As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    My online game...
    Ooo, how are you playing online?

The digital game. It's on Steam and Epic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    My online game...
    Ooo, how are you playing online?

The digital game. It's on Steam and Epic.

And it's AWESOME.

I love the board game. But it's a) fiddly, and b) occasionally confusing re rules, c) easy to spoil, and d) takes up limited time of in-person meet ups that can be used for other games.

Currently playing two different games (so... e)? Because that's more difficult with the physical version) whenever two different friends and myself have a free evening but can't travel (one has kids, the other lives a fair distance, so a weeknight is difficult), and it's very easy to jump in and out of. Also am playing Guildmaster solo (it's more a sandboxy version of the base game, not so much linked campaign).

It's kinda pricey if you already own the physical (as everyone wanting in has to pay), but if you can get it on special, it's definitely worth the buy.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Can you play the digital version solo?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Can you play the digital version solo?

Yes.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Is it good to play solo? For awhile I remember reviews saying it wasn’t worth it yet. And I think we were last at “it’s okay, but still not quite up to par”

Orca on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Is it good to play solo? For awhile I remember reviews saying it wasn’t worth it yet. And I think we were last at “it’s okay, but still not quite up to par”

Would you enjoy playing the board game solo? It's pretty faithful now, just with all the setup automated because it's a digital video game.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Computer version is cheaper, and no set up time. No "undo" button, though, so occasionally you'll have some feel bad when you misclick and end your turn instead of attacking. You'll never forget to apply a situational bonus, though.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Computer version is cheaper, and no set up time. No "undo" button, though, so occasionally you'll have some feel bad when you misclick and end your turn instead of attacking. You'll never forget to apply a situational bonus, though.

There is a "restart round" option now, which is better than nothing, but an accidental misclick or "oops, I meant to use the bottom half of the other card" is a colossal pain in the butt.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »

There is a "restart round" option now, which is better than nothing, but an accidental misclick or "oops, I meant to use the bottom half of the other card" is a colossal pain in the butt.

It can also be a little vague when you've got multiple card effects played in order.

x1f3slkx3lvo.png

You can usually make do from context, but sometimes you finish your move, get to the next card effect, and just forget what it does, and there's not a lot of context beyond "Pick a target"

There's also an annoying autocomplete on Moves. I'm not sure if this is how the board game works (haven't picked up in a year or so), but if you play say a Move 4, and have Boots of "Tap for +2 Move", if you move up to 3 spaces, it gives you the option of still using your boots. But if you move your last space, it autoconcludes your move, and you miss your chance. This can be annoying if you're exactly that number of spaces away from a door, and want to know what's on the other side of the door as to whether to stand put (and not use the boots), or advance or retreat, once you see enemy placement.

But otherwise I HIGHLY recommend it. Other than being a resource hog for what should NOT be an issue mechanically (I have an old PC with no 3dGFX), it's a fantastic port of the board game.

And Guildmaster (the alternate game option) is a fun way of doing things once you've done the campaign. Quasi-random generator that allows you a fair amount of open play.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, my friends and I just attempted Scenario 22 in Frosthaven:
    The one on the ship while searching for the coral crown. And we made a huge mistake having a minion be the first thing down into the hold because we got immediately blocked from entering by an elite clawcrusher and then started drawing low damage against it and were just struggling. I finally managed to jump past it but then rolled BALLS on killing all the eels inside with my big one use AOE (I'm a Drifter) and got hammered by the eels next turn. We ended up losing the scenario with two enemies left inside. Sigh. And now it'll be a month until our next game because of vacations.

I really like the Drifter's mechanics, but I'm so eager to see some of the new classes we've unlocked that I can't wait to retire him. Which feels weird to say, but there's so much to explore in this game and I want to see it all!

• Options
    For those who missed out on either campaign, or wanted to get bits (I've decided to get organizers, because I regret the fuck out of that decision), Cephalofair is doing a fairly big "get in" campaign.

https://www.backerkit.com/c/cephalofair/gloomhaven?ref=bk-ec-22871

• Options
    Cephalofair's been pretty active over the past week or so during their Backerkit, going over the mechanics of the RPG and such. My big takeaway was that they're printing a series of scenario/map books to give Frosthaven the JotL treatment. No more map tiles! No more fiddling with door and obstacle tokens!

