Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1171819202123»

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 17
    Productive night tonight. Knocked out a scenario that unlocked a boss scenario for next time...

...or maybe not? Because in doing so, our Spears also achieved his retirement goal. Since we've opened everything now, that got us another random side quest. Oh, and nudged us close enough that we were able to donate our way to Prosperity level 7* (leveling up my freshly-rolled Chtulhu and what would eventually be a Sun from the former Spears player). That also unlocked a mission. And then our city event also unlocked a scenario! We would have had yet another mission unlocked thanks to the chest from tonight's run, except we already had that one from a previous reward (and I'm a little pissed about it since I'm the one who looted the chest).
    If you have the option to unlock 17, do anything else.

We're building up quite the backlog now.

*Worth noting that we're using 1E and haven't adjusted our Prosperity track.

Vyolynce on
    Auralynx
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    We've just unlocked a new character...
    It's Saw, haven't played with him yet, just taken a look through the cards. Not sure how good healing is in the game, but some very interesting abilities. Is he any good in people's experiance?

Soon we'll be unlocking envelope X and I'll be retiring SquidFace for Angry Face. Hoping Angry face does damage, as I've enjoyed status effecting people lots, and we've become used to ignoring attacks but looking forward to dealing damage again soon.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    It's Saw, haven't played with him yet, just taken a look through the cards. Not sure how good healing is in the game, but some very interesting abilities. Is he any good in people's experiance?

Soon we'll be unlocking envelope X and I'll be retiring SquidFace for Angry Face. Hoping Angry face does damage, as I've enjoyed status effecting people lots, and we've become used to ignoring attacks but looking forward to dealing damage again soon.
    We only unlocked him near the childbirth-induced lapse in my own group's playthrough, but I think his usefulness is directly correlated with how thin your other characters' decks are and how big a hurry you're in. Looked very playable.

Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

It's hard for me to gauge that character. The player in charge of him has been available intermittently in recent months and its primary role was almost seamlessly obsoleted by my Notes for a while...
    Heal 2 song is dumb.

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It's hard for me to gauge that character. The player in charge of him has been available intermittently in recent months and its primary role was almost seamlessly obsoleted by my Notes for a while...
    Heal 2 song is dumb.

Music Notes / Sun spoilers:
    The Retaliate 2 Range 2 song is stupid with Sun's innate + equipment shields. Honestly I think it does more damage than the other 3 members of the party combined.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    AuralynxVyolynce
  • VerbenaVerbena Registered User regular
    Possibly slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the steam version yet?

Steam - Verbena | 3DS Friend Code - 0576-4430-7964 | Xbox - Verbena Zero
    Just seen the expansion is out here.... Need willpower

• FishmanFishman Long time gone, Constantinople Registered User regular
    Hello Gloomhaven thread, my campaign is getting settled in and semi-regular so I thought I'd drop by.

We're about 5 scenarios in running a Cragheart/Tinker/Spellweaver party and although we've made a few early mistakes none of the first 4 scenarios really threatened or challenged us so we decided to bump the difficulty up for our game last night, and took a fun beating in scenario #4.

Although we lost, the game felt much better, with the extra difficulty adding more tension and requiring greater co-operation and co-ordination. Of course, the reason we lost was we didn't realise that to begin with and charged through the first half of the scenario like our previous cakewalks, mostly competing with each other to get down our kill cards and earn XP. By the time we realised we perhaps should have been more efficient in our card co-ordination, it was predictably too late. But fun was had by all and we're looking forward to continuing on to repeating the scenario again at the higher level.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    ElvenshaeJustTee
    So, we just tried...
    the oozing Grove encounter, well, that was horrific.

We also saw two new classes come in...
    Sun retired to become Eclipse, and I retired Cthulu face to unlock Angry face. He seems interesting, able to throw out some high levels of damage. Any tips on cool combos?

Played another two scenarios with Angry Face last night and am really enjoying him so far. Our party is Eclipse, Saw and Angry Face. Generally going well, though Saw took a beating in one scenario as the rest of the party are invisible or far away.

I do think I made a mistake with my choice of quest, have have 200 gold one, but my other was have a huge number of items, both unlocked 3 spears. While the equipment one seems harder, at least I get to use the equipment, rather than hoarding gold. Three scenarios in and I have 120, as I didn't spend all my starting gold, the Teleport doom is good for making money.

• FishmanFishman Long time gone, Constantinople Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Although we lost, the game felt much better, with the extra difficulty adding more tension and requiring greater co-operation and co-ordination. Of course, the reason we lost was we didn't realise that to begin with and charged through the first half of the scenario like our previous cakewalks, mostly competing with each other to get down our kill cards and earn XP. By the time we realised we perhaps should have been more efficient in our card co-ordination, it was predictably too late. But fun was had by all and we're looking forward to continuing on to repeating the scenario again at the higher level.

Whoops.
    Tried again last night and I made an early - and fatal - mistake with my Spellweaver, thinking I'd be safe opening a door and withdrawing, but accidentally got turned into a pincushion as the archers moved further and my teammates slower than I accounted for. Stupid mistake; my fault, and so early as to throw off the balance of the scenario for the others.

Unfortunately my group, while still coming within a handful of attacks of winning, have taken this 'two losses in a row' as evidence that +1 difficulty is 'too hard' rather than evidence that I am occasionally an incompetent fool who bites off more than they can chew, and don't particularly want to play at that level again.

*sigh*

I, on the other hand, greatly enjoyed the additional challenge and would dearly love another attempt, although clearly I get the thing where they have now played through that scenario/level twice and a third time falls into the mental category of 'grind' for them as opposed to 'delightful problem to solve' for me.

The compromise position we'll probably come to is keeping the higher difficulty but
    changing scenarios; maybe hit one of the side scenarios for a change of pace.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    bwayzej4vtb8.jpeg

Scenario 7. Thought I’d have some trouble as I only had one loot card that wouldn’t be lost after use but going anti clockwise and just darting in to get the last two chests meant I had plenty of time left. Thought I’d be retiring squidface but it’s been ages since I’ve played and I forgot to put down gold after killing bad guys so I gained precisely zero gold for his quest.