As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deep Rock Galactic.... Space Dwarves!

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The driller + engi can tunnel underneath the objectives and seal the entrance allowing you to coast through those missions with little issue.

It's just god awfully boring sitting in a hole for 2 minutes at a time.

Karoz on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I discovered my first Endor Pearl over the weekend. That would have been good information to have a month ago.

What other minerals are hiding in the walls?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Trajan45
    edited December 2019
    Jadiz (green), Bittergem (purple), Error cubes (jagged white), and Compressed Gold (non glowing gold).

Karoz on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Jadiz (green glowing flecks in the wall), bittergem (purple glowing flecks in the wall), compressed gold (shiny gold flecks in the wall), and ERR (haven't seen this one in a while, iirc its indicator is spiky shit poking out the wall)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Look here: https://deeprockgalactic.gamepedia.com/Resources. It doesn't show the small crystals for the others but for Aquarq it does and the others are the same but with different colors.

Talk about boring, getting a mission with the "ghost" is pretty boring. We just had one person spend 15 minutes distracting it while we mined the morkite. We'll be avoiding those from now on.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The game taunted me last night with the first machine event that I've seen in ages. It was during a mactera plague point extract in the magma core. I activated it and it was the rock mutation one where you need to melee everything. But once I activated it, a souped up point extract Swarm spawned, then a mactera swarm spawned, then an earthquake slowed me down, and finally flaming fissures opened up litterally on every side of the power up dispenser and all of the power ups fell into the molten fissures.

I was pretty damn disgusted after that. I failed the machine event obviously since the whole world aligned against me, but I completed the run out of spite. At least I opened a cargo crate, and now I know that cargo crates and machine events can be present on the same map.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    KarozTrajan45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Look here: https://deeprockgalactic.gamepedia.com/Resources. It doesn't show the small crystals for the others but for Aquarq it does and the others are the same but with different colors.

Talk about boring, getting a mission with the "ghost" is pretty boring. We just had one person spend 15 minutes distracting it while we mined the morkite. We'll be avoiding those from now on.

It can be rough but the ghost can make your team move at super speed to outpace the ghost. Now given the ghost may dig its way to you but that may be a quick exit at the end of the map.

Oxygen was really rough before but they've tweaked it to be much better.

One more tip. Flying units die when they are frozen. This can be put to good use by any character when solo by using Bosco's cryo rockets. A very good use of the rockets is to take out the Naedocyte Breeders. Normally those things are a bit of a pain to kill for some classes at range since they have a lot of health, tend to run away, and spawn tons of trash to keep you preoccupied. But tell Bosco to freeze it twice and it'll fall right out of the sky.

3DS Friend Code:
    Karoz
    Yeah, you'd think the big glowy sides of the breeder would be the weak point but it's actually the "mouth" where it gives birth to the roe which is not always present.

Better to destroy the roe if you can while waiting for the mouth to reappear if you have time to spare.

edited December 2019
    I'm trying to give an elite deep dive for the first time, solo once more since my friends are still awol, and this first map is the most bullshit thing that I have EVER seen. I can't kite the swarms around the cavern because the low O2 forces me to the mining head. I can't hold out on the mining head because it is positioned on top of magma jets that engulf the entire mining head in lava. On top of it all the map is ridiculously vertical and there are a buncha leeches in the ceiling.

edit:
    I eventually beat phase 1. Phase 2 took me down when I was low on supplies from phase 1, and then it hit me with a praetorian swarm, bulk detonator, regular swarm, oppressor, and several waves of mactera.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Yeah elite is no joke and you have to keep moving. I haven't beaten more than phase 2 with randos.

Basically have to keep moving which is easier to do with live players than Bosco. If you want an extra blank core I do it, otherwise I don't bother.

edited December 2019
    Normally keeping moving isn't much of an issue. It's just that this particular map is really hard to traverse. It's basically one big pit that the mining head sits in, most of the floor is lava, what's left of the floor is magma jets, and the whole zone is low o2. It's hard to grapple anywhere that won't send you towards either fall damage, or magma jets.

I think that if I were to try again, I'd place my supply drop elsewhere on the map to give me a secondary air site, but I don't think that I want to bother with that map again.

c4ga8axzyq58.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Ran into my first Xynarch Charge-Sucker. That was fun and ended my mission quick. If I had more room, I think it would have been ok, but the ice map was a mess of drops and pits and it just kept rapid firing bombs at me.

I like how after you save betc, she'll try to protect you from the bugs that are biting you by shooting at you with grenades.

3DS Friend Code:
    She shows her love by firing high yield explosives.

General_Armchair
    I'm finally starting to get some good overclocks. I got sticky fuel for the flamer and the tranquilizer rounds for the subata. It makes for some pretty ammo efficient praetorioan kills to pop them a few times with the subata and then torch the ground underneath them.

3DS Friend Code:
    KarozTrajan45
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Played with @Karoz and Lethal Pringles this week! Nice runs!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Karoz
    • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      This is the first I've heard of this game, and it looks fuckin fun. Definitely going to keep my eye on it

JtgVX0H.png
      Karoz
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Played with Karoz and Lethal Pringles this week! Nice runs!

Your invite came at a really opportune time and just when I was thinking about how I almost never played with you after saying I would.

TimFiji
      I successfully gifted Deep Rock Galactic to three people over the holidays and convinced a fourth to buy it. It really is the next L4D.

KarozGeneral_ArmchairQanamilTrajan45
      I have no impulse control so I picked this up earlier and after the initial mission the game puts you in, @Karoz saw I was playing and joined and walked me through another and explained a lot of stuff to me. It's a lot of fun, and I definitely see myself sinking some time into this

JtgVX0H.png
      QanamilKarozTrajan45
      Darmak wrote: »
      I have no impulse control so I picked this up earlier and after the initial mission the game puts you in, @Karoz saw I was playing and joined and walked me through another and explained a lot of stuff to me. It's a lot of fun, and I definitely see myself sinking some time into this

The game tutorial only teaches you in a single player context (commanding Bosco) and it skips telling you about resources hiding in the walls.

Bosco is underrated. Single player would be a nightmare without him. He can fly and you can't, and he can fly while mining. He can even mine resources behind walls if you spot them.

Karoz
      Cantido wrote: »
      I have no impulse control so I picked this up earlier and after the initial mission the game puts you in, Karoz saw I was playing and joined and walked me through another and explained a lot of stuff to me. It's a lot of fun, and I definitely see myself sinking some time into this

The game tutorial only teaches you in a single player context (commanding Bosco) and it skips telling you about resources hiding in the walls.

Bosco is underrated. Single player would be a nightmare without him. He can fly and you can't, and he can fly while mining. He can even mine resources behind walls if you spot them.

Yeah, because of Karoz I was digging up some pearls behind the walls in the latest solo mission I did. I also discovered there are grenades (though the driller has throwing axes? Fuck yeah!)

JtgVX0H.png
      Karoz
      Each character has three types of grenades, two of which need to be unlocked. The most powerful one IMO is the scout's pheromone canister, which afflicts bugs with a debuff that causes other bugs to prioritize attacking them.

3DS Friend Code:
      Karoz
      Cantido wrote: »
      I have no impulse control so I picked this up earlier and after the initial mission the game puts you in, Karoz saw I was playing and joined and walked me through another and explained a lot of stuff to me. It's a lot of fun, and I definitely see myself sinking some time into this

Yeah, because of Karoz I was digging up some pearls behind the walls in the latest solo mission I did. I also discovered there are grenades (though the driller has throwing axes? Fuck yeah!)

Those Axes are Dreadnought killers.

Like, if the Dreadnought didn't restore armor at regular intervals of HP loss, a Driller could nearly kill it alone.

DarmakTrajan45Karoz
      I find the driller to be the easiest to solo with unless I'm doing point extraction, then the Gunner for the zip lines. Bosco is the best and sometimes I wish we had him for a 2 player run, since his ability to go and dig out minerals can be easier than the second player haha.

Here's the wiki: https://deeprockgalactic.gamepedia.com/Deep_Rock_Galactic_Wiki It has a bunch of good info around abilities, what minerals look like, mission types, etc.

Each character has three types of grenades, two of which need to be unlocked. The most powerful one IMO is the scout's pheromone canister, which afflicts bugs with a debuff that causes other bugs to prioritize attacking them.

Problem with grenades for me is I usually forget to use them from afar and so in the thick of things I'm in favor less friendly fire options. So I usually go for the inhibitor field though the pheromone canister is way more effective--just if it hits friendlies it loses some potency.

