Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

11719212223

Posts

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Cerberus wrote: »
    How bad are oozes. Just about to hit our first mission with them

    My condolences...

    That bad?
    I'm glad we are back to level 2 enemies due to my character change then.
    Any tips?

    Hit them hard and fast before they have a chance to divide. Failing that, hope they divide themselves to death.

    Also, get used to those bastards. You're going to be seeing them for quite a while depending on where you go.

    Auralynxtaoofshinsei
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Can we help them divide to death, for example using obstacles created by the Cragheart?

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Can we help them divide to death, for example using obstacles created by the Cragheart?

    No, it's triggered by one of their action cards. IIRC it's a reshuffle so it's always in the deck.

  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Can we help them divide to death, for example using obstacles created by the Cragheart?

    No, it's triggered by one of their action cards. IIRC it's a reshuffle so it's always in the deck.

    So yes, in a way, if you can box them in a corner or something. The slimes are another of many mid-Gloomhaven progression problems that are helped pretty noticeably by having access to Piercing in some form.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 6
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Can we help them divide to death, for example using obstacles created by the Cragheart?

    No, it's triggered by one of their action cards. IIRC it's a reshuffle so it's always in the deck.

    So yes, in a way, if you can box them in a corner or something.

    Fair but that only works for as long as you can keep them contained. We've set up some impressive Cragheart-assisted killboxes (especially on my Mindthief's retirement mission) but I don't think we ever managed it with Oozes.

    The fact that they attack at range doesn't help either.

    Vyolynce on
    Auralynx
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    We did Scenario 14 last night.
    This was my first outing as the Beast Tyrant. Super fun character, though I definitely think the bear command path is stronger. I can see the disarm being useful early though until you get left behind.

    The scenario was fine, the only challenge was huge numbers of enemies with Retribution and bear intelligence meaning there was a constant need for heals. Bear can kick out some serious damage, even being a lower level and with less gear he was super powerful.

    And now we have enchantments :biggrin:

    Vyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    Cerberus wrote: »
    We did Scenario 14 last night.
    This was my first outing as the Beast Tyrant. Super fun character, though I definitely think the bear command path is stronger. I can see the disarm being useful early though until you get left behind.

    The scenario was fine, the only challenge was huge numbers of enemies with Retribution and bear intelligence meaning there was a constant need for heals. Bear can kick out some serious damage, even being a lower level and with less gear he was super powerful.

    And now we have enchantments :biggrin:

    Re: two-minis
    Check your perks. There should be a ton of rolling heals to keep the bear happy. Our Tyrant eventually hit lv9 (started at 3 IIRC) and I don't think the Bear ever died outside of one of our few TPKs.

    Vyolynce on
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    He was level 2

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    He was level 2

    Fair. Just something to keep in mind.

    Auralynx
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I went around to an old school friend's house with 2 others and we spent an enjoysble weekend playing this.

    However I can't help but feel slightly superfluous to the group. The make up is Tinkerer, Scoundrel, Cragheart and myself as a Mindthief.

    The Scoundrel seems to kill a lot of things quicker and better, the Cragheart clears big groups and takes hits, Tinkerer heals and I line up big hits in things only to see the scoundrel zip in before me and kill the target.

    Just wondering if I should switch to one of the other starter classes (like the tank) as my Mindthief isn't retiring any time soon.

    PSN Fleety2009
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Re: Two-mini
    Ours had a rough time at low levels for the same reasons, but the rolling heal mods really do solve the worst of it. It also helps, when possible, to work action timings on your end so as to massage the bear's targeting.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I went around to an old school friend's house with 2 others and we spent an enjoysble weekend playing this.

    However I can't help but feel slightly superfluous to the group. The make up is Tinkerer, Scoundrel, Cragheart and myself as a Mindthief.

    The Scoundrel seems to kill a lot of things quicker and better, the Cragheart clears big groups and takes hits, Tinkerer heals and I line up big hits in things only to see the scoundrel zip in before me and kill the target.

    Just wondering if I should switch to one of the other starter classes (like the tank) as my Mindthief isn't retiring any time soon.

    Mindthief is tough early but learns some neat tricks. As long as you're generating xp, getting credit for actual kills is only important if your PQ or BG demand it. You should be able to disable/muddle/stun things to keep the heat off and chip in where you can.

