Options

Saturday morning cartoons are just about dead...

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    Old (90s) Spidey cartoon was cool. And beast-wars. That one, surprisingly, had plot.

Beast Wars is the only Transformer series that holds up today, even if the 3D is primitive.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    muninn wrote: »
    Old (90s) Spidey cartoon was cool. And beast-wars. That one, surprisingly, had plot.

Beast Wars is the only Transformer series that holds up today, even if the 3D is primitive.

The whole Dinobot thing actually made some water come out of my eyes. :(

tyrannus on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Fairly Oddparents is a great show but all the cartoons you have named are not over the air.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some of my favorite cartoons, Saturday morning and then some - The 90's were good to me.

lazertag.jpg
    silverhawks.jpg
    Exosquad.jpg
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    When was the last time you watched an episode of this show?

Captain Nintendo says: "Oh noes!"
    4462571824746670.jpg

Look, it's not the fucking point about how we view the shows now. It's about how we viewed them as a kid. Saturday morning, and weekdays (the famous 4-6 slot) of cartoon shows dominated my childhood. If all I can muster is disdain for my favorite childhood shows as an adult, then i'll just avoid watching them. I prefer to keep my childhood reverance of those shows intact, rather than discard them out of willful contempt.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I once watched part of an episode of the Bratz show...

It took them three hours to talk me off the ledge.

Anyhow, Disney made some excellent programs in the early-mid 90s. Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Gargoyles... Though I suppose those were all on weekdays in the early afternoon.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I mentioned this in the anime thread, but One Piece was clearly meant for an older audience. It's currently getting redubbed by Funimation for a TV-PG rating this time rather than TV-Y7, and they told us it's going to have dialouge close to the original version.

I also heard that 4kids horribly mangled that show worse than they did Yu-Gi-Oh

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I watched the first season of Transformers on DVD while at a friends for New Year's.

It was awful. A soulless abomination unto the world. I'm confident the bulk of our childhood programming is complete and utter ass.

Not everything is crap. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I've found some shows still hold up and are indeed of quality:

-Animaniacs
    -Freakazoid (Warner Bros. in general put out a lot of quality stuff in the mid-90s)
    -Batman: TAS
    -Reboot (I actually disliked this series as a kid, but watched a good chunk of it in 2006 and was saddened by how superior its animation was to a lot of MOVIES coming out these days)
    -Gargoyles (I actually haven't seen this in a while, but I recall it holding up)

I can't recall any shows from the 80s that wouldn;t embarrass me today. Sorry, G.I. Joe, Thundercats and others of your ilk: I'd never willingly expose a child to any of you.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here, I mention The Tick.

and I'm out.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EXO-Squad needs more love.

That, and The Adventures of Conan.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, a lot of late-80s early-90s animated programming was shameless toy promoting. TMNT and He-Man probably being the biggest offenders. At least they were entertaining, however I don't think TMNT ages well :S

I bought the Gargoyles first season last year, and I totally forgot how nobody ever got punched in the face. I think the most violence was when Eliza accidently got shot by Broadway, and there was even blood! I can feel the awkward squrim of the censors there.

Batman still amazes me however. Man that show was awesome.

I think my most-missed cartoon is Eek The Cat however, God damn I loved that show. Especially the rock opera episode, "Braaave Elmo!"

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Most of Cartoon Network cartoons can hardly compare to the cartoons of the 80's and early 90's.

truth!

that was the final hoorah for cartoons. By and by, as soon as the cartoon network was launched, it was pretty much down hill. At first you could watch all the good oldies any time you wanted. Then they developed their own shows. By that point the WB resurgence of the early 90's was on its death bead and the rise of Pokeyugimon was at hand.
    The only reason things like Adult Swim do so well is because they are catering to a demographic that grew up eating a sugary breakfast on the living room couch every saturday morning. Now those same kids sit around on saturday/sunday night with a bowl of ... well lets just say its not capn crunch.

Duck Tales, GI Joe, Smurfs, Inspector Gadget, He-Man, Thundercats... we miss you and wish you would return. :(

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    area wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    There are some good cartoons still around. People have already mentioned Avatar, and the new TMNT cartoon kicks ass, and Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents are really good.

I love both Avatar and Fairly Oddparents. When's Avatar Season 3 being aired? I've not heard anything about it.

Fairly OddParents has been picked up again by Nick for another 20 episodes after being cancelled for a year or so, in case anyone didn't know. Which is excellent news.

did they replace Cosmos voice actor towards the end there? It just sounds so different and the show isnt the same.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I like The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Its a pretty good show and funny to boot as well.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Only if it's back to back with Pirates of Dark Water.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Only if it's back to back with Pirates of Dark Water.

Well duh....

hi5

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For a while, MTV was cranking out some half decent shows.

maxx1.jpg

Now they crank out the suck.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I once watched part of an episode of the Bratz show...

It took them three hours to talk me off the ledge.

Anyhow, Disney made some excellent programs in the early-mid 90s. Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Gargoyles... Though I suppose those were all on weekdays in the early afternoon.

Darkwing Duck. Loved that show.

