[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

1262728293032»

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Help, I just spent 375 gold upgrading my level 2 card for my Angry Face

(spoilers for Angry Face level 2, obv)
    P7hzB8Jl.png

ElvenshaeAuralynx
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

(spoilers for Angry Face level 2, obv)
    P7hzB8Jl.png

I am 2 missions from finishing the retirement on my now Level 9, Gloom-defeating Lightning Bolts.

I think by the time I get there the cash-in value of all my stuff couldn't afford that card.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

I am 2 missions from finishing the retirement on my now Level 9, Gloom-defeating Lightning Bolts.

I think by the time I get there the cash-in value of all my stuff couldn't afford that card.

The alternative I was considering for that gold was purchasing a second upgrade on my level 9 card :0

We just finished the last unlocked scenario from the base game, so RAW our only options now are replaying scenarios we've already won, random dungeons, or moving on to the expansion. I only managed to retire one character over the course of the campaign, Angry Face is my second. And I am kinda sick of this character's gameplay. Think I will ask the group to fudge my retirement condition, so I can move on.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

The alternative I was considering for that gold was purchasing a second upgrade on my level 9 card :0

We just finished the last unlocked scenario from the base game, so RAW our only options now are replaying scenarios we've already won, random dungeons, or moving on to the expansion. I only managed to retire one character over the course of the campaign, Angry Face is my second. And I am kinda sick of this character's gameplay. Think I will ask the group to fudge my retirement condition, so I can move on.

Good lord. Which did you draw?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

My personal quests were:
    First character was three Forest scenarios. That took a big chunk of the campaign, due to the path we took.

Second character was two Swamp scenarios. There aren't very many of those in the box, we had already completed a couple, and some others were locked closed due to campaign decisions. Theoretically I could eventually finish this one, if we unlock the correct side scenarios from city/road events or if we drew the correct random side scenario as a reward for something, it just didn't happen.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My personal quests were:
    First character was three Forest scenarios. That took a big chunk of the campaign, due to the path we took.

Second character was two Swamp scenarios. There aren't very many of those in the box, we had already completed a couple, and some others were locked closed due to campaign decisions. Theoretically I could eventually finish this one, if we unlock the correct side scenarios from city/road events or if we drew the correct random side scenario as a reward for something, it just didn't happen.

I was the first to retire in my group with that second one only because I got super lucky and we unlocked the correct random scenario in like the 2nd session.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    (Former) Gaming Unplugged columnist and video game reviewer at Snackbar Games
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697
    FryAuralynx
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    IIRC we ended up counting
    cleared scenarios
    for those because drawing those late was nonsense otherwise.

Fry
    edited September 24
    Conceptually, I like the idea of those quests, but in practice, if you get that quest early you're kind of hosed, and if you get it late you're hosed. And if you get it in the middle, you could also be hosed.

Hopefully the PQs are better in Frosthaven. I'd be ok if all of them were super generic things like "win any six scenarios", "kill any 30 enemies", "earn 12 check marks", etc followed by a 1-2 scenario chain to finish.

Fry on
    VyolynceantheremAuralynx
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    You can replay old scenarios, the requirement is just that they're new to the character doing the particular personal quest. Conversely, whatever happened before that character joined the party doesn't count for completion.

I guess having to replay a thing could be annoying, although I don't mind much myself. We've done a fair number of replays because me and the other most active player in our kind of drop-in, drop-out group didn't want to skip too far ahead in the storyline on the days the other guys didn't turn up.

Would hardly describe it as being hosed, though.

Vyolynce
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    We finished the main thing you'd consider the main thing that let's you start forgotten circles if you want. Was definitely a pushover, heh, or at least it was a dps check and we had that down.

What is this I don't even.
    Fry
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    We finished the main thing you'd consider the main thing that let's you start forgotten circles if you want. Was definitely a pushover, heh, or at least it was a dps check and we had that down.

I was annoyed that we got a couple things explaining that scenario, after we had already done that scenario.

Darkewolfe[Expletive deleted]
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    So I've been playing games via tabletop simulator with friends every Friday night; came across a scenario, unlocked from a personal quest I really wasn't happy with.

