As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PARTY TIP: If It Were Easy It Wouldn't Be Called Partying Hard [Andrew WK]

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Social Entropy++
This is Andrew WK:

MI0003750798.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
Andrew WK is a musician who had a fairly big breakout in 2001 with minor classic I Get Wet, in which he implored you, me, and everyone we know to Party As Hard As Possible.
His music is happy, wall-of-sound punk mixed in with pianos, shouting, and really just anything Andrew thinks might get a fuckin' party going. And it did! It was a hit and he toured around for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

After that he had a few follow ups that weren't as well received, and then a weird thing happened. Andrew stopped making music.
But he didn't stop Partying. He developed something he called the Philosophy of Partying, and began working as a motivational speaker and columnist, getting out his philosophy of the power of positivity, self confidence, and togetherness through the power of partying.
He toured the country giving what he called "pep talks for the soul". These discussions often evolved into parties after the talking part was done.

Andrews notoriety as an unstoppable force of positivity and motivation grew as he toured.
In June 2014, Andrew was announced to speak as a guest lecturer at the Oxford Union. W.K.'s keynote, titled Andrew W.K. and The Philosophy of Partying, discussed his signature message of positive power and celebratory self-confidence. Regarding the lecture, Oxford's Nick Fowler said: "In my opinion, Andrew is one of Rock N’ Roll’s great philosophers." And the Oxford University Rock Society offered their own statement: "We've seen rock stars, we've seen brilliant public speakers, but rarely are they the same person, and rarely do they have as intriguing and broad a background as Andrew W.K."

In 2018, a Suicide Prevention non-profit called the American Association of Suicidology named Andrew their Person of the Year for his work.

And today, March 2nd, Andrew's first album in about a decade has been released.

Titled "You're Not Alone", it is both like and unlike any previous work he has done. It is uplifting, powerful, and it fuckin parties.
PopMatters wrote:
Experiencing it feels like hearing a motivational TED Talk delivered by someone who shotgunned two Natty Ices prior to taking the stage.

The whole thing is available legally on his VEVO. I ask you to join me and Andrew in partying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbmarEjmXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EupMUsb50

Thank you for your consideration, and please remember:
enhanced-buzz-orig-16218-1380771841-8.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
This may seem silly, but Andrew WK's music, and even his philosophy, have gotten me through some rough times and I would like to share that with you all. Party Hard.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
Chincymcchilla on

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I honestly do not believe there is any love stronger or more pure than Andrew W.K's love of partying.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It’s friday...let’s get a party going.

• Options
    Oh also he did an AMA recently for the new album if you want to see how he tries to interact with normal humans:

And yes, of course, someone asked:

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I honestly do not believe there is any lover stronger or more pure than Andrew W.K's love of partying.

I think what makes his whole thing work for me is I dont think be has a scrap of irony in his while body

When he says partying saved his life and he thinks it can save yours I genuinely believe that he believes that to be true

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    andrew w.k. is on the mount rushmore of people who have helped me through my roughest times, along with charles bronson, la parka, and chris gethard

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    andrew wk is good people

• Options
    andrew w.k. is on the mount rushmore of people who have helped me through my roughest times, along with charles bronson, la parka, and chris gethard

I'm really digging the new album

It's so earnest that at times it sounds like he's been born again except instead of Jesus its Partying

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Andrew W.K. is probably my favorite living musician.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I saw Andrew WK on New Years Eve a few years ago.

It was pretty great.

He was tweeting with people that were at the show before he went on, and counted down from 666 to midnight.

• Options
    The craziest thing about this album is it has straight up Motivational Speech tracks in between sections and that I actually don't want to skip them

One of them is about learning to party with your demons

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So, a few years back, I found this column Andrew WK wrote in the Village Voice, responding to a reader's question about how he should deal with his depression and his desire to commit suicide. I hadn't really heard anything from Andrew since that first album came out, and wasn't really too much aware of him. I hadn't realized that his whole thing wasn't really a bit at all, but his actual philosophy on life.

Anyway, the whole thing is a great read and it really fucking struck me, but this bit in particular was probably the most touching, direct, non-pandering response to this type of question I've ever seen:
    So I say, contemplate suicide all you want, but don’t take those thoughts too seriously. Allow yourself to explore your inner thoughts and ideas without fear or commitment. You can think about things and not do them. You can always change your mind about anything you feel.

I don’t think you should kill yourself, but it’s not my decision to make. Being born wasn’t really your choice either, and in most cases, when and how you die is often out of your control. But it seems that if someone wants to end their life, they should absolutely be allowed to do it on their terms. After all, the only thing that each of us truly has ownership of is our body, and if we want to eradicate it, we can — even if it’s against other people’s beliefs.

