Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1141516171820»

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Relatedly, there are only ten player curses, so in my 4p group, the Scoundrel's "ignore scenario drawbacks" perk is a bit less exciting. For "each player gets three curses" scenarios, the party starts with a total of 9 curses instead of a total of 10 curses. Woo?

That is the best perk any time a character has it and I will not hear otherwise. Just because it's less than stellar in this specific instance doesn't impact its overall usefulness.

ElvenshaeMadpoetA Dabble Of TheloniusRiokenn
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Didn't someone go through all the scenarios and note that
    Only something like one quarter of all scenarios even have any negative scenario effects?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Didn't someone go through all the scenarios and note that
    Only something like one quarter of all scenarios even have any negative scenario effects?
    They're front-loaded to a considerable degree, too, in my experience.

Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png

• BogartBogart I Will Cure You Registered User, Moderator mod
    I started playing Gloomhaven solo. Brute and Spellweaver, and boy howdy did I lose three times before doing scenario one. Bad luck plus enemies never pulling cards that gave me a break plus learning = fourth time lucky.

Still, got some valuable XP.

ziyevfo7oy8o.jpeg

Did both battle goals and looted the chest on the successful try so that’s good. Onwards.

VyolynceElvenshaeRiokenn
    Are you playing on hard mode (scenario level +1)?

God, no. Failing three times on normal indicates I made the correct choice.

Technically, the monsters in later rooms shouldn't be on the map until you open the doors. Doesn't matter for that scenario (and having played it three times, you know that) but later in your campaign it might matter.

As for scenario 2, insert SmashTV.mp4 here

Elvenshae
    The successful try had better luck but also better tactics, as I used the big move card on the Spellweaver to open the door to the final room, skip in, land on the chest and then popped the invisibility cloak to sit there undetected while I blew my last spells on the archers. The living bones had to target the Brute, who was in the other room behind traps which ate some of their HP quite nicely. It made me think opening a door and then backing away (if I can't turn invisible) so bad guys have to come out, especially if they've got archers at the back, is often going to be wiser than charging in.

I guess I didn't say that I enjoyed the game a lot. As many have said it's about hand management, and it took a few tries to figure out how to conserve a hand while still putting out damage. It helped on the last go that the first room of enemies got a turn in which they went first but effectively stood still and didn't attack.

Elvenshae
    Oh yeah never charge into a room without invisibility, shielding, or some other plan to avoid becoming a pincushion.

Although remember that non-flying monsters will only step on traps if they have literally no other choice.

taoofshinseiAuralynxFryElvenshaeRiokenn
    The key to victory IMO is minimizing the number of attacks the enemies get to make. If your plan involves letting a room full of monsters beat on you, it's not a very good plan. (This is why archers are some of my least favorite enemies)

AuralynxVyolynceElvenshae
    The key to victory IMO is minimizing the number of attacks the enemies get to make. If your plan involves letting a room full of monsters beat on you, it's not a very good plan. (This is why archers are some of my least favorite enemies)

Unless you have like... retaliate 3. And maybe a way to have all enemies be disadvantaged against you.

Which has happened.

AuralynxFry
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Unless you have like... retaliate 3. And maybe a way to have all enemies be disadvantaged against you.

Which has happened.

The Brute can pull this off if they're running some Shielding, but it's ... touch-and-go.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Vyolynce
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Which has happened.

The Brute can pull this off if they're running some Shielding, but it's ... touch-and-go.

Not to spoil, but I am sure that was an allusion to a boxed character.

OSvv7zs.png

Auralynx wrote: »

Which has happened.

No they meant that Brute can pull off charging into a room without an exit strategy. Sometimes.

Elvenshae
    e9nh6u8vcifp.jpeg

That went badly. The boss just kept opening doors and the curse cards came out every time I tried to hit him. Ugh.

I could go level up before trying again but I’ll go again immediately tomorrow.

Elvenshae
    edited April 23
    Bogart wrote: »
    That went badly. The boss just kept opening doors and the curse cards came out every time I tried to hit him. Ugh.

I could go level up before trying again but I’ll go again immediately tomorrow.

Yeah, that scenario is usually pretty rough, depending on what the boss does, hence my earlier comment (spoilered for YouTube, rather than for being a game spoiler):

Fry on
    Elvenshae
    We cleared that one mostly through luck. He only opened one door IIRC and wasted a lot of turns summoning when there were no empty adjacent spaces.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Which has happened.

No they meant that Brute can pull off charging into a room without an exit strategy. Sometimes.

Yeah, the Brute can get some serious shields up, but it takes some prep. And even then, a badly-timed enemy crit can still ruin your day.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Vyolynce

Which has happened.

I meant the Retaliate 3 scenario! And I'm pretty sure you have the one I'm thinking of unboxed, Vyo!

OSvv7zs.png

edited 12:43AM

Which has happened.

I meant the Retaliate 3 scenario! And I'm pretty sure you have the one I'm thinking of unboxed, Vyo!

I do but I can't do both with the same character! My friend did manage to have two different retaliate effects live on the same turn though but neither of them had anything to do with what I was doing...

EDIT: We actually retired that character tonight, unlocking our final character (Bolt). That one's gonna be interesting...

My character, however, is sitting at over 630xp waiting for some goddamned Forest Imps to show up.

Vyolynce at