Spoilers to which class and quest
    to open Squidface; quest 52

Spoilers about quest itself
    so the quest has you start in 4 spots and you are completely separated from one another and can't interact with each other. You have to get to a treasure chest at the end of a corridor to loot it. You finish the scenario once all chests are looted.

I hated this; if we knew this in advance, we could have all done it in preparation of the next part of the quest line. A complete waste of an evening of playing together

It also wasn't that hard

PSN Fleety2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    So I've been playing games via tabletop simulator with friends every Friday night; came across a scenario, unlocked from a personal quest I really wasn't happy with.

so the quest has you start in 4 spots and you are completely separated from one another and can't interact with each other. You have to get to a treasure chest at the end of a corridor to loot it. You finish the scenario once all chests are looted.

I hated this; if we knew this in advance, we could have all done it in preparation of the next part of the quest line. A complete waste of an evening of playing together

It also wasn't that hard

For this scenario, one of our members had literally just unlocked and created a musical notes. He was so angry.

Vyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

It also wasn't that hard

For this scenario, one of our members had literally just unlocked and created a musical notes. He was so angry.

That entire quest chain is some questionable crap but that scenario might be the most egregious of them.

The other way to unlock Squidface is a pain to achieve (esp in 1E) but at least you actually unlock it without having to run the gauntlet.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    (Former) Gaming Unplugged columnist and video game reviewer at Snackbar Games
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697
    Auralynx
    edited October 4
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It also wasn't that hard

That entire quest chain is some questionable crap but that scenario might be the most egregious of them.

The other way to unlock Squidface is a pain to achieve (esp in 1E) but at least you actually unlock it without having to run the gauntlet.

It's a very weird chain, being simultaneously one of the most creative bits of work by a guest author and totally insane by comparison with the rest of Gloomhaven. We actually finished the end of it (#54) this week, finally retiring my Lightning Bolts and our 3-Spears guy out of it, and let me tell you, those who can click this spoiler,
    Having to basically solo 3 Harrowers at mission level 5 with a melee character is no damn joke. It is also real boring for everyone else.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Vyolynce
    Total Town Records completion spoiler.
    We finished the town records. I really wish they'd had us get to the next to last step of the town records before being able to face the Gloom. Wouldn't have required anything other than having that scenario only be unlocked after getting next to last in the TR. Was good story though. Now to finish cleaning up side quests, unlock the last two classes we haven't, and roll into Forgotten Circles!

Forgotten Circles question: Do the Forgotten Circles quests take place in the main map at all? We have a number of retirement goals that require doing things in certain places on the main map, for example, and I'm curious whether the FC content might still work for that sometimes.

FryVyolynce
    Did scenario 61 tonight. Actually a pretty cool design! Not a great one to be doing over Zoom, though.

Two of my party members retired, so they've now double-lapped me on that :/

Elvenshae
    edited October 14
    Total Town Records completion spoiler.
    We finished the town records. I really wish they'd had us get to the next to last step of the town records before being able to face the Gloom. Wouldn't have required anything other than having that scenario only be unlocked after getting next to last in the TR. Was good story though. Now to finish cleaning up side quests, unlock the last two classes we haven't, and roll into Forgotten Circles!

Forgotten Circles question: Do the Forgotten Circles quests take place in the main map at all? We have a number of retirement goals that require doing things in certain places on the main map, for example, and I'm curious whether the FC content might still work for that sometimes.

I looked this up online - answer is, some do, some don't. I didn't exhaustively check, but it looks like there's about one FC scenario per region, if that's what you're wondering.

Fry on
    Darkewolfe
    So we're on Jaws of the Lion the last couple weeks and I have to say it looks like most of the lessons worth learning from the original box were in fact learned.

Red Guard is pretty rad.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Fry
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So a recent Frosthaven backer update said that there’d be some sizable (?) Gloomhaven news On the 20th. Not sure if anyone else saw that.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So a recent Frosthaven backer update said that there’d be some sizable (?) Gloomhaven news On the 20th. Not sure if anyone else saw that.

I went looking all over and haven't seen anything. Was there an announcement anywhere?

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven novel series