As far as dealing with depression, I have a simple suggestion that I think could work like magic to heal your soul and lift your spirits. It’s a very simple thing called… Helping other people. Sometimes setting aside your own troubles and focusing on someone else’s in their time of need can have an incredibly powerful effect on relieving you of your own despair.

The whole thing is here: https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/06/04/ask-andrew-w-k-im-contemplating-suicide/

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    So, a few years back, I found this column Andrew WK wrote in the Village Voice, responding to a reader's question about how he should deal with his depression and his desire to commit suicide. I hadn't really heard anything from Andrew since that first album came out, and wasn't really too much aware of him. I hadn't realized that his whole thing wasn't really a bit at all, but his actual philosophy on life.

Anyway, the whole thing is a great read and it really fucking struck me, but this bit in particular was probably the most touching, direct, non-pandering response to this type of question I've ever seen:
    So I say, contemplate suicide all you want, but don’t take those thoughts too seriously. Allow yourself to explore your inner thoughts and ideas without fear or commitment. You can think about things and not do them. You can always change your mind about anything you feel.

I don’t think you should kill yourself, but it’s not my decision to make. Being born wasn’t really your choice either, and in most cases, when and how you die is often out of your control. But it seems that if someone wants to end their life, they should absolutely be allowed to do it on their terms. After all, the only thing that each of us truly has ownership of is our body, and if we want to eradicate it, we can — even if it’s against other people’s beliefs.

As far as dealing with depression, I have a simple suggestion that I think could work like magic to heal your soul and lift your spirits. It’s a very simple thing called… Helping other people. Sometimes setting aside your own troubles and focusing on someone else’s in their time of need can have an incredibly powerful effect on relieving you of your own despair.

The whole thing is here: https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/06/04/ask-andrew-w-k-im-contemplating-suicide/

Yeah like

The thing is, when I tell people he became a motivational speaker they usually laugh

You don't expect that to mean "No, but like a really good one".

He's really good at articulating his philosophy and though the ideas are simple sometimes thats all you need.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

for me, it's Andrew WK and Gentleman Jervis Cottonbelly

the two people I've heard most eloquently talk about the struggle of living with anxiety and depression, and the power and importance of fighting and pushing through and seeing the joy and hope on the other side, even when you're at your worst

which is, in no small part because of them, a huge part of my life philosophy

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

for me, it's Andrew WK and Gentleman Jervis Cottonbelly

the two people I've heard most eloquently talk about the struggle of living with anxiety and depression, and the power and importance of fighting and pushing through and seeing the joy and hope on the other side, even when you're at your worst

which is, in no small part because of them, a huge part of my life philosophy

I'm sorta glad to hear I'm not the only one, because on its face it seems sort of ridiculous to base a lot of your thought on people like this

Not that I've ever been embarrassed about it but I guess I'm glad its not just me

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ooh, definitely looking forward to this track-
    10-In-Your-Darkest-Moments.gif

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i still come back to this every so often
    https://youtu.be/amUrLhYA0ZU

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this says more about the state of the world or just the state of my mind, but seeing the Thread title and reading the OP I was just saying to my self "please don't be dead" over and over again. So relieved that Andrew is still alive and partying and I have a new album to check out! Double score!

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this says more about the state of the world or just the state of my mind, but seeing the Thread title and reading the OP I was just saying to my self "please don't be dead" over and over again. So relieved that Andrew is still alive and partying and I have a new album to check out! Double score!

He can't die

For his being is not flesh and blood like ours

(I'm sorry I scared you)

• Options

He can't die

For his being is not flesh and blood like ours

(I'm sorry I scared you)
    We're cool man. It had one of the best possible endings.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love reading up on the crazy conspiracy theory that Andrew was replaced early in his career by a double named Steev Mike

Also did you know Andrew did a whole cover album of songs from the Gundam franchise

https://youtu.be/zILVdHewOZ8

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i did and it's great

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Holy shit Andrew WK was the guy who did Ready To Die. I'd heard that before but I somehow never connected the dots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0TzUNti3rY

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    He's mellowed out a smidge

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This evening I finally have time to listen to his new album.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    They gave it an 8.6 on reissue though

