As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Pick a new pilot at the start of the run and they start from scratch.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    All unlocked pilots start from scratch unless they're the pilot you pulled from the last run, in which case they retain whatever they had before the restart.

It's a pretty dumb system, since trying any different pilot means you have to grind them back up to max every time you switch.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    All unlocked pilots start from scratch unless they're the pilot you pulled from the last run, in which case they retain whatever they had before the restart.

It's a pretty dumb system, since trying any different pilot means you have to grind them back up to max every time you switch.

But when they level up, do they always gain the same skills?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    No, skill gain is random, which means starting from the same base pilot can result in having a set of a useful skills or getting stuck with the crappy extra grid defense one. Aside from their inherent skills, that is; those are always the same.

Still, getting around that issue would be as simple as either taking out the pointless grid defense skill and giving every pilot all three other skills, or just letting the play reset a pilot if they want to try for a better skillset (or even better, let us just pick the skills we want). Making people re-grind a pilot every time they switch seems like a fairly pointless bit of padding.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    extra grid defense would have to be +10% to even be close to as valuable as +1 move or +2 hp or +1 reactor

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Bought this tonight, doing my first playthrough on Hard.

Almost done with the second island, and so far so good. But I can tell that when this game gets tired of toying with me, it will absolutely crush me.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    (or even better, let us just pick the skills we want)

I mean at that point you might as well just give every pilot +1 Reactor on each level up.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Throwing the mantis pilot into a flying science mech sort of negates the weaknesses of many of the teams. You turn your support mech into the highest damage dealer on your team at no cost in power.

I didn't realize he was that good when I first unlocked him.

furbat on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I had to wuss out of my Zenith Guard run and go for a 2 island win. WEBS. Oh my god, Vek spiders are a nightmare if they spawn and immediately web those mechs (even worse if it happens in smoke). Abe definitely rocks in the Mad Max buggy though, and I rather suspect Harold is insanely good in the Science mech, since it becomes a push/pull machine.

Steel Judoka is pretty hard to start out with, since you're really reliant on Vek positioning and order, and you only have 2 direct damage available to you at the start of the game. But I think I'm getting the hang of them; about 2 islands in and they're fairly comfortable to use now. The more Fireflies, the better.

I think the biggest thing I'm appreciating now is how important initial positioning is for getting good rounds (and by the same token, how important good map layout can be). Baiting the Vek into attacking a particular row or building, or making sure you are/aren't webbed immediately, can be the difference between turn 2 having 3 Vek on the map, or 6, especially with Judoka.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Just got my first win (I just went for a 2 island effort) and I owe it all to Rust Buckets.

Rust Buckets are... really, really good - especially when I bought the "Deploy Smoke once a battle" special. It seemed like the Vek kept lining up to be smothered in terrifying corrosive smoke from that point on.

I also kept forgetting that if a Vek was pushed into smoke at any point in the turn it's attack was cancelled.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    If you replace the science mech pilot with the mantis hero, steel judoka is a lot easier. It basically turns the science mech into a prime class mech with the gravity well power. Then once you get past the first island, you can upgrade the other mechs and start doing some damage.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Prime mech with judo flip won me my first game on Normal with the starting team. Never knew flipping was so much fun, moreso with a pilot that has the extra move after action

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Haha, the teleporter mech in flame behemoths is a ton of fun with full teleport range upgrades (also an achievement). So easy to put vek on spaces they'll get instagibbed.

Edit: Blew up my own pylons to win the final map :D.

Edit 2: Dammit, 30 coins earned and now it says there's something for all 55. Well, Flame Behemoths squad is complete, but... oof.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Mantis hero is just generally brokenly good. Slotting it into anything that doesn't start with a 2 damage attack, and it's essentially an upgrade.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Fuck me this is hard

Managed to clear island 1 on normal first try, with a single power grid left.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jesus the cryo team is hard; I feel like I've encountered way more unsolvable situations with them than any other group. You have to let the artillery eat at least one attack each round, either from you or an enemy, or you'll only be working with two mechs in future turns.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Jesus the cryo team is hard; I feel like I've encountered way more unsolvable situations with them than any other group. You have to let the artillery eat at least one attack each round, either from you or an enemy, or you'll only be working with two mechs in future turns.