I've found scout to be easiest to solo with thanks to his mobility.

3DS Friend Code:
      edited January 2020
      I've found scout to be easiest to solo with thanks to his mobility.

With Bosco getting all minerals that are out of reach, but not secondary objectives like fossils and things. For those higher off the ground, unless I'm missing a trick, grappling up doesn't work so you'd have to slowly dig to higher ones. That's why I go driller, plus the axes make quick work of praetorian and the flamethrower has great crowd control. Also just drilling your way to the drop pod is fun lol.

Trajan45 on
      edited January 2020
      The grapple works great for those. Just grapple on up there and grab it. The trick is managing the fall damage.

If it's on a wall that's not steeply sloped inwards, then with practice you can carve yourself an instant nook to stand in by flinging yourself at the wall and power attacking just prior to impact. The "improved retraction rate" upgrade helps give you the momentum to carry yourself into the nook.

With enough fall damage reduction, you can just eat the fall damage from a lot of heights. Scout can stack a LOT more fall reduction than other dwarves, and falls that would cripple other dwarves may fail to punch through his shields.

If it's really high, you can beeline to red sugar, a resupply, or a bug to replenish your health after dropping into iron will.

If you have the special powder overclock for the shotgun (shotgun jump), then you can can fling yourself into the ceiling with the grapple gun and then arrest your fall with the shotgun.

Edit:
      The flare gun makes it a hell of a lot faster for the scout to find those high objectives in big caverns in the first place

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
      Trajan45Karoz
      Yeah though a lot of what you mentioned is kind of high level :) I'm only on the 3rd row of perks right now and way far away from any overclocks. I did get one for the gunner from the holiday assignment but I need a max level character to open up the forge.

I love the flare gun though, it's super helpful on big open maps. I like switching over to the scout or gunner when playing with friends. But for now, my driller is 14 and need to keep grinding haha.

Fall damage reduction perk + armor fall damage reduction perk + grapple fall damage reduction perk makes falling as a scout a lot less terrifying as it is in early levels.

General_Armchair
      Did a few more missions with pubs and I'm really enjoying this game! The mission early on with lots of grassy things in it kinda sucks because vision was limited at points, but it was really cool. I'm in love with how this game looks when things are dark, it's really atmospheric!

JtgVX0H.png
      KarozTrajan45
      The biomes all have their own different feel to their caves. IMO Dense Biozone and Fungus Bogs are probably the most disorienting.

3DS Friend Code:
      DarmakTrajan45drunkenpandaren
      My favorite is the core biozone. I love how lava lights up the caves. The game has spectacular lighting, just strange the textures are pretty rough. Might be to make things easy to see in a fire fight.

I like the looks of the magma core zone as well, but some of its environmental hazards are a bit much. Mainly the lava jets and the earthquakes that slow you to a crawl. It's also a bit annoying to be looking for a missing cargo crate battery in that zone since the whole environment is riddled with reddish squiggles.

I kinda like the looks of the ice zone a lot too.

3DS Friend Code:
      Trajan45
      yeah seems like all my Dreadnought missions end up in the magma core, which is challenging lol. Oh here's a nice big area to fight in, but there's a dozen flame jets you'll need to dodge and the ground might crack open along with the Dreadnought itself reforming the terrain.

My friend who likes to play driller keeps chucking c4 at the dreadnought mid-fight to try and put out more dps. But it's like "no dude, you're not helping. You're making it really hard to kite with all of these huge craters with slopes too steep to run out of."

3DS Friend Code:
      Trajan45Karoz
      God help your team if he gets in any friendly fire with those charges, even himself.

They're useful for softening up a dreadnought's armor initially since you usually pull away from the cocoon, but after that yeah those charges become a shit show real quick.

edited January 2020
      No joke, I initially vastly overestimated the lethality of the dreadnought after getting dumpstered in my first few fights alongside my friend. I thought that I had slipped up and got obliterated like if I were to slip up against a dark souls boss and get knocked from 100 to 0 in an eye blink. When solo playing, I brought my A-game to never get hit. Then eventually I slipped up and got hit solo and I didn't go down. Around that moment I realized that it was my friend who was blowing me up and not the dreadnought.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
      DarmakTrajan45stopgap