As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »
    squall99x wrote: »
    Considering enemy scaling, the size of the map, and the max number of people in a group being 4 i feel like there's plenty of room to simulate stuff happening where are players are not, to keep content available while still providing an illusion of the things we do not being immediately undone for no reason.

It just depends. If you have total control of a territory and then one of the daily projects is to do control points in that zone what happens when you have all of them? Do you have to wait and hope that they get taken back over? What if you had that control point fully supplied? How long is an appropriate time for them to sit by themselves before they flip? There are a lot of inter connected pieces they have to make sure stay viable for a lot of people as a whole and a lot of those systems run counter to the desire to a nice clean and controlled map.

Arbitrarily flipping bases in random places at all times to account for the possibility that their randomized goal system has obtainable goals for a given day doesn't really seem like a feature of a robust system so much as a sloppy workaround.

Welcome to video game design?

Yes, this conversation has indeed run its course.

Man, don't be that way. It was only as flippant as it is for everyone in a video game forum to expect that every system works exactly how they want and makes sense to their own personal needs and desires in a game. Your statement of something you find silly that developers would do AND the fact that any of us (including yourself) who have read any stories about video game development know that devs are forced into doing sloppy, quick and dirty fixes for a variety of different reasons just to keep the wheels from falling off during shipping a game, especially a live service type game is indisputable.

Just because I'm playing devil's advocate on how and why the game and the devs made potential decisions or why things work the way they do instead of assuming they are immediately a bug doesn't mean I don't feel the game has issues (especially with varying degrees of balance in encounters). I was pointing out a very true fact that I feel that often times we as random internet commentators and reviewers don't want to take into consideration. Games are fucking tough to make, sometimes shit is broken and sometimes the rest is held together with duct tape at best.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess for me since div 2 is a sequel I'm less kind to giving the devs credit. Especially things like enemy health being spongey as hell since that was a change they were supposed to make to keep them from being bullet spongey, and then yep bullet spongey again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I guess for me since div 2 is a sequel I'm less kind to giving the devs credit. Especially things like enemy health being spongey as hell since that was a change they were supposed to make to keep them from being bullet spongey, and then yep bullet spongey again.

I agree with that - it was definitely misleading. They did what they said for reds and purples (not that they were ever much of an issue) but didn't really touch yellows, especially on higher difficulties. I just assume they have it that way to force you to stat into damage to elites to take care of it and make you decide what build you have for what content.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Hell purples and reds on challenging are bullet spongey as hell too! Like if you don't use an AR red bar enemies can really take more punishment than you'd assume.

I still want to know who came up with shotguns boosting melee damage for a game where melee damage has always been "thing you do to a player in the dark zone."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hell purples and reds on challenging are bullet spongey as hell too! Like if you don't use an AR red bar enemies can really take more punishment than you'd assume.

I still want to know who came up with shotguns boosting melee damage for a game where melee damage has always been "thing you do to a player in the dark zone."

Right now, nameds and yellows are the quickest to go down for me because of the talents I've stacked. Reds go down quick enough that I can take down most of the regular mooks during a mission or control point with my now-favorite sidearm (Deagle .50), but purples are kind of my bane. Sometimes, it also feels like they get some kind of damage immunity/protection or some kind of weirdness is going on where I can dump a full mag (73 rounds of HE 30 assault rifle) into a regular, unarmored purple dude and I might've broken the armor.

Of course, it might also be wonky hit-detection at play (which I can't discount since there definitely seems to be some weird hit-detection issues every now and then).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I think it will just depend on if legendary difficulty is coming back. If it isn't its possible that challenging is meant to be that level now. Ultimately the bullet sponginess is a band-aid for the fact that they don't have but so many tactics and AI they can bring to bear in order to make things difficulty as players figure out strategies and get more gear with synergies. It's bound to happen - hell by the end of last game challenging was a joke with all the tools people had at their disposal. People would solo speed run entire missions in like 5 minutes.

The biggest thing I would like to see changed is forcing the AI to act a little smarter. If its not an actual rusher it should flank but not actively try to get in your face just because the game knows it can take 8 magazines to kill. There is no reason an engineer should be pushing you down at the front lines. It just feels cheesy.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Right now, nameds and yellows are the quickest to go down for me because of the talents I've stacked. Reds go down quick enough that I can take down most of the regular mooks during a mission or control point with my now-favorite sidearm (Deagle .50), but purples are kind of my bane. Sometimes, it also feels like they get some kind of damage immunity/protection or some kind of weirdness is going on where I can dump a full mag (73 rounds of HE 30 assault rifle) into a regular, unarmored purple dude and I might've broken the armor.

Of course, it might also be wonky hit-detection at play (which I can't discount since there definitely seems to be some weird hit-detection issues every now and then).

Yeah purples can definitely be an issue, also you tend to get more purples then yellows on encounters.

Really though I think the outcasts need a tone down pass, their fire based units put out way too much damage, especially the grenadiers. Like that molotov can drop your full armor off and kill you with burning you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    On the plus side, if they're rushing me, they're not building saw cars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It is an irony that they can end up the toughest as you have weapons and stat rolls specifically to mess up the others and purples don't have anything to mitigate what they do.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

Depends, outcast rushers are usually their grenadiers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Amusingly, if you shoot them while they're driving the car it screws up their aim with their saw car.

But if you really think about it, the reason why the engy rushes you is because they built that one saw car from scratch and they are bonded to it and in destroying their saw car they are duty bound to kill you or die trying, no matter what. such is the outcast way.

Meanwhile the RC racer bombers just pull one out of their infinite backpack.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I love the bomb car people when I can see them putting the car down and blow it up in their damn face. I curse them when they are in the back I can't see them and they keep having more god damn bomb cars.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Last night i learned that if you shoot the saw cars from the front enough, their saws pop off. But then if you stop shooting it just kind of sits there a whines for a sec before blowing up. I felt almost bad about it.

Almost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The Saw Car pathfinding seems to be "one charge and out", cuz if you dodge the car or jump on top of cover it won't chase you but instead will run back to its owner and start its one charge all over again.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Does suppressing the battlebot operator mess with sawbot's charge any?

Edit:
    on the topic of bots, what are the weak points on the Black Tusk Johnny Fives and Gun Mules?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does suppressing the battlebot operator mess with sawbot's charge any?

Edit:
    on the topic of bots, what are the weak points on the Black Tusk Johnny Fives and Gun Mules?

The treads on the johnny fives I believe. The gun dogs I believe its their top turret area. I can't remember when I looked with my fifty cal

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    While I haven't really done a deep dive of it, anecdotally it's been my experience that shooting at both the RC and saw car operators while they are charging their cars towards me makes them screw it up. As in, I can be sitting behind cover firing at someone, swap targets to the operator as their car starts to turn the corner, whiffs then does the return.

This isn't the same behaviour as when you kill them, wherein the cars will usually just drive forward into a wall or some distance before self destructing. Turrets tend to fire in circles until they blow up.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I've found the call logs and whatnot mostly underwhelming compared to D1. But there was one really good one with a couple guys arguing about the word cistern.

Somewhat spoiled by the fact that it was hyenas wanting to poison it.

This was the cringiest audio file to listen to.

In a game with so little written dialogue they thought it great to include a bit for people who hate people who use big words, and then make sure you know the outcasts are cartoon evil, why would anyone post apocalypse poison drinking water instead of stealing it?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I've found the call logs and whatnot mostly underwhelming compared to D1. But there was one really good one with a couple guys arguing about the word cistern.

Somewhat spoiled by the fact that it was hyenas wanting to poison it.

This was the cringiest audio file to listen to.

In a game with so little written dialogue they thought it great to include a bit for people who hate people who use big words, and then make sure you know the outcasts are cartoon evil, why would anyone post apocalypse poison drinking water instead of stealing it?

Well for the outcasts it makes sense some of them are still literally dying from the virus, so they don't give a shit about poisoning people.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    half their ranks are suicide bombers given how many of those guys rush your position every outcast fight, so what's a little poison really

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Is there a way to skip the epilepsy warning and the company logos when you start up the game?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    the Outcasts are the cartoon evil faction by their very nature and their whole shtick is nonspecific genocide.

and nope, you can't skip the warning. Ubi didn't make their game epileptic safe.

see: To the devs from en epileptic gamer

Also, buried in that thread is an update from the OP:
    Hi and thank you everyone that read this post and gave it an upvote so that Massive could see and read it.

