As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Hey, posted in the old thread before I saw this one.

What does SnS mean?

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

What does SnS mean?

Sword & Shield

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

What does SnS mean?

Scratch and Sniff

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

What does SnS mean?

SOS and Suicide

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Sword and Shield gets ignored a lot, but there's nothing quite like a good SnS player for control.

Having a great player in a group who knows how to use it properly (and is built for control) can mean the monster never gets a chance to do anything but stand/lie there and get hit.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Monster Hunter World Numbers: Over 7.5 Million.

A bit over 2.5 Million of those in Japan.

Which means 5 Million for the rest of the world so far.

Oh, to put this in another perspective.

This is now Capcom's best selling game in the history of the company.

I think that means we're getting G-Rank.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    In my quest to get to sub-ten on White Winds (which, incidentally, is making my HR skyrocket) I've come across some time-intensive parts of my playstyle that need to be refined

1. My palico actually distracting monsters a lot is both a boon and a curse. It takes the heat off of me, but it also makes them less predictable, which can make all the difference when I'm trying to land a power charged upswing in their face and they suddenly turn to glare at my cat. Little buddy definitely does damage, but would it be more efficient to go in without him? I wonder

2. Flash bombing flying monsters is of course a boon, but it introduces more elements of unpredictability. Legiana and Rathalos have a tendency to charge around in random directions when blinded, which stretches out the time for hitting them by quite a ways. With later flash bombs this isn't a problem, and I actually prefer it when they recover faster because it lets me focus on their heads while they're shaking it off, but I may need to look at alternative ways to knock them out of the air. Maybe slinger ammo that's being dropped by the monsters as I wail on them? Does it work on Legiana and Rathalos as well as it does on Xeno?

3. More generally, Rathalos and Diablos running back and forth like assholes is a serious time drain. Should I save my traps just for them, to drop when they start scrambling?

There's a lot of variables to consider, here

dN0T6ur.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Whats a G-rank?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Monster Hunter World Numbers: Over 7.5 Million.

A bit over 2.5 Million of those in Japan.

Which means 5 Million for the rest of the world so far.

Oh, to put this in another perspective.

This is now Capcom's best selling game in the history of the company.

I think that means we're getting G-Rank.

Probably getting x y and z rank too.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Whats a G-rank?

I assume it's another tier of monsters/armors/weapons like High Rank is to Low Rank?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd show how much health is left if you fail a quest. Tried to 15 minute solo some tempereds and kept running out of time sometime after I mega barreled them. Too much time chasing and roar'd.

• CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

That's a whole lot of effort and math being done by people who forget that it doesn't matter if your weapon does more damage when attacking a post if in the real-world you bounce off of elder dragons because you only have Blue sharpness instead of White. Sacrificing damage because you bounced immediately covers the difference that like a 10 raw attack value difference would otherwise make.

Naphtali wrote: »
    Whats a G-rank?

I assume it's another tier of monsters/armors/weapons like High Rank is to Low Rank?

Yes. The monsters also typically gain new attacks, new behaviors, new variants, and traditionally there are G-rank only monsters as well.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Whats a G-rank?

Sort of. See in previous iterations of the series there is indeed an even higher rank called G rank. In Japan getting this usually meant that after buying the base game you had to buy a standalone expansion of the base game with G rank content released a few months to a year later. In America we usually got just the second version with G rank baked in.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Calebros wrote: »
    Whats a G-rank?

Yes. The monsters also typically gain new attacks, new behaviors, new variants, and traditionally there are G-rank only monsters as well.

I'm all for new armor/weapons and monster variants. That seems like the best/easiest way to add more life on to the game.

That being said, I'm kind of hoping for new zones and completely new monsters as well.

That's a whole lot of effort and math being done by people who forget that it doesn't matter if your weapon does more damage when attacking a post if in the real-world you bounce off of elder dragons because you only have Blue sharpness instead of White. Sacrificing damage because you bounced immediately covers the difference that like a 10 raw attack value difference would otherwise make.

It is why I am not head over heels for the nergy lance.

White sharpness or bust for me.

Mkay, my turn for a question.

So I've got my Handicraft Charm at level 2, and have all the materials for level 3 except a blue commendation that's still all ??? on the upgrade screen. My buddy told me those ones only come from the HR100 quest & the quest for completing every other quest in the game at the earliest. Is that accurate?

G-rank gear also usually has more skills and slots for more specialization.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    More in the preacher anime slashes everything.

https://xboxclips.com/JudasDubois/a7fb09cd-8a3c-4301-945e-f07123857dd9

I call this "You can run but you can't because fuck you flash bomb" Working Title.

https://xboxclips.com/JudasDubois/6b2c46e2-2ec3-4e16-b06f-8a7f1e32718c

Flash me? Oh no Fuck you

https://xboxclips.com/JudasDubois/0c52717a-9bdf-42d9-a592-85cffd50f931

Not an anime slash, but I liked the hold my beer before the finish

https://xboxclips.com/JudasDubois/6b47cd47-9c57-4d44-9757-9673f16ac2ce

Not my cleanest kill, But you try anime slashing this dick by yourself he's like the worst

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

So I've got my Handicraft Charm at level 2, and have all the materials for level 3 except a blue commendation that's still all ??? on the upgrade screen. My buddy told me those ones only come from the HR100 quest & the quest for completing every other quest in the game at the earliest. Is that accurate?

Completing all 1-8 star optional quests will indeed grant you the reward you desire. I am almost there myself.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    furlion wrote: »

Completing all 1-8 star optional quests will indeed grant you the reward you desire. I am almost there myself.

You can join in when other people post it. It is how I got my handicraft charm to full early.

furlion wrote: »

Oh nice, I'm pretty close to that as well, at least for 6/7 star. Only HR46 so I'm still getting there. I was just afraid I was going to have to wait forever (relatively).

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Picked up World this weekend. Started off with the Bow.

Man, this game sure has a lot of QOL changed compared to previous games, doesn't it? Automatic map-marking of gather points? The ability to track a monster by prints and elimination of Paintballs? A single contiguous map, meaning no more monsters disappearing down screen transition tunnels? Canteens and equipment changing during hunts? Wishlists that inform me when I can make a piece of equipment? Equipment downgrades/refunds? Equipment changing outside of my personal room? It's all pretty amazing. And the monsters have been interesting Great Jagras is disgusting but neat.

My biggest complaint is the tiny, tiny font for in-game text.

Anyway, I hope to make some progress this week and eventually get online.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hi new Thread!

I am Gun Lance main with Charge Blade as my mistress. I've recently built a Xeno SnS to deal with those pesky Rathians/aloses that I've needed to take care of.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    More in the preacher anime slashes everything.

https://xboxclips.com/JudasDubois/a7fb09cd-8a3c-4301-945e-f07123857dd9

Who kills Lumus? What's wrong with you?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    In case you were wondering why I was hunting Kirin. I stupidly decided to combo coral zone quests and 8 star quests. It wasn't too bad, but Kirin can be tricky. I got lucky 3 of my runs had my little cat bombing bros and so that got me some mega hits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Whats a G-rank?

I'm all for new armor/weapons and monster variants. That seems like the best/easiest way to add more life on to the game.

That being said, I'm kind of hoping for new zones and completely new monsters as well.

There's an in-game map that is only half-filled with the current maps we have, very possibly signifying we are going to get new maps.

This is the map: https://i.imgur.com/h5QM4Ca.jpg

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

true strong slash has super armor/minds eye, it doesnt bounce

also which elder are you bouncing off of due to blue? only thing i can think of is Nergi hard black horns, but if you let his horns get hard as a GS, you arent doing enough true strongs on his face

J3qcnBP.png
    Whats a G-rank?

g rank has almost always added 1-3 new maps, plus new boss arenas and zones

and between 5-15 new monsters generally

J3qcnBP.png
    G rank is a lot more than just turning the numbers up.

also which elder are you bouncing off of due to blue? only thing i can think of is Nergi hard black horns, but if you let his horns get hard as a GS, you arent doing enough true strongs on his face

There is also a 12% damage in increase in raw from white.

Also an increase in elemental. But the numbers are more annoying.

I can't imagine capcom sees the numbers, sees the positive press and then doesn't put out a ton of content. If anything they are probably behind because they did not guess the recption would be this strong.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Entaru wrote: »

yeah the difference between vaal hazak with white and jagras with blue is about 15 damage.

but you need to sacrifice focus to get the same 98% crit build, which lowers dps drastically

the 300 dragon ele is 30 overall, but GS hits slow enough that the proc is neglible. Only azure los and pink ian are super weak to dragon, rest take okay damage but nothing to write home about

elderseal is also not great, doesnt proc often/quick enough

cest la vie

J3qcnBP.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I made an anti-Kushala set yesterday, which includes the Nergi IG. When he's on the ground and I'm doing a combo on his face, it's flinch, flinch, flinch, fall to the ground. Really good stuff.

Entaru wrote: »

yeah the difference between vaal hazak with white and jagras with blue is about 15 damage.

but you need to sacrifice focus to get the same 98% crit build, which lowers dps drastically

the 300 dragon ele is 30 overall, but GS hits slow enough that the proc is neglible. Only azure los and pink ian are super weak to dragon, rest take okay damage but nothing to write home about

elderseal is also not great, doesnt proc often/quick enough

cest la vie

I am only talking on white.

You.are right on all those other points.

Also what do I know I am probably going to upgrade the bagel lance before any of them simply because the shield looks cool.

I may be a hobo hunter but I likes what I likes.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    My biggest wish for the game right now is more monsters.

It needs more monsters for ice,lightning, and water. Barioth, Zinogre, Ludroth (or just Plesioth, it always made nice gear, and adds more sleep kit too). Ideally, Gammoth, Lagiacrus, Mizutsuze, Agnaktor too. Then we have three non-elder fights for the basic elements.

Bring Gigginox back as an alternate poison line and you can use the subspecies for lightnimg (and it shares a skeleton with Barioth if you want to not add leviathans, but Nibelsnarf is more water...)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I just want more creatures with a weakness to fire since fire weapons have multiple paths in most trees, but nothing really that needs to be hit with a fire weapon. Less lightning weakness monsters please.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Whats a G-rank?

There's an in-game map that is only half-filled with the current maps we have, very possibly signifying we are going to get new maps.

Where is this in game?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Whats a G-rank?

Where is this in game?

In your own room, middle tier.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited March 2018

Kushala, Teostra in some places, even a Lavasioth when hardened you bounce off when blue. Uragaan too.

And yes the platonic ideal of the GS user will do perfectly timed TSS forever and never bounce but in reality that's never how it goes

Calebros on