Options

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, Steam market fees are kind of disgusting.

Subtotal
    1.97 USD
    Artifact fee
    0.73 USD
    Steam transaction fee
    0.73 USD (fees charged by Valve Corp.)

Total:
    3.43 USD

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    valve gets theirs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wait, that seems absurdly high. It's supposed to be 15% unless you're buying the cheapest stuff, then the rounding turns it into up to 66% (or is it 200%?) for 3c cards.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Wait, that seems absurdly high. It's supposed to be 15% unless you're buying the cheapest stuff, then the rounding turns it into up to 66% (or is it 200%?) for 3c cards.

It was buying out the complete set of basic cards, so that's probably it.

Also, nothing like playing a match against someone who has more money than you and all the nice cards. Dude had Axe and a few blink daggers and it didn't even feel like I had a chance :\

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, constructed is more or less worthless as a format unless you put out for at least a few of the chase cards.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Valve always takes 5% and the dev for the specific game gets a cut depending on the game (Valve charges 10% for their games) for 15% total.

So if you list an item for $X then the buyer pays $1.15X.

The 5% and 10% round up independently so if you list something for 1c then the buyer pays 3c and Valve takes 2c.
    p4cczdH.png?1nZQLBVk.png?1

I don't know why you're getting a 75% markup.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    For what it's worth I whaled pretty hard (£70 including the cost of the game) because I desperately need to fill a Netrunner sized hole in my life.

I wound up with 1 proper Black/Blue econ control deck and like, 90% of the way to a blue/green swarm. I've not sold anything on the market yet either because I'm still on Steam Guard for that. So I'll probably be able to sell stuff I don't want for enough to get a Kanna or whatever. Which is to say I feel confident I've hit a stable enough point for playing the game for this set.

It's hardly the circus of values but I think I still prefer the honesty of 'this is exactly how much this shit costs' rather than most free to play models trying to frustrate me into spending money and then getting just random garbage out.

• Options
    For what it's worth I whaled pretty hard (£70 including the cost of the game) because I desperately need to fill a Netrunner sized hole in my life.

I wound up with 1 proper Black/Blue econ control deck and like, 90% of the way to a blue/green swarm. I've not sold anything on the market yet either because I'm still on Steam Guard for that. So I'll probably be able to sell stuff I don't want for enough to get a Kanna or whatever. Which is to say I feel confident I've hit a stable enough point for playing the game for this set.

It's hardly the circus of values but I think I still prefer the honesty of 'this is exactly how much this shit costs' rather than most free to play models trying to frustrate me into spending money and then getting just random garbage out.

It all still boils down to lootboxes, though. It's just a supremely unpleasant business model and everyone seems to excuse it as "but that's how TCG's work". Also, a surprising number of people excusing it away as "some things are expensive, if you can't afford it then maybe you shouldn't play it all" which just seems gatekeepy in all of the worst ways.

I dunno, I guess I want to like it more than I do, but the economy of it is dragging it down a bit more than I thought it would.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular

It all still boils down to lootboxes, though. It's just a supremely unpleasant business model and everyone seems to excuse it as "but that's how TCG's work".

How is it a lootbox when you can choose which specific cards you buy from the market?

• Options
    Epimer wrote: »

It all still boils down to lootboxes, though. It's just a supremely unpleasant business model and everyone seems to excuse it as "but that's how TCG's work".

How is it a lootbox when you can choose which specific cards you buy from the market?

The only way those cards end up on the market is by people opening card packs aka lootboxes. Which drives market prices which means you end up with cards that cost as much as the game itself.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah, to be clear, I’m not saying it’s not an exploitative pile of shit. Just that I prefer the taste of this shit to most f2p card games. If they were genuine at all about this being a competition focused game it would be an LCG.

Also stabbity I think I can share decks when doing friend matches so if you wanna fuck about with my stuff feel free to hit me up.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, to be clear, I’m not saying it’s not an exploitative pile of shit. Just that I prefer the taste of this shit to most f2p card games. If they were genuine at all about this being a competition focused game it would be an LCG.

Also stabbity I think I can share decks when doing friend matches so if you wanna fuck about with my stuff feel free to hit me up.

You can play my bad green deck, too :D

It doesn't have Drow Ranger or Blink Dagger, so you know it's good.

Also, man, I wish it was a LCG. It's such a better format than TCG. Also, ironic that it's a TCG that you can't actually trade the cards in.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The event ticket phantom draft seems like the best way to play since I have a chance at packs without spending more. Does anyone have any general drafting tips? I'm a decent magic drafter, but I'd usually look at a first pack pick guide before jumping in.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The event ticket phantom draft seems like the best way to play since I have a chance at packs without spending more. Does anyone have any general drafting tips? I'm a decent magic drafter, but I'd usually look at a first pack pick guide before jumping in.

From what I've seen its the same general concepts. Early on focus on general power then commit to colors later. Only go tricolor if it's a lategame blue splash with a strong blue hero (Zeus/Ogre/Kana). Color diversity as you wrap up should aim to be proportional to hero colors with an accounting for mana cost and deployment opportunities.

I've seen vast disagreement from streamers on ideal color combos.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Its going to come down to personal style at the end. For example, i completely disagree with @Yilias saying not to go tri color. Im currently 17-2 in expert draft gauntlets and most of my decks end up with a splash of some kind. That doesnt mean either me or Yilias are wrong, its that we both have strategies that work better for us.

I could do a draft writeup over the weekend through an example 5 win draft from start to deckbuilding once i have time, if anyone wants that sort of thing.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would be interested @Spawnbroker . I'm only interested in Artifact for events and drafts, I get my constructed kicks from Hearthstone as it's simpler.

• Options
    I've always been much more of a constructed player than drafter in all the tcgs I've played, I'm only like 12-4. I'd default to Spawn's expertise over mine even in a new game.

I'd love to read a guide if you're up for it.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I've only done a couple practice drafts but you can only grab 1 hero per pack, yes? I've had trouble grabbing a hero immediately then a better one showing up, or waiting and never seeing one

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I've only done a couple practice drafts but you can only grab 1 hero per pack, yes? I've had trouble grabbing a hero immediately then a better one showing up, or waiting and never seeing one

Yes, once you've picked a hero, you can't pick another. If you don't end up with a hero by the last pick, you get a random one.

I'm pretty aggressive with hero picks. What I mean by aggressive is...I don't pick bad heroes. Unless I'm staring down an A+ hero that I would want in any deck, I don't pick it. The basic heroes are actually pretty good! Debbie and Farvhan are good, Keefe is ok. J'Muy is the only actively bad basic hero.

Usually I'm aiming to pick up a hero by 3rd or 4th pick of a pack, and only if it's in the colors I'm currently in. I save my first few picks of the pack for the strongest non-hero cards unless I see an amazing hero that I would run by themself (Drow, Axe, Tinker, PA...)

• Options
    I'm really interested in that Incarnation of Selemene constructed deck making the rounds. Looks pretty difficult to play, especially since most of the other decks in the meta are targeting it right now.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Any good resources for what competitive decks are going around? I got this and opened my packs. Dunno how to evaluate what's good or not yet but I got a blink dagger and a bloodseeker which I hear are good.

• Options
    Is there any meta analysis on heroes yet?

• Options
    shorthand hero meta summary.

In less joking results though Artifact fire has some articles up like this one that go through choices and the single deck I brought on the basis of 'is most highly rated version of an archetype I like' is so far crushing things appropriately hard so it seems like a decent enough resource.

• Options
    Honestly if you're gonna play Constructed and don't want to spend $$$ just play the Pauper formats. You can basically buy commons at 3c if you make buy orders and wait. Combined with the ones you get from the starter deck and a full set probably costs <$5.

It also effectively means buying tickets from Valve is a bad value. Buy cheap commons and convert them.

• Options
    Yeah, I think the thing I most want them to patch is to make it easier and easier to play your way. Like gimme a Pauper match maker and stuff like that.

• Options
    Potentially dumb questions here. You can only use 1 of a named hero in a constructed deck right? So I can't put 2+ Sven in the same deck? (I think this is different in draft)

Also I can't do anything with more than 3 of a copy of a card. Can I use multiples of item cards or is one all I need? I have 4 copies of a bunch of stuff I can turn into event tickets, or I have a few duplicate heroes after opening my packs.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the thing I most want them to patch is to make it easier and easier to play your way. Like gimme a Pauper match maker and stuff like that.

one of the things that's very frustrating about digital card games is they seem like they're unwilling to admit how much more restrictive they are then paper

you can slap together any old format in paper with friends but digital card games are like "You want a ladder? Here is one ladder."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

one of the things that's very frustrating about digital card games is they seem like they're unwilling to admit how much more restrictive they are then paper

you can slap together any old format in paper with friends but digital card games are like "You want a ladder? Here is one ladder."

Yeah, in theory this is already better than most because you can do open games within a group. Gonna have to look into the Pauper group and see how that's working out.

• Options
    Mtga has been meeting in the middle fairly nicely by running things like Singleton and wonkier stuff on a limited basis. It keeps everyone from being too spread out across game types, but also means you get some less common formats. Hopefully artifact can keep it spicy.

The precon launch event is a pretty good one. The one thing it needs, which the game needs overall, is progression and cosmetics. Imp skins, emotes, avatars, alternate art cards, etc.

• Options
    I almost don't understand the point of the tournaments tab in this game. It's always empty, and I guess I need the invite code to play with people. But there isn't any way for me to find people in-game to play tournaments?

It's weird that there isn't a tournament browser. Maybe I'm just missing it in my old age and I need new glasses.

• Options
    Yeah it needs to be built-in into the game if it's not there (I haven't bothered myself)

But there is this tool as well: https://artifinder.com/#/

• Options
    Are we still considered in beta? Seems like there's some core functionality they haven't got in yet.

• Options
    Tournaments seem like a thing we'd organize like, here on the forums, then play in the game. A tournament browser doesn't seem particularly necessary to me since there's lots of other ways to play but maybe I'm missing a use case?

• Options
    I.... hrrm. You can draw? And you can draw in draft? That's honestly pretty disappointing.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I.... hrrm. You can draw? And you can draw in draft? That's honestly pretty disappointing.

How? Damage is dealt simultaneously, so you can buy die at the same time.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is actually playing Artifact a bit exhausting?

I need a break after almost every game.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't understand how the rope works?

I have, like, 10min on my clock and my opponent only have like, 6. Yet if I take a single turn that's longer than 30seconds, my turn autoends? What's up with that?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Tcheldor wrote: »

How? Damage is dealt simultaneously, so you can buy die at the same time.

It's such a long match that a draw is a bummer. There's some good options for tie-breakers like most damage to the ancient, as well.

My big concern is just that the game runs really long for the number of meaningful decisions I think I make.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    I need to find a deck where I can run Kanna/Luna/Drow/enchantress/X and still have a win con.

Because those are definitely highlight heroes for me in terms of general gameplay and I have enough blue/green to feel happy with them. It's just figuring out how to actually transfer the tempo into a win.

• Options
    I need to find a deck where I can run Kanna/Luna/Drow/enchantress/X and still have a win con.

Because those are definitely highlight heroes for me in terms of general gameplay and I have enough blue/green to feel happy with them. It's just figuring out how to actually transfer the tempo into a win.

Maybe toss in an Omniknight or something and some 8 mana bigboi creeps?

Stabbity_Style.png