As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m going to use a hero steamstone to augment one of my glaives, probably the Nergi one. Is there any reason to not go health?
    I mean, Insect Glaive has some options for healing when it's unsheathed (Kinsect Green Essence, and also green clouds if you go that route). I don't think that healing while unsheathed is a priority for it. Lance and Gunlance greatly benefit, because the pack-up animation is so long, and you want to stay unsheathed and protected when you are using those. Switch Axe also has a long packing animation, so Health makes more sense for it.

But it mostly just comes down to personal preference, in the end.

I could never see aug'ing for health. That's admitting you'll get hit which is failure.

I didn't figure you for the type that would wait until his vision started getting hazy before conceding that you needed stitches, Preacher. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Calebros wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »

That's a whole lot of effort and math being done by people who forget that it doesn't matter if your weapon does more damage when attacking a post if in the real-world you bounce off of elder dragons because you only have Blue sharpness instead of White. Sacrificing damage because you bounced immediately covers the difference that like a 10 raw attack value difference would otherwise make.

White sharpness doesn’t bounce off elders?

Not sure if you're asking a question or expressing doubt but I'll assume you're asking and answer by saying no it doesn't, unless there are certain spots that would need Purple sharpness to eat through. Not 100% sure about every single part of every elder, some might still bounce on White, but I don't think so.

Just asking, I still don’t really know what sharpness interacts with.

Gotcha.

So every monster part (wings, legs, face, etc.) has a hardness level that you need to meet or exceed to not bounce off of. Bouncing an attack reduces damage and doubles the sharpness loss on your weapon, interrupts your combo, and leaves you momentarily helpless while you're reeling. A lot of the more difficult monsters are literally harder than the earlier ones. For instance Kushala Daora is made out of metal so certain parts like its wings that are all metal and no flesh are extra hard.

You'll notice that early game weapons tend to only go up to yellow or green sharpness, whereas late game swords go into blue and white and, if they ever put G-rank in, purple. Sharpness level also lends a percentile increase in raw damage, though that is not quite as important as just being able to hit a monster without bouncing off of it every 2 seconds.

I did notice the bounce off and especially with Kushala’s wings, but every single weapon I’ve used against elders is blue not white, so I just assumed those were parts you were meant to avoid hitting entirely since they’ve been breaking my combos.

just to be a nerd

there isnt actually a "hardness' level for different parts

its the hitzone

it doesnt even reduce damage! if you had minds eye, you wouldnt bounce, but you would do the same damage as a bounce

low hitzones (such as kushula wings) give you grey damage and bounces. not all greyzones will give you bounces, but all bounces will be on greyzones!

sharpness affects this as it just multiplies your damage!

bascially just avoid grey damage zones and youll be fine, regardless of sharpness

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I do really like the reach on long sword for just about all mobs, sometimes I'd hit Kirin when he pranced by me but the slash just reached him. Hell I tripped him doing that once.

You're making me want to turn longsword and be like everybody else. I love my dual blades to death, but I *am* jealous of weapons with more reach.
    If it helps, picture your combo finisher getting stuffed by a roar

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I’m going to use a hero steamstone to augment one of my glaives, probably the Nergi one. Is there any reason to not go health?
    I mean, Insect Glaive has some options for healing when it's unsheathed (Kinsect Green Essence, and also green clouds if you go that route). I don't think that healing while unsheathed is a priority for it. Lance and Gunlance greatly benefit, because the pack-up animation is so long, and you want to stay unsheathed and protected when you are using those. Switch Axe also has a long packing animation, so Health makes more sense for it.

But it mostly just comes down to personal preference, in the end.

I could never see aug'ing for health. That's admitting you'll get hit which is failure.

I didn't figure you for the type that would wait until his vision started getting hazy before conceding that you needed stitches, Preacher. :P

I solo naked. I only wear armor for others benefit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I do really like the reach on long sword for just about all mobs, sometimes I'd hit Kirin when he pranced by me but the slash just reached him. Hell I tripped him doing that once.

You're making me want to turn longsword and be like everybody else. I love my dual blades to death, but I *am* jealous of weapons with more reach.

Pfft, can long sword do this? (final boss)

• Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular

That's a whole lot of effort and math being done by people who forget that it doesn't matter if your weapon does more damage when attacking a post if in the real-world you bounce off of elder dragons because you only have Blue sharpness instead of White. Sacrificing damage because you bounced immediately covers the difference that like a 10 raw attack value difference would otherwise make.

Not sure if you're asking a question or expressing doubt but I'll assume you're asking and answer by saying no it doesn't, unless there are certain spots that would need Purple sharpness to eat through. Not 100% sure about every single part of every elder, some might still bounce on White, but I don't think so.

Gotcha.

So every monster part (wings, legs, face, etc.) has a hardness level that you need to meet or exceed to not bounce off of. Bouncing an attack reduces damage and doubles the sharpness loss on your weapon, interrupts your combo, and leaves you momentarily helpless while you're reeling. A lot of the more difficult monsters are literally harder than the earlier ones. For instance Kushala Daora is made out of metal so certain parts like its wings that are all metal and no flesh are extra hard.

You'll notice that early game weapons tend to only go up to yellow or green sharpness, whereas late game swords go into blue and white and, if they ever put G-rank in, purple. Sharpness level also lends a percentile increase in raw damage, though that is not quite as important as just being able to hit a monster without bouncing off of it every 2 seconds.

I did notice the bounce off and especially with Kushala’s wings, but every single weapon I’ve used against elders is blue not white, so I just assumed those were parts you were meant to avoid hitting entirely since they’ve been breaking my combos.

just to be a nerd

its the hitzone

it doesnt even reduce damage! if you had minds eye, you wouldnt bounce, but you would do the same damage as a bounce

low hitzones (such as kushula wings) give you grey damage and bounces. not all greyzones will give you bounces, but all bounces will be on greyzones!

bascially just avoid grey damage zones and youll be fine, regardless of sharpness

you are correct regarding the reduction of damage being a myth, I forgot about Gaijinhunters video from a couple years ago debunking it.

my apologies for inaccurate info! that being said, you do less DPS because your combo got interrupted, but that also means that Mind's Eye makes it so your damage output is the same regardless of how hard the monsters part is

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Madpoet wrote: »

Nah because a long sword doesn't have to jump to hit him in the face... Also that whole tail ride you did like two spirit combo hits of damage.

#justsayingbeestingssuck

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

Gotcha.

just to be a nerd

its the hitzone

you are correct regarding the reduction of damage being a myth, I forgot about Gaijinhunters video from a couple years ago debunking it.

my apologies for inaccurate info! that being said, you do less DPS because your combo got interrupted, but that also means that Mind's Eye makes it so your damage output is the same regardless of how hard the monsters part is

its cool g

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Hah I think I'll make a build for this just for the novelty of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2p9MICAPrA

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So I've decided that, instead of using the hero streamstone on the Nergi IG, I'm going to augment the Kadachi IG with health regen and try that to see how I like it before using the rarer item.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Watching someone do a naked hunt and he just got fainted by an HR Juri that rocked him to his core. He's triggered, so badly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

<3. I need to work on pulling that off more reliably.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So is there an "optimal" way of getting decorations for sniping fodder? Gleaming Streamstones don't seem tough to come by, but what is the fastest/best way to just get gems in general? It seems crazy that I have more Streamstones for the melding than I do decorations to use in said melding.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Between T2 and T3 investigations, whichever one will get you the most purple boxes/time spent. Because their drop rates for R7 and R8 decorations are effectively negligible compared to just getting more purple boxes. R8 decorations basically get you a full snipe, and R7 is like 60% of a full snipe. Lower level decorations are pretty meh in terms of the number needed.

The OMG T2 ARE THE BEST crowd I feel are being a bit too hyperbolic. Between eating/joining/waiting/loading/quest clear wait/loading screen the time saved from being able to capture T2 monsters a little bit earlier doesn't end up being that big a deal. # of boxes is still probably the most important factor. At least Gaijinhunter has made it so that T3 investigations are a lot easier to join now.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i like health regen a lot.

the damage increases from raw or affinity are small, and being able to heal off minor damage like the poo gass in rotten vale or teostra's fire is pretty value. getting a knockdown on a monster is half hp for free.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Another redonkulous speed kill (not from me, obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HymbcnTgIis&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;a=

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Man that's nothing I've seen Frawsrst do that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I finished the Sapphire Star's Guidance. That was pretty nuts!

Two things.

