As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [Movies] Are Best

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of the writer for Borderlands 2 thinking he was making the next Bioshock

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Reminds me of the writer for Borderlands 2 thinking he was making the next Bioshock

Source?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    It is an interview with the writer I half remember from years ago. He talked about how he thought he was making an immersive experience like the shocks and whatnot. I think he cited the Thiefs?

I honestly don't remember much more, but I wasn't particularly in the mood to give him a lot of space.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It is an interview with the writer I half remember from years ago. He talked about how he thought he was making an immersive experience like the shocks and whatnot. I think he cited the Thiefs?

I honestly don't remember much more, but I wasn't particularly in the mood to give him a lot of space.

He talked about how making a mostly-silent protagonist would help with immersion into the world, and cited Half-Life and the first Bioshock as examples where it worked well. I don't think it was ever implied that Anthony Burch thought he was writing "the next Bioshock."

He actually talks about seeing the reaction from players disagreeing with his choice when the game launched, so he made the decision to introduce more player character dialogue in the DLC expansions, after realizing he misjudged the appeal of the silent protagonist thing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ah, that sounds familiar. I hated the writing of Borderlands 2, so I probably was much less sympathetic.

Plus the whole stealing from Fox thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ah, that sounds familiar. I hated the writing of Borderlands 2, so I probably was much less sympathetic.

Plus the whole stealing from Fox thing.

I would not blame the writing staff for misappropriating funds meant for a different game.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just saw Ghost Stories, the kind of film Hammer used to make, but with less fake blood. An anthology horror movie, three subtly linked tales with an over-arching story wrapped around it. Good performances, nicely directed scares and lots of fun.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Is that on Netflix? I think I say something like that come up but skipped over it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Do not doubt Multi-Hyphenate James Cameron.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Avatar did well in the US, but most of its money came from the foreign box office. Asia and most specifically China went nuts for Avatar in 2009. There, it's literally a cultural phenomenon in the same vein as Star Wars is in the US. The Avatar sequels are targeting the Asian market first with the American and other western markets being of lesser concern. It's an interesting time we live in. So much more Chinese money has poured into the film industry that in many cases, the biggest budgeted blockbusters are targeting Chinese markets over western.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Avatar was a pretty big thing at the time, it just had no staying power. It succeeded purely on the strength of pretty images and well-done 3D, but as soon as something prettier came out, people stopped caring.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Avatar was a pretty big thing at the time, it just had no staying power. It succeeded purely on the strength of pretty images and well-done 3D, but as soon as something prettier came out, people stopped caring.

It didnt exactly have a groundbreaking story, or engaging characters. It was strictly formula, existing mostly as an excuse for the scenery. Thats not a BAD thing, it just means you cant expect longevity. James Cameron wanted to make a really gorgeous alien world, and he did. There's just nothing new or unique happening on that world.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I get the avatar hate but James Cameron has more than proved himself worth listening to.

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I get the avatar hate but James Cameron has more than proved himself worth listening to.

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

I think it's more that his most recent good movie was made in 1997

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hopefully if Jim Cameron makes enough money he'll spend it on something truly deranged like a research facility in the Challenger Deep or a fleet of robot submarines or some such

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

This seems to be a matter of him not really making a lot of movies, not him switching to making bad ones.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

Isn't Avatar his only movie since 1997?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

Isn't Avatar his only movie since 1997?

I think he's done documentaries but yeah, looks like he hasn't touched film much since Titanic.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

T2
    Aliens
    True lies
    The abyss
    First blood part 2
    Titanic

Well yeah kind of, there was a 14 year gap between Titanic and Avatar, where he pretty much spent his time deep sea diving.

In my opinion Avatar's main failing isn't the plot, it certainly isn't the pretty pictures(which where really pretty), but its forgettable Main star.

No, not Stephen Lang. He plays the villain and is one of the good parts of the movie, but the guy they cast to play the Hero Jai Courtney. A completely forgettable face with zero charisma that is out acted by a paper bag. He is a big part of why Terminator Genisys never got off the ground.

EXCEPT, it wasn't Jai Courtney that stared in Avatar at all, it was Sam Worthington. Bet you forgot that didn't you? Want to know what is worse? I looked up the Avatar Wikipage to check my spelling on names. Worthingtons face is on the poster next to Zoe Saldana. Despite having seen his face just seconds ago I can't remember his face! Its not that he is ugly. Its that he is so blandly handsome that remembering his face becomes hard. Like there is no flaw or facial characteristic that I can hang on to. Its pure uncanny valley.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    One movie in over twenty years, and not a particularly good one, yet still treated like he's relevant based on his (admittedly significant) past glories.

He's like the movie director equivalent of Metallica.

Jazz on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    One movie in over twenty years, and not a particularly good one, yet still treated like he's relevant based on his past glories.

He's like the movie director equivalent of Metallica.

I think AC/DC or the manga Berserk is more fitting...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think this interview has my favorite bit of Cameron wisdom for this conversation:
    Will the Avatar sequels deal with some of the similar themes you addressed in the first film, in particular, the environment?

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.
    I'd like to see how many people saying "nobody remembers that movie, it's a big old nothing" were huge on it when it first came out. I mean, sure, it didn't completely alter the entire blockbuster cinema landscape irrevocably forever (which basically every other Cameron movie did) but it's not like nobody liked it at the time...

