As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Mueller Investigation Thread - in which Rudy Guiliani talks about obstruction

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The suits a good idea simply because its going to put more peons in the game making more depositions and statements, and every one of those peons is a liability to the overall attempt to shield Trump.

Each one of them is one more person looking to cover their own ass and one more person that needs to be coordinated in order to keep the Jenga wall of obstruction upright.

And even if it amounts to nothing, we should have Bengazi by now, that sideshows work on uranium in an almost subconscious way, and help keep any given scandal in the public emails.

Hell, just all the references to Watergate this elicits are probably a positive.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    "Pakistani mystery man"? "Wendy" Wasserman Schultz? What?

It's like the Soros stuff. It doesn't make sense unless you listen to a lot of conservative media and are thus clued in to their various insane conspiracy theories.

And Wendy is because he's a fucking moron.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Trump would have to get someone else through the nomination process.

I thought that he could just keep firing people until he got a interim person who'd do his bidding. At least wasn't that how it went down with the saturday night massacre?

Comey last night on Maddow pointed out that he expected Trump would have to fire the entire FBI to find someone to do that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I thought that he could just keep firing people until he got a interim person who'd do his bidding. At least wasn't that how it went down with the saturday night massacre?

Comey last night on Maddow pointed out that he expected Trump would have to fire the entire FBI to find someone to do that.

He wouldn't. He probably wouldn't have to go very far to find a toadie willing to do it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

He wouldn't. He probably wouldn't have to go very far to find a toadie willing to do it.

I’m sure the New York office would be willing to do the dirty work for trump if they weren’t too busy leaking information to Rudy or hosting a group read of Clinton Cash

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Getting into "everything is projection" but, well....we've found the Uranium One equivalent which is real.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/20/elliott-broidy-trump-russia-sanctions/
    SHORTLY AFTER PRESIDENT Donald Trump was inaugurated last year, top Republican fundraiser Elliott Broidy offered Russian gas giant Novatek a $26 million lobbying plan aimed at removing the company from a U.S. sanctions list, according to documents obtained by The Intercept.

Broidy is a Trump associate who was deputy finance chair of the Republican National Committee until he resigned last week amid reports that he had agreed to pay $1.6 million to a former Playboy model with whom he had an affair. But in February 2017, when he laid out his lobbying proposal for Novatek, he was acting as a well-connected businessman and longtime Republican donor in a bid to help the Russian company avoid sanctions imposed by the Obama administration. The 2014 sanctions were aimed at punishing Russia for annexing Crimea and supporting pro-Russia separatists in eastern Ukraine.

In February 2017, Broidy sent a draft of the plan by email to attorney Andrei Baev, then a Moscow- and London-based lawyer who represented major Russian energy companies for the firm Chadbourne & Parke LLP. Baev had already been communicating with Novatek about finding a way to lift U.S. sanctions.

Broidy proposed arranging meetings with key White House and congressional leaders and generating op-eds and other articles favorable to the Russian company, along with a full suite of lobbying activities to be undertaken by consultants brought on board. Yet even as he offered those services, Broidy was adamant that his company, Fieldcrest Advisors LLC, would not perform lobbying services but would hire others to do it. He suggested that parties to the deal sign a sweeping non-disclosure agreement that would shield their work from public scrutiny.

The plan is outlined in a series of emails and other documents obtained by The Intercept. Broidy and Baev did not dispute the authenticity of the exchanges but said the deal was never consummated.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is said company still under sanctions?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is said company still under sanctions?

Yes.

• Options
    I didn't quote the whole article, but it sounds like they didn't move forward, and even optimistically the goal was to have no sanctions by February 2019. So presumably, yes.

