Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• AuralynxAuralynx Thirty-Seven Keys Registered User regular
    edited December 7
    Foefaller wrote: »
    First League Homeworld
    Apparently can spawn with a free Ecumenopolis in it.

Noice.
    Even better, it's a fully functional Ecumenopolis even if you don't have Megacorp.
    It's, uh, not quite fully functional. There are a bunch of Ruined Arcology blockers you have to clear - got it in my Byzantine Bureaucracy game. It's thrown my whole economic plan out the window - the districts provide fancy resource production jobs, so now I don't need to be doing them on my other planets quite as badly and am phasing those buildings out, pushing yet-harder on the trend that establishes itself as you upgrade buildings.

E: Also, just to get it out of my system, in-space collection and on-planet-via-job collection of Motes / Crystals / Gases being on different techs is a really annoying split if you don't have access to a bunch of Research Alternatives to make fishing out what you want more likely. Plus side, I think between that and the Admin Cap technologies they've successfully increased which scientist specializations are useful.

Auralynx on
    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 7
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    First League Homeworld
    Apparently can spawn with a free Ecumenopolis in it.

Noice.
    Even better, it's a fully functional Ecumenopolis even if you don't have Megacorp.
    It's, uh, not quite fully functional. There are a bunch of Ruined Arcology blockers you have to clear - got it in my Byzantine Bureaucracy game. It's thrown my whole economic plan out the window - the districts provide fancy resource production jobs, so now I don't need to be doing them on my other planets quite as badly and am phasing those buildings out, pushing yet-harder on the trend that establishes itself as you upgrade buildings.

E: Also, just to get it out of my system, in-space collection and on-planet-via-job collection of Motes / Crystals / Gases being on different techs is a really annoying split if you don't have access to a bunch of Research Alternatives to make fishing out what you want more likely. Plus side, I think between that and the Admin Cap technologies they've successfully increased which scientist specializations are useful.
    Meant fully functional in a "it's not just a normal massive planet with a fancy city world look if you don't have Megacorp" way

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Auralynx
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's a bit more difficult to adjust your economy now. I need more consumer goods production, but I can't just move a pop from a +energy tile to a +goods tile. I need to build certain buildings to create the right jobs, and then wait for the population to increase to fill the jobs. I'm not complaining, it's probably an improvement, but I'm having a bit of a difficult adjustment period.

The market is the go-to system for plugging holes in your economy now. There is a lot more trading surpluses and running in the red in other commodities.

skyknytElvenshae
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The very first thing I did when I booted up Megacorp was to make the Church of Scientology. It is, of course, a subversive cult. They are charismatic and conformist.

This patch is great, having some good fun with it. I like the economy changes.

Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    Final Fantasy XIV: Spawn Broken
    Evil MultifariousAuralynxGennenalyse RuebenDonnicton
    Having surveyed the Stellaris forums, the two currently playable options that aren't working very well appear to be Machine Empires (actively being looked at because their starts are real weird in terms of initial job distribution and resource use, according to Wiz) and Criminal Megacorps, because the AI loses its mind and spams police all over if you're even near them as one.

I was able to control the AI criminals reasonably well - in spite of a Governor with a trait that increased crime, even! - with only one non-upgraded police building per colony they were trying to Branch Office. Might be a good idea to let that one wait if it was something you wanted to try.

I've noticed a couple oddities with the Authoritarian faction's approval rating for keeping your people properly Stratified which seem to relate to robots and / or gene-modding, myself, but so far everything pretty much works.

There's also a bug with Observation Posts not producing research til you save and reload the game, it seems?

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Having surveyed the Stellaris forums, the two currently playable options that aren't working very well appear to be Machine Empires (actively being looked at because their starts are real weird in terms of initial job distribution and resource use, according to Wiz) and Criminal Megacorps, because the AI loses its mind and spams police all over if you're even near them as one.

I was able to control the AI criminals reasonably well - in spite of a Governor with a trait that increased crime, even! - with only one non-upgraded police building per colony they were trying to Branch Office. Might be a good idea to let that one wait if it was something you wanted to try.