Take the pilot who starts with a shield. As long as you keep that you can't be frozen.

• Options
    Holy shit what the fuck is up with the frozen island? I get a mission to freeze and save two robots. They spend the entire game shooting at each other in the most building crowded part of the map with mega death attacks making it impossible to freeze both of them as they were constantly unfreezing each other and killing buildings.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Holy shit what the fuck is up with the frozen island? I get a mission to freeze and save two robots. They spend the entire game shooting at each other in the most building crowded part of the map with mega death attacks making it impossible to freeze both of them as they were constantly unfreezing each other and killing buildings.

keeping the robots alive or freezing them are some of the hardest missions IMO, that and the train.

if you have any shield-generating powers, life gets a lot easier (the Zenith team is really good at those missions)

• Options

keeping the robots alive or freezing them are some of the hardest missions IMO, that and the train.

if you have any shield-generating powers, life gets a lot easier (the Zenith team is really good at those missions)

Ice is just as good, of course. The frozen titans can protect shit really well with that ice artillery if needed.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The teleporter mech is so good on the final mission.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

Any mission with environmental hazards really. The achievement is a spoiler for how to play that squad. Your upgrade priorities are +1 flamethrower range and max teleport range. That lets you reposition enemies into shit really easily. After that the 2 damage on the artillery is good, or using loot you find.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

I mean at that point you might as well just give every pilot +1 Reactor on each level up.

Except you can't double up on skills, so it's not like you could break the game with it. Any pilot that skills up to having grid defense and/or no +1 reactor is a throwaway anyway, you just have to waste time grinding it out after the pilot resets and hoping you don't get wasted skill slots again. So may as well let people pick the +1 reactor plus the extra HP or +1 move that they want, instead of padding things out in a dumb way if somebody wants to swap pilots.

There are some missions that are just not worth the effort. Saving the hostile robots is one of them (I just kill the robots rather than put up with them), and protecting the robot factories is up there as well (I don't even pick it). I don't bother with the train missions at all in the later stages, since you run the risk of encountering the bullshit enemies that spawn rocks everywhere and make the protection part insta-fail on the first move.

As for the "don't kill the volatile vek" mission, screw that, it's a stupid mission. Killing that thing first off is way safer than trying to babysit it around buildings while also killing its allies. Better a dead vek and no bonus, than risking multiple grid damage trying to preserve it.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Any mission with environmental hazards really. The achievement is a spoiler for how to play that squad. Your upgrade priorities are +1 flamethrower range and max teleport range. That lets you reposition enemies into shit really easily. After that the 2 damage on the artillery is good, or using loot you find.

Word, I've completed it 4 times but flame behemoths was the first one where I was chill on the end. Basically a clean board and almost full grid power throughout thanks to the teleporter.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Except you can't double up on skills, so it's not like you could break the game with it. Any pilot that skills up to having grid defense and/or no +1 reactor is a throwaway anyway, you just have to waste time grinding it out after the pilot resets and hoping you don't get wasted skill slots again. So may as well let people pick the +1 reactor plus the extra HP or +1 move that they want, instead of padding things out in a dumb way if somebody wants to swap pilots.

There are some missions that are just not worth the effort. Saving the hostile robots is one of them (I just kill the robots rather than put up with them), and protecting the robot factories is up there as well (I don't even pick it). I don't bother with the train missions at all in the later stages, since you run the risk of encountering the bullshit enemies that spawn rocks everywhere and make the protection part insta-fail on the first move.