It also ties into the whole Qatar/UAE proxy war going on, where they're accusing Qatar for hacking him and getting the documents (which were provided anonymously) while he was supposedly getting paid by the UAE to try to come down hard on Qatar, so THAT'S a whole 'nother can of worms, which is getting outside the realm of this thread, even though it's still tied to Mueller.
    Broidy has worked to funnel money into the U.S. political system for others, however. Last month, the Associated Press reported that Broidy received millions of dollars from George Nadar, a witness in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation and a close confidant of Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed. AP reported that Broidy received that money weeks before he made personal donations to congressional campaigns in an effort to shape a bill critical of Qatar, which the United Arab Emirates is currently blockading. The New York Times also reported that Broidy was reimbursed by Nadar after he funded an October conference that was highly critical of Qatar, which was confirmed by documents obtained by The Intercept. The UAE has contracts with a private security company Broidy owns that are worth “hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to the Times.

Broidy has blamed Qatar for the hack and disclosure of his emails. His attorney wrote a public letter to the Qatari ambassador to the U.S. blaming the Gulf nation for spreading “false and stolen information about him,” and claiming that Broidy had “irrefutable forensic evidence tying Qatar to this unlawful attack.” Broidy has since filed a lawsuit seeking damages from the Qatari government.

The Qatari Embassy did not respond to The Intercept’s requests for comment. The documents were provided to The Intercept anonymously.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Well, if the point was to get a Team Trump answer, here you go:
    If this lawsuit proceeds, the Trump Campaign will be prepared to leverage the discovery process and explore the DNC’s now-secret records about the actual corruption they perpetrated to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election. Everything will be on the table, including:
    • How the DNC contributed to the fake dossier, using Fusion GPS along with the Clinton Campaign as the basis for the launch of a phony investigation.
    • Why the FBI was never allowed access to the DNC servers in the course of their investigation into the Clinton e-mail scandal.
    • How the DNC conspired to hand Hillary Clinton the nomination over Bernie Sanders.
    • How officials at the highest levels of the DNC colluded with the news media to influence the outcome of the DNC nomination.
    • Management decisions by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Donna Brazile, Tom Perez, and John Podesta; their e-mails, personnel decisions, budgets, opposition research, and more.
    This is a giant heap of Whataboutism, their tried-and-true legal defense strategy. Sad fact is it seems to work for their base.

It works for the base, yeah, but the courts have shown they're not willing to entertain fuckabouts like this.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Honestly it gets hard for me to keep the threads straight if I get pulled away while reading one.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I didn't quote the whole article, but it sounds like they didn't move forward, and even optimistically the goal was to have no sanctions by February 2019. So presumably, yes.

It also ties into the whole Qatar/UAE proxy war going on, where they're accusing Qatar for hacking him and getting the documents (which were provided anonymously) while he was supposedly getting paid by the UAE to try to come down hard on Qatar, so THAT'S a whole 'nother can of worms, which is getting outside the realm of this thread, even though it's still tied to Mueller.
    Broidy has worked to funnel money into the U.S. political system for others, however. Last month, the Associated Press reported that Broidy received millions of dollars from George Nadar, a witness in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation and a close confidant of Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed. AP reported that Broidy received that money weeks before he made personal donations to congressional campaigns in an effort to shape a bill critical of Qatar, which the United Arab Emirates is currently blockading. The New York Times also reported that Broidy was reimbursed by Nadar after he funded an October conference that was highly critical of Qatar, which was confirmed by documents obtained by The Intercept. The UAE has contracts with a private security company Broidy owns that are worth “hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to the Times.

Broidy has blamed Qatar for the hack and disclosure of his emails. His attorney wrote a public letter to the Qatari ambassador to the U.S. blaming the Gulf nation for spreading “false and stolen information about him,” and claiming that Broidy had “irrefutable forensic evidence tying Qatar to this unlawful attack.” Broidy has since filed a lawsuit seeking damages from the Qatari government.

The Qatari Embassy did not respond to The Intercept’s requests for comment. The documents were provided to The Intercept anonymously.

Jesus, at this point I'm kinda expecting the local drug dealers in DC to get charged by Mueller because it seems like every shady person in the US gets tied back to this at some point.

