As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It's assumed it was activision. I dunno Massive I think had an idea on how the dark zone could work and should work, and just were let down how people do open world stuff.

Like RDR 2 online is having to course correct on their open world pvp because people can be such douchebags. Its like devs have a really altruistic view of players and players keep lowering that bar.

Red Dead Online is interesting to me because Rockstar has 5 years worth of data from GTA Online, but still assumed that people wouldn't immediately resort to being shitheads.

I honestly think they assumed the more mature nature of the single player would lead to a more mature player base. Or maybe they thought the player base wanted the gank fest and were surprised people wanted the hunting and fishing simulator.

Its hard because we as gamers can make assumptions but we never get a true picture even when we get a "behind the scenes" because even then that's curated by whoevers giving you the glimpse and their bias's there in.

Devs should never assume anything except that players will be the most mouthbreathing fuckwads possible within the constraints of the game. That companies are still surprised by this is amazing to me.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well it's easier to design systems around people not being shit fuckers, so you take an optimistic look when you really really shouldn't.

That's one reason I liked Anthem saying "no pvp" its a smart move.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    The dark zone at launch was pretty awesome despite of its flaws, it was very much constant roller coaster of panic and elation. Massive did a rather good job of making that place incredibly tense by simply adding the option of going full asshole and letting the playerbase turn the paranoia up to eleven, no need for convoluted npc mechanics when you have a supply of willing and creative players to do your dirty work. Nothing quite like standing there staring at another agent while the extraction rope swung back and forth between you while looking for the slightest indication that shit was about to go down.

Their failure was largely in not hammering the exploiters and the hackers into the ground while also taking until rogue 2.0 to fix the worst aspects, things friendly fire during a rogue hunt turning you rogue etc. Personally I think they should have nerfed the 4-man gank-squads but that is mostly me as a solo players talking and I imagine most of the hardcore rogue players would disagree and those were the people that stayed playing during the entirety of the game's lifetime so.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    My problem with the DZ was that for whatever reason the power disparity between players and what gear they had. I remember unloading a full AR clip into a rogue and barely scratching his HP. (even playing since the start I still don't have a good feel for what's a good build, especially considering that they've had to balance out ability powers so much)

Kruite wrote: »
    My problem with the DZ was that for whatever reason the power disparity between players and what gear they had. I remember unloading a full AR clip into a rogue and barely scratching his HP. (even playing since the start I still don't have a good feel for what's a good build, especially considering that they've had to balance out ability powers so much)

I don't think they've ever really balanced power really. Like the last power rebalance they did was to nerf striker and health boxes but striker and health boxes were still incredibly strong in the meta.

Also for me it was that fights in the dark zone were never really even. Like when I did Last Stand I'd do a hell of a lot better than when I'd engaged in the dark zone pvp for whatever reason.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I don't think they've ever really balanced power really. Like the last power rebalance they did was to nerf striker and health boxes but striker and health boxes were still incredibly strong in the meta.

Also for me it was that fights in the dark zone were never really even. Like when I did Last Stand I'd do a hell of a lot better than when I'd engaged in the dark zone pvp for whatever reason.

I think they more or less gave up on trying to balance it after realising how deeply flawed the underlying architecture turned out and hopefully they learned something from that for Div2. Stuff like how the medkits now require you to hold the button for 2 seconds while not taking damage feels like they have actually thought about what worked and what didn't in Div1.

I recall SMG's being overpowered at the start (they fixed this, other weapons are good now) and certain yellow items being OP for pvp.

There was a proc that added a heal to you whenever you took an effect (included the heal itself), so people would smoke bomb themselves to essentially give infinite regen

another item added armor for every ft you moved between cover, so roll, roll, cover to cover, roll, cover to cover, unload on target"

edited January 2019
    I do like how they said they don't want face tanking in the open anymore. I mean the cover system in the division was fucking glorious, just really well done, and then they did a lot of content that said "fuck the cover system you're fighting out in the open" and its like "Guys come on!"

I do hope we have less melee dudes and/or player melee back at an enemy is equally as good. Getting fucking chained screwed up through a reload by some baseball wielding stooge is obnoxious.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Numi wrote: »
    The dark zone at launch was pretty awesome despite of its flaws, it was very much constant roller coaster of panic and elation. Massive did a rather good job of making that place incredibly tense by simply adding the option of going full asshole and letting the playerbase turn the paranoia up to eleven, no need for convoluted npc mechanics when you have a supply of willing and creative players to do your dirty work. Nothing quite like standing there staring at another agent while the extraction rope swung back and forth between you while looking for the slightest indication that shit was about to go down.

