Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Learning (how) to avoid attacks from enemies is huge. Every time someone in our group has uttered something like "I'll let that guy hit me, it won't be a big deal" it's been a disaster. It's especially important to figure out how to open doors in such a way that the door-opener doesn't immediately get hit by every enemy in the new room.

Scenario 1 is IMO reasonably representative of what most of the game will be like (note, I'm still not terribly far in). Scenario 2 is a miserable hell that I could see turning off new players so much that they give up the game.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there should definitely be a couple of scenarios between 1 and 2, because 2 can swing into impossible real fast with a couple of bad monster action draws.

Also yes, you should play it like Souls, where getting hit is a last resort. You can tank to a degree with certain builds, but you need to go all-in on it, or even the chip damage will wear you down. Hordes of weak, ranged enemies are basically the devil, and have ruined our missions faster than any boss ever could.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    FryVyolynce
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Question about the craghart.
    Does he damage allies with his damage to adjacent tiles text on many of his cards?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades 地獄のようにかわいい あなたは嫉妬深いかRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Does he damage allies with his damage to adjacent tiles text on many of his cards?

His cards specify when allies are damaged, and you can’t opt out of that

ジェイムズ・ブラウンの好きな色は何ですか?
    青!
    AuralynxVyolynce
    RickRude wrote: »

His cards specify when allies are damaged, and you can’t opt out of that

So by that do you mean if the card doesn't specifically say it does allies damage , it doesn't ? I only briefly looked at the deck but it seemed most of them were vague in that it just say dmg to adjacent tiles, and I didn't see the word ally on any of them.

If I recall, the relevant cards say something like "all adjacent enemies and allies to the target suffer X damage" or the like. Allies can't be targeted by attacks normally; even area attacks just "target" all enemies within that area.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    joshofalltradesVyolynce
    If I recall, the relevant cards say something like "all adjacent enemies and allies to the target suffer X damage" or the like. Allies can't be targeted by attacks normally; even area attacks just "target" all enemies within that area.

I'll relook through the deck but I remember it being pretty general." Do damage to all adjacent tiles " or something like that, and assumed it did FF dmg. Made me think he was really hard to play and went to the brute.

Also, if your goal card says don't have any of your allies to be exhausted, is it OK if you got exhausted yourself?

Also, would there be any interest in starting a game via TTS?

Cragheart guide on reddit

The actual guide itself is on imgur and is just a gallery of pictures of all the class cards (don't read the captions if you don't want to see discussion/suggestions about what cards to use and how). From a quick look over the cards it seems pretty obvious to me which ones hit your allies - were there any particular cards you had questions about?

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So we failed the first scenario on Friday since we used up a bunch of our lost card abilities from the get-go, whoops!

So I had a question about failing the scenario the rule book didn't really specify, do we get insta transported back to gloomhaven or can we just try the scenario all over again from Room 1?

edited July 9
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So we failed the first scenario on Friday since we used up a bunch of our lost card abilities from the get-go, whoops!

So I had a question about failing the scenario the rule book didn't really specify, do we get insta transported back to gloomhaven or can we just try the scenario all over again from Room 1?

You've got two options, you can either re-play the scenario as-is, or you can go back to town. If you go back to town, you can do the usual town stuff (spend gold on items, donate to the church, level up if you got enough XP), and optionally have a town event. Then you MUST have a road event when you walk back to the scenario.

(edit: refer to "Travelling and Road Events," top of page 41)

Fry on
    ElvenshaeAuralynxRiokennVyolynce
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    @RickRude You're not an ally of yourself (see the FAQ), and there's no friendly fire unless explicitly stated on the effect.

I play as Spellweaver. I use this guide on boardgamegeek.

In my opinion, the trick to the spellweaver is to be judicious in the use of spells that are lost after use, and wait with reviving ether as long as possible. Also, buy the potion that allows you to recover discarded cards.

Use the reusable spells (including the move part of ether) and the default ones on the non-reusable ones. Then short rest when you have nothing left in your hand. (If you're unlucky and lose ether when resting, spend 1 HP to lose another card instead). Then repeat until you have to use ether (due to all your cards being lost); then use ether and start over again. At strategic points during this entire process, use your cards that are lost after use (e.g., your multi-target spells when there's lots of juicy targets). In a couple of scenarios you'll know what to use when.

One final thing: Your best spell (other than ether) is impaling eruption. The trick is, the targets chosen don't have to be in a straight line; you just have to be able to trace a (winding) path to the final target.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Auralynx
    edited July 9
    IMO Fire Orbs is a little better than Impaling Eruption (how often do you get 4+ targets with Impaling Eruption?), but they're pretty close. And it's perfectly reasonable to have and use both of them.

