Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[California Politics] America's Hippie Commune

1111213141517»

• KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    This is fucking wild. I've rarely seen a more compelling case for nationalizing an industry

ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    VishNubEncOrcaDoodmannTNTrooperSkeithIncenjucarSleepTetraNitroCubaneMilldispatch.oEmperorSeth
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I can't even imagine how much it would cost to retrofit the entire grid.

Or even just the vulnerable parts. Maybe its less than I think, but I don't even know how to start making that estimate.

I mean, this blackout is projected to cause a billion dollars in lost revenue/damages, so there's a pretty heavy cost of not doing anything, as well. Plus, the rate of occurrence of these kinds of conditions is only going to get more frequent with climate change.

Of course, PG&E is fine with dumping the damages onto its consumers instead of eating another fire on its own. So hey, maybe that's their idea.

Like @akajaybay said, I would find this a lot easier to swallow if it was a stop-gap measure with a clear plan underway to modernize the grid. But I'm just not seeing that from the company.

(I'm grumpy because I've been without power for 12 hours so far and know I'm gonna have to throw out most of my fridge by the end of this.)

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    VishNubFencingsaxSpoitemp123
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I have to agree with this statement found randomly on Twitter:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Captain InertiaIncenjucarKruitekime
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I have to agree with this statement found randomly on Twitter:

People have been shooting at PGE employees so "angry mob" is not an unreasonable risk..

emp123
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/Fire-spreads-under-power-lines-on-San-Bruno-14508092.php

Welp. So much for that plan. I mean, you can't really point fingers to blame just yet for this one, but... let's just say a lot of people are watching and are on high alert.

Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    It's kind of shocking to me that they need to use over 6000 employees and 40+ helicopters to visually inspect everything for damage.

I guess I just assumed that there would be some sort of system in place that could automatically detect continuity errors.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    It's kind of shocking to me that they need to use over 6000 employees and 40+ helicopters to visually inspect everything for damage.

I guess I just assumed that there would be some sort of system in place that could automatically detect continuity errors.

They haven't repaired or updated so much for so long it's more than just bad lines at this point.

FencingsaxSleep
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

That would require paying for upkeep and maintenaince, when that money could go to executive compensation instead.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    SleepIncenjucardispatch.o
    Gavin putting PG&E on fucking blast rn. Specifically calling them out on the mismanagement and greed that cost lives in Camp.