Their failure was largely in not hammering the exploiters and the hackers into the ground while also taking until rogue 2.0 to fix the worst aspects, things friendly fire during a rogue hunt turning you rogue etc. Personally I think they should have nerfed the 4-man gank-squads but that is mostly me as a solo players talking and I imagine most of the hardcore rogue players would disagree and those were the people that stayed playing during the entirety of the game's lifetime so.

IDK, I guess I'm just generally disinterested in the experience of robbing/being robbed/worrying about being robbed in a video game. Of the two actions, someone randomly drawing down murdering the shit out of random people is still a thing that is somewhat of a rarity these days. Robberies? Not so much. Never really got why people were so into engaging that in kind of behaviour in the asshole simulators anyhow.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I like the danger aspect sometimes, it turns basic farming into "ok now I have to balance this around other people fucking this up" BUT! There are times when I don't want it, and not being able to turn it off in the dark zone is the worst because the Dark Zone is like the best area for item farming, and if the assholes are up its impossible to actually do that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The added danger and also the fact that if you run into a rogue you are presented with a person you can try to murder as a guilt-free public service.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I would still like a pvp/pve split for the DZ. I'd like to explore those areas and only have to worry about spawning npcs disturbing me.

Maybe you could increase Hunter spawns in the pve one for the danger. Or have a slightly better drop rate in pvp's. Or add something like cosmetic Division Watch Fragments in player loot so the pvpers can get some Hunter-esque prestige...

76561197966849367.png
    Man I'd love for hunters to be in the dark zone by default. Hell if they add survival back in I think having random hunters in it would make that shit a lot more pants shitting. Those guys were bastards.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    completed the fang shield tonight... still need commendations and... guess I have to start survival soon too. D:

Survival will help with commendations #justsaying

pleasepaypreacher.net
    https://mixer.com/XboxOn?ocid=Evergreen_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_wtc_1.16.3

They are talking about the dark zone right now.

Sounds like they are keeping Rogue 2.0 from division 1.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    3 different dark zones? So that'll be interesting.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    BAH! Missed that part of the mixer. Three times the bad... will need more info.

Do they have the shield?

Also, haven't said it before, but the actual PVP (Last Stand) isn't that bad in the Division. I wonder if they'll have an 8v8 in D2.

edited January 2019
    Shield was mentioned in the mixer, @Sirialis

edit: or at person using it was.

tastydonuts on
    edited January 2019
    Yeah they've shown someone using the tac shield.

Seeing different guns, like they were using a burst fire lmg I don't recall that in div 1.

Flame Turret looked sweet too.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh nice Clan support and in game/in menu! FINALLY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    haha... "you can do clan stuff in game"

shots fired?

haha... "you can do clan stuff in game"

shots fired?

Yeah that's shots fired, he mentioned not managing it on a website

pleasepaypreacher.net
    8 man raids! First one shortly after launch. That's totally shots fired.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2019
    50 accounts for a clan, so smaller than destiny. Though I guess you can have up to 200 characters in it.

Clans are platform specific.

Also when you go rogue you are dropped out of the area coms. Interesting.

Ohh dark zone specific level perks and you can once again lose dark zone levels... yikes.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2019
    https://youtu.be/0EHspN2Btfk

Also got a new dark zone video drop today?

Oh shiii in that video you can see an agent using an assault rifle with a shield... YES!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2019
    Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    Always for me I like more rewards for riskier play. As long as the not asshole versions aren't like super shitty loots thereby making people feel they are forced into the shitty versions, being able to choose "no rules lets do this" is exciting.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I really appreciate the move as it'll allow the more casual TD2 player to dip their toes into the DZ without having their experience immediately ruined. Still dangerous, but not all in from the word go.

76561197966849367.png
    Also I can't recall if previous dz's were capped at 12 players, but knowing that if you bring in a squad of 4 you only have to contend with up to 8 other people is kind of nice to know.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    n The Division 2, we created smaller chunks of Dark Zone for a maximum of 12 players at any given time. While we reduced the maximum player capacity by half for The Division 2...

24 for TD1, but I'm not sure if that was for each part of the DZ or all of it.

The part about player density sounds like it was altogether though

76561197966849367.png
    Ok that makes sense, I definitely remember when like rogue hunts were on there was a shit ton of people running around.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    aornocke5vrf.png

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Hooray you survive the apocalypse!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Your office space will be in expansion content, and will be occupied by the jack booted para military thugs

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Your office space will be in expansion content, and will be occupied by the jack booted para military thugs

Sweet!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    I have a feeling weeks from now when we got there and look north it'll be a bombed out crater there. :P

Kind of bummed they're dropping 8v8 pvp. really hope they have an 8v8 pvp mode planned. Seems like big team pvp gametypes are dying out.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Shield was mentioned in the mixer, @Sirialis

edit: or at person using it was.

I hope they expand on the current options for Ballistic Shield into D2.

Defense/Nomad/Ninjabike + The House was great.