As for the "don't kill the volatile vek" mission, screw that, it's a stupid mission. Killing that thing first off is way safer than trying to babysit it around buildings while also killing its allies. Better a dead vek and no bonus, than risking multiple grid damage trying to preserve it.

Volatile vek depends on the squad. There are a couple I'll do it with.

Naturally, one of them is Frozen Titans because ahaha that ice artillery makes it trivial. Really, it makes a LOT of missions much easier than normal.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am not very good at this game.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    One of the big turning points with the Frozen Titans is to position your artillery so that you get a free ice-break by absorbing enemy fire (or from the tank's backblast). A freeze every turn is so much more powerful than waiting to self repair.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Fun fact: you can freeze trains, stopping them from crashing into baddies AND preventing those baddies from harming them

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, your mission selection really depends on squad. Kill 7 Vek? Heck yes my hazard bots will jump right on that. Less than 4 damage? Nnnnnot so much.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I preffered not doing that damage on artillery for those moments when you need to bombard a city to reposition the vek

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm liking the second squad quite a lot. Getting the shield yourself upgrade on attack for the pusher mech is pretty amazing at mitigating damage.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I won my first game this morning! On normal, with the Laser/Ram/Shield mechs, which are just a strong team

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Me too. Either that or I'm just really unlucky. It feels like I'm always doing really well right up until I get one bad turn and then everything immediately goes to shit and I lose.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

Me too. Either that or I'm just really unlucky. It feels like I'm always doing really well right up until I get one bad turn and then everything immediately goes to shit and I lose.

My advice would be to slow down your play if you're finding this.

I once spent a good 20 minutes scrutinizing my options on a turn.

Turns out, the only way to save both renfield bombs was to sack my protection mech on turn one

I managed to not only get all of the optional objectives (it was a high threat mission), but also took no power grid damage

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Fun fact: you can freeze trains, stopping them from crashing into baddies AND preventing those baddies from harming them
    Do they still move while frozen?

"It's okay, we're encased in solid ice, but the wheels still turn!"

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Do they still move while frozen?

"It's okay, we're encased in solid ice, but the wheels still turn!"

They do not move. They do not even move if they have been unfrozen by an attack on the same turn, because freezing cancels all AI actions for the turn, even if they are unfrozen that turn.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm liking the second squad quite a lot. Getting the shield yourself upgrade on attack for the pusher mech is pretty amazing at mitigating damage.

Yes, that upgrade makes things so much easier - That mech then becomes great for rushing the Vek spawn area , sitting on a spawn point and pushing other Veks onto spawn points.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Im playing through as Team Vape (rusting buckets) and got smoke bombs on my push mech.

Flying mech can jump 2 squares dropping smoke...
    Push mech can now jump 3 and smoke em

I can blanket the board with smoke

Been nothing but perfects except an 'aw fuck off' terrible positioning with the protect robots objective where one moved into a corner next to a mantis that then webbed it in said corner

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bored at work, so I figured I'd watch some people playing this on twitch.
    This game is well frustrating to watch on twitch.
    Every time you see someone kill a bug that was going to get killed by fire damage anyway, or just move the enemies when they could easily have killed them all if they'd just pushed that one over there, punch that one over the breach, and...

And advice in chat is either too late to be helpful, or deleted because they don't want backseating (which is fair I guess, but still frustrating).

Which is now making me think of Twitch Plays Into the Breach. Could that be set up, and how terribly would it go if it could?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Im playing through as Team Vape (rusting buckets) and got smoke bombs on my push mech.

Flying mech can jump 2 squares dropping smoke...
    Push mech can now jump 3 and smoke em

I can blanket the board with smoke

Been nothing but perfects except an 'aw fuck off' terrible positioning with the protect robots objective where one moved into a corner next to a mantis that then webbed it in said corner

I had map where I had smoked half the board bar one space so of course the last vek goes to that space to attack a building and there's no way I can attack it.

Building resisted. Like a boss.