    Oh and dump the rat summon if it's still in your deck.

    AuralynxElvenshae
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed playing the Mind Thief. The Minds Weakness augment is a key card that you should get down early, I rarely used another augment. Then I tried to be the person stunning, immobilising and generally stopping them from attacking character. You do great damage with the augment, but it is something I focus on when mopping up. I found the cloak of invisibility a great item for the character as it allows you to do some damage and no die, as well as blocking off paths to your other party members.

    JPantsVyolynce
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I recently retired my mind-thief at level 9 so I've been playing the mind-thief for quite a while. He's an awesome little rat with a bunch of cool stuff he can do.

    My usual starting pattern was to start with the ranged stun on the most dangerous enemy, then stun them with the frost you generated last turn for 2 turns of stuns. You can then pop a stamina potion and do the cycle all over again. You can guarantee that you'll be going first in initiative most of the time so you can finish off the most weakened enemies before they have a chance to act.

    One thing to note is that you gradually morph more into a ranged character as you get into the higher levels. You don't need to swap your augments as nothing is as good as The Mind's Weakness but you start hovering more at range than you did at the beginning.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Vyolynce
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    My Mindthief is maybe one or two scenarios from retiring. We mostly play with two, at the moment the other guy is a Sun. My choices of non-base classes that I haven't played yet will Cthulu Face and Notes (which will be unlocked). What do you suggest I pick?

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Aether wrote: »
    My Mindthief is maybe one or two scenarios from retiring. We mostly play with two, at the moment the other guy is a Sun. My choices of non-base classes that I haven't played yet will Cthulu Face and Notes (which will be unlocked). What do you suggest I pick?

    Notes should be an easy transition from Mindthief. They occupy the same general strategic role.

    Cthulu-face is... different. TBH I don't really have a good grasp on that character since ours retired so quickly, but I took a look at it (before deciding to create the Notes I just unlocked) and I couldn't find a decent build in my mind for it.

    Aether
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited March 12
    Aether wrote: »
    My Mindthief is maybe one or two scenarios from retiring. We mostly play with two, at the moment the other guy is a Sun. My choices of non-base classes that I haven't played yet will Cthulu Face and Notes (which will be unlocked). What do you suggest I pick?

    My vote is for Cthulhu-face. Ours is only barely-played but the synergy with what Sun puts on the table should be noticeable. Notes, IME, plays better in large teams; we also found it a little redundant with some of Sun's options.

    Auralynx on
    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    Aether
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Invisibility cloak is super duper good on melee type characters, my life as a scoundrel got so much easier after I picked that up.

  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendations. I initially disregarded the Cthulhu-Face because he looked a bit complicated, but he might be worth a second look. I still have no idea how Notes works yet, but hopefully I'll open him up tomorrow night when I get my
    15th Battle Goal tick.

  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    After looking at Notes they look like a fun character to play, so I'm going to go that way.
    Because of prosperity it's coming in at level 5. Going to go with either the move before attack song, or the monsters hit with disadvantage song. Then curses, curses, curses. Take that monster deck. I've got exactly one card with the word attack on it, so, if I'm in a place to hit I'll be losing a top action to do so, but given that the other guy seems to be a heavy hitter it should be fine.

    VyolynceAuralynx
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Important notes on Notes:
    Remember that your songs only affect your allies for the most part; you don't get any benefit (other than the free xp every round). The disadvantage one is the only exception, as it technically affects the enemies.

    My bread and butter has been the Retaliate 2 at Range 2 song, with the disadvantage song a distant second. That said, I recently hit L8 and now have the Heal 2 song and that one is insane.

    Also, finding an excuse to unleash that monster of a modifier deck is great. If you have access to the Versatile Dagger it's a no-brainer just in case you need to shank something.

    Vyolynce on
    Aether
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be trying Notes out tomorrow.

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    Half of our team couldn't make it last night, but Circles wanted to retire so what was the harm in the two of us giving it a shot? The worst we could do is fail, right?

    Pre-spoiler spoiler: we did not fail.