I've noticed a couple oddities with the Authoritarian faction's approval rating for keeping your people properly Stratified which seem to relate to robots and / or gene-modding, myself, but so far everything pretty much works.

There's also a bug with Observation Posts not producing research til you save and reload the game, it seems?

I'm playing as a Federation-type bunch of xenophile do-gooders, and my best buddy is the neighboring criminal empire. The dialogue is hilarious, "We have decided to trust you. More importantly, we have decided to be trustworthy. This is surprising to us, as well."

AuralynxRuldarGennenalyse RuebenEvil MultifariousLord_AsmodeusEtiowsaDonnictonDarkPrimuschrono_travellerMoridin889stopgapBasilElvenshaeTofystedeth

I'm playing as a Federation-type bunch of xenophile do-gooders, and my best buddy is the neighboring criminal empire. The dialogue is hilarious, "We have decided to trust you. More importantly, we have decided to be trustworthy. This is surprising to us, as well."

Yeah, I ended up friends with the criminals because it turns out the southern part of the galaxy is populated by jerks and I had a lot of room to expand in the other direction if I wanted to.

Regular empires seem to be pretty able to shrug off going over-cap up to about double if things are going well on your core planets, so far. It's irritating fishing for the cap booster techs, though.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    @NotoriusBEN

I'm real sorry, but I'm going to have to back out for tonight. I was just informed that I have to do an installation for work this evening and I am not pleased about this.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben Registered User regular
    Of course my first game as a megacorp began with me being boxed in by isolationist jerks who refused to make commerce agreements with me.

Have to say I already really like the new planet system. The tiles were cool, I honestly liked them a lot but they were so tedious to manage if you grew past like three planets.

Also the long-lived authoritarian blue-skinned space elves I designed actually out-populated their syncretic servants for freaking once. The AI never managed to do that with the old pops system, it always ended with like three times as many slow-breeding servile birds who inevitably rebelled and took over. So that's nice.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Of course my first game as a megacorp began with me being boxed in by isolationist jerks who refused to make commerce agreements with me.

Same issue. My neighbors are a hive mind, another megacorp, and a xenophobic empire.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    EnclaveofGnomes
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I mean. They would say that, wouldn't they?

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    EnclaveofGnomesBasilElvenshae
    edited December 7
    I got one neighbor that was a Harmonious Collective, asked for a pact before I could.

Other neighbors is less friendly, but I'm also next to the Caravaneers home system, so I've been able to buy a destroyer and cruiser from the traveling fleets that show up nearly all the tine, as well as get the local marauders to raid. Once they're done causing chaos, that will be the time to make them see things my way...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Looks like you can see Wormhole pathing once you discover the tech but before you've technically explored them now, which will probably get corrected shortly.

I had a science ship auto-explore its way through one with having explored it first.

"Where does this wormhole lead? Do we even know if it's stable? Should we send a probe in first?"

"Fuck it, full speed ahead!"

Today is a good day to die SCIENCE!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    BasilElvenshae
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-2-1-hotfix-checksum-bbf4-and-stellaris_test-beta-branch-released.1134278/

Hotfix for the game-literally-won't-launch bug and only that. Should all make sure we're running it later.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

CampyElvenshae
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So the new planet interface is daunting, but I think I have figured it out?

Districts provide basic resources and jobs/housing.

Buildings provide more complex resources and other modifiers.

Buildings are just sort of nebulous to the whole planet, and not built in any specific district? That's the thing my gamer brain keeps tying to think. That Buildings live inside Districts. But that seems not to be the case.

steam_sig.png
    Auralynx
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Buildings are just sort of nebulous to the whole planet, and not built in any specific district? That's the thing my gamer brain keeps tying to think. That Buildings live inside Districts. But that seems not to be the case.

Buildings are tied to pop level, not districts, so they're definitely detached from what districts you build.

Elvenshae

Buildings are tied to pop level, not districts, so they're definitely detached from what districts you build.

Okay, good, I think I have it then.

But damned if I didn't keep trying to figure out what building was in what district for the longest time.

steam_sig.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Which discord will we be using for the game tonight?

