Options

Saturday morning cartoons are just about dead...

13468912

Posts

  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if it's been mentioned because I am too lazy to read all 7 pages of this thread but...

    Mighty_Max_at_his_desk.png

    Mighty Max, mother fuckers.

    God I loved that show. I used to get up early just to watch that shit.

    Does anyone remember the episode that was exactly like John Carpenter's The Thing? That was awesome.

    Yeah Im downloading Mighty Max now. Lol the the whole cartoon was made to promote A guy version of Polly Pocket.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned because I am too lazy to read all 7 pages of this thread but...

    Mighty_Max_at_his_desk.png

    Mighty Max, mother fuckers.

    God I loved that show. I used to get up early just to watch that shit.

    Does anyone remember the episode that was exactly like John Carpenter's The Thing? That was awesome.

    Yeah Im downloading Mighty Max now. Lol the the whole cartoon was made to promote A guy version of Polly Pocket.

    All it did was promote legions of fans of Norman.

    That guy was fucking metal.

    The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Thread needs more Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. I guess I don't understand how everyone doesn't think 80s cartoons were the greatest.

    I thought no one remembered that but me

    that was indeed a badass show


    It was one of the greats. I guess they had a movie in the works that would have ended the series and tied everything up, but it was canned. It's one of my pipe dreams to make it into a successful live action movie, but I think that borders on fanfic madness.

    Also obligatory name dropping: Centurions, Bravestarr, Project G.K.R., Sky Commanders, and The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.

    Fellhand on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Thread needs more Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. I guess I don't understand how everyone doesn't think 80s cartoons were the greatest.

    I thought no one remembered that but me

    that was indeed a badass show


    It was one of the greats. I guess they had a movie in the works that would have ended the series and tied everything up, but it was canned. It's one of my pipe dreams to make it into a successful live action movie, but I think that borders on fanfic madness.

    Also obligatory name dropping: Centurions, Bravestarr, Project G.K.R., Sky Commanders, and The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.

    Centurions FTW.
    They didn't just have power, they had "Power Extreme!"

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Fox had mini series called Red Planet that cost them 1.2 mill for three episodes.

    EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    I'd love it if you'd clean up that post. I'm convinced that you have some insightful stuff to say, but that post reads like a muddled mess. Please, please clean it up.

    Sure.

    -There are three major reasons why the toons are the way they are, the first being the Educational/Informational (also known as E/I you see it on some shows). The networks
    and their affilates have to air 3 1/2 hours of this programing a week and promote it as well.
    The kids companies are also not allowed to air the shows product while it airs, or the FCC
    will fine the network, and the aiffilates involved. As proven by the issue with Veggietales and
    Trollz, this E/I reqirement doesnt work. (Programs exempt by this rule are News, NewsMagazines and Sports, the latter from 2006)

    -The second reason is what happend to Fox Kids Worldwide (now called Jetix). This caused many fans of old Fox Kids block, to leave for anime (modern day fansubbers)- become fans of Nick (via their children) or leave animation all together.

    -The Third Reason is Money. For every advertisment done back in the late 1970's and through out the 1980's, the cost to put that advertisment on the air, was $8500 (high estemate) for every 30 second spot- by the late 1990's, it was $6500. Now for a lower based show, such as Totally Spies or such, it can be as low as $1000. Because of this, the animators/cartoonists are forced out of the business and angry at anime and its fanbase. The execs dont want the animatiors/cartoonists to piss off the fanbase or get the FCC/BsNP to get angry- and at the same time reach the old aduance of animation fans from the 1970's and 80's.

    Thats what I was trying to point out.

    Novid on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Fox had mini series called Red Planet that cost them 1.2 mill for three episodes.

    I remember that show...It looked good for what it was and what year it came from.

    How can anybody forget The Thundercats? :P

    Novid on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Thread needs more Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. I guess I don't understand how everyone doesn't think 80s cartoons were the greatest.

    I thought no one remembered that but me

    that was indeed a badass show


    It was one of the greats. I guess they had a movie in the works that would have ended the series and tied everything up, but it was canned. It's one of my pipe dreams to make it into a successful live action movie, but I think that borders on fanfic madness.