I remember when I was little, maybe 4 yrs old, getting up and watching reruns of the old Transformers cartoon before I went to the babysitter's.
    Lately, I can't enjoy any cartoon made after about 1999.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't agree with the blaming of Anime for the downfall of cartoons. If NA cartoons would compete instead of just dying and not evolving then Saturday morning cartoons would still exist. Instead they kept the same standard and only a few have survived. Blame the animation studios for giving up easily.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't agree with the blaming of Anime for the downfall of cartoons. If NA cartoons would compete instead of just dying and not evolving then Saturday morning cartoons would still exist. Instead they kept the same standard and only a few have survived. Blame the animation studios for giving up easily.

But isn't it much cheaper to localize anime? How can American animation compete with those prices?!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Saturday morning cartoons did change with the times. It went from crappy action shows with horrible animation to mostly nonviolent shows with bad animation to action shows with decent animation. Saturday morning cartoons died out because cable TV allowed shows with better animation to be produced.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No love for Danger Mouse? Blasphemy!

Anybody remember the Alf cartoon? Bananaman, maybe? At least I saw some love for the Ghostbusters.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder what everyone's opinions would be if they watched Transformers and GI-Joe today for the first time. Would we still be "this is the pinnacle of cartoons", or would we say "my god this is awful". I'm going to go for the latter on this one.

I don't know who said they were watching Transformers on New Years but they were right...those shows from way back when are not the same today. I watch them and think "man I remember this episode. I was at my aunt's house when i first saw it", rather than "the story is really developing and Optimus' humor is really edgy". I love Transformers, but the only things that I can still watch are the Movie and Beast Wars.

Oh, and Fairly Odd Parents and Fosters aren't too terrible. I have to watch them twice a week when I'm at the hospital and I find myself watching those shows, instead of doing crafts with kids like I'm supposed to be.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bedigumx wrote: »
    I wonder what everyone's opinions would be if they watched Transformers and GI-Joe today for the first time. Would we still be "this is the pinnacle of cartoons", or would we say "my god this is awful". I'm going to go for the latter on this one.

I don't know who said they were watching Transformers on New Years but they were right...those shows from way back when are not the same today. I watch them and think "man I remember this episode. I was at my aunt's house when i first saw it", rather than "the story is really developing and Optimus' humor is really edgy". I love Transformers, but the only things that I can still watch are the Movie and Beast Wars.

Oh, and Fairly Odd Parents and Fosters aren't too terrible. I have to watch them twice a week when I'm at the hospital and I find myself watching those shows, instead of doing crafts with kids like I'm supposed to be.

Watched a clip of He-Man a few months back..... sucked. D:

I bought the first Danger Mouse DVD set; I must say it's still pretty damn funny. I wasn't aware it had so much adult humor. Which makes sense, I was a kid the last time I watched it.

Ghostbusters still stands up pretty well.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

But isn't it much cheaper to localize anime? How can American animation compete with those prices?!

They're all sent to the same Korea to be animated...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No love for Ren and Stimpy? :whistle: It's log, it's log, it's better than bad it's good!:whistle:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    Well, one thing you have to remember is that a lot of these Sat. morning cartoons you remember so fondly are pretty bad if you watch them now. I mean, being a geek, I have an affinity toward animation, but if I were impartial to it, I wouldn't get any joy out of watching Pirates of Dark Water, Conan the Adventurer, or the old TMNT.

Now, there are a few cartoons from back in the day that actually stand up as quality television (Gargoyles, Batman: TAS and just about everything else in the DCAU), but most don't. I think you're probably just viewing the past through rosy tinted lenses, as kids that are six or seven now are going to look back when they're twenty and say "man, Digimon was so awesome! Cartoons suck these days!"
    This is true. I can't even stand Ducktales now.

Darkwing Duck still holds up for the most part, though.

And The Tick.
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Gadzooks. Something else is popular cultural than when you were a child. Warn the authorities.

I remember watching the X-Men Animated series religiously... I tried to go back and check it out a year or two ago, and I think I got eye cancer from how badly it aged. The past is best viewed through rosy colored glasses.
    I had a debate with some guy in another thread who was saying that he thought X-Men was the most well written cartoon ever, even when compared to Batman: TAS.

Yeah, it's well written if you like characters that basically just walk around and say what they're feeling all the time. That show had, like, the worst dialogue.

COVERED WITH SCORPIONS!
    COVERED WITH SCORPIONS!
    COVERED WITH SCORPIONS!

...ahem.

I liked X-Men as a kid, but I agree it hasn't aged well. It has a lot of terrible animation and voice-acting.
    I'm sure that the complexity is there, but the presentation of said complexity is so bad that it isn't worth sticking with the series to find out what happens. Gargoyles is easily as complex as X-Men, and the writing is good enough that the show remains believable and worthwhile.

At least until the end when they start spouting advertisement lines for no readily apparent reason

Yes, Brooklyn, "stone cure-all" was very clever

Now I see why Angela didn't choose you
    Small children are not a discerning audience. They don't care what's on... just that they can buy the action figures/cards/game/collectable widgets associated with it.

Good point. I've mentioned this before, but when I was a kid, I would pretty much watch anything (though the only merchandise I remember ever having were TMNT action figures... including like five different Leonardos).

Hell, I even watched James Bond Jr.

JAAAAMES BOND!
    JAMES BOND JUNIOR!
    No one can stop him, but S.C.U.M. always tries!
    James Bond something something about lies!
    He learned the game from his Uncle James
    Now he's here to remain
    JAAAAMES BOND!
    JAMES BOND JUNIOR!

...man, even the theme song sucked.
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Futurama? The Venture Brothers? Samurai Jack? TERRIBLE CARTOONS ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH BUSHIDO SMASH

...aren't all of those geared toward adults?
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I also notice on cartoons how they have really turned away from cartoon violence and any mention of death.

I am still pissed that no one was allowed to die in Batman.

Turned away? There's more in it today than there ever was in the past. Hell... the original DC cartoons for Batman and/or the Justice League couldn't even show people punching eachother.

Uh.

Unless you're talking about some Batman cartoon from the 60s or something, you're totally and utterly wrong.

Batman, Robin and foes traded punches all the time.

Now, Spidey? Yeah, he couldn't punch people. And for some reason every two-bit thug in NYC had a laser pistol or a bazooka instead of a regular gun.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The most amusing advertising campaigns were when they released Dino-Riders (and later, that one about characters from the computer who could take over random objects).

The videos that were designed to sell Dino-Riders toys had COMMERCIALS in them for Fake Legos and RC cars.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    I also notice on cartoons how they have really turned away from cartoon violence and any mention of death.

Turned away? There's more in it today than there ever was in the past. Hell... the original DC cartoons for Batman and/or the Justice League couldn't even show people punching eachother.

Uh.

Unless you're talking about some Batman cartoon from the 60s or something, you're totally and utterly wrong.

Now, Spidey? Yeah, he couldn't punch people. And for some reason every two-bit thug in NYC had a laser pistol or a bazooka instead of a regular gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZAyAxdxsc

When I say the original, I mean the original.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anybody ever watch King Arthur and the KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE!@? /kicks in the guitar solo.

Seriously though man, Batman the animated series has aged very very well. That was the series to end all series'.

TMNT I haven't seen since childhood but I remember a few years where it wasn't what you would be for halloween, but which turtle you would be -- unless you were an outcast badass and went for Splinter.

I remember the Spiderman cartoon from like 1993ish being pretty good... and I really liked Beast Wars which came a little later -- atleast the earlier ones. RHINOX WAS MY BRO!

Ant000 on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Real Ghostbusters still holds up today.
    I remember Rocko's Modern Life, and Angry Beavers being good as well.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Uh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZAyAxdxsc

When I say the original, I mean the original.
    Fair enough.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I somehow remember Conan theme song being better than this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_4nCj4TI0

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow.

The legion of doom just used the capitol dome to escape.
    WTF?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I remember Digimon, I was like 8 and loved that shit.

Now I catch the older Spider-man cartoons at this local channel early in the morning, like at 6. It's fucking awesome. So my nostalgia is well balanced.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spiderman, Batman, and Superman were the ones I remember best.

The most recent Justice League cartoon is pretty awesome too.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the last good saturday morning cartoon I saw was Mighty Max

Xaquin on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

You didn't watch W.I.L.D.CATS? ... WILD C.A.T.S. ..... that show with the guy with two pistols and a red hood. That came on right after Mighty Max where I lived.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to re-assert my love for Gargoyles right now, because I don't think I'm getting through here. Gargoyles is some of the most thoughtful television around, and it's my favorite TV show ever. Unfortunately, season 3 sucked ass, but that's what you get when you reassign the entire team and
    expect some new people to pick up the slack.
    See, Gargoyles isn't some show in which you debate whether or not it holds up. Gargoyles isn't just a cartoon we enjoyed as kids, but rather, it's just an excellent show period. You don't compare it to other animated shows, you compare it to the best that TV has to offer. Only then are you giving it the credit it deserves.
    And for the record, people did get punched in the face, as well as scratched, clawed, slashed, and pushed off of high buildings (often to their deaths). Hell, there's a scene in one episode where Demona has a bunch of humans stuck in a net, and she raises her mace and clobbers them to death with it. You don't actually see the mace smash their heads, but you do see her swing it at them, and the implication is clear. And really, who gives a fuck how violent it is anyway? Does that really have any bearing on how well a show "holds up"?

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

You didn't watch W.I.L.D.CATS? ... WILD C.A.T.S. ..... that show with the guy with two pistols and a red hood. That came on right after Mighty Max where I lived.
    I think you're thinking of S.W.A.T. Cats. Or maybe it was SWAT KATS. I don't fucking remember, it was one of those two.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I think you're thinking of S.W.A.T. Cats. Or maybe it was SWAT KATS. I don't fucking remember, it was one of those two.

No, there was a show called WILD C.A.T.S., based on the Jim Lee comic. It wasn't actually about cats. Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziy8KwNPzk

Jacobkosh on