As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I got something for my teleport mech that could just set an entire line on fire.
    I never used it, because by then it was just dropping vek in the way of volcanoes every turn.

Which meant I passed up the achievement to set 12 tiles or something on fire. Regrets.

That achievement isn't too hard anyways. The beetle boss lights whole rows on fire too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the funny thing about the flame mechs is looking around at the entire map in flames after you win and thinking "You're...welcome, citizens! Tally ho!"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This is a world where rising sea levels have clearly had an effect. Burning all the forests seems like a great move.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the funny thing about the flame mechs is looking around at the entire map in flames after you win and thinking "You're...welcome, citizens! Tally ho!"

It was especially lovely when I realized that setting cities on fire doesn't harm the grid. "It's just a controlled burn to clear away some old undergrowth so you can build better buildings, really."

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Yeah fire team is my favorite. I like the mantis pilot in the teleport mech though. The upgrades are pretty big for the team and the early game is rough. That mantis attack makes it so much easier.

furbat on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I was using the move 1 after turn guy in the teleport mech.

It was pretty value, lets you abuse the teleport a lot more effectively because you can then move out of the way of a lot of abilities.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for somebody to mod in a Drift Mech with two pilot slots and one weapon slot that starts with a blade.

• Options
    Shit, fire doesn't hurt cities?! That would have been nice to know.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I seem to have a psychological problem where I needlessly leave a mech on an environmental space in the second stage of the boss level. Did it with my amazing unaffected by webbing and smoke +1 reactor +2hp pilot. Sad panda.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    What's a good team for the "3 flying mechs" achievement? I tried 2x Jets and 1x Teleporter, but got wrecked because I just can't put out damage fast enough to handle incoming Zek and all three of them are so fragile that they can't sit on a spawn more than once.

Prospero in a different mech that is also flying does not count towards this achievement, sadly.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    What's a good team for the "3 flying mechs" achievement? I tried 2x Jets and 1x Teleporter, but got wrecked because I just can't put out damage fast enough to handle incoming Zek and all three of them are so fragile that they can't sit on a spawn more than once.

Prospero in a different mech that is also flying does not count towards this achievement, sadly.

You really want the pilot that replaces repair with a melee. I did it with three flying science mechs that way.

A shame Prospero doesnt count.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I can basically perfect Ye Olde Earth island every time now, but I'm struggling perfecting any of the others. Robits I usually just have one little thing go wrong every time, Detritus and RST waver between sorta close and beating the shit outta me.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Are you doing them in the same order?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Are you doing them in the same order?

I'm generally doing Old Earth first, and rotating around the rest for second. Haven't felt like putting in the time for longer runs.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Detritus is definitely the second easiest in almost all cases. Dealing with hostile robots spawning constantly or having to freeze dudes really just puts ice world as the worst option available.

Slight tip for ice world and ice team - you can freeze the robot factories and they stop pumping out robots - ice magic!

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    hush wrote: »
    Detritus is definitely the second easiest in almost all cases. Dealing with hostile robots spawning constantly or having to freeze dudes really just puts ice world as the worst option available.

Slight tip for ice world and ice team - you can freeze the robot factories and they stop pumping out robots - ice magic!

Ice team really is the best team. The prime is stupid good, the artillery is stupid good. The brute is... less so though. A bit hard to use - I swapped it out for the teleport mech from the flame team for hard mode.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    36 hours played. Still can't get distant friends :(

3 of the ice mech, with the one pilot that starts with a shield. Park the unshielded ones on spawn points and freeze dudes, then when the enemy spawns they break your ice and you're free to move. Got my hard win that way. :P

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I was doing tons of runs through easy to get achievements and new squads, finally tried a run on normal with the flame squad yesterday and pretty much breezed through it. I perfected all the islands except the ice world because the stupid protect and freeze robot mission featured the laser robots lining up in front of each other to also shoot the defense station. There was no way out other than to kill one of the robots which was annoying on the first turn.

edit: I do think this is a rare game where playing on easy is only beneficial to the player. You don't learn bad habits, you learn how everything works, what to expect out of the enemy units, and how your squad works best/most efficiently. Once you ramp up the difficulty, those skills still apply to more/smarter enemy units. It's very satisfying.

I spent a lot of time banging my head against normal at first, only to ace it on the first try after spending time winning on easy.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think that in principle, you're right, but the one time I played on "easy" (after getting smashed over and over on "normal"), I found that I almost never needed to think twice about a level. The correct - or correct-enough - course of action was immediately obvious in most cases, and it was really only the final boss-island after a 4-island run where I really needed to stop and think. Maybe two or three maps before that required me to slow down and/or use a restart.

By comparison, in "normal", almost every level requires me to think through multiple "what if like this?" scenarios. On "easy", I didn't need to reposition the Vek as much, while on "normal" I find that I need to do it as much as possible to maximize attacks-per-round/blocked burrows.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    What is the difference between Easy and Normal? I've only played on Normal so far.
    Are there more Vek on higher difficulty settings? Do they behave differently? Do you get bonuses on easy?

