As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFBE] Cloud is also back, and came for your... wallet.

EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Games and Technology
u1pkmojvs6e5.jpg

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?
A mobile game for iOS and Android, produced in collaboration between Square Enix (Final Fantasy et al) and Gumi/Alim (responsible for Brave Frontier). The game’s story is based around a young knight named Rain and his friend and stepbrother Lasswell, who one day encounter a strange sight: a young girl trapped in a crystal. Following her words, they encounter the power of “Visions,” or the ability to summon warriors from other places and times to assist in battle.

Note to new or returning players
Due to the developer's servers being hacked, there's a pause on new content presently. No user data was compromised or negatively affected (the developers don't keep that stuff since they outsource it to FB, Google, etc.), but the devs appear to be focusing on security updates in lieu of new content. Do the story, farm some stuff, and I'm sure it'll be rolling with new stuff before we know it!

What is with the name of the game?

It's SquareEnix, responsible for making a trilogy of games called Fabula Nova Crystalis. They're kind of known now for making up fanciful words like Crystarium, and Dissidia Duodecim 012, and 358/2 Days. Be the Bravest Exvius you can be, and define that on your own terms, that's what I say.

I've played Brave Frontier and liked/hated it. How does this compare?

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is an expanded spin on Brave Frontier, with whom it shares some similarities. It's another gacha game, meaning you will earn in-game currency, coming in the form of Friend Points and Lapis, to summon new units on a seemingly unfair spreadsheet of hidden factors that emerge in the form of unique characters, and many familiar to the world of Final Fantasy. This game, though, adds the usual Final Fantasy elements of equipment and materia, giving a surprising depth to the gameplay as units can be mixed and matched with different abilities and stats boosted or modified.Each unit can equip up to 6 types of equipment and 4 materia, but each unit also has limitations and advantages to what they can equip and use.

You mentioned Final Fantasy characters? I love Final Fantasy!

FFBE has a wide variety of characters from Final Fantasy, with its own beefy roster of unique names original to FFBE. Characters from Final Fantasy 1 all the way to 15 and even outliers such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Type-0 are represented. Funny enough, there are no Final Fantasy 7 or 8 characters yet, but they’re coming (we know they are coming soon, due to the JP version being ahead). The animation sprites used in this game are gorgeous, by the way.

The roster of characters in game is a mishmash of various Final Fantasy games and units exclusive to FFBE, although most people care about the FF characters. As previously mentioned, characters are added to the gacha, usually alongside special events that tie into the game they're from (unless it's just more FFBE exclusives). Unlike other games of this type, the rarity isn't just in the higher rank of the unit, but also the characters themselves. You should ignore the fact that the Exdeath you pulled is 3*, for example, because it's possible to increase the rarity of units to their natural cap (Exdeath is capable of reaching 6*, the game's current top rarity).

Further, different units are good at different things. A healer like Rosa may be less valuable than a damage dealer like Gilgamesh, since the best defense is often a good offense. There are other mechanics in play, such as elemental affinity, stat breaks, buffs, and so forth, to keep it ever evolving around the core gameplay.

Here's a link to a site that will update regularly as the global version gets more characters, and ranks the units by various categories to back up the reasoning for their position in the tier list. Unit Rankings

I'm new, and got a bunch of these characters out of my first 11-pull. Are any of these good? I love Shadow/Sabin/Penelo!

Unfortunately, your Shadow/Sabin/Penelo are some of the worst characters in the game. Yes, they are beloved Final Fantasy characters, but that doesn't exclude them from being King of the Trash Heap. Someone has to be, right? A lot of early characters are mainline Final Fantasy units, but by nature of power creep, they’ve been long overshadowed by new units. Different units are powerful or weak in different ways, and just because a unit is popular in their original Final Fantasy series doesn’t mean they will be useful in FFBE.

However, FFBE is unique in that many older units are perfectly viable. Good team composition and strategy can make mid-tier units very good, and sometimes spending a bit of time thinking through a tough fight can result in eeking out a well-deserved win. Many players are F2P (they spend no money) and have a good roster of units, or are otherwise able to tackle some of the hardest content in the game.

If you're just starting out and want to know who to look for, note that as we are 18 months into the game, the hardest content tends to require some fancy gear and "rainbow" base units. If you see a rainbow crystal, rejoice, for it will grant a 5* base unit, which range from useful to very powerful and can easily secure a spot on your team!

THIS SECTION SUBJECT TO PENDING UPDATE

3* units to look for: Cecil, Exdeath, Timothy, Camille -- any that can go to 6, generally, otherwise they're only useful at the very beginning
4* base units to look for (gold crystal or better): Chizuru, Warrior of Light, Garnet, Mystea, Agrias, Refia, Veritas of the Earth, Rikku, Ashe
5* base units to look for (prismatic crystals only): Orlandeau, Veritas of the Dark, Ayaka, Tidus, Onion Knight -- basically anyone but Lightning!
3* base units that if your entire starting roster is full of, you might want to re-roll: Vivi, Lani, Galuf, Shadow, Penelo, Sabin, Maria, Fran, Clyne, Russell, Bedile, Anzelm, Gilbert, Rakshasa, Medius, Cyan

Helpful Links:

ExviusWiki: Best source for Global version information, with maps for exploration dungeons, quest guides, and unit details.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Reddit: The reddit community for FFBE, containing info and updates for both the Japan and Global versions. Check here if you want to know what kind of stuff we'll get 5-6 months in advance since Japan gets it first. Also contains useful player-submitted guides, and has a Wiki which is up to date with the current state of Japan's game, so you can look ahead at unit enhancements and trust masteries, that sort of thing.

Friend ID List!:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HfEIPxz_tV42C8dhfSiuVsWJ_f2YQhXiNg5BwiuJCik/edit?usp=sharing

To find your friend ID in the game, tap Home in the upper right corner (on most screens), then the Menu icon in the upper right, then Player Info on the left. Your ID should look like this in your little character card: 123,456,789. This is also where you change your greeting, and rename your character if you like. Adding friends is the only way to use your "guest character" limit break in combat, and only your current party's Leader is shared to friends. Remember to set a Companion Party from the Options in the Main Menu! This way, you will always have a party set up with a specific character that will be shared to your friends, and you should never ever edit that party except to change the Leader if you want to change who you share.

NEQRlx7.gif

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
EggyToast on

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That one-winged angel tease at the end :p Edit: Oh it was in the old thread too, hah.

My lapis lies in wait for his arrival.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    That new waifu sim thread smell

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm done pulling until Sephiroth.

Also this raid is insane. Last night I went to bed at rank 9,000. I woke up this morning at 17k. I've been running it non-stop today and I'm at 19k. What the fuck?

• Options
    TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    Bots hsve taken over again.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That's a good thing. They'll get the bonus way high, netting us a whole bunch of coins. And then they'll be removed from the ranking before the ranking rewards get handed out.

Or they won't be, which I'm okay with, because I don't really care about the rankings. That one ticket you lost because you're a reward tier below your usual is more than compensated for by all the free gil, (all) moogles, cactuars, and maybe even 4 star tickets.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Picked up a CG Sieghart from the third step of the banner in JP. In really crap gear plus his TMR, he's sitting at just under 10k HP, ~700 DEF. Ba. Na. Nas. No luck on the fourth step, farming 5k for step 5 now. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    CG Sieghart will be my white whale when he eventually comes to global. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the armorless Veritas as well. Ignicio should be awesome.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm done pulling until Sephiroth.

Also this raid is insane. Last night I went to bed at rank 9,000. I woke up this morning at 17k. I've been running it non-stop today and I'm at 19k. What the fuck?

I want 7* Randi, myself.

• Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    #teamrinoa

Also hello my little tomb raiders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I dunno whether to pull on this banner. On the one hand, EX Aileen is apparently stupid good, but on the other hand, I have no idea who this Aileen person even is. And on the third hand, I never get on-banner rainbows anyway, so.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm working on no on-banner Rainbows since Kryla, and I've gotten a good deal of Rainbows since.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm working on no on-banner Rainbows since Kryla, and I've gotten a good deal of Rainbows since.

Yeah, since the rate-up I've actually gotten a bunch of rainbows, it's just they never seem to be on-banner.

List of rainbows I have: Onion Knight, Cid, Ayaka, Barbariccia, Christine, Beatrix, Queen, Wilhelm, White Knight Noel, Duke, Yun, Reberta, Delita, Lightning, Luneth.

List of rainbows I got from their own banner instead of from a different banner or EX tickets: Christine, Beatrix.

I am kind of looking askance at the banner system, is what I mean here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife got EXAileen from her daily today, and a second Elfreeda from her free pull. I am giving her many angry stares.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    It makes sense; the off-banner rainbow rate went from .5% up to 2%, which is a 4x increase. On-banner doubled (0.5% to 1%), hence the "triple rate."

The advantage of the banner system is of course that if you want the banner unit, the banner is the best chance to get THAT unit.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Robot down. That took a while. On the first try, but I think if I'd been a little less lucky with the ST targets I would've wiped. Chow ate about a thousand genocide beams.

Ayaka is ridiculous. I can't even imagine doing it without her.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    alright, so because this is a time limited banner and I wanted to get more units for TMRs, I decided to spend the rest of my 10+1 tickets.

for Rainbows I got: my 4th trance terra, my 6th lightning, my 3rd delita, my 3rd olive and my first and hopefully last Jiraiya. not even a decent TM there.... I also got a bunch of abels and 2 more soliels.

• Options
    On the plus side, you're up to some good SMTRs.

Also, now you can do this: https://imgur.com/a/6bqsH

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    the sad part is those 6 lightnings don't include the free one. I'm a thunderstorm baby!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to think when they brought the iOS version up they forgot to enable triple rainbows.

Very bad streak going on.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Wasted a bunch of tickets but finally got Aileen. It was more for her TMR than her, but hooray.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Yeah, I really wanted her to give her TMR to Ang. No Cloud or Elfreeda so that's the start towards TDH.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    10 tickets later. 1 gold (Grace). 9 blues (trash).

Maybe I'll pull more at the tail end of the banner, but I can't keep doing this right now. It's too depressing.

• Options
    I also got CG Laswell which felt trolly.

• Options
    Isnt CG Lassworm's TMR BiS for a bunch of units?

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    A rainbow!
    Maybe it’s ExAileen!

Duke #2

joy

Edit: next ticket -> rainbow ?!?

Knight Delita #2

that’s better

maraji on
  • Options
    Tiphares wrote: »

Is it? Didn't seem amazing.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    Tiphares wrote: »

Is it? Didn't seem amazing.

30%ATK/HP is pretty fantastic. It'll get better and better as more units can more easily reach the 300% ATK cap.

• Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Holding out the rest of my stash as Im sure Finas next. Well also get 9 more tickets in the next week and a half and a lot of EX stuff by then. On top of the 2 unit summon Tickets.

If I dont get Fina in all of this......

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    I'm convinced I'll never pull a 5* healer or tank. Thankfully 4* tanks and healers are rather good for the most part.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Reigner wrote: »
    Holding out the rest of my stash as Im sure Finas next. Well also get 9 more tickets in the next week and a half and a lot of EX stuff by then. On top of the 2 unit summon Tickets.

That's my fear right there. I dumped a LOT of resources into Christine's banner over Christmas (like 20k lapis and 60-some-odd summon tickets) and ended up with one Kryla and zero Christines. If CG Fina's banner is indeed another dual-5*, even with my 16k lapis and 40 tickets now, I'm not wild about those odds.

• Options
    At times like this, i am glad I pulled Ayaka off-banner. CG Fina would still be welcomed, but I will not be pulling for her. I am looking forward to more trust moogles and double summons. I wonder if you can horde the 30m celebration tickets and pull all at once at the end. I am assuming there is an activation period during which you can use them.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm finally in a good place in this game. I have an Ayaka, Wilhelm, and a ton of good DPS (Fryevia being my latest white whale unit that I needed).

• Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    I have every tank, enough DPS to last well into the 7* era. Tilith isnt long for this world, Ayaka or Fina need to show up and get to work.

Unless 7* Rem is some healing machine that Im not aware of

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    She does get Curaja. But none of the other bonuses CG Fina or Ayaka get.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Reigner wrote: »

That's my fear right there. I dumped a LOT of resources into Christine's banner over Christmas (like 20k lapis and 60-some-odd summon tickets) and ended up with one Kryla and zero Christines. If CG Fina's banner is indeed another dual-5*, even with my 16k lapis and 40 tickets now, I'm not wild about those odds.

This was me on cloud’s banner, with no luck as well. It’s hard to get hopes up about chasing anything since the success rate is so low

• Options
    Yeah, I have Mustachio and enough TMRs available to make him beastly, but then that removes breaks and covers from my team which I'd really rather not do. I didn't have the resources to pull on Basch's banner so I'm boned out of that outside of Unit of Choice tickets or divine intervention.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Wasn't the first real step up on cg finas banner?

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Free pull: gold -> Rainbow: Gilgamesh!
    Gonna get me a Genji Glove!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Wasn't the first real step up on cg finas banner?

She never had one IIRC.

First prototype Step Up JP had was on the Type Banners that we never got. But those were only 3 steps and not the 5 steps you see now.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Our first step banner wll probably be Sephiroth. Sometime after the 2nd anniversary would be my guess.