As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I mean I also saw some Treants sell for .04 which is under what should be the .05 floor due to ability to convert cards to an event ticket.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, looks like Blink Dagger is a huge winner. I'm not going to buy new cards until I play out the first two decks.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    As someone who played Magic for years, don't try to play the market. The market is going to be very volatile for the next week or two, so card prices will change rapidly as the meta shakes out.

We already know the Axe and Drow are gonna be chase rares, and Blink Dagger will probably be the most expensive uncommon. But don't buy 20 blink daggers and expect it to rise in price. That's essentially gambling.

I think there will be a few rare cards that will be $10 or more (Axe, Drow, Time of Triumph, Incarnation of Selemene...), but other than that, most cards will end up being very cheap.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Nice of them to let the beta players make a ton of money on a captive market before opening it up to everyone else.

More like, aren't you glad beta players already got the chance to lose money!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Artifact/comments/a136ts/i_lost_everything_in_the_artifact_blink_dagger/

Like everything else, there's always the people who bought at the tail end of the bubble.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Any reason why this is unlocking at 2pm PST instead of 12pm?

• Options
    Rares are for sale now. I'd wait to buy though

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Any reason why this is unlocking at 2pm PST instead of 12pm?

Gaben wants me to be bored on my day off.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I think that's standard Valve Time for things to go live. Probably staggered a bit so anyone else that might have a game go live that day doesn't have Steam die on them right away.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Made 80% back. Charting the full collection prices it's currently at about $530 but looks like it keeps dropping.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    How would everyone here feel about a Penny Arcade launch draft tournament to celebrate? I can set one up tonight and put the link in here.

What time(s) are best for everyone, maybe we could shoot for Friday or Saturday evening this weekend?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    How are the launch day woes as far as getting stable games?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'll know when I'm out of work. Full collection is now at about $280. I think by the time I'm home I can probably finish my collection and have leftover money in my wallet.

Edit: Dropped another $30 in like 10 minutes.

Edit2: And now up to $365. Such a rollercoaster. I'm still keeping low buy orders though.

Dracil on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    I'll know when I'm out of work. Full collection is now at about $280. I think by the time I'm home I can probably finish my collection and have leftover money in my wallet.

Edit2: And now up to $365. Such a rollercoaster. I'm still keeping low buy orders though.

just wait until stuff floods the market?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

just wait until stuff floods the market?

people waiting isn't why valve pursued this monetization

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty pissed of right now.

I spent good money for this game and some extra boosters and went to the marketplace to buy some cards for my red deck.
    Steam decided to lock me out from marketplace "due to sudden increase in card spending". Yeah, I haven't spend any money in steam in ages, because it's a steaming pile of shit.
    This is the first game in a long while that is steam exclusive and great enough for me to buy from them. My mistake.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I opened Drow Ranger and Kanna in my packs and made back most of what I paid for the game by selling them.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I opened Drow Ranger and Kanna in my packs and made back most of what I paid for the game by selling them.

:0 I was gonna wait to open my packs by doing draft. By the time I get around to them all the prices are gonna crater, though >.<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Peewi wrote: »

was hoping for something like this, but I of course got no rare heroes and nothing expensive. I also can't stay connected to the Artifact network atm, so so far no good. I guess I'll try playing again in an hr or so.

Tutorial was OK though. Unsure how good an explainer it would be for someone who wasn't following the beta. I vaguely understood most of the mechanics beforehand. For someone fresh I wonder if it explains enough (or too much?).

valiance on
  • Options
    Servers are dead I think

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So, bought this thing to try it out. I'm supposed to get 10 packs and 2 decks for completing training, right?

Where they at? I dun see em.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    So, bought this thing to try it out. I'm supposed to get 10 packs and 2 decks for completing training, right?

There was a bug I had during beta where it took a few hours before I saw my cards and tickets. That could be what's going on.

The servers are also currently shitting themselves, and when that happens, you can't see anything in your collection. So that could be happening, too!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

That bit where the two players say "great game" and "see you tomorrow", my immersion has been shattered.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

There was a bug I had during beta where it took a few hours before I saw my cards and tickets. That could be what's going on.

The servers are also currently shitting themselves, and when that happens, you can't see anything in your collection. So that could be happening, too!

Yep, just needed to wait ten minutes.

I opened Drow Ranger! That card seems really good. Like wow good.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah she's generally regarded as one of the chase rares of the set

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    servers seem to be up. I managed to get in a few games of casual phantom draft. 2-1 right now. Lost my first ever match because I ran out my clock, not realizing that it was *my* time and not both of ours. So watch out for that if you're inclined to rope.

deck code:

valiance on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So I bought a couple packs since I ended up getting the game for free through the friends and family code.

Got Axe and already had Drow Ranger, Annihilation, and Time of Triumph.

That pretty much covers most of the Expensive cards, lol.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Edit: Maybe during the weekend. Too late for people I guess.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My third pack I got Axe.

Looks like Drow is the most expensive card in the game at 11 bucks? Doesn't seem outrageous? Especially since you only need one of her.

e: Oh, sorry, it's Axe, at almost 13 dollars. Guess I didn't see that because I have him.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    All right, I've been seeing this a lot in the expert Phantom Draft queue tonight, so here's a PSA:

Do not build 4-color rainbow decks in draft. You will lose.

Until you learn the draft format inside and out, I would stick to two main colors with a splash. If you have 25 playable cards in two colors, it's even better to not have a splash at all. Splash blue at your own risk! Blue heroes are super squishy and easy to kill and blue also has the most powerful spells, so guess what's going to happen if you splash blue? Your blue hero will be dead all the time!

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Not sure if Artifact is exactly like Magic in this sense, but...

A good strategy when I used to draft magic was to draft "best available" regardless of color for the first couple of rounds, then spend the back three quarters of the draft making sure you're not rainbowed out, with good playable cards in a couple strong colors. The idea being that you don't want to lock yourself in to colors immediately until you see if you can get a couple wombo cards out of the first rounds, then build around them.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if Artifact is exactly like Magic in this sense, but...

A good strategy when I used to draft magic was to draft "best available" regardless of color for the first couple of rounds, then spend the back three quarters of the draft making sure you're not rainbowed out, with good playable cards in a couple strong colors. The idea being that you don't want to lock yourself in to colors immediately until you see if you can get a couple wombo cards out of the first rounds, then build around them.

That's a pretty good way to go about it. It's actually easier to splash a third color in this game than in Magic because you don't have land restrictions. So, for example, if I see a really late Emissary of the Quorum (like middle of pack 4), fuck it, I'm splashing green now! Late game bombs in Artifact will usually single-handedly win you the game by themselves, so it's okay to splash for them.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Managed to get a 5-1 run in tonight, in the casual draft format.

Deck code:
    A lot of unhappy picks and color confusion while I was drafting it. Said to myself, "man this is a bad deck," but somehow it got there. Debbi is so strong for a basic hero that she makes it easier to go into black than other colors, I think. Special shoutout to "Enough Magic!" for closing out games vs blue players who were clearly planning some shenanigans on their 7 mana turns but didn't keep initiative.

• Options
    Prices are definitely all over the place. Drow is now sub 10, and Axe is almost 16 bucks. I could sell my Axe and basically make back the cost of the game.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Went perfect on my first casual run with Blue/Green tempo stuff.

https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJakKsbgCBRoEUWC7Al+ID0SfBhxCAQQZRgu3AUREqAEYRmlyc3QgVGltZQ__

The deck is super fun. Even if I really wouldn't bother trying to assemble it right now unless you have Drow and Annihilation from packs because those cards are stupid expensive right now.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I pulled and sold my Axe for $15 last night. I also pulled a couple dollar costing weapons items, but no blink dagger. I turned the $15 into more packs which got me a few new heroes. I only played the Training as it was getting late, but I'll probably play some casual draft today.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm debating whether to open my packs to hope to get something I can sell to just recoup the game cost, or wait and try paid draft later.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to open my packs to hope to get something I can sell to just recoup the game cost, or wait and try paid draft later.

I think Keeper Draft will have higher value than straight opening packs eventually, but only if you can get prizes. If you don't know the draft format, it's probably better to open your packs now. Once you're more comfortable with draft, keepers will be where you want to open your packs.

Phantom Draft was pretty soft last night, so I'd expect Keeper to be even softer due to everyone rare drafting things that will lower their winrate.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    I'm really digging the game so far. It's interesting how much, how to put this, tactical wiggle-room there is. In Hearthstone, it felt more like you were trying to push your opponent to make misplays and then crossing your fingers, whereas in Artifact you're constantly trying to gauge your opponent's plays and outmaneuver them.

The balance struck between going for two towers and going for the crystal is quite the tightrope, I'm really impressed at how well that works.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Some pro tips about hero deployment:
    • Don't let my solo red hero win a lane all by himself. Fight me a little bit on it, don't just give me 50% of the win without contesting me. I know he kills your squishy heroes, do it anyways. Even better if you have something like Cunning Plan that can let you deploy in front of him without dying.
    • If you haven't taken a lane yet and you have a 3- or 4-hero deployment this turn, DON'T STACK IN A SINGLE LANE. If you do that, I'm just going to use that lane as my sacrifice lane now and strand all of your heroes there. Because you haven't taken a lane yet, I'm allowed to do this.
    • Don't overcommit. This is primarily a bluffing game where you're trying to force your opponent to overcommit in a single spot. If you throw down 2 Ignites and a Mist of Avernus and have two heroes in a lane, GEE I WONDER WHICH LANE I WON'T FIGHT FOR.
    • Blue and black heroes work best in the left lane. A lot of their spells and abilities work cross-lane, so you can cast March of the Machines from lane 1 into lane 3 and have it go off on the same turn, leading to some surprise hero deaths that your opponent wasn't prepared for.

Spawnbroker on