    "Free the Forest" PQ ending:
    Turns out, when our Orchid buddies are allowed to use any modifier deck, that having a heavily-perked Notes on the team is kind of disgusting, not to mention my ability to let them heal every turn. After a rough start (I was at 4hp and poisoned almost immediately) we got our feet under us and coasted through the remaining rooms.

    So now we have a shiny new Mask on the team and my Notes is Level 9, having generated over 20xp during the scenario plus the 12xp for clearing a level-4 scenario. Oh and we maxed out our reputation so we got to shuffle some extra events in as well.

    In sadder news, Gloomhaven Helper has added ads. Costs $4 to clear 'em such isn't a bad deal but still disappointing.

    Vyolynce on
    ElvenshaeAuralynx
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I've not used GHH is it worth it?
    Between the three of us we distribute set up, takedown and maintenance of the board pretty evenly, so never felt it too tough.
    We just did the abandoned sewers, and had our first ooze experience. It was as annoying as expected. We were saved by the Cragheart dealing area effect damage causing a large group of oozes multiplying itself to death. How you deal with them without AOE I have no idea.

    We all levelled up during our last scenario, with my two mini generating a crazy 27 xp plus scenario amount.

    The Cragheart is probably two scenarios off completing their PQ which we are focusing on (killing cultists and bandits) and they unlock Eclipse.

    The Scoundrel is still 6 scenarios off completing their 15 and unlock Concentric Circles.

    I've got to kill 3 oozes, spitting drakes and lurkers for mine. I've done the oozes and have quests open with both other (due to a random side quest giving me Lurkers) but I'm in no rush to give up two mini yet.

    We are all massively enjoying the game.

    Vyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    GHH is great mostly for taking care of the drudge work: shuffling, re-shuffling, hp/xp tracking (note we have 1stEd), conditions, turn order... We still put out the enemy info cards so everyone (else) has an easy reference and the others keep track of their own up because that's useful info to have on- hand but it still saves bunch of time.

    Aether
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Yeah GHH is awesome. I wouldn't play without it. I only wish there was an IOS version. I understand why there isn't though.

    Play report on first game with Notes
    Yeah, that retaliate song is just the best. It's worked really well against some enemies with shield. Particularly because the deck was filled with curses. @Vyolynce your advice was spot on. I even managed to take a few baddies out with the Versatile Dagger.

    Vyolynce
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Updates
    Cannot for the life of me remember the scenario number, but our first scenario was bodyguarding Hail to get the Stone breaker Censer.

    We played it fairly normally, and managed to complete it with the Scoundrel exhausted and me about to. That said we had in our back pocket the two mini switch two characters, which basically kills the scenario.

    We the did the start of a scenario to allow the Cragheart the chance to kill the single bandit needed to retire. He unlocked Sun. Looks an interesting character, lots of close combat and party support. I'm sure it'll be strong with two mini.

    Scoundrel still has 5 more out of 15 to retire... Poor fella.

  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Another week of a half-strength party, so last night Mask and my Notes slipped into casual mode to rack up some PQ kills.

    I need to exterminate Forest Imps, which are surprisingly (and annoyingly) rare, so first we reran the Ancient Library random scenario since we knew there were a bunch of them in the first room. Fun fact: this was the first scenario in which Notes participated when we did it the first time. Back then I was only able to score two kills but my modifier deck has been significantly perked up since (and also the were only two of us this time so fewer elites) and I managed to add four more kills to my tally. Still need a couple more but closer is better.

    Ancient Library details:
    After we cleared out the first room we just threw ourselves into traps to end the scenario. The only other monster was the boss and getting to it (and fighting it agin) wasn't worth the hassle.

    Mask has a vendetta against Vermlings, which are far less rare, and we knew just where to find a bunch of them: the Vermling Nest! Athough we have a 1stE box we're using updated PQs whenever they've been different (read: made easier) so even with only two of us it was mathmatecally possible that he could go on a frenzy and retire before the rest of our party even saw him in action! And in fact he came damned close, but I managed a couple kills that kept him just shy of his goal.

    All in all a productive week.

    Vyolynce on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 3
    Aether wrote: »
    Yeah GHH is awesome. I wouldn't play without it. I only wish there was an IOS version. I understand why there isn't though.

    Funny thing: fired it up today and a little message popped up saying "now available on iOS!"