• Options
    As far as I can tell, there are fewer Vek-spawns-per-turn on "easy", and there were at least two Vek types that I never encountered on "easy" (they were the
    spiders that spawn tiny spiders and the burrowers who put up rocks in the unoccupied orthogonally-adjacent spaces and then attack the orthogonally-adjacent spaces
    )

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, there are fewer Vek-spawns-per-turn on "easy", and there were at least two Vek types that I never encountered on "easy" (they were the
    spiders that spawn tiny spiders and the burrowers who put up rocks in the unoccupied orthogonally-adjacent spaces and then attack the orthogonally-adjacent spaces
    )

I hate those second ones so much

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    )

I don't think I've seen that first one yet

• Options
    Ivar wrote: »
    )

I don't think I've seen that first one yet
    I've seen it one single time on either the third or fourth island when playing "normal".

Also I'm bad at this game, so I've only gotten to the third or fourth island when playing "normal" like... two times.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the spawners are the worst enemies. god they suck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen both those types on easy. They might be rarer, but they show up.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    cursedking wrote: »
    I was doing tons of runs through easy to get achievements and new squads, finally tried a run on normal with the flame squad yesterday and pretty much breezed through it. I perfected all the islands except the ice world because the stupid protect and freeze robot mission featured the laser robots lining up in front of each other to also shoot the defense station. There was no way out other than to kill one of the robots which was annoying on the first turn.

edit: I do think this is a rare game where playing on easy is only beneficial to the player. You don't learn bad habits, you learn how everything works, what to expect out of the enemy units, and how your squad works best/most efficiently. Once you ramp up the difficulty, those skills still apply to more/smarter enemy units. It's very satisfying.

I spent a lot of time banging my head against normal at first, only to ace it on the first try after spending time winning on easy.

Funnily enough, this was exactly the case with FTL as well. I spent like 20 hours dying in Normal, went and played an Easy run and won immediately, go back to Normal and won after two or three more tries. Never thought about it, but I guess creating good Easy modes is just as much of a skill as creating good Hard modes.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shout outs to burrowers while you're trying to suss out Steel Judoka. Rot in hell, dicks.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Shout outs to burrowers while you're trying to suss out Steel Judoka. Rot in hell, dicks.

The first rule of Fight Mech is... don't go to islands with Burrowers.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

Hey! Turns out I got the job done with 2x Jets and the Nano mech, using the pilot who's immune to smoke and webs. Being able to get the jets to do some appreciable damage in addition to a push was a godsend, and I picked up some secondary weapons (Grappling Hook and the 1-bomb airstrike) that let me move enemies around. Making strategic start placements to lure scorpions and leapers into going after the un-webbable pilot was good to make them waste their first turn.

I still only did a two-island completion with them, because I know when not to push my luck. Most battlefields were just littered with smoke and not a lot of kills were made, except for the final battle.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    36 hours played. Still can't get distant friends :(

3 of the ice mech, with the one pilot that starts with a shield. Park the unshielded ones on spawn points and freeze dudes, then when the enemy spawns they break your ice and you're free to move. Got my hard win that way. :P

I had no idea the Cryo mech was flying, even after playing a run or two with the Ice Team.

Inspired by this post I made a team with two Cryo mechs and one swap mech (with the anti-webbing pilot; not necessary though) and froze everyone and blocked spawns for a successful 2-Island run (RST and Detritus) and the flying mech achievement. Thanks for the tip; that would never have occurred to me.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like to think when I leave a pilot behind in a timeline they get to go on being a hero in that timeline. Farewell Penny, you saved the world 3 times over as a regular old Zenith citizen mech pilot.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    FLAME BEHEMOTHS ARE SO FUN YOU GUYS

I had a map that was so on fire by the end that a burrower just chose not to attack on the last turn because he couldn't find a place to surface near anything that wasn't on fire already. I found the 5-tile fire artillery on the island before, so I've been making use of it.

Fun fact learned the hard way, though: Terraformers and disposal units? Not immune to fire damage. :(

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    FLAME BEHEMOTHS ARE SO FUN YOU GUYS

I had a map that was so on fire by the end that a burrower just chose not to attack on the last turn because he couldn't find a place to surface near anything that wasn't on fire already. I found the 5-tile fire artillery on the island before, so I've been making use of it.

Fun fact learned the hard way, though: Terraformers and disposal units? Not immune to fire damage. :(

I think everyone learns that one the hard way.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    It's fitting that this game uses time travel as a plot device, because time sure as hell flies when you're playing.

I've not progressed as far as you guys - three islands cleared and Blitzkrieg unlocked - but sweet baby jeebus it's challenging and fun.

My only complaint is that it's seriously getting in the way of my Witcher III time.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Getting back into this after throwing time at another game, I've got the squads all unlocked now! Not particularly looking forward to gathering the remaining cheevobux to be able to poke that extra button that pops up.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Going to be tackling my first 'final mission' attempt with the base squad on 4 islands. The 3rd and 4th islands were pretty much jokes, so I'm hoping I've bulked up enough!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Just a quick FYI: if you lose all 3 of your mechs in phase 1 of the boss fight, but you lose your last mech on the last turn, and you still have grid power, all 3 mechs will drop down and you'll have them for phase 2, just with AI pilots.

And you can win that way, since I just did.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    All achievements get! Finally! Distant Friends was easily the most annoying.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Flame Behemoths feel awfully gimped by having their damage spread out via DoTs. It makes bonus objectives a lot more fiddly.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg