Options

[Werewolf: The Apocalypse] Like V:TM but with a megacorp. [and also with visual novels]

2»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

There's also a bunch of smaller-time Youtubers who've got their hands on the demo. Looks like someone is at least trying to promote this game as much as their no-doubt modest budget allows.

It seems more promising than the other game, at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB4888eh5Y4

Sweet, new PS2 games are still being made!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    God, I want to be hyped for this but that gameplay looks like it's from fifteen years ago.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sweet, new PS2 games are still being made!

C'mon, it's clearly early PS3. You know, before devs even knew what a cell was.

Hope they aren't expecting $60 for that.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Metal Gear Werewolf could be fun.

But I'm still not very into the generic angry bald guy protagonist. Does that guy even have a personality beyond 'is a werewolf'?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options

But I'm still not very into the generic angry bald guy protagonist. Does that even have a personality beyond 'is a werewolf'?

I feel like the devs just glanced at a W:TA wikipedia for a few minutes, picked a random tribe, and went from there.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular

But I'm still not very into the generic angry bald guy protagonist. Does that even have a personality beyond 'is a werewolf'?

I feel like the devs just glanced at a W:TA wikipedia for a few minutes, picked a random tribe, and went from there.

Getting that feeling about this too. Little concerned this releases in a few days and there isn't much on it. Still going to buy this, but I suspect it will suck.

• Options
    The opening and gameplay:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0dstpj80ZE

The story elements seem on-point, but the gameplay is just literal stealth/hack'n'slash.
    There's also a Black Spiral shoutout.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Damn this game comes out in three days? I eagerly wait impressions of whoever is brave enough to buy it.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's pretty cheap at least

• Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    Sad feels. How can you ruin werewolves? :/ At least they have werewolf Ric Flair... I guess.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Well I'll say my biggest fear from watching that gameplay footage was that it would have hard fail stealth sections -- it appears that it doesn't past the intro sequence, from the reviews I read. You can apparently get detected and werewolf out and kill everyone.

It does feel strange to devote so much to stealth segments in a werewolf game when that's an option, but I will give them credit for not making it a forced reload on detection at least.

It did get a 4/10 on IGN though, so ya know. It sounds like it's eurojank as hell but possibly lovable if you really enjoy the license. But, the person who wrote the IGN review seems to be decently familiar with the setting and seems especially disappointed with that part. I won't pretend to know a bunch about it, but it sounds like there's some questionable stuff like Frenzy just being a power up "kill everything" mode without any actual consequence, despite it being something that werewolves should try to never do a la giving into the Beast in The Masquerade:
    I don’t get a sense that I’d have a significantly different experience if I were to play the campaign again and make different choices because you don't get to pick Cahal's Tribe or Auspice (the moon sign a werewolf was born under, which serves almost like their character class in the tabletop game), so there isn't much by way of customization. You don't even really get to decide how you want to roleplay him. Aside from one story choice at the very end which is played out with all the emotional weight of a wet sock, his personality and values are set in stone. I am again compelled to contrast this with Bloodlines, in which all the different ways of making your vampire your vampire were among the main strengths.

I could go on and on about how Earthblood also fails to successfully capture the major themes of Apocalypse, or any of the things that make werewolves in that universe so uniquely cool. There’s a lot. And it’s especially frustrating because there are some artifacts of a better game here. For example, during development, Cyanide mentioned that keeping your inner beast caged for too long by using stealth and diplomacy could lead to your rage overflowing, causing an involuntary transformation and starting a fight at a perhaps inconvenient time. That would have been awesome, and it's the sort of thing that happens in the tabletop game all the time! Losing control and going on a rampage is as much a part of being a werewolf as drinking blood is part of being a vampire. But it doesn't seem to have made it into the final game, because there are never any lasting consequences for anything you do.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Cyanide ruining another seemingly fool proof franchise; at least they’re consistent I guess

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Was hoping for a new bloodlines, instead we got a new hunter

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    It's Cyanide so odds are they'll release several content packs you can only get by completely rebuying the game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    So far the game kind of reminds me Of Orcs and Men. The stealth portions, especially the ones that preface a combat area, are really there to make the combat areas less tedious. Do a good job at snapping a lot of necks, maybe only have to fight 2 or 3 guys. Do a bad job at snapping necks, looks like there's 45 people to eat as a werewolf. I like it so far but I haven't gotten to far into it. I'm kind of hoping for a overall WoD shoutout at some point, like the logging company is owned by some Ventru or something.

But more importantly, werewolf butts.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    MJR finally gets a PS5, and what is one of the first games he plays on this rare and powerful system?

That's right, it's the one that looks like it came from the PS3!

Anyway, skip to 3:25 for some Earthblood footage and thoughts. He's only a few hours in and doesn't seem that up on W:tA lore but he says he's rather enjoying himself, despite the graphics. While this game doesn't have a great metacritic, it sounds like some are enjoying it at least.

https://youtu.be/QwK48uRx9b0

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    So far the game kind of reminds me Of Orcs and Men. The stealth portions, especially the ones that preface a combat area, are really there to make the combat areas less tedious. Do a good job at snapping a lot of necks, maybe only have to fight 2 or 3 guys. Do a bad job at snapping necks, looks like there's 45 people to eat as a werewolf. I like it so far but I haven't gotten to far into it. I'm kind of hoping for a overall WoD shoutout at some point, like the logging company is owned by some Ventru or something.

sold

broken image link
  • Options
    Using this game to break in a PS5 is like... uh... using a brand new laptop to play Oregon Trail, I guess.