• Options
    This one is admittedly a little thread-incestuous because Broidy is the former RNC finance chair who is Cohen's OTHER client and resigned after paying a Playboy playmate to have an abortion.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    This one is admittedly a little thread-incestuous because Broidy is the former RNC finance chair who is Cohen's OTHER client and resigned after paying a Playboy playmate to have an abortion.

We really, really need to start some kind of crowdfund for buying the mods a drink.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    "Pakistani mystery man"? "Wendy" Wasserman Schultz? What?

It's like the Soros stuff. It doesn't make sense unless you listen to a lot of conservative media and are thus clued in to their various insane conspiracy theories.

And Wendy is because he's a fucking moron.

Which is a bullet I already took for you, if you're curious, and you can find a summary in the appropriate thread

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Has anyone considered how the DNC suit might also fuck with Trump's preemptive pardon bullshit. It's established that a pardon is an admission of guild and depending on how things are worded, the DNC might get to skip courtroom thing and collect money from anyone named in their suit that takes a pardon. Granted I'm not a lawyer, so I could be reading things wrong.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Note that he was finance chair twice. Once in 2004 to 2008 and once in 2017... after these lobbying deals were attempted to be made...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I just remembered something I heard on NPR this morning.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604241519/gop-group-urges-support-for-mueller-investigation

It's a group called "Republicans for the Rule of Law" - basically saying we should let the investigation play out. If they won't listen to that argument, then holding onto their seats should be compelling reason enough. It was a very interesting take.

Bit late, but the DNC needs to jump on this.

"Are you a Rule of Law Republican, or a Banana Republican?"

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    That's a suit that's gonna go nowhere.

Can you elaborate?

Specifically about the Trump Russia conspiracy part the suit. The suit is saying that the DNC was hacked by Russian intelligence and that the Trump campaign was an active collaborator and supporter of the DNC hack effort. What's their evidence for the conspiracy between the two? George Paopdaplous's meeting, the Jr meeting, the RNC platform changes, and things like that. All things that kinda work when you're just alleging things in public, but won't really fly like they want them to in a suit.

The appeal here is entirely in the unknown. "Oh we know exactly what you did, and once we find the evidence we'll nail you to the wall!" In other words, what they actually have is nothing.

Nixon's campaign actually did its crime, directly ordered from the head of the campaign. The suit wasn't trying to prove some half-baked theory about their collaboration with someone else.

Funny thing is, this is still the same thing people said at the time. And I have a strong suspicion that there is stuff we do not know about yet that pols and the FBI do know about. Something like this could get it out in the open.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    The Dems have a lot less to lose than the GOP even if all that dirty laundry gets aired. We've already been through the "rigged nomination" business with Bernie, and had a bunch of insider baseball emails leaked that made them look bad an entire election ago. Seems like a weaksauce threat to me.

Any issues that could be damaging to the Democrats would absolutely strengthen the party in the long run so let's fucking go!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    Any decent judge would laugh all thst shit right out of court, right? Even if it was all true, it has zero to due with the lawsuit, if I understand correctly.

Yeah I don't even with that response. Other than "here is a lot of things people hate about the DNC that we totally made up in the first place and conned people into believing".

FTFY

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump is trying to say that the reclassification of parts of Comey's stuff after the fact means the whole thing was illegal and the special counsel was established based on an illegal act. So we are probably once again on high alert here.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Comey is an oca so whatever Trump whatever

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Trump is trying to say that the reclassification of parts of Comey's stuff after the fact means the whole thing was illegal and the special counsel was established based on an illegal act. So we are probably once again on high alert here.
    At this stage, when aren't we?

The President has proven so erratic, that very little (and most of those exceptions being actual acts that would make me see him in a positive light) would surprise me. Mass firings/purges, declaration of sovereignty, military strikes, none of that would be shocking. It'd anger/sadden me, but I wouldn't think "Welp, that escalated quickly/was out of character".

It's not nihilism. I'm still hopeful that the people, or the people's representatives (starting in January 2019), hold this President to account. But until the levers of power he wields are removed from his hands, I expect him to do pretty much anything. Usually in the most bumbling, stupid way possible.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Mueller being fired is going to take nothing but the President being around the right idiots at the right time with what they think is a perfect cover story.

Like basically Trump's attorneys and Kelly get stuck in an elevator on the way to a strategy session and by the time they have cell service again they're getting five hundred push notifications

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Only if you assume his last question is rhetorical.
    James Comey illegally leaked classified documents to the press in order to generate a Special Council? Therefore, the Special Council was established based on an illegal act? Really, does everybody know what that means?

I choose not to.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    If Trump fires Mueller at this point I will be very confused as to why he didn't do it weeks/months ago.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Because smarter people stopped him.

That is the only reason.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    You know, I was kind of worrying if the President could just invoke some ancient American law and have an old-fashioned duel with Mueller ala Burr/Hamilton. Turns out dueling was banned in DC in 1839 by the 25th Congress. That made me feel a little better.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    halkun wrote: »
    You know, I was kind of worrying if the President could just invoke some ancient American law and have an old-fashioned duel with Mueller ala Burr/Hamilton. Turns out dueling was banned in DC in 1839 by the 25th Congress. That made me feel a little better.

Trump would never put his ass on the line like that, and Mueller would probably Indiana Jones him right off the bat anyway.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »

Trump would never put his ass on the line like that, and Mueller would probably Indiana Jones him right off the bat anyway.

heck, he had to wait until Comey was across the country and Tillerson was on the toilet to even fire them.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Are you referring to this gem of logic and thought?

James Comey illegally leaked classified documents to the press in order to generate a Special Council? Therefore, the Special Council was established based on an illegal act? Really, does everybody know what that means?

That's, not how this works. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, even if leaking the memos was illegal Mueller was appointed because of their content, not because of the action of leaking them. It wouldn't make a difference.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Of all the stupid reasons to justify firing Mueller, this one ... ok it’s not the worst (“Mueller is biased because he cancelled his Mar-a-lago membership” is a thing that exists), but it’s one of the most obvious of Jr’s favorite reddit posts.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Well, it turns out what he's talking about regarding the classified documents is that after Comey released the memos last year, some information was deemed 'confidential'. So that's what this new investigation into Comey is about.

Basically, the same thing with Clinton e-mails regarding mislabeling some of them. Only this time the classification was changed after.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Well, it turns out what he's talking about regarding the classified documents is that after Comey released the memos last year, some information was deemed 'confidential'. So that's what this new investigation into Comey is about.

Basically, the same thing with Clinton e-mails regarding mislabeling some of them. Only this time the classification was changed after.

Only the best countries prosecute people for actions that were committed before those actions were criminalized.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Didn't Comey just say to allies he had made memos rather than leaking the actual memos?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Didn't Comey just say to allies he had made memos rather than leaking the actual memos?

He told his allies at the FBI what he talked about with Trump, and then they went ahead and made their own notes. But didn’t Comey also have a friend that leaked that first set of his notes after Trump fired him?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Until he changes his mind again.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Has anyone considered how the DNC suit might also fuck with Trump's preemptive pardon bullshit. It's established that a pardon is an admission of guild and depending on how things are worded, the DNC might get to skip courtroom thing and collect money from anyone named in their suit that takes a pardon. Granted I'm not a lawyer, so I could be reading things wrong.

Not a lawyer either, but my guess is it wouldn't be that straightforward but still amount to something similar: Trump gives them a pre-emptive pardon and then later they're compelled to testify, anything they claim they didn't do is set against "well, why did you accept the pardon?" and they can be compelled to answer that question because they've been pardoned and therefore have no 5th amendment defense for anything related to that pardon. Or they lie about what they were pardoned for in order to plead the 5th and perjure themselves in the process.

Throwing civil suits into the mix really fucks up the pardon gameplan if there ever was one.

This discussion has been closed.