Today, they announced a smaller, faster, single-player game with roughly the same gameplay as Gloomhaven: Buttons & Bugs.

I'm not linking to the campaign, but the devs did a quick playthrough of a mission which describes the gameplay pretty well.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Buttons and bugs is cute but I really don't know if I can imagine playing a micro solo game. I'm not sure what niche having a travel version of a solo game fits in my gameplay life.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Retired my Blinkblade last night. What a great class, I will probably be back to play at a higher prosperity with more items/enhancements (which we just unlocked also). I'm the designated fast sneaky class player of my group, so I have to come back at least enough to play the 01 initiative card once. I'm the designee because while I started as Spellweaver in Gloomhaven, after that I played Eclipse, Music Notes, Mind Thief, and one game of Scoundrel before we put Gloomhaven away. So if I don't have at least 2-3 cards with initiatives in the teens, I feel sluggish.

Of course now I'm playing Boneshaper. They might have the most mid initiatives of any class I've seen, so many 40s. We've unlocked three others but me and another player wanted the BS/BS combo. Of the three we've unlocked, one is Trap, which no one is excited about. Coral is very exciting to most everyone, and I'm not sure on Snowflake.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Snowflake is an interesting support class. I bet it could be great paired up with Trap (which my group hasn't unlocked yet, but I'm speculating what it does from the name on the tin).

Some very general snowflake class spoilers below.
    he needs other good classes around to kill monsters, but with plenty of heals and monster movement in his deck he definitely makes the party more survivable. On its own it's hard for Snowflake to get big damage output more than once or twice a scenario -- its easy to do 1 or 2 direct damage to an entire room of monsters over and over with Chilling Impact, or to move monsters into traps/hazardous terrain/out of range, but otherwise nearly the only way to do more than Attack 2 is to play Snowball as a loss which gives you +0, +1, +2, +3, +4 to the next five attacks, and then time that with the right element generation so you can follow that up with a big loss area attack card to, say, do a Attack 6/7/8 on a trio of monsters.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Buttons and bugs is cute but I really don't know if I can imagine playing a micro solo game. I'm not sure what niche having a travel version of a solo game fits in my gameplay life.

Ehh, for $15, what the heck.

• Options
    RaveRave Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Retired my Blinkblade last night. What a great class, I will probably be back to play at a higher prosperity with more items/enhancements (which we just unlocked also). I'm the designated fast sneaky class player of my group, so I have to come back at least enough to play the 01 initiative card once. I'm the designee because while I started as Spellweaver in Gloomhaven, after that I played Eclipse, Music Notes, Mind Thief, and one game of Scoundrel before we put Gloomhaven away. So if I don't have at least 2-3 cards with initiatives in the teens, I feel sluggish.

Of course now I'm playing Boneshaper. They might have the most mid initiatives of any class I've seen, so many 40s. We've unlocked three others but me and another player wanted the BS/BS combo. Of the three we've unlocked, one is Trap, which no one is excited about. Coral is very exciting to most everyone, and I'm not sure on Snowflake.

That's a shame. Trap is in my top 3 of classes in all of FH. Boneshaper is easily my favorite starter though. You and BS should have a grand time. Which build are you going?

• Options
    RaveRave Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Snowflake is an interesting support class. I bet it could be great paired up with Trap (which my group hasn't unlocked yet, but I'm speculating what it does from the name on the tin).

he needs other good classes around to kill monsters, but with plenty of heals and monster movement in his deck he definitely makes the party more survivable. On its own it's hard for Snowflake to get big damage output more than once or twice a scenario -- its easy to do 1 or 2 direct damage to an entire room of monsters over and over with Chilling Impact, or to move monsters into traps/hazardous terrain/out of range, but otherwise nearly the only way to do more than Attack 2 is to play Snowball as a loss which gives you +0, +1, +2, +3, +4 to the next five attacks, and then time that with the right element generation so you can follow that up with a big loss area attack card to, say, do a Attack 6/7/8 on a trio of monsters.

