As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deep Rock Galactic.... Space Dwarves!

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    haha playing with pugs is always a crap shoot. One of my friends for example, just loves going in and doing stuff. Has no concern for ammo or strategy, just all grenades for any minor battle. So we usually play on Hazard 3 at best and we have fun, but I can imagine if he was playing with random folks, they'd really get annoyed.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alllmost bought this then realized there are no gender options, and half my co-op crew are ladies who prefer to play ladies. When are they fixing that?

What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alllmost bought this then realized there are no gender options, and half my co-op crew are ladies who prefer to play ladies. When are they fixing that?

It looks like they want to work on it. A rough model was leaked and here was the Dev response from about a year ago:
    Don't get your hopes up just yet, folks. :D As we've stated before, we want to do female characters, but if we do them we want to do them right. This model is for an early test using the same skeleton as the current dwarves - hence the orangutan arms as someone pointed out. And no, she'd not be blue either.

EDIT: It's not on the roadmap for Q2. There is unannounced stuff for Q3/Q4 where it could be coming.

Trajan45 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It looks like they want to work on it. A rough model was leaked and here was the Dev response from about a year ago:
    Don't get your hopes up just yet, folks. :D As we've stated before, we want to do female characters, but if we do them we want to do them right. This model is for an early test using the same skeleton as the current dwarves - hence the orangutan arms as someone pointed out. And no, she'd not be blue either.

EDIT: It's not on the roadmap for Q2. There is unannounced stuff for Q3/Q4 where it could be coming.

the reddit AMA with Ghost Ship from a few months ago said this when asked about female dwarves:
    Not yet... still not agreeing on how to do it or if we should do it. Also quite a big task voice-recording wise.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      I have never performed a Deep Dive because I am super OCD about leveling my characters evenly, and I struggle enough at Haz Level 3 anyway.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      I have never performed a Deep Dive because I am super OCD about leveling my characters evenly, and I struggle enough at Haz Level 3 anyway.

The three stages of the regular deep dive are something like 3, 3.5, 3.5 for difficulty. You get a reward for each stage you beat, so even if you can only do the first then fail, it's still worth trying.

Deep Dives can sometimes be easier since Nitra carries over. So if you have a good team, you can usually hoard Nitra in the first level or 2 and have a ton of the final stage.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Al_wat wrote: »
      Why is it when you play with class unlocked in multiplayer, you always get scouts, and they are always bad

every

fucking

time

It's like every Kerillian I've played with in Vermintide.

I was having the same thought but I can't say I've had any bad scouts be THAT bad.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      Scouts are the class most likely to run off by himself and get killed by his own overconfidence. Just like the elf.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
      A lot of times I just see them not playing their role. I'm leveling up my engineer right now, I make sure to shoot platforms at high up ores and things that need to be grabbed. I can't even count the number of times I'd have two. TWO scouts in the group and neither of them are fucking grabbing high up shit

its to the point where with me and my friend who always play together it has become a meme.

I would normally choose to play with the one person per class thing unlocked, because sometimes two of a class is actually cool, but 100% of the time its scouts.

Don't get me wrong, a good scout is great. Or even one who just like, tries to play their role. Thats all I really ask. They don't need to be amazing.

A lot of times I just see them not playing their role. I'm leveling up my engineer right now, I make sure to shoot platforms at high up ores and things that need to be grabbed. I can't even count the number of times I'd have two. TWO scouts in the group and neither of them are fucking grabbing high up shit

its to the point where with me and my friend who always play together it has become a meme.

I would normally choose to play with the one person per class thing unlocked, because sometimes two of a class is actually cool, but 100% of the time its scouts.

Don't get me wrong, a good scout is great. Or even one who just like, tries to play their role. Thats all I really ask. They don't need to be amazing.

Yeah you gotta do your job. I really dislike kicking people but my friends and I were doing an H5 in magma world and the engineer just was not putting plats down where we were tagging.

• TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
        Was hoping for the hoverclock OC, ended up getting special powder. Special powder is way better.

Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
        Special powder is one of my favorites. It's exactly what the scout needs. Even more mobility.

3DS Friend Code:
        Still waiting for that one. Thankfully I have Cryo minelets are are awesome to tide me over.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
        I got the rocket jump OC for the grenade launcher and I'm having a hard time imagining that being very useful? Maybe if I took away all the damage mods and made sure to land on safe fall platforms.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
        We've always played 4-stack with a class each and I'm always Scout. My blue level thing is low even though my character is really high level but who cares. Scout4life.

And you know as well as I do that its bullshit when I get grabbed or killed into some crevice when I clearly grappled perfectly.

Joking aside I leave as much shooting as possible to the others and try to get loot/objectives. Oh and I rez people and assassinate big stuff like breeders.

I really want the AI fire control module for the scout's AR. He can do some serious work with his guns and grenades, but the scout's main purpose in a fight is to illuminate the battlefield so that people can see targets coming from a greater distance and make appropriate plans. Also emergency rezing is pretty much his job.

3DS Friend Code:
        Instead of adding new classes (which I think is pretty hard), I could see them going with sub-classes for promoted classes. Allow the scout to either lose some support in exchange for DPS or lose more DPS for better support. I could see more specialized roles for each class that you could change to or from before a mission.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
        Man I recently got into this game and am absolutely loving this game so far. I'm definitely cottoning on to the Driller and Scout the most just for their sheer mobility and utility they bring to the group followed by the Gunner when I simply want to bring the dakka. Have to admit playing the Gunner solo is a dreary experience due to his more limited mobility options but being able to stand toe to toe with nearly any glythid is quite nice I have to say.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
        Eh I illuminate stuff but mainly my power comes from mobility and the scout still has a bunch of firepower. I've built the rifle for powered critical shots and the shotgun for reload speed, you can kill a lot of "specials" real fast. Especially since flanking with the grapple gun and long range weaponry is child's play.

You're just ok instead of great at killing a whole lot of bugs, and with the gunner and driller right there my time is way better spent flying around mining.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
        I am thrilled to say that I now have a working microphone, if there is anyone that wants a promoted Gunner and I think promoted Scout for Missions, let me know.

steam_sig.png
        Ratsult2 wrote: »

The three stages of the regular deep dive are something like 3, 3.5, 3.5 for difficulty. You get a reward for each stage you beat, so even if you can only do the first then fail, it's still worth trying.

I should have emphasized that none of my characters have hit level 25 yet because I'm leveling them evenly. But I will note that difficulty. It sounds perfectly reasonable.

It sounds like Deep Dives demand the kind of team setup that Destiny raids require. Its for the best that I try to level my guys up to 25 anyway, because I mostly play with randos and DRG has not clicked with any of my friends. I suppose there's always Discord.

try not to get everyone to 25 at the same time. When you do your promotion assignment you can play as a different class so you're not wasting experience.

I should have emphasized that none of my characters have hit level 25 yet because I'm leveling them evenly. But I will note that difficulty. It sounds perfectly reasonable.

It sounds like Deep Dives demand the kind of team setup that Destiny raids require. Its for the best that I try to level my guys up to 25 anyway, because I mostly play with randos and DRG has not clicked with any of my friends. I suppose there's always Discord.

Nah, you can clear even elite deep dives solo with any of the classes.

3DS Friend Code:
          Man I recently got into this game and am absolutely loving this game so far. I'm definitely cottoning on to the Driller and Scout the most just for their sheer mobility and utility they bring to the group followed by the Gunner when I simply want to bring the dakka. Have to admit playing the Gunner solo is a dreary experience due to his more limited mobility options but being able to stand toe to toe with nearly any glythid is quite nice I have to say.

Once you learn that Bosco can dig compacted earth, dig out large minerals, and mine, it's hard to play anything but the Scout solo. Add in the hover boots, it's even easier since you can grapple to fossil's and such on the ceiling, grab them and then engage hover boots to reduce the fall (or your grapple gun will have recharged if you have the option).

I used to use the Gunner solo on Point Extractions since zip lines are really handy at getting the Aquarq to the mine head. But now I just have Bosco get all my Aquarq and follow me back.

They really need to let us pick Mutators once you get to a certain rank. Doing Special Powder shotgun scout with low gravity was way too much fun.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
          Trajan45 wrote: »

Once you learn that Bosco can dig compacted earth, dig out large minerals, and mine, it's hard to play anything but the Scout solo. Add in the hover boots, it's even easier since you can grapple to fossil's and such on the ceiling, grab them and then engage hover boots to reduce the fall (or your grapple gun will have recharged if you have the option).

I used to use the Gunner solo on Point Extractions since zip lines are really handy at getting the Aquarq to the mine head. But now I just have Bosco get all my Aquarq and follow me back.

Oh yeah for sure, I tried doing gunner solo runs a few times last night and it was just...so....painfully....slow. Immediately switched to the scout and was ziplining happily away.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

One other reason to get a character to 25 asap is promotion unlocks the weekly core hunt mission. 3 levels, any character, any difficulty and you get 1 blank core, 1 weapon overclock, and 1 cosmetic overclock. You can only get 9 overclocks per week, so the sooner you get into the rotation (even if you are skipping both deep dives), the better.

edited May 2020

One other reason to get a character to 25 asap is promotion unlocks the weekly core hunt mission. 3 levels, any character, any difficulty and you get 1 blank core, 1 weapon overclock, and 1 cosmetic overclock. You can only get 9 overclocks per week, so the sooner you get into the rotation (even if you are skipping both deep dives), the better.

Thank you for the recommendation. I slogged through getting Scout to 25, now Scout is promoted and I'm leveling Engineer through the Scout's Promotion assignment. This takes away a lot of grind for me.

I can't marathon DRG like L4D or Vermintide. Something about it's thoughtful gameplay loop taps me out easily.

Cantido on
        • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
          Plus let's be real you could sprint through an L4D map in like 3 minutes

edited June 2020
          Oh my lord these maximum Cave Complexity missions are kicking my ass more than the monsters ever will.

Which is the point of the whole game but still.

Cantido on
        • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
          Oh my lord these maximum Cave Complexity missions are kicking my ass more than the monsters ever will.

Wait, I thought the point was to curl up in a ball and softly sob while waiting for the monsters to get you?

JtgVX0H.png

The Driller says hello :) Tunnels? Where we're going we make our own tunnels!

This game continues to be amazing. Its one of those games where hours pass and you don't even realize it. When I'm playing, I don't want to stop.

Wait why am I posting and not playing

brb-

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
          The driller is king of making a quick exit when leaving. Which direction is the escape pod....brrrrrrrrrr.

This game continues to be amazing. Its one of those games where hours pass and you don't even realize it. When I'm playing, I don't want to stop.

brb-

What are you on, and can I have some? :(

The driller is king of making a quick exit when leaving. Which direction is the escape pod....brrrrrrrrrr.

I seriously can't get enough of playing driller. Just the fact that any wall or obstacle is just "hehe drills go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghghgghgghghgh". I'd say the only levels I struggle with are the ones where it's a massive open cavern with scattered lattice crystal formations and then I do miss the extra vertical mobility of the scout. That said, I'm kind of impressed how much firepower the driller brings to the fight. Yeah the range is short, but man that flamethrower CHEWS through enemies. Speaking of that, I just finished the assignment to unlock the cryo thrower. I noticed in all of my playthroughs that not many drillers have it equipped. Does it suck or something? Or maybe I haven't played enough to see folks with it yet.

brb-

What are you on, and can I have some? :(

DRG

And weed

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
          The driller is so versatile digging upwards at speed is no bother and yeah I don’t like the cryo as much as the trusty flamethrower as just doesn’t have the same versatility.

Scout always number one in my heart but driller is always second...just so much fun chomping through rock.

I feel some minds will change when you upgrade your Gunner autocannon to "Carpet Bomber" mod.