOR US HUNTERS TO HANG OUT IS THE COLOSSAL PILLAR OF VESPOID EGGS LETS GO DO NOT BRING WEAPONS

3DS Friend Code: 4785 - 4659 - 8670

P10's abandoned child, looking for a loving family
    Elvenshae
    I got the horizon signal on like my sixth or seventh system on this playthrough. Is that something that only spawns for Spiritual Races, because I've never seen it before.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    nah I've gotten it on non-spiritualists

BahamutZERO.gif
    nah I've gotten it on non-spiritualists

I should rephrase that as "Does it only happen if you're non-materialist"

It can spawn for anyone, it's just a rare event in general.

PSN: Donnicton - Switch FC: SW-6944-1374-2020 - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton - BNet: Donnicton#11763
    ... and I'm next door to a Fanatic Pacifist criminal megacorp that can out-expand me by a huge degree. Interesting!

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

Elvenshae
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Who was talking about the "UI Overhaul 1080p plus" mod?

Yes, those guys were on top of it. its ready for Megacorp.
    The only other people ready for Megacorp was the guys who did "Stellaris Music Expansion Pack"

everything else is redlined, naturally.

notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Elvenshae
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm wondering if my first megacorp should be Tentatek or one of the CorpoNations

65lzUOO.gif5GRFYex.gif
    oh what the fuck... my cyborgs eat food now. god dammit... I gotta completely relearn how to play assimilators.

Looks like you can see Wormhole pathing once you discover the tech but before you've technically explored them now, which will probably get corrected shortly.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Looks like you can see Wormhole pathing once you discover the tech but before you've technically explored them now, which will probably get corrected shortly.

I had a science ship auto-explore its way through one with having explored it first.

AuralynxDonnictonEtiowsa
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    oh what the fuck... my cyborgs eat food now. god dammit... I gotta completely relearn how to play assimilators.

Well I mean, cyborgs should need some kind of input. Even Robocop needed to eat baby food.

Moridin889chrono_travellerMr RayRuldarMegaMek

I had a science ship auto-explore its way through one with having explored it first.

Yeah, it's showing me pathing through them now.

Also, wow, Domination is decidedly not useless now.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

"Where does this wormhole lead? Do we even know if it's stable? Should we send a probe in first?"

"Fuck it, full speed ahead!"

AuralynxMoridin889chrono_travellerRuldarMvrckBasil
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    It worked out so well for Farscape though!

MYtio8V.jpg
    BahamutZEROMoridin889chrono_travellerRuldarBasil
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 7
    So how do you terraform inhabited planets now? I am not seeing the button.

nvm, found it. The button is tiny now

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Well, first attempt left me wildly over-producing consumer goods after discovering Fen Habbanis but otherwise doing okay. Trying out my tweaked Exalted Priesthood guys and that's going more smoothly.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    It's a bit more difficult to adjust your economy now. I need more consumer goods production, but I can't just move a pop from a +energy tile to a +goods tile. I need to build certain buildings to create the right jobs, and then wait for the population to increase to fill the jobs. I'm not complaining, it's probably an improvement, but I'm having a bit of a difficult adjustment period.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It's a bit more difficult to adjust your economy now. I need more consumer goods production, but I can't just move a pop from a +energy tile to a +goods tile. I need to build certain buildings to create the right jobs, and then wait for the population to increase to fill the jobs. I'm not complaining, it's probably an improvement, but I'm having a bit of a difficult adjustment period.

I think you can prioritize certain jobs over others, though not being home I couldn't tell you exactly how.

65lzUOO.gif5GRFYex.gif
    Its official. I now require spreadsheets to know where all my widgets are coming and going to.

ElvenshaeMvrck
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can some explain how sectors work now?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Can some explain how sectors work now?

I believe clusters of stars get grouped into sectors and any colony you found gets put in the appropriate sector.

Each sector needs/can have its own governor for the bonuses, but on the whole, 'sectors' aren't actually any different from anywhere else until you decide to automate them.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Do sectors make any difference with regards to trade and it having to go back to your capital to turn into actual profit?

I think you can prioritize certain jobs over others, though not being home I couldn't tell you exactly how.

On the Population screen, individually by colony.
    Campy wrote: »
    Do sectors make any difference with regards to trade and it having to go back to your capital to turn into actual profit?

Not that I've noticed so far!

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

First League Homeworld
    Apparently can spawn with a free Ecumenopolis in it.

Noice.

RuldarBasilskyknyt
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 7
    First League Homeworld
    Apparently can spawn with a free Ecumenopolis in it.

Noice.
    Even better, it's a fully functional Ecumenopolis even if you don't have Megacorp.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Ruldarskyknyt