As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
Just realized the other thread died of old age.

Go on, talk about movies. Like that one with the guys who do the thing.

That one was good.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Film Crit Hulk did a very great article on Annihilation that I highly recommend reading if you've seen the film (warning though, it has talk of mental illness and suicide)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Just saw an ad that described Ready Player One as "a world of pure imagination"

Even its taglines are ripoffs of better stories

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

Ready Player One
    40 Stories of Sheer Adventure!

minor incident on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I think it'd be pretty hilarious if each one of Ready Player One's taglines was cribbed from a different movie.

• Options

I think it'd be pretty hilarious if each one of Ready Player One's taglines was cribbed from a different movie.

In which ways would it be hilarious for a movie with no original ideas to sell tickets with unoriginal ideas

• Options
    Let us dissect this frog

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Or, we could speculate what the next stolen tagline will be!

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Or, we could speculate what the next stolen tagline will be!

Already done, get with the program, man. Keep this joke train rollin'.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    "Forget everything you know, and open your eyes."
    "The dream is real"
    "Boot Up or Shut Up!"
    "Get ready for the ride of your life."

ooh
    "In the future video game battles will be a matter of life or death."

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You die in the game, you die for real

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    "Forget everything you know, and open your eyes."
    "The dream is real"
    "Boot Up or Shut Up!"
    "Get ready for the ride of your life."

ooh
    "In the future video game battles will be a matter of life or death."

"In his wildest dreams, Alex never suspected that tonight he would become... the Last Starfighter."

Whatever, just use it as-is.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

they've been using the song in trailers, too, I'm pretty sure

• Options

That's a move that takes some brass balls.

And poor taste.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Continuing from the last thread, for you to consider a movie a "heist film" does the heist have to be carried out by the protagonist or can it be any film involving a heist?

Do you consider Die Hard a heist film? Snatch? The first RDJ Sherlock Holmes film? The Great Muppet Caper? Hackers?

I only ask because it seems the main character of the Hurricane Heist is trying to stop the theft, not partake in it.

Also I'm a little disappointed they aren't stealing the hurricane.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Heist film, but also a Colverfield.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    What if the hurricane is trying to steal the money

• Options
    I think Sherlock Holmes had a lot of the typical heist film trappings. The incomplete POV, the flashbacks explaining the withheld details, etc. But I wouldn't call something a heist film unless the protagonists are the ones heisting.

So, pressing question: Reservoir Dogs a heist film?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    What if the hurricane is trying to steal the money

On the run from the heat in his old Atlantic neighborhood, a down on his luck tropical storm needs one last score to make it big in Miami...The Hurricane Heist

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    They're still making movies, huh?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    nah

all modern movies are just cobbled together from out-takes of older films

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

you reference Willy Wonka you better fucking earn it

these douchebags haven't earned it

my jimmies, they are rustled

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    nah

all modern movies are just cobbled together from out-takes of older films

Like Anchorman 1.5?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i just wanted to state, for the record, i never liked movies and you can never prove otherwise

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i just wanted to state, for the record, i never liked movies and you can never prove otherwise

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there's evidence to the contrary.

• Options

bullshit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

bullshit

i have photos

pay me twenty thousand dollars and they'll never be released

• Options

bullshit

Damnit. You've thought of everything.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

bullshit

i have photos

pay me twenty thousand dollars and they'll never be released

do it, you coward

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Folks, would watching Annihilation drunk add to or detract from the experience?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Folks, would watching Annihilation drunk add to or detract from the experience?

Detract, in all likelihood.

I saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Pretty good, original sci-fi with a nice amount of horror to it, and some great visuals. And just enough in the way of important details that I want to see it again to confirm or deny certain possibilities.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just wanna reiterate Game Night might be my favorite theatrical comedy I've seen since Popstar

It's a pitch perfect style parody of David Fincher (and The Game in particular of course), as well as showing some clear Edgar Wright influence

It's really very, very good and I cannot overstate how much Jesse Plemons damn near runs away with the entire movie, plus it's always nice to see Lamorne Morris

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Jesse Plemons damn near runs away with everything he's in.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Yeah, the latest trailer uses the song.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah, the latest trailer uses the song.

Couldn't they just stick to Mad World, or some sadboy cover of a famous pop song?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Sadboy and sadgirl covers suck ass. I demand amped up covers instead. Give me a thrash version of I'm A Believer, please.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sadboy and sadgirl covers suck ass. I demand amped up covers instead. Give me a thrash version of I'm A Believer, please.

Smashmouth already got your back on that one

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Something that bugs me a tiny bit about Logan Lucky
    Having Hilary Swank show up in the bar at the end makes it feel less like the end of a movie and more like the first season finale of a TV show that’s trying to set up season 2.

And yes I realize the film version of this is called a sequel, but this film was good by itself and doesn’t need a sequel.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I'm trying to work my way through the Oscar nominations for best picture. My local theater basically has them running on one screen so it's a bit of a hassle trying to see what I missed.

I do have to say that I'm kind of amazed that "I, Tonya" wasn't nominated. It really beats out everything for me so far. Without thinking of the list, I think I only have "The Shape of Water" and "3 Billboards" left.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    1dj94i4dxqt5.png

This could be pretty good (pic is link)

The graphic novel aint bad, but it looks like Mads Mikkelsen is the lead

And Mads Mikkelsen as a John Wick-esque veteran assassin? Hell the fuck yes

Solar on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Something that bugs me a tiny bit about Logan Lucky
    Having Hilary Swank show up in the bar at the end makes it feel less like the end of a movie and more like the first season finale of a TV show that’s trying to set up season 2.

And yes I realize the film version of this is called a sequel, but this film was good by itself and doesn’t need a sequel.
    I can see that, but it works as a kind of open ended thing.

The master stroke being not the heist itself but the lying low was fantastic in any case.

This discussion has been closed.