Options

Saturday morning cartoons are just about dead...

167891012»

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I haven't read all 18 pages, so I'm not sure if someone mentioned it, but the Men in Black cartoon on Kids WB was AWESOME.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any of you guys ever watch this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummies_Alive
    Haven't seen it in ages but I remember it being good

The Iron Chancellor on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah... the dude with the golden arm was cool.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Novid wrote: »
    BlackDog85 wrote: »
    There certainly are solid cartoons out there today, both comedy-styled ones (i.e. Billy and Mandy, Fairly Oddparents), and action shows (Avatar, Teen Titans (even if you didn't like the anime-ish drawing style), Kim Possible).

The problem is that an increasing number of quality cartoons are no longer aimed at a younger audience. I'm not saying "they should kiddy-ize them more!", I mean that higher quality animation, due to it no longer airing on Saturday mornings, is now harder for young children to find and enjoy, and, in my eyes, that's a problem.

While we all grew up with plenty of shit cartoons, I know that, as someone born in 1985, my cartoon-ing years went well into the mid-90's, where I saw some very, very good shows, ranging from Batman: TAS, to the Steven Spielberg WB cartoons (i.e. Animaniacs, Freakazoid, et. al.), to Sonic (the Saturday morning one from ABC), to Mighty Max, to ReBoot, to Beast Wars, to most of the Disney Afternoon, Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, etc. etc. etc. etc.

These shows were at my fingertips; they weren't all stuck on cable, which is STILL not something everyone has, and they were on at accessible hours.

Also, a lot of these shows had something that many cartoons, outside of some examples (i.e. Avatar), today seem to lack: a simple desire for story-telling. That is a HUGE factor that's missing in a lot of kids' lives these days, as parents read to their kids less and less, and as these TV shows start waning more and more in actual content.

I'm not saying shows like the Gummi Bears or Mighty Max told the deepest, most resonant stories imaginable or anything like that; hell, they weren't supposed to. A lot of these shows were meant to appeal to the 7-12 demo, not to us and our educated tastes. But rather than focusing merely on morals or what have you, there was an actual attempt, at least an attempt, to move a plot from Point A, to Point B, to the climax and back. Some episodes would give us character development, some would advance over-arching plot points that carried over the whole series, etc.

A lot of shows are more moral/lesson driven, it feels, nowadays, which likely has to do with the rise of this "E/I" edict from the FCC. Again, to me, that's a disservice to children. Certainly, there should be educational shows (I'm sure most of us were perfectly happy with Sesame Street growing up), but kids really gain so much from learning at least the basics of storytelling at a young age, and having their imaginations stimulated and challenged.

As for the old shows, there's always YouTube, I 'spose.

Side note: the boxset of the Saturday morning Sonic cartoon is a lot of fun. The show holds up pretty decently, though you kind of walk away feeling like "Good stuff, especially for a kid's cartoon show...but, oh, what could have been with another season or two." A lot of untapped potential there.

I just had to add something though...

Disney made a billion dollar franchise over a Theme Park Attraction...If they gave that same amount attention to there first created IP in 60 years (Gargoyles)...the sky would have been the limit.

Sadly, that's just not how most companies want to view animation anymore, and they haven't for a long time. Cartoons mostly exist for them as a way to create marketing possibilities usually limited to toy lines and maybe video games.

I wouldn't expect Disney to pump as much into Gargoyles as they would into Pirates, given that Pirates, as a brand name, has more exposure to the public at large via the attraction than Gargoyles did. That said, I do agree, when you have a popular IP that has serious dramatic/storytelling potential, its just such a waste to see it underdeveloped.

Hell, it still annoys me when I realize that Sega basically put the kibash on Sonic animators using any more of the "SatAM" characters or ideas, and instead insisted that everything follow the (awful) games and the Sonic X anime.

I mean, really...not a fanboy argument here or anything like that, but I've seen some of Sonic X. It's atrocious. Christ, the old Dr. Robotnik (voiced by Jim Cummings) scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, but Naka just clearly had so many better ideas. :roll:

But that's just part of my point: the idea of presenting kids with honest-to-God storytelling, even raw, somewhat "bare bones" storytelling, has taken SUCH a backseat in recent times that they might as well not even try.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A lot of the new cartoons that are on now just seem so different and in some cases just damn weird compared to the cartoons I watched as a kid. My Saturday morning cartoon time was the one thing that I always looked forward to every week as that is when all of the best shows were on, and they would run all through Saturday until around 3:00pm.

My Saturday mornings usually consisted of (these are all spread over my childhood):
    Pirates of Dark Water
    Super Mario World Cartoon
    The Real Ghost Busters Cartoon (still awesome to this day)
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Beetlejuice
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    The always classic Loony Toons
    Whatever X-Men cartoon they had on over the years (they seemed to change every month for some reason)
    Beast Wars
    ReBoot
    Transformers
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    The Super Mario Brothers Super Show (Well excuuuuse me princess)

There is also a whole list of classic cartoons here (ah YTV, the channel that entertained me through my youth): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YTV_%28TV_channel%29#Past

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Going way back, I was a big fan of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and Bravestarr.

Saturday morning cartoons aside, I was also a big fan of a French series whose title I can't recall off the top of my head, that told its story from the perspective of red blood cells in the human body; everything from infections to heart problems. Cartoon + biology = my kid self glued to the screen every time it came up.

Glal on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Power Rangers, anyone remember that? Of course you do, it has been one of the most fundamental pillars of childhood since it's creation. Fake karate and random unsubtle ass kickery, what more could you want in childrens programing? Of course, the thing is that when we look back we think it was the best, and when we look at it now, we think: "Oh man, these power rangers suck, the ones I watched were way cooler." And the funny thing is, it's always the same, just with different mechs.

Oh and BAtman:TAS FTW.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Power Rangers, anyone remember that? Of course you do, it has been one of the most fundamental pillars of childhood since it's creation. Fake karate and random unsubtle ass kickery, what more could you want in childrens programing? Of course, the thing is that when we look back we think it was the best, and when we look at it now, we think: "Oh man, these power rangers suck, the ones I watched were way cooler." And the funny thing is, it's always the same, just with different mechs.

Well, yeah, we know that; it was a hype machine basically all of us got suckered into when we were 8-10 years old.

Point is, on an "all around" basis, there's still a dramatic drop-off in quality for childrens' programming now compared to ten, twenty years ago.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, yeah, we know that; it was a hype machine basically all of us got suckered into when we were 8-10 years old.

Point is, on an "all around" basis, there's still a dramatic drop-off in quality for childrens' programming now compared to ten, twenty years ago.

That is because you grew older and never rewatched half the stuff from 20 years ago. On an all around basis, the quality for childrens' programming has always sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Something I noticed with Nickelodeon, and older cartoons in general, is how adult kids show's were when I was growing up.

Stuff like Pete & Pete made constant references to things children had no way of comprehending, does it seem to any one else kid's shows used to have a more "adult sense of humor" in the 90's? Maybe I'm crazy, I can't think of that many other shows off the top of my head but watching Nickelodeon these days makes me wonder. Everything on there now is so juvenile compared to when I was a kid.

Or so it seems.

You are not imagining this. This is the reason that myself and most of my friends continued watching cartoons well into high school (which is where I was during the early-mid 90's) a number of those cartoons had a certain adult sensibility, and dropping a joke here and there that was "just for adults" made the cartoons seem really intelligent and appealing, despite the fact that in hindsight they were actually pretty fucking dumb (I'm looking at you, Animaniacs).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Power Rangers.... ...when we look back we think it was the best

What?

I'm pretty sure everyone was fully aware of how insanely cheesy and stupid it was when I was a kid.

I mean, fuck, Beetle Borgs came out for a reason.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

That is because you grew older and never rewatched half the stuff from 20 years ago. On an all around basis, the quality for childrens' programming has always sucked.

We've already discussed that in this thread, and I don't totally buy it as a reason.

There are ALWAYS going to be childrens' shows/cartoons that are pure shit, but we're discussing aspects of those shows that seem to be missing more and more today.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One thing I've definately noticed is that Saturday morning cartoons as a specific programming block seem to be falling to the wayside. Whenever I've gotten up early to see what is on the networks at that time, all I generally find is a few pre-school shows(things like Dora, Diego, Dragon Tales, etc), some sports, and not much else. It does strike me as rather sad that something that used to be such a universal part of the childhood experience is now nearly extinct.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    One thing I've definately noticed is that Saturday morning cartoons as a specific programming block seem to be falling to the wayside. Whenever I've gotten up early to see what is on the networks at that time, all I generally find is a few pre-school shows(things like Dora, Diego, Dragon Tales, etc), some sports, and not much else. It does strike me as rather sad that something that used to be such a universal part of the childhood experience is now nearly extinct.

The CW stations still show a block of cartoons on Saturdays.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

What?

I'm pretty sure everyone was fully aware of how insanely cheesy and stupid it was when I was a kid.

I loved Beetle Borgs.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sneezer wrote: »
    *ahem* Dogtanian anyone?

I know it's a little late, but Dogtanian was like my favorite show ever.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pata wrote: »

What?

I loved Beetle Borgs.

It had the Ghost of Jay Leno as a main character.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

The CW stations still show a block of cartoons on Saturdays.

Even so, it's still pretty grim that the big three networks(ABC, CBS and NBC) have all but abandoned it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

What?

Of course it was cheesy and stupid, but most of us stopped watching it altogether after we outgrew it. Leaving us with the memory of how awesome we thought it was. The point is we dont remember, and sometimes we dont even notice, the flaws of all the things we loved watching as a kid. Hell I was a freak for all things related to superheroes. I liked some pretty shitty superhero movies as a kid. I was pretty messed up. D:

Children don't really have eyes for quality, and once we outgrow all of the shows we loved we usually dont rewatch them, we just remember how cool we thought those shows were. I mean childrens programming has always sucked for the most part. And yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part saturday morning cartoons were just 30 minute long commercials for toys. Still are, except now instead of toys, it's trading cards.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Something I noticed with Nickelodeon, and older cartoons in general, is how adult kids show's were when I was growing up.

Stuff like Pete & Pete made constant references to things children had no way of comprehending, does it seem to any one else kid's shows used to have a more "adult sense of humor" in the 90's? Maybe I'm crazy, I can't think of that many other shows off the top of my head but watching Nickelodeon these days makes me wonder. Everything on there now is so juvenile compared to when I was a kid.

Or so it seems.

You are not imagining this. This is the reason that myself and most of my friends continued watching cartoons well into high school (which is where I was during the early-mid 90's) a number of those cartoons had a certain adult sensibility, and dropping a joke here and there that was "just for adults" made the cartoons seem really intelligent and appealing, despite the fact that in hindsight they were actually pretty fucking dumb (I'm looking at you, Animaniacs).

I dunno... my wife and I picked up volume 1 of Animaniacs a few weeks back, and yes, there is some juvenile stupidity there, but there are still moments of pure genius. And no matter how old I get, Chicken Boo will always crack me up.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did anyone else think it was cheap for WB to put Spielberg's name on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs? I mean, he didn't even do anything except have his name put on it. Cool thing about it was that the producers knew this and constantly joked about it.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did anyone else think it was cheap for WB to put Spielberg's name on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs? I mean, he didn't even do anything except have his name put on it. Cool thing about it was that the producers knew this and constantly joked about it.

Watching the Animaniacs DVD, I get the impression that Spielberg was actually very involved.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

What?