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16836-i-get-wet/
    Let me get it out of the way and welcome everyone who clicked here with the sole hope of witnessing Pitchfork's biggest statistical mea culpa ever. Ten years is a long time for sour grapes to ferment, and I hope they're delicious. Perhaps you've heard that we were not particularly kind to Andrew W.K. the first time around. I obviously disagree with Ryan Schreiber's initial assessment, but even if it weren't poor form to publicly air out your boss for opinions he held a decade prior, I'm in no position to judge. I, too, am trying to live down an equally regrettable (if far more obscure) review of I Get Wet for a student newspaper that went in the completely opposite direction, praising it not so much for its musical value as its ability to combine with Adderall and Keystone Ice to form an outgoing college senior's Holy Trinity of nihilistic intoxication. It was and is a record that inspires extreme reactions. And a lot of us seemingly did I Get Wet a great disservice trying to intellectualize it from both sides. Now here we are 10 years later and nothing has changed about the record except our relationship to it. Even though critics of Andrew W.K. were often branded as the fun police and his fans considered fools or incurable ironists, I Get Wet is a singular record, and your opinion of it can't possibly make a larger point about anything else. It just is.

• Options
    Pitchfork is pretty dumb a lot of the time, yes. They gave Childish Gambino's "Camp" a 1.6, and "The Boy With the Arab Strap" like a 0.8.

And, of course, they gave "Pinkerton" like a 7, which is so wrong that they took it off the site.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    To be honest I think the new album is Just Okay, but I'm glad that it happened and I do love I Get Wet and Andrew as a person

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Pinkerton is a 9.5, easily

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    To be honest I think the new album is Just Okay, but I'm glad that it happened and I do love I Get Wet and Andrew as a person

I dont think it has as high of highs but i genuinely like listening to it the whole way through

• Options
    edited March 2018
    i immediately started it again from the beginning the first time i finished listening

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    So I had some time to listen to the new album and it's solid. A bit different sure, but I enjoyed it and it's clear that Andrew poured his heart into this. It will hold a special place for me as I have a wonderful new memory tied to this album that I want to share.

I mentioned to @MusicDragon that Andrew W.K. had a new album out and she didn't seem to know who I was talking about, so I pulled up the thread figuring seeing the images of him in the OP would trigger her memory. It did not. In fact she informed me that she had never heard of the guy, an obvious failing on my part that was quickly remedied with the help of Chincy's excellent summarization. She read the OP and watched the video for Party Hard and the others in the OP excluding the ones from the new album. I figured that would give her a good idea of the guy and what we could expect from the new album. I pulled up the album on Spotify, but before hitting play I asked her this question: "So what do you think this is going to sound like?" She replied, "Party, party, party. Party, party, party." and I clicked play on "The Power of Partying" only to hear those exact words repeated. We both burst out laughing and hi-fives were given. I replied with "I think you've got a pretty good handle on this." Thank you @Chincymcchilla for your part in making this memory.

• Options
    So I had some time to listen to the new album and it's solid. A bit different sure, but I enjoyed it and it's clear that Andrew poured his heart into this. It will hold a special place for me as I have a wonderful new memory tied to this album that I want to share.

I mentioned to @MusicDragon that Andrew W.K. had a new album out and she didn't seem to know who I was talking about, so I pulled up the thread figuring seeing the images of him in the OP would trigger her memory. It did not. In fact she informed me that she had never heard of the guy, an obvious failing on my part that was quickly remedied with the help of Chincy's excellent summarization. She read the OP and watched the video for Party Hard and the others in the OP excluding the ones from the new album. I figured that would give her a good idea of the guy and what we could expect from the new album. I pulled up the album on Spotify, but before hitting play I asked her this question: "So what do you think this is going to sound like?" She replied, "Party, party, party. Party, party, party." and I clicked play on "The Power of Partying" only to hear those exact words repeated. We both burst out laughing and hi-fives were given. I replied with "I think you've got a pretty good handle on this." Thank you @Chincymcchilla for your part in making this memory.

Hey no problem! Glad I could help!

• Options
    Andrew and a piano. 3 songs/pieces. He is always having such a good time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjX7KfTiYTA

• Options
    Apparently Andrew W.K. did a Tiny Desk Concert back in 2009, and NPR had no idea what to expect. So he played two improv piano pieces.

https://www.npr.org/2009/11/30/120758328/andrew-w-k-tiny-desk-concert

(they're not actually amazing but it's just perfectly in character to do something like that).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    God, I love the tiny desk series.

Off topic, but if anyone's interested, check out Ben Folds and Moon Hooch. Two of the absolute best, weirdest ones in the entire series.

• Options
    Oh shit I just remembered I haven't heard the CHVRCHES tiny desk concert in a while. I should relisten to that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Seeing Andrew WK play live at some rec center on my college campus in like 2005 or 2006 was probably the most fun I've ever had at a show that didn't take place in a basement. It was absolutely amazing.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg