As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Job] thread, when and how to break dance while in an interview

195969798100

Posts

  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Normally I can parse your posts after a couple reads, Royce, but I gotta admit that this one is leaving me baffled.

    Brovid HasselsmofsarukunElvenshae3cl1ps3TynnanBolthornRainfallL Ron HowardtynicLabelSkeithSlacker71
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Deploying new service to prod!

    4bnfNfG.gif

    FishmansarukunASimPersongodmodeN1tSt4lkerElvenshaeKosenjouTofystedethAnon the FelonOghulk3cl1ps3LaOsTynnanRoyceSraphimPolaritieStiltsNaphtaliAustinP0027BucketmanL Ron HowardInfidelschussKamiroCommander ZoomSkeithDrZiplockSlacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've got a colleague who is going for promotion which like everything here is a big awful bureaucratic process. He needs to assemble a promotion case which demonstrates he's operating at the next rank. Generally you do this through gathering a load of feedback from people saying "Toby is already working as a Senior Fishmonger, we should probably adjust his title to reflect this". I don't think this colleague is really there yet but he's asked me to support his case. How do I say no? I don't want to just send feedback saying "Toby is an adequate Fishmonger and should remain at that rank" as that seems cruel and unhelpful.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Deploying new service to prod!

    4bnfNfG.gif

    You can do it


    Or enjoy for your RFO meeting?

  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is there a word for the realization that you worked over 12 hours at your sallaried job because you needed to finish some stuff before you go on holiday.

    Yeah, I could use that word.

    orthanc
    honovere
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Is there a word for the realization that you worked over 12 hours at your sallaried job because you needed to finish some stuff before you go on holiday.

    Yeah, I could use that word.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

    sig.gif
    sarukunOrthanc3cl1ps3JoolanderSkeithSlacker71
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Is there a word for the realization that you worked over 12 hours at your sallaried job because you needed to finish some stuff before you go on holiday.

    Yeah, I could use that word.

    Ah yes, the old "to take my holiday, i have to work so many extra hours I might as well have not taken holiday in the first place"

    Elvenshaebowenwebguy20Gnome-Interruptus
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hmm. I've got a colleague who is going for promotion which like everything here is a big awful bureaucratic process. He needs to assemble a promotion case which demonstrates he's operating at the next rank. Generally you do this through gathering a load of feedback from people saying "Toby is already working as a Senior Fishmonger, we should probably adjust his title to reflect this". I don't think this colleague is really there yet but he's asked me to support his case. How do I say no? I don't want to just send feedback saying "Toby is an adequate Fishmonger and should remain at that rank" as that seems cruel and unhelpful.

    What follows is not helpful advice: oh no that sucks and I also have no idea what I'd do. Good luck! In a perfect world you'd be able to be kind about it but there are so many people who just don't want to hear it.

  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Is there a word for the realization that you worked over 12 hours at your sallaried job because you needed to finish some stuff before you go on holiday.

    Yeah, I could use that word.

    "Selfsploitation."

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    ElvenshaeSlacker71
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    3cl1ps3Goose!RainfallN1tSt4lkerDrezSolarwebguy20AngelinaDonovan PuppyfuckerGnizmoSkeithMoridin889Slacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I hate having to show people how to do shit in case of an emergency too. No I can't show you what to do if a server crashes, if it doesn't turn back on you're fucked, sorry.

    If it's out of the budget to have redundancy of staff then that's on you not me.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DisruptedCapitalistSlacker71
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    I have never heard of this before.

    It's also 100% shit. It means if your job is laid out properly (you have enough paid hours in a day allotted that you can do all the tasks you'd get in a day), you'll have to put in overtime greater than or equal to the amount of vacation time before you get "paid" vacation.

    I mean sure, if you have a job where you sit around and play video games half the day that system could work? But those jobs tend to be "sit next to the phone and wait for someone to call you" type jobs, where you can't do much work in advance anyway.

    Kakodaimonos
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Normally I can parse your posts after a couple reads, Royce, but I gotta admit that this one is leaving me baffled.