Trap/Snowflake is indeed an insane combo. They are great fun together

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rave wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Trap/Snowflake is indeed an insane combo. They are great fun together

Snowflake has excellent synergy with several of the likely middle-game unlocks, in our experience.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Rave wrote: »

That's a shame. Trap is in my top 3 of classes in all of FH. Boneshaper is easily my favorite starter though. You and BS should have a grand time. Which build are you going?

Skeleton Horde with an eye toward Bone Ball if I hit level 8 before retiring (unlikely).

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any recommendations for replacements for the HP/XP trackers? I find them so loosely fitted that they spin out of place just picking them up.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Spin down d20s do the trick pretty well for me.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Depends on how much you want to spend. On the cheap end, a pad of paper and pencil is an option. Higher up, you can use dice (colour coded). Even higher still you've got HP/XP dials you can get from people on Etsy

A couple examples of the later:

Etsy 1
    Etsy 2
    Etsy 3
    Etsy 4 - I like this one for how portable it is to other games and its on the cheaper side of these as well.
    Etsy 5

• Options
    I've heard just winding a little bit of dental floss around the 'axle' of the dial tightens it up. Haven't tried yet.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    What are people’s opinions on Gloom vs Frost?

I played most of gloom and about the first 10 or so scenarios of Frost and I’d say in terms of scenarios and mob AI, it’s an improvement.

However there seems to a lot of admin when it comes to the town step in Frost and I’m not entirely sure I or the group I’m in are digging it.

Really think it could have done with another pass. For instance we’ve built some walks, trained soldiers, etc, but we’ve got zero idea what it actually means. I’m assuming the town will get attacked and stuff will help but /shrugs

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    What are people’s opinions on Gloom vs Frost?

I played most of gloom and about the first 10 or so scenarios of Frost and I’d say in terms of scenarios and mob AI, it’s an improvement.

However there seems to a lot of admin when it comes to the town step in Frost and I’m not entirely sure I or the group I’m in are digging it.

Really think it could have done with another pass. For instance we’ve built some walks, trained soldiers, etc, but we’ve got zero idea what it actually means. I’m assuming the town will get attacked and stuff will help but /shrugs

Winter is coming.

Definitely keep building things, it opens the game up more and more as you go.

Frost and gloom are related games but not the same for sure. I lean toward Frost, it’s got more depth and polish in my opinion.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hey, after 4 years and about 18-20 sessions, we finally retired our first characters in our OG Gloomhaven campaign last night. 2 in the same session!

After way too many long breaks, we've arranged to play basically 1-2 times a month until we finish or want to do something else, so we're finally making progress what with not having to remember how to play every 3-5 months.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought gloomhaven's second printing. Kickstarted frosthaven and I'm a bit bummed to have a first printing, especially since we've only just started playing, because the first printings have so many issues.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 29
    Started Frosthaven a couple months ago, 11ish missions in and its very fun

The starting classes are all way better than in gloomhaven, and surprisingly the calendar is my favorite new system because it actually changed the way we play the campaign.

In gloomhaven we would go back to town every time, even if missions were linked, because it gave us the most chances to see stuff. But in frosthaven we are doing linked missions right away instead of returning to town, even if somebody is ready to level up, because it feels like there is a strong benefit to getting as many resources as possible in between outpost phases.

Now I just need to retire, we've unlocked 3 classes so far (fist, trap, anemone) but I've got the herb collection retirement goal and I've been stuck at 2/5 for a while. Its hard to get new herbs unless I become a greedy bastard about looting

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    "no loot left behind" has always been my motto, since a couple sessions into Gloomhaven, and it's never let me down

• Options
    It's for the town, you see.

• Options
    It's for the town, you see.

For the greater good town!

• Options
    My personal quest choice for my frosthaven character unlocked the same thing and I’m not sure I’m completing the one I picked any time soon

I have 100 gold +X x my level. Bad enough the 100 gold but it increasing as I level up.

The other choice was crafting items which is what I should have picked considering crafting seems easier.

