[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1252627282931»

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Rolling modifiers are kinda goofy, I think I would be fine with them going away. There are some classes that already have things like +4 immobilize in their modifier deck, just do more of that.

I may miss getting the occasional absurd rolling add target twice, but I'll live

I wouldn't mind more upgrade perks. Maybe a perk that said "replace a +2 immobilize with a +4 immobilize" or something that basically required you to have taken the other perk first.

What is this I don't even.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Rolling modifiers are kinda goofy, I think I would be fine with them going away. There are some classes that already have things like +4 immobilize in their modifier deck, just do more of that.

I may miss getting the occasional absurd rolling add target twice, but I'll live

I wouldn't mind more upgrade perks. Maybe a perk that said "replace a +2 immobilize with a +4 immobilize" or something that basically required you to have taken the other perk first.

A few classes have these. I want to say Eclipse off the top of my head but I'm not certain.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Our Cragheart retired. New character is...Eclipse, I guess is the "safe" name for it?

That character does some crazy stuff.

Edit: lol, the new personal quest is "enhance 4 cards", he can almost do that with the starting gold

Fry on
    AuralynxVyolyncetaoofshinsei
    Finally got around to doing the solo scenario for my Angry Face. Won it with about three turns to spare, despite some horrible luck (drew my Miss on three consecutive attacks; also something scenario specific that will be in the spoiler)
    Laid down several traps for the giant vipers to move through, fuckers drew a Jump 4 as their move and leapt over them :(

Left the 42 HP Earth Demon for last. Dropped a whole bunch of traps in the start room while I was dealing with the hound, knowing I would want to come back and try to kite the Earth Demon through them. Didn't actually work out that way; I ended up spending most of my time Invisible for that duel, and also stuck an Immobilize on him with an attack to delay him further.

That was a real brain-burner. If you have unlocked Angry Face and want a nice long puzzler, I would recommend it as a one-off.

I ordered the solo scenarios with the Frosthaven kickstarter, so I'll have them eventually. Not sure what we're going to do for all the classes since everyone else in the group plays remotely.

The Gloomhaven Helper app does all of the monster stuff for you; I used random.org to select battle goals from a spoiler.

And then I took a screenshot of the solo scenario PDF (it's available for free on BGG) and drew circles and squares on it in Paint to represent me and the bad guys doing our dance of death

edited July 4
    Finally strongarmed our spellweaver into retirement after sitting at level 9 for awhile. Through a combination of item effects and spells, she was doing 5 damage + stun to every monster in a room, sometimes more than once. It had somewhat trivialized encounters.

Angry face spoiler
    And my doomstalker had been using jumping doom plus free attacks when a doomed creature dies in combination with it to just completely eradicate entire rooms.

Darkewolfe on
    Fry
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Finally strongarmed our spellweaver into retirement after sitting at level 9 for awhile. Through a combination of item effects and spells, she was doing 5 damage + stun to every monster in a room, sometimes more than once. It had somewhat trivialized encounters.

Angry face spoiler
    And my doomstalker had been using jumping doom plus free attacks when a doomed creature dies in combination with it to just completely eradicate entire rooms.

That combo is pretty silly both balance and flavour-wise, but funny the first few times. Even without the item though, Level 9 spellweaver is so bananas that I retired mine after a few scenarios, even though I had really been looking forward to the apocalyptic power of Inferno. Also just because it was my first character and I was eager to try something new out.

Auralynx
    Yeah, we let him run it for a few scenarios and be godly, then we found a good mission to close things out on that fit his retirement goal perfectly and made it a narrative epic. Still, it was fucking silly. We also have three spears in our party which added to the complete brokenness of everything the rest of the time.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Yeah, we let him run it for a few scenarios and be godly, then we found a good mission to close things out on that fit his retirement goal perfectly and made it a narrative epic. Still, it was fucking silly. We also have three spears in our party which added to the complete brokenness of everything the rest of the time.

My new character is three spears so I can apparently really pick them...

It seems though that playing relatively guide-less I have managed to build and play my three spears in a mostly pretty 'fair' way so far.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

My new character is three spears so I can apparently really pick them...

It seems though that playing relatively guide-less I have managed to build and play my three spears in a mostly pretty 'fair' way so far.

Three-spears is baseline "pretty good," escalating to "what?" somewhere around level 6 with good item support.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Vyolynce
    My group is at Prosperity 7 and max reputation, so most new characters skip the being fair stage and go straight to silly.