    Hard for me to parse going from praise to fuckup in 8 hours from the same guy.

    We (different coworker) were discussing a route and eavesdropping person took it as we were incompetent at doing our job and somehow this nearly cost us a client.

    Worst part was that this was all started by me trying get a typo corrected concerning this route.

  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    I have never heard of this before.

    It's also 100% shit. It means if your job is laid out properly (you have enough paid hours in a day allotted that you can do all the tasks you'd get in a day), you'll have to put in overtime greater than or equal to the amount of vacation time before you get "paid" vacation.

    I mean sure, if you have a job where you sit around and play video games half the day that system could work? But those jobs tend to be "sit next to the phone and wait for someone to call you" type jobs, where you can't do much work in advance anyway.

    I work in a team working on delivering IT related critical national infrastructure. We're so overworked that I have to essentially line everything up/book resources so whoever is covering for me "shouldn't need to do anything" unless there is an emergency.

    And at that point, why did I bother booking annual leave in the first place, it would have been less stressful to be in the office.

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I hate having to show people how to do shit in case of an emergency too. No I can't show you what to do if a server crashes, if it doesn't turn back on you're fucked, sorry.

    If it's out of the budget to have redundancy of staff then that's on you not me.

    Yea, the only contingency plan that makes any sense would be a number for a local contract firm and a note "Prepare to write a huge check."

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    bowenRoyceSraphimTofystedethMoridin889
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Karl wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    I have never heard of this before.

    It's also 100% shit. It means if your job is laid out properly (you have enough paid hours in a day allotted that you can do all the tasks you'd get in a day), you'll have to put in overtime greater than or equal to the amount of vacation time before you get "paid" vacation.

    I mean sure, if you have a job where you sit around and play video games half the day that system could work? But those jobs tend to be "sit next to the phone and wait for someone to call you" type jobs, where you can't do much work in advance anyway.

    I work in a team working on delivering IT related critical national infrastructure. We're so overworked that I have to essentially line everything up/book resources so whoever is covering for me "shouldn't need to do anything" unless there is an emergency.

    And at that point, why did I bother booking annual leave in the first place, it would have been less stressful to be in the office.

    That sucks for you :(

    I feel like we keep spinning around on corporate culture and how it impacts employees in this thread.

    - You don't want to be put in a situation where you can't be sick because then your work won't be done- everyone else is too busy to cover for you. But coming in while you're sick just gets other people sick at work, and creates a vicious cycle.
    - You don't want to be put in a situation where you can't take vacation without doing an equivalent amount of extra work first, because that completely negates the benefit of having vacation.
    - You don't want to be put in a situation where your coworkers are quitting or going on mental health leave because your workplace is too stressful, because then the remaining people have to do extra work when they're already over capacity.

    But at the same time executives can get big bonuses if they stretch employees far enough to save some money, so apparently all that other stuff with its associated negative impact on productivity and the business' clients doesn't matter! :x

    El Skid on
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    I have never heard of this before.

    It's also 100% shit. It means if your job is laid out properly (you have enough paid hours in a day allotted that you can do all the tasks you'd get in a day), you'll have to put in overtime greater than or equal to the amount of vacation time before you get "paid" vacation.

    I mean sure, if you have a job where you sit around and play video games half the day that system could work? But those jobs tend to be "sit next to the phone and wait for someone to call you" type jobs, where you can't do much work in advance anyway.

    I work in a team working on delivering IT related critical national infrastructure. We're so overworked that I have to essentially line everything up/book resources so whoever is covering for me "shouldn't need to do anything" unless there is an emergency.

    And at that point, why did I bother booking annual leave in the first place, it would have been less stressful to be in the office.

    That sucks for you :(

    I feel like we keep spinning around on corporate culture and how it impacts employees in this thread.

    - You don't want to be put in a situation where you can't be sick because then your work won't be done- everyone else is too busy to cover for you. But coming in while you're sick just gets other people sick at work, and creates a vicious cycle.
    - You don't want to be put in a situation where you can't take vacation without doing an equivalent amount of extra work first, because that completely negates the benefit of having vacation.
    - You don't want to be put in a situation where your coworkers are quitting or going on mental health leave because your workplace is too stressful, because then the remaining people have to do extra work when they're already over capacity.

    But at the same time executives can get big bonuses if they stretch employees far enough to save some money, so apparently all that other stuff with its associated negative impact on productivity and the business' clients doesn't matter! :x

    It's almost like a purely monetary assessment of performance tends to lead to perverse incentives.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    El SkidbowenRainfallN1tSt4lkergodmodewebguy20JedocTofystedethDonovan PuppyfuckerstopgapSkeith
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Bucket.

    The System Admin and Programmer threads in Moe's might be a good resource if you're struggling but yeah I agree with what you're writing if that's the teaching method. Why the focus on shell scripting in a graduate program, though?

    Yeah... like, it's a useful skill but I can't imagine how it's on topic for grad classes.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    bowen
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    82uwvycajjfp.jpg

    I am off to my Oral Board today. Wish me luck!

    oh h*ck
    PolaritieTynnangodmodeBolthornRoyceSraphimchromdomDrezElvenshaeShenNaphtalimightyjongyoGoose!BucketmanRobonunwebguy20L Ron HowardDisruptedCapitalistCormacJedocTofystedethDonovan PuppyfuckerlonelyahavaGnizmoCommander ZoomstopgapSkeithKaplarSlacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Good luck! You look super sharp!

    3cl1ps3SorcegodmodeRoyceSraphimchromdomRainfallDrezN1tSt4lkerElvenshaeSolarGoose!BucketmanL Ron HowardDisruptedCapitalistCormacJedocTofystedethCommander ZoomstopgapSkeithKaplarSlacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I received an email back from one job at 11.45 pm last night (I didn’t reply because I wanted to be better-rested!), then received a phone call at 8.15 am to check that I’d seen it

    Not sure if impressed or slightly scared

    DrezGoose!That Dave FellaAl_watDonovan PuppyfuckerSlacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, those seem like odd times

    bowenSorce
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you can only take vacation if you've done all of your vacation work in advance is pretty common in corporate culture. I lost my shit about it once.

    I can’t even do this, because I get “emergency” requests all the goddamned time.

    At this point I need to train someone on the complex procedures I do just so I can take a vacation.

    At least that option has now opened up for me. Literal push comes to shove situation because last Thursday I was at a volunteer event through my company and all hell broke loose because I wasn’t available to do this one piece of shit report that was requested and my management decided to treat as urgent despite there really being no need for it.

    I need to take a week off for mental health but I have to get someone else competent on this first.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Christ. As I’m typing this, a higher level manager on this call made this comment: “...and we’re going to make you stay till midnight with us to fix the data.”

    This was met with silence.

    Then he says “that last part was kind of a joke...”

    So I unmuted and said “yes, very funny <Soandso>.”

    Which got a laugh. But seriously his comment wasn’t really a joke because that has happened and it annoyed everyone involved! Multiple times!

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    godmodeGnome-Interruptus
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Woops my colleague has malaria

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Woops my colleague has malaria

    Time to start on a punishing regimen of gin and tonics!

    DevoutlyApatheticLuvTheMonkeyElvenshaeSnicketysnickAnon the FelonSolarRoyceSraphimGoose!SorceRobonuna5ehrenKadithwebguy20tynicL Ron HowardJoolanderJedocMojo_JojojgeisTofystedethASimPersonDonovan PuppyfuckerGnizmoCommander ZoomstopgapSkeithMoridin889DrZiplockKaplarSlacker71Gnome-Interruptus
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Can you just pee on them or is that leprosy?

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Woops my colleague has malaria

    That's malarious!

    Seriously though that's kinda scary.

    ElvenshaeJansonRoyceSraphimGoose!webguy20Slacker71
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think that's jellyfish

    DrezDisruptedCapitalistSlacker71
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    How long do y'all reckon I should wait to call a company after putting in an application? 2-3 days? Or the next day?

    I don't wanna seem clingy :(

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    How long do y'all reckon I should wait to call a company after putting in an application? 2-3 days? Or the next day?

    I don't wanna seem clingy :(

    I usually wait at least a week.

    webguy20Jedoc
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Found out yesterday that I might be going back to Europe for a week this fall. Woo hoo!

    It's really grown on me, and whenever it comes up I tell my bosses that I'm always open to working there for a few years. Good thing Mrs. DoctorArch is cool with it too, otherwise that would be awkward.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    JansonGoose!godmode3cl1ps3ElvenshaechromdomL Ron HowardN1tSt4lkerTofystedethDonovan PuppyfuckerGnizmostopgapSkeithSlacker71
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, just got an email that the divisional director I work under passed away last night (and this was very much unexpected.)

    Work is going to suck today.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    A couple in my apartment complex got a cute fuzzy little chow chow because aww what a fluffy little snowball and I'm all like the joke is on you chow chows are absolute aresholes

    JansonDepressperadoBucketmanAngelHedgieElvenshaewebguy20TynnanRoyceSraphimL Ron HowardLindsay LohanGoose!bowenDoctorArchJedocWeaverOghulkDonovan PuppyfuckerGnizmoSkeithMoridin889DrZiplockSlacker71
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I responded to the email, so here's hoping my answers were satisfactory!

    godmode3cl1ps3chromdomGoose!Gnome-Interruptus
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Alright I sent a modified version of that email I typed last night. Its much less angry sounding.
    I have previously reached out to you in regard to what I felt was a lack of direction in the course, and how I didn't feel I was really learning much. I was hoping that when we got a textbook I could start leaning on that and wouldn't have to just google the answer to everything as I went along. And while the book has helped me to learn quite a bit about Linux, when you've thrown Shell Scripting at us, with nothing more then a few online tutorials, I find myself completely lost again. I can do a few basic things, run small strings and do some math, but when I sat down to do the quiz's, I felt woefully unprepared. I'm going to be doing some of my own digging, but I feel like these quiz's are too much too soon, we haven't really been shown how any of this works. I've done a few online classes over the years in both my undergraduate and in the graduate program here and have felt that in this course we have been mostly left to our own devices. I know as a graduate student we are expected to put forth more effort on our own, that was always to be expected for me going into a graduate program, and I have done that in every other course I have had, but I feel like this course has just been homework assigned and then were on our own with no assistance of any kind. I am very worried about my grade in the course, as I have not done well on these quiz's, and we have no homework grades yet. I am hoping that you might be able to help me out with some additional resources for the shell scripting, as I can't seem to find anything to help me with the quiz's and the assignment as I don't feel learnshell.org is helping much.

    Thank you for your time,

  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    A couple in my apartment complex got a cute fuzzy little chow chow because aww what a fluffy little snowball and I'm all like the joke is on you chow chows are absolute aresholes

    They need a ton of exercise and stuff, that seems like a bad apartment breed

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    A couple in my apartment complex got a cute fuzzy little chow chow because aww what a fluffy little snowball and I'm all like the joke is on you chow chows are absolute aresholes

    They need a ton of exercise and stuff, that seems like a bad apartment breed

    Huh, I had always pegged Chows as being on the "lazy ne'er-do-well" end of the spectrum. That's interesting to know!

  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    we had a chow mix when I was a kid and she was great

    obviously the good temperament could well have come from the mix part

  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    A couple in my apartment complex got a cute fuzzy little chow chow because aww what a fluffy little snowball and I'm all like the joke is on you chow chows are absolute aresholes

    They need a ton of exercise and stuff, that seems like a bad apartment breed

    It's not only that, the entire breed are massive shitheads. They're grumpy, unaffectionate, aggressive and mean. You can't have multiple pets because the Chow will bully them. They make decent guard dogs, but that's about it. If you really want a guard dog, there are better ones.

    tynicSkeith
This discussion has been closed.