As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Question about the xeno 'jiiva fight.
    Is this a joke?
    Follow up question.
    No really, is this a joke?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Is this a joke?
    Follow up question.

Look Xeno's just weaponized the strongest move the monsters have:

Slowly walking.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    I was just yesterday splatted from full by a Diablos. Course, low rank armor in High Rank does that. But basically I went to fight a Barroth to get some materials to make a high rank armor, and the game left me literally under a Diablos to start the mission. I ran away, misremembered which ledge I could jump off from because I haven't played in a month, and got charged from full to cart while turning around.

Second cart in the game, and amusingly both to Diablos!

Being a couple upgrade cycles behind on armor in understandable. I just can't reconcile my play experience with people who claim one-shot faints are a common occurrence. About a third of my hunts have been bow, so It isn't that I'm blademaster only. I haven't been killed in a single hit outside testing out Diablos on a low rank wildspire quest when you first open it up. Stuff like an Uragaan superpound, Nerg dive, and Teostra bang couldn't quite do it.

I am being real here, the end goal is trying to understand my work bro's problems. He quit the game due to monsters killing him in one hit and he says the same stuff you guys do that he is upgraded armor etc. I figured it was just we had different meanings for "one-shot" deaths but many forumers are backing him up so I am at a loss.

I have heard hr tempered kirin will kill in one hit from any lightning

I had also heard that about nerg’s dive, who I’m about to fight for the first time

I’ll have to keep on fighting to find that answer

depends on your defenses with tempered kirin, and which lightning bolt it is. the huge circle aoe one probably will one shot

Depends on your defenses. Nothing from tempered can one-shot you when you're sitting at 40 lightning resist though (resist is linear percentage, so 40 resist = 40% damage reduction iirc).

Will assume from now on that talk of one-shots is a result of fighting unarmored in an attempt to cause a damage overflow and heal from attacks instead

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Xeno’Jiva for me is:
    - aim bow at head: Out of Range
    - she makes one step
    - turn 180 degrees
    - aim bow at tail: Out of Range

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Had to break for meal prep, but HR alpha odo set is done and soon as I turn in one more bounty, the armor will be upgraded to the max allowed for my current hunter rank. Should make tackling the rest of the pre nergi HR stuff a bit easier.

Took a lot of dead odos and I honestly thought I would have a longer time trying to get a Odoragon gem but I popped a SOS flare with a silver/gold reward investigation, some pro hunters jumped in and within the space of 8 minutes odo was dead and I was the proud owner of a shiny new gem.

Went ahead and crafted the odoragon lance too, to complete the set. I am ready to murder in the name of high fashion.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    all of the Oda weapons are so sexy

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Haha, that's a pretty good coincidence. I was just gonna say, I wanted to try a new lance setup so I farmed Oda, crafted his lance and built up a new crit set, since I actually have some of the decos to support it.

Oda Lance
    Dragonking Eyepatch w weakness exploit deco
    Dober Mail beta w crit boost deco
    Ingot gloves beta w health boost deco
    Oda Coil beta w elementless deco
    Dober Legs beta w crit eye deco
    Ironside Charm

Giving me Guard 3, Weakness Exploit 3, attack boost 4, crit boost 1, crit eye 3, and health boost 3.

Meta af probably

Should be...95%? affinity on a weak point? The fashion is... okay for a certain sort of preference ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since the crit chance is already so high, I could probably dump the theoretical augments into healing and raw damage.

Only big problem is a lack of slots. There is no room for anything whatsoever.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Lavasioth is still a slow, tedious fight

Even with the Brazenbreak's fire effect to keep the armor from hardening, that takes forever. I think the head actually stops being a weak point once you break it, which is... a design decision

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Haha, that's a pretty good coincidence. I was just gonna say, I wanted to try a new lance setup so I farmed Oda, crafted his lance and built up a new crit set, since I actually have some of the decos to support it.