This seems like one of the rubbish gloomhaven filler quests. I guess personal quests no longer unlocking other classes is great but this character will hit the level cap unless there’s a story quest which solves this.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    My personal quest choice for my frosthaven character unlocked the same thing and I’m not sure I’m completing the one I picked any time soon

I have 100 gold +X x my level. Bad enough the 100 gold but it increasing as I level up.

The other choice was crafting items which is what I should have picked considering crafting seems easier.

This seems like one of the rubbish gloomhaven filler quests. I guess personal quests no longer unlocking other classes is great but this character will hit the level cap unless there’s a story quest which solves this.

This is not hard if you loot enough. I did it on my Boneshaper (second character) in 10-12 scenarios. Maybe less I didn't really like Boneshaper and tried to get out early. There's just not much you need to spend gold on.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

This is not hard if you loot enough. I did it on my Boneshaper (second character) in 10-12 scenarios. Maybe less I didn't really like Boneshaper and tried to get out early. There's just not much you need to spend gold on.

You can also get gold by crafting items and then selling them back at a rate of 2 gold per resource and item required to craft it

Its not the best rate but it does let you turn materials into cash if you're not getting gold from loot cards

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I've looted a lot; more than the other two guys I'm playing with combined, and there's generally very little left at the end of scenario that gets wasted. I played nearly every scenario in Gloomhaven, and picked up very little (I ended up on Notes, and just was quite happy), but my Frosthaven experience has been the complete opposite.

But the two guys I've been playing with, have all been about unlocking / upgrading / crafting, so we've been pooling resources to do that. I think I could sell my items and maybe get halfway there, so if it remained a flat value, I'd be close. It's the extra bit that scales as I level that the issue.

If I'd picked the other quest (which gave same reward), that was based on crafting X amount of items, then I'd be done.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    Weird question. Party has been making great early game progress, just unlocked "Necromancer's Sanctum", personal class quest toward the Sun Symbol class (note: Video game version of the game):
    So my Scoundrel had the personal class quest to get this special undead-slaying axe and kill 7 undead with it to unlock the Sun class. But during that mission where you find the axe, I looted it from the chest, but never even had it equipped because I already had a different axe equipped. We burned down the boss and I never equipped the axe.

We then saw a cutscene unlocking the Sun class? And it's now available to pick as a new merc? But I'm still able to play my scoundrel and still with the personal quest to slay some undead with this axe to retire.

Did I trigger a bug, or am I missing something?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Weird question. Party has been making great early game progress, just unlocked "Necromancer's Sanctum", personal class quest toward the Sun Symbol class (note: Video game version of the game):
    So my Scoundrel had the personal class quest to get this special undead-slaying axe and kill 7 undead with it to unlock the Sun class. But during that mission where you find the axe, I looted it from the chest, but never even had it equipped because I already had a different axe equipped. We burned down the boss and I never equipped the axe.

We then saw a cutscene unlocking the Sun class? And it's now available to pick as a new merc? But I'm still able to play my scoundrel and still with the personal quest to slay some undead with this axe to retire.

That definitely feels like a bug. If the Scoundrel had finished their personal quest, they wouldn't still be around. But you also didn't complete their quest anyway:
    You not only have to have the axe equipped, you have to use the axe in an attack that kills that type of enemy.

Is it possible that you unlocked the Sun class in a different way? I believe it can also be unlocked
    at 10 Popularity

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    Raiden333 wrote: »

That definitely feels like a bug. If the Scoundrel had finished their personal quest, they wouldn't still be around. But you also didn't complete their quest anyway:
    You not only have to have the axe equipped, you have to use the axe in an attack that kills that type of enemy.

Is it possible that you unlocked the Sun class in a different way? I believe it can also be unlocked
    at 10 Popularity

Ah! That 2nd spoiler might be it. I thought the only way to unlock new classes was their personal quests.

edit: but if so, I'm unable to see any of that reflecting on our party page.
    1tt8byyxqkrn.png

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    I think Bursar meant...
    10 Reputation, which you have.

I believe there's a free unlock at negative 10 popularity too.
    The darkness based assassin dude.

MorganV on