I'll probably try it, just when it price drops to like... $2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Ventrue wouldn't really make sense. It would be Pentex, which is either its own thing or mages depending.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Using this game to break in a PS5 is like... uh... using a brand new laptop to play Oregon Trail, I guess.

I'll probably try it, just when it price drops to like... $2.

It'll show up on PS+ or Game Pass eventually.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Ventrue wouldn't really make sense. It would be Pentex, which is either its own thing or mages depending.

*pushes glasses up nose*

Pentex was started by the Technocracy but is no longer under their control. They're horrified at what it's become.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Tube wrote: »

*pushes glasses up nose*

Pentex was started by the Technocracy but is no longer under their control. They're horrified at what it's become.

I will gladly accept this level of nerdery contribution.

But I think it's very dependent on which source book is "primary true" isn't it? If the mage flavor of the universe was true, then it was the Technocrats. If the werewolf flavor is more true, Pentex is a Wyrm originated organization which has corrupted the Technocracy and a few kindred. Also, the Technocracy is usually associated with the Weaver affiliated orgs, and Pentex is primarily Wyrm affiliated, I think? Specifically, Pentex was a plain, small company corrupted by a giant Bane bound in the earth.

Admittedly I think you of all people have consumed more White Wolf stuff than me, but I dug into quite a bit of the werewolf source material.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options

*pushes glasses up nose*

But I think it's very dependent on which source book is "primary true" isn't it? If the mage flavor of the universe was true, then it was the Technocrats. If the werewolf flavor is more true, Pentex is a Wyrm originated organization which has corrupted the Technocracy and a few kindred. Also, the Technocracy is usually associated with the Weaver affiliated orgs, and Pentex is primarily Wyrm affiliated, I think? Specifically, Pentex was a plain, small company corrupted by a giant Bane bound in the earth.

Admittedly I think you of all people have consumed more White Wolf stuff than me, but I dug into quite a bit of the werewolf source material.

It really depends on what game you're running and who your PCs are. If your PCs are Garou, it's the Wyrm. If they're Mages, it's Technocracy. If they're Kindred, well, "who cares".

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

*pushes glasses up nose*

It really depends on what game you're running and who your PCs are. If your PCs are Garou, it's the Wyrm. If they're Mages, it's Technocracy. If they're Kindred, well, "who cares".

Oh don't worry if it's Mages it could also be Marauders. Or Nephandi. Or just other Mages.

If there is one thing anyone should take away from the World of Darkness it's that Everybody Hates Mages. ESPECIALLY other Mages.

• Options
    Everything was entirely connected and interchangeable.

Except Changelings. Changelings didn't really interlock into anything else ever.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

*pushes glasses up nose*

Oh don't worry if it's Mages it could also be Marauders. Or Nephandi. Or just other Mages.

If there is one thing anyone should take away from the World of Darkness it's that Everybody Hates Mages. ESPECIALLY other Mages.

Mages and vampires are natural enemies! Like werewolves and mages! Or mummies and mages! Or wraths and mages! Or mages and other mages! Damn mages! They ruined Mage: The Ascension!

• Options
    I tried this again and it’s just so pissweak. Worse than I imagined. The facial animations are worse than bloodlines

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Heh yeah that struck me in the videos too. I'm playing through Bloodlines now because I convinced a friend to, and it's not an exaggeration. The facial animations, dialogue, and delivery are just substantially better in that 2004 game.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

*pushes glasses up nose*

Demons either love mages (because they make excellent thralls) or hate them (because mage-ing came from bits of dead angels grafting onto human souls). Probably both at the same time.

• Options
    Since Earthblood is, by all reasonable accounts awful, let's talk about the good Werewolf game instead!

dvms72q2fg7x.png
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342620/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__Heart_of_the_Forest/

I'm about halfway into Heart of the Forest, my first real deep exposure to the lore, and it's been fun, though I have a bad feeling it's going to pull a Coteries and come to an abrupt start once things really get started.

I really like the first half when everything builds up before
    the shoe drops and she becomes a Garou
    though I guess that was inevitable. The writer(s) and art design team do a great job of making an immersive story, much like the V:TM VNs. Surprised it's by a completely different team.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm about halfway into Heart of the Forest, my first real deep exposure to the lore, and it's been fun, though I have a bad feeling it's going to pull a Coteries and come to an abrupt start once things really get started.

You're not wrong. Although I do think Heart of the Forest comes to more natural conclusion than Coteries. Really, I just wish it was longer.

The writer(s) and art design team do a great job of making an immersive story, much like the V:TM VNs. Surprised it's by a completely different team.

I like how Heart of the Forest is a visual novel that isn't afraid to get freaky and metaphorical with its visuals. Sometimes that kind of thing helps set the mood so much better than the standard talking heads in front of a background.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2022

You're not wrong. Although I do think Heart of the Forest comes to more natural conclusion than Coteries. Really, I just wish it was longer.

The writer(s) and art design team do a great job of making an immersive story, much like the V:TM VNs. Surprised it's by a completely different team.

I like how Heart of the Forest is a visual novel that isn't afraid to freaky and metaphorical with its visuals. Sometimes that kind of thing helps set the mood so much better than the standard talking heads in front of a background.

Yeah, I finished it this morning, and I wasn't as disappointed with the ending as I was expected to be, but I still feel like they can(and should) do more.
    Maybe they have a Shadows in the wings of their own?

Here's how my Maia turned out:
    unknown.png?width=1026&height=577

Uh, I hope they taught her that "don't wreck your clothes" rite. :lol:

Also, great end credit music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMrHGXzWa8

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png