As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CanadaPAX (June 15, 2018) - Discord and a Vague Schedule on Page 7

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The last time I went to Montreal, it was to go to Calypso Water Park (which is actually outside of Montreal). However, we spent the night in Montreal at a boutique hotel and it cost us $500 a night because it was happening around the Osheaga Music Festival, too.

Protip: Book rooms in advance. Do not attend Montreal for Osheaga unless you like overpaying for a hotel.

Also, bars in Montreal let the liquor flow free. Getting a shot of anything isn't that expensive, and they tend to make it a double. :)

Oh boy, don't go to Calypso next time. There's safety issues with a few of the rides. Super Aqua Club is closer to the Montreal area and has some pretty solid rides for the price. (Calypso is actually closer to Ottawa.) I guess that also qualifies as an option for a thing to do, albeit a less accessible distance since there's no metro stop.
    Brolo wrote: »
    Oh uh

should I come to this?

why are you even asking

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So it was sorta mentioned but so imagine the plan is for a weekend excursion? Since I’ve never actually been to Canada spending more time would be ideal but I guess that would depend on if I’m having to find a hotel room for the rest of that time or whatever.

Also how expensive are things in Montreal generally? Like say compared to PAX South what am I spending on food and drink?

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So it was sorta mentioned but so imagine the plan is for a weekend excursion? Since I’ve never actually been to Canada spending more time would be ideal but I guess that would depend on if I’m having to find a hotel room for the rest of that time or whatever.

Also how expensive are things in Montreal generally? Like say compared to PAX South what am I spending on food and drink?

If you have 'Murican dollars, you'll be fine. Typical McDs combo for example around Canada is about $10 for like, Big Mac/10 nuggets, lrg fries and drink. Compare that to what you pay for a similar combo in your State and then add 20% because your $1 is about $1.20 here.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2018

I think we'd expect either a Thursday or Friday through Sunday excursion. I'd be open to showing folks around Ottawa beforehand pending my work situation if they want to fly in there instead; the Greyhound is extremely cheap one-way (like $30 for an hour and a half bus ride) and makes for a...very effective sneaky predrink.

(Ottawa, comparatively, is the fourth largest city and capital. Lots of nice museums, comparatively cheaper food and bars, but more a city while Montreal is a metropolis.)

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    If you're looking for some other physical group activities:
    There are a couple archery tag places in Montreal that book groups or solo players. (Basically, dodgeball with bows and foam tipped arrows with a few different win conditions and such.)
    Https://Combatdarchers.ca is the one I went to, it's by the Olympic stadium.
    There's also http://montreal.dodgebow.ca with a location closer to the downtown core.

Dodgebow costs more and has a shorter overall play time, but offers you the option of rubber tipped arrows that fly faster and hit harder.
    Fair warning, foam tipped arrows to the head will ring your bell, I don't even want to think about rubber ones.

I noticed the axe throwing link in the op, and want to throw in Rage: Axe Throwing. ( www.ragemontreal.com ) to that list, here you rent the targets by the hour and can have 3 people per target. The website makes it seem a little more basic than maniax, but significantly cheaper.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I think we'd expect either a Thursday or Friday through Sunday excursion. I'd be open to showing folks around Ottawa beforehand pending my work situation if they want to fly in there instead; the Greyhound is extremely cheap one-way (like $30 for an hour and a half bus ride) and makes for a...very effective sneaky predrink.

(Ottawa, comparatively, is the fourth largest city and capital. Lots of nice museums, comparatively cheaper food and bars, but more a city while Montreal is a metropolis.)

Montreal's nightlife is arguably better than Ottawa's as well. There aren't nearly as many bars in Ottawa than there are in Montreal, if that's something that interests you. I imagine for PAX-related events, bars might be a social thing, but they'd be the last place I'd try to look into for something like getting in friendly board/card/video games.

But if you want to do karaoke...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I mean...

There's some pretty good board and video game cafes/bars here too, as well as some karaoke joints; the downtown area is a lot like San Antonio's for good or ill if you were trying to compare to another PAX, but there's archery tag and axe-throwing and escape rooms and all that, too

I'm not trying to sell Ottawa as a Montreal alternative, but if it came down to it as a resident I could easily occupy folks for several days here

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    I’m in Ottawa and end up in Montreal every few months so I may go to this. I highly recommend that people bring sensible shoes for Montreal, it is not a flat city and you will be walking up and down hills a lot if site seeing. Mont Royal and the port area are great.