Oda Lance
    Dragonking Eyepatch w weakness exploit deco
    Dober Mail beta w crit boost deco
    Ingot gloves beta w health boost deco
    Oda Coil beta w elementless deco
    Dober Legs beta w crit eye deco
    Ironside Charm

Giving me Guard 3, Weakness Exploit 3, attack boost 4, crit boost 1, crit eye 3, and health boost 3.

Meta af probably

Should be...95%? affinity on a weak point? The fashion is... okay for a certain sort of preference ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Since the crit chance is already so high, I could probably dump the theoretical augments into healing and raw damage.

Only big problem is a lack of slots. There is no room for anything whatsoever.

I made a set in similar vein but didn't save. It was based on teostra power so id never have to sharpen.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Is this a joke?
    Follow up question.

Look Xeno's just weaponized the strongest move the monsters have:

Slowly walking.

It sucks standing behind a monster, yet its foot grazes you as it's walking away from you which sends you flying

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Or when you knock it over, and it's so tall that doing so puts it so far out of range that you can't even hit it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh a speed sharpening gem! That's not trash!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Also, finally maxed out monster research for the achievement last night

Most of my Elder grinding has been with Vaal, so I had to fight Kushala a bunch last night for research. During that time, I got like 4 Kushala gems, yet I still have 0 Vaal gems

Thanks Rollbama

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Or when you knock it over, and it's so tall that doing so puts it so far out of range that you can't even hit it.

This has become a struggle as I've been learning Hammer

"Alright! It's knocked down, time to smash the head! Shit, it's way over there, shit my team is in the way, shit its flailing pushed me away from its head mid combo"

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options

This has become a struggle as I've been learning Hammer

"Alright! It's knocked down, time to smash the head! Shit, it's way over there, shit my team is in the way, shit its flailing pushed me away from its head mid combo"

Every monster has a place where it's best to stand in order to hit its head. Some are more forgiving than others! Something like Vaal or Kushala, you actually want to be standing so that you're looking down the length of their bodies; if you try to stand to one side of their head, their flailing might actually push you past them so your'e swinging at nothing.

With Xeno, it's best to either just go for the feet or the chest, once the head is broken

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get a solid supply of Dash Extract and Nourishing Drinks or whatever that ones called?

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is there a way to get a solid supply of Dash Extract and Nourishing Drinks or whatever that ones called?

Palico expeditions to any place with Odogaron and I think Dodogama? Set the Argosy to bring back useable goods. Otherwise put on specimen gems and go bug hunting. This is for nourishing extracts

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    HexDex wrote: »
    I must be doing this game so, so wrong. I am like 55 hours in, working on taking down pink rathian.

I have no idea what my playstyle is, or even what weapon I really like.

Working with switch axe right now, and pink rathian has me heavily considering a ranged weapon.

I was in the same boat not sure what I liked I was swaping weapons every week finally found my fav after temp kirin so your not alone on that feeling. For rathian bring flash pods and flash bugs shoot em when he's flying.

Evil Monkey on

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I saw this Gaijin Hunter tweet and realized I had all the parts to make the set, plus I had a higher earplugs charm and some better decos, so I ended up with a hell of a set, imo

I basically added in a handicraft Jewel and three hungerless jewels so my stamina cap never drops, which is nice for both dual blades, bow, and IG. I made the enduring schisms, mostly for looks, and have been having a blast with dual blades. Works really well with both IG and DB so I'm pretty stoked

Arch on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    I must be doing this game so, so wrong. I am like 55 hours in, working on taking down pink rathian.

I have no idea what my playstyle is, or even what weapon I really like.

Working with switch axe right now, and pink rathian has me heavily considering a ranged weapon.