    EDIT: And now my party can breathe underwater. Not sure how often we're gonna use this skill, but hey.

    Vyolynce on
    AetherElvenshae
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Aether wrote: »
    Yeah GHH is awesome. I wouldn't play without it. I only wish there was an IOS version. I understand why there isn't though.

    Funny thing: fired it up today and a little message popped up saying "now available on iOS!"


    EDIT: And now my party can breathe underwater. Not sure how often we're gonna use this skill, but hey.

    Aaaaaand purchased.

  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    edited April 3
    Last night we got through 2 scenarios in one evening.
    One was the sunken ship side quest, which we just breezed through.
    Our new Sun seems really cool, a nice blend of buffs, healing/recovery and close combat.
    Only a couple more scenarios until our Scoundrel retires, I'm probably going to retire 2 mini at the same time, as I'm already 2/3 of my way through the Perfect Poison. I've decided that the class style just is not for me, it is definitely powerful, but it is a blunt instrument, with the bear doing high levels of damage but little else. I'm much more of a combo, versatile, tactics style players.
    I'm going to unlock Chuthulu face so not sure if I'll enjoy that or not, but I also think we'll have tanked our reputation by then to unlock Eclipse.
    Any thoughts on which I'll enjoy more without spoilers?

    Cerberus on
    Auralynx
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 3
    They are both pretty good, but Eclipse rewards planning a couple of turns ahead what you're doing on your own behalf, whereas Tentacle-Face depends in no small way on the rest of the party to set them up, kind of like Mindthief.

    Auralynx on
    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    taoofshinseiVyolynce
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    They are both pretty good, but Eclipse rewards planning a couple of turns ahead what you're doing on your own behalf, whereas Tentacle-Face depends in no small way on the rest of the party to set them up, kind of like Mindthief.

    Interesting. I enjoyed the Mind Thief so sounds like both could be good.

  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Scenario 95 - Payment Due
    What an interesting scenario. Went through it with Notes and Sun. Having Flame Demons spawn every odd numbered round was the biggest challenge. Notes dies before the big confrontation, but Sun managed to effectively stunlock the Savaas Lavaflow. Which is good, as it would have summoned an Earth Demon, and a Flame demon. Took his head for a souvenir.

    Vyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Aether wrote: »
    Scenario 95 - Payment Due
    What an interesting scenario. Went through it with Notes and Sun. Having Flame Demons spawn every odd numbered round was the biggest challenge. Notes dies before the big confrontation, but Sun managed to effectively stunlock the Savaas Lavaflow. Which is good, as it would have summoned an Earth Demon, and a Flame demon. Took his head for a souvenir.
    Did those two characters defeat the Prime Demon? None of the ours who did were actually involved in this scenario...

  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Aether wrote: »
    Scenario 95 - Payment Due
    What an interesting scenario. Went through it with Notes and Sun. Having Flame Demons spawn every odd numbered round was the biggest challenge. Notes dies before the big confrontation, but Sun managed to effectively stunlock the Savaas Lavaflow. Which is good, as it would have summoned an Earth Demon, and a Flame demon. Took his head for a souvenir.
    Did those two characters defeat the Prime Demon? None of the ours who did were actually involved in this scenario...
    No, our characters were very confused about why this demon lieutenant was after them

    Vyolynce
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    We've been progressing with the...
    Drake story line, and last night we did the mountain top one with Hounds, and both types of Drakes.

    It was super close, as Sun got cornered early after crit missing an easy kill and ended the turn on 1hp with wound. We managed to pull it out the bag, but was messy.

    We then had two retirements, our scoundrel retired and became the Summoner. I retired and became squid face. We then played a scenario to get used to them. Have to say I'm really digging the status effect and curse abuse so far. Is there a limit to how many curses can be put in or is it just number of cards?

  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    You can have as many curses in the monster deck as you have curses in the supply but there is a distinction between player curses and monster curses so you can't add more once you run out of the monster ones.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    FryElvenshae
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Relatedly, there are only ten player curses, so in my 4p group, the Scoundrel's "ignore scenario drawbacks" perk is a bit less exciting. For "each player gets three curses" scenarios, the party starts with a total of 9 curses instead of a total of 10 curses. Woo?

Sign In or Register to comment.