As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics! New Heroes! New Justice League! Old Watchmen! Aquaman Movie!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Looks like DC might have subtly acknowledged Marvel's nod to them in Infinity Countdown #1 with a panel featuring Booster Gold and Skeets from this week's Action Comics.
    XeOlsdS.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Silencer #2 was much better than the first issue and also blatantly John Wick as fuck which I am absolutely fine with
    zpcWxBw.jpg?1
    a6vaWXJ.jpg
    gHUW3ZX.jpg

I am here for DCU John-Wick-But-Shes-A-Mom

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    JLA/Doom Patrol was very good but I’m still trying to process it

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    how dare you

Don't worry that it's only 6 issues. After it ends there'll be a six issue Deadshot mini (Deadshot: Imposter Syndrome) by Christos Gage and Stuart Immonen.

A Deadshot impersonator has been killing different assassins and Floyd travels the globe trying to find the imposter while running from assassins guilds hunting him for the framed murders.

God damn you

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    how dare you

Don't worry that it's only 6 issues. After it ends there'll be a six issue Deadshot mini (Deadshot: Imposter Syndrome) by Christos Gage and Stuart Immonen.

A Deadshot impersonator has been killing different assassins and Floyd travels the globe trying to find the imposter while running from assassins guilds hunting him for the framed murders.

God damn you

I'm not the best there is, but I'm good at what I do.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    how dare you

God damn you

I'm not the best there is, but I'm good at what I do.

And what you’re good at isn’t very nice.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I haven't been reading any dc since like...after 52. It's been awhile. Where would one jump in? And what's with this milk man stuff?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Milk Wars is a mini-event in which DC's "Young Animal" titles, which is their current 90s-Vertigo-esque imprint for weird stuff, cross over with some regular DC Universe stuff. It's very Morrison-y, involving a company called RetCo using special milk to brainwash all of DC's heroes. Here's a good guide to it all: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2018/01/28/milk-wars-reading-order-checklist/

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I haven't been reading any dc since like...after 52. It's been awhile. Where would one jump in? And what's with this milk man stuff?

You can't go wrong if you start with the DC Universe Rebirth #1. It's an 80 page one shot and it sets up a couple storylines and a central mystery (which is not a mystery anymore by this point??). From there you can go with whatever catches your eye post Rebirth. DC comics has been well received and is doing really good story wise at the moment so pick your favorite character and I'm confident that you'll like what you are reading.

If you pick up Superman though, fair warning, you are gonna need a bit more context on his situation.

As for the Milk Wars story. It's from Young Animal which is an imprint curated by Gerard Way from MCR. You can start from the beginning no problem and the highlight books are..... all of them!! Doom Patrol, for example, is written by Way and is super weird and great and weird.

Armoroc on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, rebirth has been nothing but a success.

• Options
    u2rlv4avph9l.jpg
    A line of four books, The Dreaming, Lucifer, House of Whispers and Books of Magic, curated by Gaiman and launching with an extra sized one shot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hello I am here for Si Spurrier Sandman

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Hello I am here for Si Spurrier Sandman
    I would prefer Spurrier Lucifer but yes yes yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Nalo Hopkinson writes House of Whispers, which features a cover by Yanick Paquette. Hopkinson was hand-picked by Gaiman, who told EW, “if we’re gonna do House of Whispers, if we’re going to do Erzulie and have all this voodoo lore stuff, then I want Nalo to do it because there isn’t anybody better.” The series’ will explore the mystery of the tutelar house’s appearance alongside the House of Mystery and House of Secrets.

Books of Magic, which will feature the new adventures of Tim Hunter, will be scripted by Cat Howard. “She has the touch, she understands the magic,” Gamain promises.

Assuring fans he understands that previous creators have left an indelible stamp on Lucifer, Gamin assures Dan Watters is more than up to the task of scripting the next chapter in the life of comic book readers’ favorite fallen angel. “Dan is smart and deep, and he gets it,” Gaiman said. “He’s up to the challenge of ‘Okay, can you recreate this thing?'”