My melee strategy with Pink Rathian is to cut her tail off ASAP. She is far less deadly at close range without it. Then, yeah, flash pods or whatever for when she rages.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I stepped away to go do some tax return shopping, but I think my set has, if I recall

5/5 earplugs
    3/3 Flinch Free
    3/3 Power Prolonger
    2/3 Health boost
    2/3 Weakness Exploit
    2/3 Critical Boost
    3/3 Hunger resistance
    1/7 Attack Boost
    1/7 Handicraft
    Xeno set bonus

It's...pretty good. I'm pretty pleased. The skills bounce around depending on what weapon I have on (the enduring schisms only have single slots, but the Xeno Glaive has two 3-slots which is nuts and gets me to full weakness exploit and a rank of agitator, at the cost of the health boost, which I considered a good trade)

I look...well not bad. But I'm not always the biggest fan of the Xeno armor. I love it with my full Xeno+King Beetle helm, but the wings are sometimes a bit much.

And at least the enduring schisms look fucking SWEET

• Options
    That reminds me. I need to post up some of my sets again.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Earlier this week I hit the credits, jumped up straight to HR 29. Just now I did the Dual Bazel quest, jumped up to HR 47. I think I'm overdoing it with the multiple loadouts and weapons thing. Just hit 1mil zenny, though.

I did almost exactly the same thing. I had a bow of almost every element maxed out before i beat xeno. I think I'm up to 7 or 8 bows now that finished the workshop bow last night.
    Seriously, I may have a bow problem.
    i2720w8shg1t.jpg

Also, I just got the Bourgeois Hunter achievement a few minutes ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Also, finally maxed out monster research for the achievement last night

Most of my Elder grinding has been with Vaal, so I had to fight Kushala a bunch last night for research. During that time, I got like 4 Kushala gems, yet I still have 0 Vaal gems

Thanks Rollbama
    I'm the other way around

I have another five? Vaal gems after using a couple of them

I've had to meld two Daora gems and I still need at least one more

Elendil on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Even with the Brazenbreak's fire effect to keep the armor from hardening, that takes forever. I think the head actually stops being a weak point once you break it, which is... a design decision

piscine wyverns suck

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Piscine Wyverns need to go extinct.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

piscine wyverns suck

I don't mind Jyuratodus even! I would think Lavasioth was OK if it weren't for the fact that it takes me longer to kill than any other enemy in the game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

piscine wyverns suck

I don't mind Jyuratodus even! I would think Lavasioth was OK if it weren't for the fact that it takes me longer to kill than any other enemy in the game

ah but jyura is a new creature and thus made with more modern sensibilities

lavasioth debuted in 2009

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Y'all been fighting that no-good thing with its hardening face and disappearing weak spots for a decade?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    it skipped third gen and didn't show up again until generations, technically

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hooray I beat the Nergigante
    Oh... so that’s not the thing that beats the game and unlocks your rank huh
    Kinda felt like everything was building toward that guy, but ok here’s some more guys from nowhere

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    What is that? A crit boost deco?

Thank you game.

• Options
    Kinda felt like everything was building toward that guy, but ok here’s some more guys from nowhere

Its a real down hill slide from here.

Post game is great though.

• Options

Meaning it is substantially easier or is it like how the infernal torment pit of hell could be considered down hill

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Meaning it is substantially easier or is it like how the infernal torment pit of hell could be considered down hill

No I mean if you got through Nerg the rest are a pushovers in comparison.
    The game should have ended with Nerg doing a demon rage on the last boss.

Or better yet, Kirin

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Whats best on Diablo Clubs, affinity or damage? (affinity would make them 0% instead of minus 10%) kind of want to make the health augment in the second slot.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Now if I could just get a guard deco I could really break the game.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Whats best on Diablo Clubs, affinity or damage? (affinity would make them 0% instead of minus 10%) kind of want to make the health augment in the second slot.

What does that do, exactly? I’m not sure how crit works in this game. -10% seems bad, but 0% doesn’t seem too appealing either

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Crit is just 25% more damage on the hit, which is nice to have but it's not a huge deal

Because the non-elemental skill boosts the power of attack, attack is usually the best augment for diablos. You're getting a ton of affinity from skills like Weakness Exploit usually anyway

liEt3nH.png