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    i'll see if i can link @Lord_Asmodeus 's discord

i just walked in the door to the house, im getting cleaned up of all the diesel and then I'll get the lobby started.

notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    edited December 7

i just walked in the door to the house, im getting cleaned up of all the diesel and then I'll get the lobby started.

I thought this wasn't happening for another hour?

EDIT: Discord link doesn't work for me, FYI.

Undead Scottsman on
    https://discord.gg/RxnPM5 - that one should, they expire.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

I thought this wasn't happening for another hour?

EDIT: Discord link doesn't work for me, FYI.

Yes I don't think it starts for another hour but I know I am making sure I have discord updated and stuff.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    yea, its not starting until 4pm. I just like getting stuff set up before the party

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Hey dudes/dudettes, I'm way tired from a long-ass day so won't be joining tonight. Make sure to purge/enslave/hug the xenos for me!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I like the trade route system, but I don't really like that my stations collect 'trade value' and shuttle it back to the capital where it turns into energy credits. If it were something more like bringing the goods your mining stations are collecting back, that would make more sense to me.

I do really like the patrolling system to prevent piracy. My ships do more than sit at home for a hundred years.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben Registered User regular

Okay, good, I think I have it then.

But damned if I didn't keep trying to figure out what building was in what district for the longest time.

I find the terminology's a bit wonky given we're building stuff on a planetary scale. Like, if Earth has room for only say 18 districts? Then districts must be absolutely massive, more than most countries! So a City District is actually a super New York City (or perhaps expanding smaller cities into NYC sized cities), a Farming District is basically what the midwestern US is today, a mining district...I don't think there's a real world equivalent?

Meanwhile, since Buildings are tied to population they are probably (mostly) representative of something more distributed. It's not likely that one massive police enforcer station could cover the entire planet effectively, so it's probably something closer to establishing or expanding the pre-existing law enforcement on a planetary scale.

Or maybe I've put way too much thought into how this stuff works. Probably that one!

I feel like buildings should more accurately be called 'Industries' or something like that.

steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    The administration cap puts a harsh stop to my usual strategy of early rapid expansion.

Quid wrote: »
    The administration cap puts a harsh stop to my usual strategy of early rapid expansion.

You are expected to go over the cap. It's just the point where the size penalties start, as opposed to the old way where they began the moment you did any expansion whatsoever.

steam_sig.png
    AuralynxLord_AsmodeusElvenshaeRuldar
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Argh. I had basically no contact with any other empires for years, because I started a bit farther out, and when I finally find a cluster of empires, there's a goddamn criminal monopoly that's put branch offices on every single planet because they had a massive diplomatic head start.

That's really irritating.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    Argh. I had basically no contact with any other empires for years, because I started a bit farther out, and when I finally find a cluster of empires, there's a goddamn criminal monopoly that's put branch offices on every single planet because they had a massive diplomatic head start.

That's really irritating.

It's pretty easy to get those under control with just one building slot for police, from experience. You can even leave them extant, because the Criminal jobs, uh, prevent unemployment.

Multiplayer game: success. We definitely hugboxed it a bit, but we're all off to some kind of start even if I am literally surrounded by hostile empires, other megacorps, and @Frozenzen 's hive mind, which is... not an ideal start as a megachurch.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

edited December 8
    fun game tonight.

frozenzen was a hive mind, I was a machine mind, and we thought it was cool to get a defense pact.
    2.2 is really fun, there are way more widgets to juggle now, and that's a bit of a good thing. the only problem was that when we went to war, my energy spiraled out of control and I had no idea how to get it back on track.

The devs renamed a LOT of stuff and added others. I need a wiki just to go through what has been named and how it works with other things. I was trying desperately to find pop rocks, vespene gas, and teldari crystals when there were technologies that let me convert minerals into those resources. :x
    You CANNOT just go clicking things and spamming buildings (at least without knowing what they do...) planet build decisions MATTER now

also... because there is no optimum worker/tile placement... the AI got a buff in that regard. Just need to choose which of 4 districts they want instead of a correct choice out of like a factor 25ish number

NotoriusBEN on
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yeah @Auralynx your start was almost as bad as it was possible excepting a hostile player instead of one that basically just built food and energy structures for the first few decades.