1. Does it seem to anyone else that a lot of the "Congratulations!" dialogue is hinting at expansions and new areas and the like?

2. If I take long enough fighting the beasties... is there a chance they could spawn at the same time and throw down with each other? Or will they only spawn in if they'll do so alone?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Man that's nothing I've seen Frawsrst do that.

80% of the time.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

<3. I need to work on pulling that off more reliably.

I've got it down well enough, but I have no idea how they start it from a flat surface like that. That knowledge would be game changing.

• Options
    First hero stone spent on my bazel lance.

Wooo

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    A Dragonpiercer bow shot is a commitment once you hit the buttons, right? There's no way to cancel the wind-up or dodge out of it?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    A Dragonpiercer bow shot is a commitment once you hit the buttons, right? There's no way to cancel the wind-up or dodge out of it?

Yep! Nope!

In exchange, it hits for stupid amounts of damage when specced properly.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I love using it. But it's like using Element Discharge on the Swaxe; gotta time it just right.

But it's so much fun to wach it blow a tail right off, or fire down the middle of a cucumber-shaped monster for So Many Hits.

• Options
    I'm starting to feel that way about Wyvernblast. Once you figure out how to use those little fuckers, they become terrifying amounts of damage, just over and over.

Side note, I think, THINK, mind, that the Xeno set bonus works on their explosions. I know for a fact that I've had a mine go off more than it should, but I don't remember whether I saw the proc announcement.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wyvernblast isn't nearly as much of a commitment as the dragon piercer though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Bleh, kind of in a rut. I need 90+ multiplayer missions but I really kind of don't want to spend all that time farming the same SOS missions that people put up. If you hop into random expeditions how long does it take to tick off a "quest" worth of expedition time? If a person hops out of an expedition, does the bonus HP for multiplayer get reset?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Bleh, kind of in a rut. I need 90+ multiplayer missions but I really kind of don't want to spend all that time farming the same SOS missions that people put up. If you hop into random expeditions how long does it take to tick off a "quest" worth of expedition time? If a person hops out of an expedition, does the bonus HP for multiplayer get reset?

Just farm investigations. I see SOS for them all the time, both normal and tempered.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Discovered today you can do the DB spine rider on the sides of downed monsters. Man if it lined up so you could do it down both ways one after the other that would be some insane damage.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Just saw monsters fighting each other over territory for the first time. That was amazing.

And now I have my first elemental bow. Hooray for downgrading!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Beat HR tempered Kirin's ass and got me an elementless gem that I promptly shoved into my Diablos Shatterer hammer. I also made an Axe of Demons from spare parts so I can swap back and forth

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ran 2 tempered Kushala investigations last night. First one got me an elementaless gem, next one got me handicraft. There goes my luck for the next 50 or so hunts.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

If it helps, picture your combo finisher getting stuffed by a roar
    Dual Blades has a similar problem. Turn on Demon Mode, start the main combo, get 1 hit, ROAR... ROAR... watch your stamina deplete while you recover, turn Demon Mode off, run around like a squirrel on coffee.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Man, I love how affordable power coatings are.

I still should stock up on Nitroshrooms for in-hunt restocking, though.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I build earplugs into every DB set. No way I'm putting up with that headache.

That, 1 point of Flinch Free and 3 points of Stun Resist (because 90% of carts I've ever had were while stunned) make every fight go smoothly.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    So are all armors now one piece == one ability? It would seem like that would make mixing sets a lot easier to pull off.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So are all armors now one piece == one ability? It would seem like that would make mixing sets a lot easier to pull off.

Not all low rank armors, no. High rank has alpha and beta versions with the alpha having 2 skills and the beta having 1 plus gem slots. And yes they removed the need to accumulate a certain number of points just to activate the ability.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Not all low rank armors, no. High rank has alpha and beta versions with the alpha having 2 skills and the beta having 1 plus gem slots. And yes they removed the need to accumulate a certain number of points just to activate the ability.

Except for set bonuses, of course. Those you need two/three/four pieces of the armor depending on the set bonus.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Ah, so there's still a reason to go for a full set. Good to know.

But removing the old system is wonderful. I'm hoping that nixes some of the terrible grind for armors that was prevalent in previous games.

• Options
    The grind was just moved to decide rng.

It is much less annoying though.

Well most of the time. It can be frustrating when you just need one deco to make a set work better and you can't get it.