Of course it was cheesy and stupid, but most of us stopped watching it altogether after we outgrew it. Leaving us with the memory of how awesome we thought it was. The point is we dont remember, and sometimes we dont even notice, the flaws of all the things we loved watching as a kid. Hell I was a freak for all things related to superheroes. I liked some pretty shitty superhero movies as a kid. I was pretty messed up. D:

Children don't really have eyes for quality, and once we outgrow all of the shows we loved we usually dont rewatch them, we just remember how cool we thought those shows were. I mean childrens programming has always sucked for the most part. And yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part saturday morning cartoons were just 30 minute long commercials for toys. Still are, except now instead of toys, it's trading cards.

Or bad videogames.

But yeah, I've watched 1980s shows. They're just as bad as the stuff out now.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What?

No.

I mean, as kids, -while we were watching it-, we knew how lame it was. It's just that it was what was on, and it involved ass-kicking, however badly coreographed.

Hell, when I started high school, I had just found the "sweet spot" in the house where we could (barely) get Fox and CBS, where I had only ever had access to ABC and NBC in all the years before.

I watched Beetle Borgs and Power Rangers and whatever other absolute crap they put on, every day.

I was -quite- aware of how stupid it was, but it was what was on, and it was still fucktons better than watching golf or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, if you want to get technical, the fights in Power Rangers and Beetleborgs were actually redubbed scenes, but then that's just getting way too deep into details.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Well, if you want to get technical, the fights in Power Rangers and Beetleborgs were actually redubbed scenes, but then that's just getting way too deep into details.

It amused me quite a bit when I found out that the Japanese yellow ranger, who was actually the person in all the fight scenes, was a guy.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Watching the Animaniacs DVD, I get the impression that Spielberg was actually very involved.

How so? I remember an interview where Tom Ruegger said that he pitched the show himself and the characters were based on his three kids. Spielberg basically came over once in a while to make a small suggestion, and he wasn't very involved in it. Tiny Toons and Animaniacs always joked about it, and I think Freakazoid did in one episode.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Niceguyeddie616 wrote:

How so? I read an interview with Tom Ruegger that said the Animaniacs were pitched by him and were based on his three kids. Spielberg came over once in a while and made a small suggestion, but that was about it.

I don't remember much specifically, aside from him being responsible for the decision to put an original song in every episode and the role he played in casting.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Niceguyeddie616 wrote:

How so? I read an interview with Tom Ruegger that said the Animaniacs were pitched by him and were based on his three kids. Spielberg came over once in a while and made a small suggestion, but that was about it.

I don't remember much specifically, aside from him being responsible for the decision to put an original song in every episode and the role he played in casting.

Well, the animators give me the impression that he had little if anything to do with it at all. Otherwise there'd be no reason to put things like this into the show,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLrjVnMO7k

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Niceguyeddie616 wrote:

Well, the animators give me the impression that he had little if anything to do with it at all. Otherwise there'd be no reason to put things like this into the show,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLrjVnMO7k

Uhmm... because it's funny to go against audience expectations and not portray the truth?

Wiki says Steven was responsible for making Freakazoid into a comedy rather than action program as well, so there's no questioning the influence he had on that show.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »

Or so it seems.

I dunno... my wife and I picked up volume 1 of Animaniacs a few weeks back, and yes, there is some juvenile stupidity there, but there are still moments of pure genius. And no matter how old I get, Chicken Boo will always crack me up.

"You wear a disguise to look like human guys. But you're not a man, you're a Chicken Boo."

How so? I remember an interview where Tom Ruegger said that he pitched the show himself and the characters were based on his three kids. Spielberg basically came over once in a while to make a small suggestion, and he wasn't very involved in it. Tiny Toons and Animaniacs always joked about it, and I think Freakazoid did in one episode.

Here's the Freakazoid one.

Edit: Beat'd

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Batman: The Animated Series is the best thing that has ever happened to kids television.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    space_satanspace_satan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    can someone help me out here...there was a cartoon that used to come on...it was called like...neds newt...and it had way to many adult references in it. but that show was classic...but anyway. did it exist or am i crazy

space_satan on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ned's Newt did exist, and I remember watching it - it really was quite funny.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]