• Options
    I think this interview has my favorite bit of Cameron wisdom for this conversation:
    Will the Avatar sequels deal with some of the similar themes you addressed in the first film, in particular, the environment?

It will be a natural extension of all the themes, and the characters, and the spiritual undercurrents. Basically, if you loved the first movie, you’re gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you’re probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you’re probably gonna love these.
    I'd like to see how many people saying "nobody remembers that movie, it's a big old nothing" were huge on it when it first came out. I mean, sure, it didn't completely alter the entire blockbuster cinema landscape irrevocably forever (which basically every other Cameron movie did) but it's not like nobody liked it at the time...

It p much made 3D films a fact of life, for better or worse.

It was also really extraordinary world-building, with a lot of thought given to things like the floating islands, the rock strata formations, etc.

It's a shame it got saddled with a story that doesn't hold up upon repeat viewings but eh

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    In my own movie news. I decided to clean up my Netflix cue and watched Django Unchained and Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang over the weekend.

Django: Christoph Waltz is a treasure. Full stop.

Kiss, Kiss: Man, Val Kilmer. There is a loss really. I hope he makes a comeback like RDJ in the future. The Movie itself is pure Shane Black. I watched the Nice Guys before this and boy does he have a style. Very similar movies in tone and feel, but its such a good tone/feel that you don't mind.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Val Kilmer always makes me want to ask, who do you think gave the best (like, genuinely awesome) performance in a shit movie?

Because he's always my answer to that, in The Doors. He was fucking amazing in that movie, but the movie was so unbelievably awful I wanted to force feed every copy of it to Oliver Stone.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Avatar also killed a guy, not a lot of movies can paint a kill count on their fuselage

• Options
    Val Kilmer always makes me want to ask, who do you think gave the best (like, genuinely awesome) performance in a shit movie?

Because he's always my answer to that, in The Doors. He was fucking amazing in that movie, but the movie was so unbelievably awful I wanted to force feed every copy of it to Oliver Stone.

Sascha Baron Cohen in Through The Looking Glass.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

First one that comes to mind is Kyle Maclachlan in Dune

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Oliver Stone is a wretched director

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Sam Worthington can barely keep an accent together for a scene, never mind the whole film. I have no idea why he was being pushed as a big star for a while, but I'm glad that time has come and gone.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm not entirely sure "good" is the word I'd use but Redmayne is pretty bonkers in Jupiter Ascending. Garfield did a good job with Spider-man.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Sam Worthington can barely keep an accent together for a scene, never mind the whole film. I have no idea why he was being pushed as a big star for a while, but I'm glad that time has come and gone.

My guess is there's a lot of call for his type and he was cheap.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Just got out of Rampage. I know this is a really low bar to clear, but it's probably the best video game movie I've ever seen. The theater was pretty full, too, and it seemed like people were really getting into it.

One of the best parts of the movie:
    *Godzilla-sized alligator emerges from the river in the middle of Chicago, comes ashore, throws back its head and sounds a long and loud roar*
    *Dramatic close-up of Dwayne Johnson*
    "That sucks."

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Just got out of Rampage. I know this is a really low bar to clear, but it's probably the best video game movie I've ever seen. The theater was pretty full, too, and it seemed like people were really getting into it.

*Godzilla-sized alligator emerges from the river in the middle of Chicago, comes ashore, throws back its head and sounds a long and loud roar*
    "That sucks."

I still think it's a weirdly random game to make into a movie. Has anyone even thought about Rampage in the past 20 years?

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »

"That sucks."

I still think it's a weirdly random game to make into a movie. Has anyone even thought about Rampage in the past 20 years?

May have seen it on the LGR YouTube channel for a second

I mean, if you're gonna make a movie about a video game, Rampage has zero story and is about monsters wrecking shit. Seems like a perfect fit.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Sadgasm wrote: »

"That sucks."

Its unlikely it started life as Rampage. Someone probably just realized they could get a vaguely recognizable tie in for Monster Movie A List Action Star Vehicle.

edit: Huh, apparently Warner Brothers got the rights when they bought Midway Games

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    About 15 minutes in, when the animals were exposed to the mutagen, I thought to myself "I can't believe I'm really watching a fucking Rampage movie."

And it was at least decent!

I'm a bit disappointed that
    the main bad guy didn't end up merging with her pet rat somehow, especially with how much they showed it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I've only truly regretted two movie purchases; Avatar and Man of Steel. Should have just rented them or waited for them to hit HBO.

Stephen Lang did his absolute best to make Avatar memorable, but he just couldn't save the whole movie. He was fucking fantastic as always. Cant say the same for anything else besides the visuals.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Okay, I need to know regarding Rampage. And you can answer in spoiler tags.

Is there a part where one of the monsters grabs a dude and eats him whole? Bonus points if it's one of the mutant creatures after it turns back into a non-monster.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Also, is there a part where one of them goes to eat a toaster and gets an electric shock?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I was watching IFC earlier and they're having an "earth day" marathon. Watched Cloverfield, followed by T2. Which, wow, that movie still holds up so well. The special FX are still amazing. Anyways, they're showing contagion next.

Which in the previews for it, they're kind of painting it as a comedy, and it's kind of interesting? I don't know what it is, but I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't a comedy that was remembering as a drama/thriller.

RickRude on
This discussion has been closed.