I have been told that the patch from two days ago had fixed most of the problem for most people and Massive did reach out via one of their comdevs and asked me if I could go into detail about the effect(s) that were still of concern that has not been eliminated in the 14th March patch and they said they will pass the information as feedback fix to the dev team.

So they have adjusted it somewhat.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    the Outcasts are the cartoon evil faction by their very nature and their whole shtick is nonspecific genocide.

and nope, you can't skip the warning. Ubi didn't make their game epileptic safe.

see: To the devs from en epileptic gamer

Also, buried in that thread is an update from the OP:
    Hi and thank you everyone that read this post and gave it an upvote so that Massive could see and read it.

I have been told that the patch from two days ago had fixed most of the problem for most people and Massive did reach out via one of their comdevs and asked me if I could go into detail about the effect(s) that were still of concern that has not been eliminated in the 14th March patch and they said they will pass the information as feedback fix to the dev team.

So they have adjusted it somewhat.

It doesn't help that one of the Found Footage cutscenes for the Outcasts basically has an unironic Fury Road-esque "WITNESS ME!" moment.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    That wasn't really a fury road thing, that was very much a bog standard suicide bomber type thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I actually do like that I get to be constructive and help rebuild stuff, even if seemingly benign tasks like, get bee hives, somehow always devolve into a firefight.*

Also the activities. I don't remember if they existed on D1, but they remind me of FATES in FFXIV.

*During the Potomac event center main mission Manny at point asked over comms "Was that gunfire?" Yes Manny, it's always gunfire. You sent me here explicitly to shoot outcasts with my guns, like I do every situation. These clamps what I'm always using.

I personally don't feel like I get to be constructive at all. Like, the beekeeper mission, I murder 30+ mooks in waves, then drag the beekeeper out of a port-a-john and put him to work. In a lot of ways, I don't think my character or my faction are any better than any of the other characters/factions in the game.

The game reinforces this. If I see some First Sons carrying a load of food, water, and supplies back to one of their control stations, I can straight up murder them and take their loot. And while one could argue that they attack first if you get into range, I've killed thousands of them just so I could get $100 division ebucks for a weekly. I'm probably top on everyone's kill on sight list, and for good reason.

And honestly, I prefer that narrative to the "we're the good guys" narrative they always try to push. With any shooter set on earth with human opponents, you'll eventually have to accept that your avatar is a psychopath.

• Options
    That wasn't really a fury road thing, that was very much a bog standard suicide bomber type thing.

Not having seen a lot of suicide bombers in my life, it felt very Fury Road to me.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Challenging is the highest difficulty in the game. Expecting the enemies not to be bullet spongey means they would have to institute some other way to make the difficult. Like, swarms of enemies, or making them all crack shots, or making everything one shot you.

Not even the bullet spongiest thing in either Division game approaches remotely the sponginess of even Borderlands 2 playthrough 2, much less 3 or 4 or the stuff after that. It could be way, way worse.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    I actually do like that I get to be constructive and help rebuild stuff, even if seemingly benign tasks like, get bee hives, somehow always devolve into a firefight.*

Also the activities. I don't remember if they existed on D1, but they remind me of FATES in FFXIV.

*During the Potomac event center main mission Manny at point asked over comms "Was that gunfire?" Yes Manny, it's always gunfire. You sent me here explicitly to shoot outcasts with my guns, like I do every situation. These clamps what I'm always using.

I personally don't feel like I get to be constructive at all. Like, the beekeeper mission, I murder 30+ mooks in waves, then drag the beekeeper out of a port-a-john and put him to work. In a lot of ways, I don't think my character or my faction are any better than any of the other characters/factions in the game.

The game reinforces this. If I see some First Sons carrying a load of food, water, and supplies back to one of their control stations, I can straight up murder them and take their loot. And while one could argue that they attack first if you get into range, I've killed thousands of them just so I could get $100 division ebucks for a weekly. I'm probably top on everyone's kill on sight list, and for good reason.

And honestly, I prefer that narrative to the "we're the good guys" narrative they always try to push. With any shooter set on earth with human opponents, you'll eventually have to accept that your avatar is a psychopath.

This is kind of the infamous "the game allows me to shoot hookers, so I must" argument. You don't have to kill them. :P

*segues into a Spec Ops: The Line themes essay here*

• Options

Not having seen a lot of suicide bombers in my life, it felt very Fury Road to me.

Well because fury road uses the same idealogy to an extent. But they are wearing a bomb vest and running at basically a group of civilians, its less mad max and sadly pick a conflict around our current world.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I would leave them alone if they'd leave the civilians alone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I would leave them alone if they'd leave the civilians alone.

It's not my fault that the grenades want to sing. How else would I hear their chorus?

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Anyone who aligns with the true sons, hyenas, or outcasts gets a bullet, not a warning, not a polite suggestion, a bullet.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Challenging is the highest difficulty in the game. Expecting the enemies not to be bullet spongey means they would have to institute some other way to make the difficult. Like, swarms of enemies, or making them all crack shots, or making everything one shot you.

Not even the bullet spongiest thing in either Division game approaches remotely the sponginess of even Borderlands 2 playthrough 2, much less 3 or 4 or the stuff after that. It could be way, way worse.

Right, this is what I want. I don't want the enemies to soak more bullets as the primary form of difficulty increase.

I'd prefer enemies be more lethal over more resilient. Also, more enemies is a better difficulty bump. Or do what Diablo/Destiny does and add modifiers to the enemies or missions.

Anything is better than just "more health".

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Anyone who aligns with the true sons, hyenas, or outcasts gets a bullet, not a warning, not a polite suggestion, a bullet.

After watching all the found footage videos, I'm in agreement here.

EDIT - my jury is still out on the "mysterious faction"...have only seen the one video and it doesn't show motivations or ideology. Although...that said, I got the gears turning in my head and I have a theory that's still developing.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    edited March 2019

This is also why the echos/voice conversations all skew toward presenting the factions as unsympathetically evil, same as in Div 1.

The core reason that the Outcasts exists is because they were explicitly betrayed and left to die in a quarantine. (Like the Rikers, but largely victims of chance exposure or potential thereof.)

The True Sons kick off from a scenario of complete loss of confidence in the powers that be vs him keeping his men alive. (A partial motivation of the LMB too, who were stranded defending Wall Street Buildings?)

The Hyenas, who, much like the Rioters, are just a general kind of neutral evil band of gangs though? IDK.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    The outcasts I'll give you, they are a sympathetic murder cult, but still a murder cult.

Ridgeway was arrested following a massacre of like infected people and turned into a warlord, its nothing about keeping his men alive and everything "fuck it we've got guns we'll just take what we need".

Which is also the hyenas only without the leadership really. Just a bunch of people who'd rather take then help build. Selfish anaracist pricks.

Black Tusk are a given they are a PMC wannabe new world order who are actually one of the weakest factions based on how easy they are to deal with. Which is funny I assumed they'd be like the LMB but the Black Tusk are the easiest end game faction to fight bar none.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    my ranking at WT1 is outcasts -> hyenas -> true sons -> black tusks. which is basically just a ranking of how much they run at you and debuff you out of cover because that's by far the most dangerous time in the division.

suicide guys, saw cars, sledge hammer assholes, and molotov cocktails is so terrible.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    The fact that skill-based builds are by design supposed to be worse than gun-based ones is a real travesty and to me is a very flawed/incomplete way to have gameplay work.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »
    The fact that skill-based builds are by design supposed to be worse than gun-based ones is a real travesty and to me is a very flawed/incomplete way to have gameplay work.

Well skills in general seem under whelming. Like cooldowns too long damage not enough.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

Well skills in general seem under whelming. Like cooldowns too long damage not enough.

Corrosive Chem Launcher is my go to and every time I try another skill I go right back to the chem launcher. That quick recharge and having a mod that gives me two more ammo for it just makes it perfect for getting annoying fucks out of cover. Or lay down a carpet of acid for guys to run through. Not so great vs Heavies but shooting them in the face does the trick.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041