And the new resource system is really messing me up. After getting a basically perfect start surrounded by nonagressive players and being able to just grow my population I have no idea what to do. Finding the balance of +basic resources and converters to useful resources is pretty hard. I guess it will come with time. Converting an economic powerhouse into a strong military takes a lot of work now.

NotoriusBEN
    I spent most of that game going going into the red on resource A and then by th etime that evened out I was in the red on resource B. Good times.

My cat empire did pretty good. There was one moment during my first war where my economy just collapsed but once the war ended and the primitives I had conquered calmed down it evened out.

Frozenzen wrote: »
    Yeah Auralynx your start was almost as bad as it was possible excepting a hostile player instead of one that basically just built food and energy structures for the first few decades.

And the new resource system is really messing me up. After getting a basically perfect start surrounded by nonagressive players and being able to just grow my population I have no idea what to do. Finding the balance of +basic resources and converters to useful resources is pretty hard. I guess it will come with time. Converting an economic powerhouse into a strong military takes a lot of work now.

I'm starting to think that basically Paradox has us working against ourselves with most of the buildings and extractors siphoning potential workers from basic resource production, but we'll see. I've definitely got the hang of building a fairly-stable economy at this point, though I haven't been able to figure out how to do it before the mid-game or militarize.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

Yea, you gotta be careful because a building will establish itself, but it wont go into effect until next month. If you have multiple constructions popping off, it can very easily unbalance your economy, as well as what Aura said about working against yourself. Case and point If you put down a bunch of alloy forges, your workers will go there and *not* stay at the mineral mines... that are needed for making the alloys in the first place. As well as energy generation taking a hit because techs might go to the forge and that 4energy upkeep is actually, 6 or 7 because a tech decided to switch jobs. @[email protected]

Yea, you gotta be careful because a building will establish itself, but it wont go into effect until next month. If you have multiple constructions popping off, it can very easily unbalance your economy, as well as what Aura said about working against yourself. Case and point If you put down a bunch of alloy forges, your workers will go there and *not* stay at the mineral mines... that are needed for making the alloys in the first place. As well as energy generation taking a hit because techs might go to the forge and that 4energy upkeep is actually, 6 or 7 because a tech decided to switch jobs. @[email protected]

Also, a thing I've been noticing in single-player especially is that jobs tend to outstrip pop growth by a lot, and pops prefer to come into existence doing the middle-tier ones and not the basic ones, which is definitely responsible for some of the weird swings in food, in particular, that I've been seeing.

5f0qjnu1xfzo.png

NotoriusBEN
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 8
    I haven't noticed but does the game automatically place pops in jobs they're suited for if you have more than one species, like thrifty pops as technicians?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    65lzUOO.gif5GRFYex.gif
    edited December 8
    I haven't noticed but does the game automatically place pops in jobs they're suited for if you have more than one species, like thrifty pops as technicians?

It's supposed to try, yeah, but it seems to prioritize the more-prestigious ones over the basic ones to a certain extent all else being equal / all good jobs being full.

Just got a weird, possibly-related thing where it bumped every single member of an immigrant species with nothing that should job bias it to anything but Soldier into the middle tier once I finished The Flesh Is Weak. Fortunately I could just move them all onto Fen Habbanis, but it was weird for a minute.

Things you're assimilating become unemployed, as well, it looks like, which was a surprise.

E: A dedicated farming world seems pretty doable just by spamming out the districts and agriculture-related buildings and maybe a few other things, since you could keep the available jobs pretty close to the number of available workers, but especially when you hit the 10 jobs / building upgrades you just have more opportunities than space-things to take them. I'd be interested to see what fast-growing Fanatic Xenophobes can do.

E2: The whole post-secondary "convert consumer goods to unity and X" economy is also a little weird thus far, but in a good way.

Auralynx on
    5f0qjnu1xfzo.png