If people have time both Ottawa and Quebec City are a few hours away (although opposite directions), worth seeing and reasonably priced to get to by bus or ride share (for those driving fill up for gas in Ottawa, it’s way cheaper than Montreal). Toronto is around 5.5 hours away and Niagara Falls a further 1.5 hours from that for those that want to see even more of Canada.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Fuck.

I'm going to Canada aren't I

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Fuck.

I'm going to Canada aren't I

DO IT

Steam
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Worth noting that Canada Day is on a Sunday, so if we do that weekend, the locals are more likely to have Monday off than Friday.

I should probably check to make sure when I get back to the office, actually.

Edit: Yup, got Monday off.

And hell, Victoria day's a Monday too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Hey folks! Just a reminder to vote in the date poll if you want to attend. This isn't mandatory but it helps us pick the date that most people can show up, and I want to make that choice by the start of March!

If you're too lazy to click back to the OP, the link is here: https://goo.gl/forms/bSrRRHgjTgvTlNr52

Right now it's basically Canada Day/July 1 versus one of the other two dates - people are either voting for the first or both of the other two. July 1st is winning 6-4.

And yeah fair point from folks about the weekend time, so I'd assume at least Friday through Monday but people can realistically roll up to Montreal any time around then. I'd likely be planning to arrive Thursday evening or early Friday morning, depending on if anyone comes to Ottawa first.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I also voted, count me as one of the non-July folks. There's a convention that weekend that I'll most likely be working, so I have to keep it open sadly. At the same time, I'm not 100% if I'd be able to make any of the dates, so my vote doesn't count for much anyway.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS ARE COMING TO MY CITY?

i'm down, how do I sign up to hang out with youse?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    You give us your address, and we'll come to you!

• Options
    Needless to say: don’t post your home address on this very public forum.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Right, post someone else's.

Send any complaints to Sim Ben, 123 Canada Street, Montreal Quebec

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Neato! I am an Ontario boi, maybe this is something I can work into my life / plans!

I'll let you folks make the decisions about when it should be, and I'll just do my best to be there. :)

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My address is 6760 Saint-Vallier, Montreal

EDIT: This joke brought to you by Beau Dommage.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Us Montreal folk should really meet up at the Randolph and quality test their drinks, and check out their game selection.. to make sure it's safe for the out of towners..

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I would vote but the likelihood of me having the money to get out there is pretty low!

Stupid big country

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I didn’t realize this entire forum apparently lives here?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I didn’t realize this entire forum apparently lives here?

It's the scene from Anchorman where he blows the conch but they're all already in the bar

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I had no idea there were so many Montreal people on the forum.

Well, if you're gonna hold a party in town, it'd be rude not to go.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wanted to quickly just pop in here and say Simon and Emily are two of my favorite people on the whole forums, i deeply wish k could go and I'm sorry the finances aren't right right now.

Love yall.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Hey folks! Gonna leave the poll open for one more day, because I forgot to do a reminder post about it yesterday.

Help us pick a date!

https://goo.gl/forms/bSrRRHgjTgvTlNr52

Steam
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i really WANT to do this but I think what with having a 1, 2, or 3-month old child at those times i will be otherwise occupied

i'll probably be stayin home playin some bored games if you catch my drift! ha, ha! my child will be a drip

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    i really WANT to do this but I think what with having a 1, 2, or 3-month old child at those times i will be otherwise occupied

i'll probably be stayin home playin some bored games if you catch my drift! ha, ha! my child will be a drip

Bring the kid! Never too soon for your first PAX I always say

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Bring the kid! Never too soon for your first PAX I always say

i fear my boy will not have the immune system to withstand even the mildest strain of pax pox

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    As a resident, do I really have an excuse to not attend?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    I wish AE people were coming but I'll survive! We're gonna have a blast at this.

We could just start an AE podcast with the people who are there to MAKE it so though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I wish AE people were coming but I'll survive! We're gonna have a blast at this.

We could just start an AE podcast with the people who are there to MAKE it so though.

palapatine voice but canadian (palpoutine): i will make it legal

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    mods please change my name to Emperor Palpoutine

sig.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Do it, eh

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Do it, eh

do it (mouthing to dooku "sorry!")

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Ahh, ya scruffy nerfhoser

I'm good with any day, so pretend I voted for them all

Edit: also Floosie, techically your kid should still have passive immunity going for them at that point.. Just saying

Atheraal on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What was the date determined?

• Options
    Trying to figure if I can make a birthday trip to Seattle and this.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Trying to figure if I can make a birthday trip to Seattle and this.

WHAT???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    So one of the hopper alerts I set up told me now is the time to buy, but what date are we going with?