Interesting thing to me is that BGG guide has significantly different card selections than this imgur guide but both writers agree that it's a very strong class :P

Fry on
    Cantide
    Looking over the cragheart cards again I'm not sure what was confusing me at first, they seem pretty straight forward now.

ElvenshaeFryPsychoCucumber
    edited July 10
    2nd group played last night and we failed the first Scenario. (2 losses for me :L )
    Not sure what I am doing wrong or we are just getting awful Monster modifiers. Is it possible to make a new guy and play a different class? Do I keep the same Personal Quest as my previous class or get a new PQ for him?

Also had a question about ability cards. Say you wanted to move your guy with one card and attack with the other. If another player kills a Monster before your turn and there is nothing to attack do you just move to the intended hex and do nothing? To add to this question, say you have two cards left in your hand and they both say lost, so you just opt to do standard move and attack but there is nothing to attack after you move, is that a valid play or do you HAVE to play the ability that loses a card. (For example if it said at the top part go invisible with the Lost icon)

Riokenn on
    edited July 10
    2nd group played last night and we failed the first Scenario. (2 losses for me :L )
    Not sure what I am doing wrong or we are just getting awful Monster modifiers. Is it possible to make a new guy and play a different class? Do I keep the same Personal Quest as my previous class or get a new PQ for him?

Also had a question about ability cards. Say you wanted to move your guy with one card and attack with the other. If another player kills a Monster before your turn and there is nothing to attack do you just move to the intended hex and do nothing? To add to this question, say you have two cards left in your hand and they both say lost, so you just opt to do standard move and attack but there is nothing to attack after you move, is that a valid play or do you HAVE to play the ability that loses a card. (For example if it said at the top part go invisible with the Lost icon)

You can start a new character at any time. If you don't like the class you're playing, might as well! Should probably draw a new personal quest, and if you don't plan on ever playing the old character again, I'd shuffle the old character's quest back into the deck.

You don't have to decide what you're doing with either of the cards you play until it's your turn in the initiative order. At the start of the round, choose which two cards you're playing, and which of those two cards you intend to use for initiative. Then when your turn comes up, you have four options: top half of card A, bottom half of card A, top half of card B, bottom half of card B. Then do the other half of the other card. It doesn't necessarily need to be what you "intended" when you chose those cards! Nor is there any rule about having to move before attack, nor is there any rule about having to do a top half before doing a bottom half, nor is there a rule about using the card with lower initiative first. If someone killed the monster you meant to attack, maybe you can move to a different monster and attack that, or maybe you can go pick up some loot, or heal someone (if that's an option on one of your cards), etc.

When you choose half of a card to use, you can either do the main text of that half, or you can do the basic action there (attack 2/move 2). If you choose to do the basic action, the card is not lost (as the "lose this card" effect is part of the main text). Yes, you can choose to Attack 2 even if there isn't a valid target.

Fry on
    RiokennVyolynceElvenshaeHedgethorn
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Should probably draw a new personal quest, and if you don't plan on ever playing the old character again, I'd shuffle the old character's quest back into the deck.

Since you're going to be stuck with the Personal Quest for a long time, I would suggest trying to find one that is in keeping with the character. So my Scoundrel had a quest that involved inventing the Perfect Poison; Brute had to fight lots of different monsters; Gadget had to visit many different locations.

If you're really not liking the six starter classes, I would suggest trying one of the others. Do a little research online to read the basics of each class, you are bound to find one that you like. I found Cthulhu to be very, very powerful if you're looking for a character with more oomph.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Should probably draw a new personal quest, and if you don't plan on ever playing the old character again, I'd shuffle the old character's quest back into the deck.

Since you're going to be stuck with the Personal Quest for a long time, I would suggest trying to find one that is in keeping with the character. So my Scoundrel had a quest that involved inventing the Perfect Poison; Brute had to fight lots of different monsters; Gadget had to visit many different locations.

Those are the exact PQs my group's Brute and Scoundrel had/have (respectively), and our Cragheart had your Tinkerer's. Weird.

Fairchild
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Something tells me those are the PQ's that are on top of the deck if you forget to shuffle it...

Not likely. I assume they'd be in numerical order. Plus everyone gets a choice of two.

Had a question about this Mindtheif Card

So if you use the bottom ability to control an archer to smack another archer right next to it, is it using melee or do archers always and forever use range? If the latter the controlled enemy has disadvantage for Monster Modifier right?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That sounds right, @Riokenn .

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Wife retired her Cragheart and is now an angryface guy. Next scenario I retired my brute and am now a Three arrows guy.

The sun guy is in the wings just in case.

Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

So if you use the bottom ability to control an archer to smack another archer right next to it, is it using melee or do archers always and forever use range? If the latter the controlled enemy has disadvantage for Monster Modifier right?

Correct. The Mindthief card in question says Range +0, so it uses whatever is the default attack style of the enemy in question. Archers, for instance, will use ranged attack up to the maximum range listed on the enemy class card, and so if attacking an adjacent enemy they will draw disadvantage.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Correct. The Mindthief card in question says Range +0, so it uses whatever is the default attack style of the enemy in question. Archers, for instance, will use ranged attack up to the maximum range listed on the enemy class card, and so if attacking an adjacent enemy they will draw disadvantage.

That card seems odd... Per the FAQ, if the attack has a ranged symbol in it, it is a ranged attack. So, no matter who the target is this card makes them perform a ranged attack.

Elvenshae
    edited July 11
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

That card seems odd... Per the FAQ, if the attack has a ranged symbol in it, it is a ranged attack. So, no matter who the target is this card makes them perform a ranged attack.

So then probably isn't a good idea to use it on a Bandit Guard then since they have no range but are range attacking and gaining disadvantage?

Riokenn on
    edited July 11
    Submissive Affliction just causes the enemy to make their normal attack, but at Attack 2 instead of their usual damage. Melee attacks are technically attacks at range 1, anyway. From the FAQ:
    For the bottom action, note that there is no plus on the attack line, but there is a plus in the range. This means that the enemy performs an "Attack 2" on another enemy within its base range. Any added effects from the monster's stat card are also applied to the attack, and the monster uses the monster attack modifier deck. This is not a targeted ability.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    HedgethornVyolynceRiokenn
    Finally got another session in. We went back and did Scenario 3, was a meatgrinder but we managed to get through. Didn't manage to get to the treasure chest though, there was just too much beef to carve through and we couldn't spare the time/HP to rush through and grab it.

The rest of the party made it to level 3. I'm really pretty unimpressed with my options for new cards as a Scoundrel, they both seem uninspiring. My choices are basically "attack for 3 damage with a small extra effect" which describes basically my entire deck, or a Lost attack that I can't afford to play ever because I'm a Scoundrel. :X Everyone else seems to get totally sweet new cards, like the new card our Brute got seems amazing on both halves, WTF.

At least my modifier deck is getting really lean. Pruned out four -1s and four 0s, so my 12 card deck has like three bad cards and the rest is positive modifiers.

If it's any consolation, I think that the Scoundrel has the best set of starter cards of any of the basic six classes.

Well, second-best, the Spellweaver's cards are awesome but they are all one use and out.

You're right, tho, I kinda wish that GLOOMHAVEN's devs had taken a longer look at making the level-up cards more meaningful for many classes. Two-Boxes has the same problem.

I'm sure the Scoundrel's starter cards would feel better if I could ever trigger the "you have an ally next to the target" conditions. I am able to do that maybe once per mission. In a four player team. It's maddening, it seems like this should be a piece of cake, but it's not. The problems I think are threefold:

- two of the characters in the party have no incentive to move close to the enemies (Tinkerer, Spellweaver)
    - the other character (Brute) is a melee-ish character, but he's very slow both on initiative and movement speed
    - Scoundrel's initiatives are all extremely high or extremely low

It's very hard to coordinate a joint movement with the Brute, so generally an enemy has to end the round adjacent to one of my allies and then I can maybe go first and stab it the next round. In practice that's a pretty rare occurrence.

• SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    Summoning items can be a handy way to get out of that limitation on- demand. Make sure you're using slow initiative cards to dart in and attack, ideally next to an ally, and fast ones to hit and get out. Use your repositioning tools like Sinister Opportunity and the one that pulls enemies to get them into the danger zone. Your secret weapon is definitely your modifier deck-- it's the second best one in the game, and the character who has the technically best one doesn't really use it. No one can deal damage dependably above the printed card value like Scoundrel.

edited July 15
    Last minute Gloomhaven question.
    I have a game starting up in 2 hours and our 4th Player can't make it. But we have a 5th player who wants to play the game.
    1) Can he create a new character and join the existing campaign party?
    2) I notice in the rules we can play casually instead of Campaign. If he loots the Treasure Chest in casual mode would it still appear in Campaign Mode? (Says in the rules you can still loot chest in casual mode)
    3)Can we bring our Campaign characters into casual mode with the 5th player and save EXP/Monies/anything else for our Campaign guys?
    Edit 4) Our party hasn't even beaten the first scenario, can we even bring our guys to casual and try it out there?

Riokenn on
    Last minute Gloomhaven question.
    I have a game starting up in 2 hours and our 4th Player can't make it. But we have a 5th player who wants to play the game.
    1) Can he create a new character and join the existing campaign party?
    2) I notice in the rules we can play casually instead of Campaign. If he loots the Treasure Chest in casual mode would it still appear in Campaign Mode? (Says in the rules you can still loot chest in casual mode)
    3)Can we bring our Campaign characters into casual mode with the 5th player and save EXP/Monies/anything else for our Campaign guys?
    Edit 4) Our party hasn't even beaten the first scenario, can we even bring our guys to casual and try it out there?

Doing scenarios in casual mode that you haven't already beaten in campaign mode is discouraged; it's really just so you can replay missions and grab any missed chests, or if someone wants to see a neat scenario that was played while they were away or something. Just play in campaign mode; the game balances itself around whatever party members you've got.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    ElvenshaeRiokenn
    Fry wrote: »
    I'm sure the Scoundrel's starter cards would feel better if I could ever trigger the "you have an ally next to the target" conditions. I am able to do that maybe once per mission. In a four player team. It's maddening, it seems like this should be a piece of cake, but it's not. The problems I think are threefold:

- two of the characters in the party have no incentive to move close to the enemies (Tinkerer, Spellweaver)
    - the other character (Brute) is a melee-ish character, but he's very slow both on initiative and movement speed

It's very hard to coordinate a joint movement with the Brute, so generally an enemy has to end the round adjacent to one of my allies and then I can maybe go first and stab it the next round. In practice that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Shouldn't have to coordinate joint movement in the same turn. Brute moves one turn, then you move at the start of the next turn (literally on init 3 or 4 if my party's Scoundrel is any indication) and plan around where everything has wound up. Then everything else moves again.

If anything, the harder part of the Scoundrel's flanking attacks is getting a monster away from its allies, not getting your allies adjacent to them.

Vyolynce wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »

Shouldn't have to coordinate joint movement in the same turn. Brute moves one turn, then you move at the start of the next turn (literally on init 3 or 4 if my party's Scoundrel is any indication) and plan around where everything has wound up. Then everything else moves again.

If anything, the harder part of the Scoundrel's flanking attacks is getting a monster away from its allies, not getting your allies adjacent to them.

You'd think, and yet somehow that doesn't seem to end up the case. Part of it is the Brute doesn't end every turn adjacent to enemies, and part of it may be that the Tinkerer and Spellweaver are killing those adjacent enemies at the end of the round, rather than prioritizing targets that are further away. I'll have to try to pay more attention to that, but I'm still trying to figure out my own moves, and also keeping an eye on what all of the monsters are doing. Micromanaging the other players is still a bit beyond me :P

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Screw Wind Daemons and Archers and pretty much any enemy with low initiative and long range attacks. We just slogged our way through an early scenario (avoiding spoilers here) and nearly lost to a group of archers that stayed together and focus fired us down. We've gotten really good at dealing with slow moving melee types but you can't avoid damage from archers who start in good positioning and then draw a bunch of move and attack actions. Wind Daemons and their flying movement and base shields are especially annoying and our usual mindthief/scoundrel plan of "kill them before they can hurt us" doesn't work too well when the wind daemons go impossibility quickly.

We won but I'm slightly upset because I missed a golden opportunity to charge in and loot everything in the last room. It would have meant my certain death but I was low on cards anyway and the rest of the group could have finished the scenario. Now we'll never know what was in that treasure chest because I don't think anyone will want to deal with that scenario again.

Still a great game and looking forward to our next play session.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Got to play this proper, ie, not solo, and I love it!

Met a fellow gamer in TTS through the steam forums, who got tts then bought the game proper after playing it. He had a real good grasp on monster movement and upkeep so I just got to play

He was the cragheart, me the spell weavery , aND we managed to complete the first two scenarios. He totally carried us in the second scenario as I got exhausred and used my last move to grab a chest, heh.

Really looking forward to our next play session, as I just hit level 2 and have 27 gold to play with owning both the goggles and a stamina potion.

Really want to buy this proper but afraid my gf won't like it. I love it though

ElvenshaeVyolynce
    Played again last night and again, one enemy short of completing the Scenario. :( But hey atleast we are getting better.
    Though I had one question about the Tinkerer's Net Shooter:
    egz9h69zb5h4.png

I know we have to go top to bottom and do as much as we can when doing abilities. So since I have no enemy next to me I can't Move 2 right? (I know it's the bottom half of the card for a natural Move 2 but ignore that for the sake of the question)

I'd say that you can move 2. If there's no enemy that qualifies for the Immobilize condition, you don't execute the Immobilize and proceed to the Move 2.

VyolynceElvenshaeSaurfangInfidelCantide