Finally, Si Spurrier will take readers back to The Dreaming. The new series will once again be set in the Sandman’s kingdom. Of course, it will feature the return of fan-favorite supporting characters like Mervyn Pumpkinhead, Lucien the librarian and Matthew the Raven as they attempt to keep things running in the absence of their ruler, Dream.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Wait is this a new Lucifer different from the new Lucifer launched a few years ago or is it all the same

• Options
    I believe it will be different Lucifer and that the one from a few years ago was a fairly standalone thing designed after the TV show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Covers:
    82niw5blgvof.jpg
    damn8ukecpdp.jpg
    f1gut8rki62y.jpg
    0bvcr1h17euh.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Covers:
    f1gut8rki62y.jpg

Oh I love Harry Potter

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Covers:
    f1gut8rki62y.jpg

Oh I love Harry Potter
    Isn't that the whole thing with Books of Magic though? It came out first and Potter blew up so they started leaning into it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Books of Magic, and Tim Hunter, first debuted in 1990. The first Harry Potter book didn't come out until 1997.

I'm not sure they've really leaned into it in any way that I can recall though.

• Options
    I might be mixing it up with The Unwritten in my head

Either way, they're well aware of it now
    “Mostly what I’m looking forward to is going to that idea and starting it again in 2018,” he told Entertainment Weekly. “Books of Magic was an idea I came up with and did 30 years ago and loved and had an enormous amount of fun with. It was pre-Harry Potter, and the idea of a bespectacled, tousled 12-year-old boy with an owl learning magic was this sort of weird new thing we were trying to figure out as it went along. I love the idea of starting that again now, because now you’re in a universe in which everybody and their brother knows how that kind of story ought to go. Now we’re going to go back and look at ways it can go, both lighter and darker (he said, picking his words with care), than the original. With that one, we’re taking this comic book approach that reminds me a little bit of what DC did when they came up with the concept of Earth One. They took the Flash, and you created the Barry Allen Flash and let the Jay Garrick Flash be the Flash of Earth Two. It’s a new Tim Hunter for a new time, and the old Tim Hunter may well have existed, and that may actually have ramifications for us a little bit down the line.”

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    When asked whether he thought Rowling was ripping off Books of Magic, Gaiman has been quoted as saying "I thought we were both stealing from T.H. White"

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Anyhow I hope the Trenchcoat Brigade show up

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Unwritten leaned into Harry Potter for sure at the begining, before it went full meta.

By the way, The Unwritten is amazing and more people should read it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The Unwritten leaned into Harry Potter for sure at the begining, before it went full meta.

By the way, The Unwritten is amazing and more people should read it.
    It is so goddamn good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    When asked whether he thought Rowling was ripping off Books of Magic, Gaiman has been quoted as saying "I thought we were both stealing from T.H. White"

Yes. He did say this.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    unwritten, huh? well then how the heck am I supposed to read it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It's got pictures!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

It's got pictures!

well alright then, I love a good book-lookin' as much as the next fella

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Just skip the Fables crossover.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Release your inhibitions, feel the rain on your skin

• Options
    Huh, apparently New Challengers is gonna be a 6 issue mini rather than ongoing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Article about DC's Batgirl movie being stalled had an interesting tidbit at the end.
    In addition, a cloud looms over Warner Bros. because of the lawsuit by the Department of Justice against AT&T’s $85 billion bid to buy studio parent company Time Warner.

If the merger fails, an individual close to the company told TheWrap that Time Warner would likely be broken up into parts and sold separately as Warner Bros., HBO and Turner — leaving the fate of DC Comics a bit up in the air.

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-dc-batgirl-movie/

Man, between this, Disney buying Fox and then the rumored Sony selloff, what the hell is happening with the movie industry?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

That's not an exaggeration, but good, honest advice. It was both bad and entirely pointless, having no effect on either book.

• Options
    DC is offering the #1 issues of Powers, Takio, Brilliant, United States of Murder, Inc. And Scarlet for free, digitally, as Bendis' Jinxworld books are now officially part of the DC library

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

That's not an exaggeration, but good, honest advice. It was both bad and entirely pointless, having no effect on either book.
    Yeah, I don't remember this crossover even happening.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, I don't remember this crossover even happening.

Most annoying thing was, I was reading in trades and it's published as Unwritten Volume 9 instead of a seperate thing. While "Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice" is published as outside of the regular series...

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The best thing I can say about The Unwritten is that it's for people who liked The Sandman and/or Lucifer, with how they embrace stories and mythology and mythos, but then take it to a whole new/different meta level.

It eases you into it, but man does it go meta eventually. There aren't many comics like it around.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I completely forgot the unwritten existed until just now, which is weird because I absolutely loved it

This discussion has been closed.