As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    how do you wear a suit and stay cool in 95 degree weather. is there a suit secret or do you just get really good at hiding how much it sucks

You're usually going to want to wear a very loosely knit suit. Linen is the go to usually.

Depending on why you're wearing the suit, the summer styles might not be agreeable (old guard, codgy types hate them for some reason).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    how do you wear a suit and stay cool in 95 degree weather. is there a suit secret or do you just get really good at hiding how much it sucks

Summer weight wool helps a lot.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Seersucker or linen. Otherwise, I think you just get good at "psh this heat is nothing" persona. I can only speak vicariously, though.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    YbJ9BtMl.jpg

I do what I can

This is the Look BEFORE the existential dread of having lost my wallet set in

Sweet hell, lady!
    *Heart eyes*

You done did a good look here, yup

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    LS that pic makes you look like someone working to take down a corrupt cyberpunk megacorp, and I wish you the best of luck.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hello, Major.

sig.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I was literally just thinking that, serious Kusinagi vibes off that look

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Seersucker or linen. Otherwise, I think you just get good at "psh this heat is nothing" persona. I can only speak vicariously, though.

are those fabrics work appropriate? I was under the impression that linen is strictly for casual suits, but I'm unfamiliar with seersucker

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

are those fabrics work appropriate? I was under the impression that linen is strictly for casual suits, but I'm unfamiliar with seersucker

In a work environment, the norm in hot climates is that the jacket is left in the office where it's air-conditioned.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Seersucker is probably less appropriate than linen for business stuff.

You'll probably have the most luck with summer cotton suit styles, since they look like the most business-like in their color and weave.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I need to figure out a linen suit soon, got an outdoor summer wedding coming up and I want to look fancy without literally melting.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    YbJ9BtMl.jpg

I do what I can

This is the Look BEFORE the existential dread of having lost my wallet set in

What's the title of your new album and when is it out?

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I need to figure out a linen suit soon, got an outdoor summer wedding coming up and I want to look fancy without literally melting.

I have one and a Texas indoor wedding in June still murdered me.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Beach wedding in October and the couple suggested all the gents be wearing purple shirts with grey vests.

1) That's gonna be rather warm
    2) We're not stage magicians from the 90s.

...so I'm working out some of those details.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Beach wedding in October and the couple suggested all the gents be wearing purple shirts with grey vests.

Maybe "stage magic from the 90s" is their theme.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I was at a wedding over the weekend and actually did get very specifically into the idea of being married by a magician

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Do you have the rings?

No? are you sure?

Have you looked ... behind your ears?!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Exactly.

The specific instance that inspired this was that the wedding I was at was a mixed faiths wedding, which resulted in a funny moment in which the rabbi assured the Christian groom that he could check and make sure that the glass was real if he wanted.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Maybe "stage magic from the 90s" is their theme.

I'm officiating this particular shindig so I'm confident that it's not going to be magic focused. I will, however, spend a good deal of time equating the act of marriage and the feeling of love to beer.

Also there will be a horse.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Okay if there's a horse it's 100% a magic focused wedding

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Okay if there's a horse it's 100% a magic focused wedding

What colour(s) deck would that be? Will there be Plane Swalkers? Is Zippotricks McEdgelord in attendance?!

I know nothing about MtG other than passing comments from LRR people.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Horses have been printed in all 5 colors (and even colorless in the form of artifact creatures) but are most commonly found in white and black

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Horses have been printed in all 5 colors (and even colorless in the form of artifact creatures) but are most commonly found in white and black

I'd have guessed green or red, personally, but I suppose I underestimate the number of undead and/or angelic equine.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I bet it's because of the association with knights, which are mostly white and black.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I'd have guessed green or red, personally, but I suppose I underestimate the number of undead and/or angelic equine.

I would imagine the fact that horses are domestic and often employed by military, is what puts them into white. Green is typically more wild animals, I feel

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Mtg in the fashion thread just feels right.

White knight and black knight were one of my favorite cross color pairings. (That's how old I am).

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Can a fairly pale, thin male pull of a monochrome or minimal colors wardrobe, or at least black pants and gray shirts? With red shoes and the occasional red shirt?

Allegedly, yeah, I can.

I'd mix in something with a pattern sometimes but yes.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Can a fairly pale, thin male pull of a monochrome or minimal colors wardrobe, or at least black pants and gray shirts? With red shoes and the occasional red shirt?

Depends on coloring. I can't very well with warm tones and reddish hair, but black hair - definitely

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Finished moving in to the new place. Organized the new closet by blackness and was actually impressed by my near complete commitment to monochromality.

z23j50h58hv0.jpg

I should just note that I am not particularly skinny, but I don't think that makes a huge difference in going monochrome, honestly.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i don't quite have the grasp/vocabulary for it, but pale isn't so much of the decider as your skin undertones and other colorations are

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Yeah pale doesn't actually mean that much, honestly.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How does a human go about working out what colours suit them, anyway?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    go to a paint store and stand next to all the swatches

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

Photoshop your face onto every Space Marine chapter heraldry and pick the one that looks the best

• schussschuss Registered User regular

In my case, have your wife take you to a store and show you the yes, maybes and nos for my skin/eyes/hair.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    One of my daydreams about what I would do if I were rich would be to hire someone to tell me what to wear and how to style my hair everyday.

I really need new clothes especially as everyone dresses so smartly at work but I don’t even know where to start.

I also don’t know what even suits me, I hate my body and feel uncomfortable in everything that isn’t oversized tops and leggings (and those are NOT work appropriate here!).

I don’t even know how to copy plus size fashion, I do see people who are bigger than me who look amazing but I don’t know how to go about it myself.

tynic wrote: »
    go to a paint store and stand next to all the swatches

If I do that my chameleonic reflex instinctively kicks in and I just get fabulous.