    Also obligatory name dropping: Centurions, Bravestarr, Project G.K.R., Sky Commanders, and The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.

    Centurions FTW.
    They didn't just have power, they had "Power Extreme!"

    Lord...yall getting me choked up. XD

    Novid on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned because I am too lazy to read all 7 pages of this thread but...

    Mighty_Max_at_his_desk.png

    Mighty Max, mother fuckers.

    God I loved that show. I used to get up early just to watch that shit.

    Does anyone remember the episode that was exactly like John Carpenter's The Thing? That was awesome.

    Yeah Im downloading Mighty Max now. Lol the the whole cartoon was made to promote A guy version of Polly Pocket.

    All it did was promote legions of fans of Norman.

    That guy was fucking metal.

    I loved Norman. I had a old McD's trinket of Mighty Max somewhere. That show was cool for what it was.

    Novid on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)

    emnmnme on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)
    hahah...

    Novid on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)
    I watched these cartoons and I almost earned my doctorate by now. That's called time management.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)
    I watched these cartoons and I almost earned my doctorate by now. That's called time management.

    No doubt you were studying during the commercial breaks. You should have been watching a cartoon leprechaun being tracked down for his marshmallow cereal like the rest of us.

    emnmnme on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)
    I watched these cartoons and I almost earned my doctorate by now. That's called time management.

    No doubt you were studying during the commercial breaks. You should have been watching a cartoon leprechaun being tracked down for his marshmallow cereal like the rest of us.

    These days I actually get excited when the Geico caveman commercials come on. Half the time they are better than the show I'm watching. I demand more. I want to find out how the caveman's reconciled relationship is working out!

    Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that with all the mentionings of Mighty Max and Jem and He-Man that, had we skipped watching all these cartoons and put those hours into learning, we all could have earned doctorates and cured cancer by now. Just saying.

    :)
    I watched these cartoons and I almost earned my doctorate by now. That's called time management.

    No doubt you were studying during the commercial breaks. You should have been watching a cartoon leprechaun being tracked down for his marshmallow cereal like the rest of us.

    These days I actually get excited when the Geico caveman commercials come on. Half the time they are better than the show I'm watching. I demand more. I want to find out how the caveman's reconciled relationship is working out!

    You are the reason a show about them is being made.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    You are the reason a show about them is being made.

    I wish I had that much power. And I'm content with 15 second blurbs. I'm pretty sure the sitcom is going to ruin it.

    Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    You are the reason a show about them is being made.

    I wish I had that much power. And I'm content with 15 second blurbs. I'm pretty sure the sitcom is going to ruin it.
    The caveman thing is going to get stale within a month, and no one's going to watch the TV series.

    Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

    You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Lately I've been throwing around the idea with my buddy that we should make a band and play the intros from Saturday mornings. The drawback is each song will only be like 1:10 long.


    Theres a band on my campus that already does that. Its amazing because they intermix those songs with their original stuff and its a good break while other band members get ready for the other songs.

    Bedigumx on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys! Guys!

    P-68M01VL00.jpg


    Oh my god, I loved that show and wasn't even around to catch the show when it was airing. I only saw a handful of the reruns...

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ShiosaiShiosai Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    ^

    Nickelodeon had some decent cartoons. I think it still does, but I've probably outgrown the demographic

    Shiosai on
    60353019xm5.jpg
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bedigumx wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Lately I've been throwing around the idea with my buddy that we should make a band and play the intros from Saturday mornings. The drawback is each song will only be like 1:10 long.


    Theres a band on my campus that already does that. Its amazing because they intermix those songs with their original stuff and its a good break while other band members get ready for the other songs.

    Beat to the punch or not, you should still do this, Fellhand.

    Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silverhawks?

    anybody?

    also my childhood was such that for a time Saturday morning itself was both represented and heralded by the opening theme from the Smurfs.


    ed: wings of silver, nerves of steel!

    ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned because I am too lazy to read all 7 pages of this thread but...

    Mighty_Max_at_his_desk.png

    Mighty Max, mother fuckers.

    God I loved that show. I used to get up early just to watch that shit.

    Does anyone remember the episode that was exactly like John Carpenter's The Thing? That was awesome.

    That show had such a cop out shitty ending. olol maybe it will be different the 2nd time.

    :x

    To be fair, there were new episodes after that one. Never really was an ending, but I guess that 2-parter "loop" story is the closest thing.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SneezerSneezer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nothing, will ever beat: Dreamstone.jpg

    Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
    Available for weddings, bar-mitzvahs and risings of the people against oppressive states.
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember being pretty excited to watch King Arthur and the Knights of Justice!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The show's premise had King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table trapped in the Cave of Glass by the evil enchantress Morgana Le Faye. The wizard Merlin, unable to free King Arthur and the Knights himself, searches the timeline for replacement Knights. Merlin finds the quarterback of the New York Knights football team, Arthur King, as a suitable replacement. Merlin transports Arthur King and his teammates to Camelot after one of their football games and appoints Arthur King as their leader, with his teammates as the new Knights of the Round Table. He assigns them the task of defeating Morgana and freeing the true King and Knights.

    So yeah, Merlin hijacked a high school football team. Awesome? You betcha.

    logo.jpg

    Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have good memories of waking up to 'Saturday Disney' - hell, my brother and I drew some really bad Lion King drawings, I mean, even for kids these were bad and we won that prize pack thing they did every week.

    Needless to say, we were the coolest kids on the block and since all my friends watched it they knew (They said our names and general area where we lived) it was true.

    I was kind of disappointed, a few weeks later the prize was a freaking PC where as we got a GBA, a ton of games and some other stuff.

    squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    I have good memories of waking up to 'Saturday Disney' - hell, my brother and I drew some really bad Lion King drawings, I mean, even for kids these were bad and we won that prize pack thing they did every week.

    Needless to say, we were the coolest kids on the block and since all my friends watched it they knew (They said our names and general area where we lived) it was true.

    I was kind of disappointed, a few weeks later the prize was a freaking PC where as we got a GBA, a ton of games and some other stuff.

    So when you say you remember this, it was really, what, three or four years ago?

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    I remember being pretty excited to watch King Arthur and the Knights of Justice!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The show's premise had King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table trapped in the Cave of Glass by the evil enchantress Morgana Le Faye. The wizard Merlin, unable to free King Arthur and the Knights himself, searches the timeline for replacement Knights. Merlin finds the quarterback of the New York Knights football team, Arthur King, as a suitable replacement. Merlin transports Arthur King and his teammates to Camelot after one of their football games and appoints Arthur King as their leader, with his teammates as the new Knights of the Round Table. He assigns them the task of defeating Morgana and freeing the true King and Knights.

    So yeah, Merlin hijacked a high school football team. Awesome? You betcha.

    logo.jpg

    Whenever I have a bad day. Like a day where I just hate everything and want to quit my job and just go home and drink, I insted listen to 80's cartoon intros and everything becomes better.

    Intros now seem kind of bland. Back in the 80's and early 90's you knew what was going to happen in a show just by the intro.

    "And then, from the field of the future a new king will come to save the world of the past."
    "Thundering across the stars to save the universe from the Monster Minds, Jayce searchs for his father to unite the magic root and lead his Lightning League to victory of the changing form of Saw Boss."
    "In 2086 two peaceful aliens hurried to earth seeking our help. In return, they gave us the plans for our first hyper drive, allowing mankind to open the door to the stars. We have assembled a team of unique individuals to protect earth and our allies."
    "In the near future, Doc Terror and his cyborg companion Hacker unleash their forces to conquer earth. Only one force can stop this evil, a handful of brave men."
    "In a distant time and far off place the planet of New Texas floats deep in space. Sky's three suns. Land of precious ore. The carrier rush brought ourlaws by the score. Then one day a lawman appeared with powers of hawk wolf puma and bear."

    It really felt like you could know the entire show just by listening to the theme song a few times.

    Fellhand on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    So Mikesta, where is my wad of hundred dollar bills for your biased judgement? I mean have you even seen Billy and Mandy to brush them off so?

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My pet theory is that television used to be a family activity, so parents would watch with children; now, kids are dumped in front of it as a form of babysitting, so networks can get away with any old crap as long as ithas bright colours and movement. I hope I'm wrong, though.

    I dunno. My son just turned two and is infatuated with Curious George that runs on PBS. Hes perfectly content to just sit there for the 22 minutes its on and just watch. I usually watch it with him. Its pretty good stuff.

    HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ok, ok. so we have all this nostalgia for shows from the 80's and 90's... what about the golden Warner Brother years in the 30's-50's. I have a special place in my heart for all the Merrie Melodies, original Disney Cartoon shorts and the Looney Tunes. Its so bad i even feel nostalgic for the 40's and big band music.
    The old black and white pop-eyes with the crazy back grounds, betty boop, capn and the kids. Am i the only one here that enjoys more than just cartoons from the past 30 years?

    HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's not just that I feel nostalgic for the cartoons of the 80s, but they just seemed like they were more positive and upbeat then current cartoons. 80's cartoons felt like they were trying to get across the message "We're awesome and you can do anything." where current cartoons make me feel like "You're watching television and you're our slave."

    Fellhand on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    It's not just that I feel nostalgic for the cartoons of the 80s, but they just seemed like they were more positive and upbeat then current cartoons. 80's cartoons felt like they were trying to get across the message "We're awesome and you can do anything." where current cartoons make me feel like "You're watching television and you're our slave."

    Thats because up until the end of the last decade, the whole education intellgencia has moved from promoting children and self-esteem, to drugging them for every small infraction. The result, when coupled with the animation business changing hands from business/family men who had talent; to CEO's and writers who know nothing but using the animation business as way to get into or make live action series...

    Novid on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    Silverhawks?

    anybody?

    also my childhood was such that for a time Saturday morning itself was both represented and heralded by the opening theme from the Smurfs.


    ed: wings of silver, nerves of steel!

    Silverhawks were awesome because it was like the Space version of Thundercats but with a leader who wasn't a 7' 12 year old.

    Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We're tiny,
    We're tooney,
    We're all a little looney!

    MrMister on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    I remember being pretty excited to watch King Arthur and the Knights of Justice!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The show's premise had King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table trapped in the Cave of Glass by the evil enchantress Morgana Le Faye. The wizard Merlin, unable to free King Arthur and the Knights himself, searches the timeline for replacement Knights. Merlin finds the quarterback of the New York Knights football team, Arthur King, as a suitable replacement. Merlin transports Arthur King and his teammates to Camelot after one of their football games and appoints Arthur King as their leader, with his teammates as the new Knights of the Round Table. He assigns them the task of defeating Morgana and freeing the true King and Knights.

    So yeah, Merlin hijacked a high school football team. Awesome? You betcha.

    logo.jpg

    Arthur and the knights of justice, puttin' evil doooooown!

    /guitar, dodo do dodo do dodo do dodo do doooo.


    Best show ever, man. All the unique and crazy armor for each individual knight, and the shield summoned animal powers! Yeeeah baby!

    Ant000 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »

    Arthur and the knights of justice, puttin' evil doooooown!

    /guitar, dodo do dodo do dodo do dodo do doooo.


    Best show ever, man. All the unique and crazy armor for each individual knight, and the shield summoned animal powers! Yeeeah baby!

    Wait is that the one with the holograms?

    Oh man, do you guys remember when hologram toys were big?

    "Oh shit his face is 3D and greenish"

    Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    We're tiny,
    We're tooney,
    We're all a little looney!
    Man, I loved that show! I even had the crappy game-boy game.

    Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember Bobby's World but I think I have made up my mind and say that Tom and Jerry have to be my all time favorite cartoon from childhood. So many to choose from though-- God, what happened to all of these shows?

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man. I never got in to the various "Catch that varmint" cartoons.

    Maybe because I would play hide and seek with a very large horse.

    Getting stomped is less amusing than as seen on TV.

    Incenjucar on
Sign In or Register to comment.