As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was saying to my friend, I wouldn't feel so dispirited if the choices were between "shithole" and "place I can't afford." It's the fact that particular Venn diagram is basically a circle that really gets you down.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jesus at 2.5k too

what're we talking before it isn't a shithole, 4-6k?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    jesus at 2.5k too

what're we talking before it isn't a shithole, 4-6k?

I mean, I can't afford 2.5k on my own which is another reason I'm moving out. If I could actually throw that kind of cash around it would be slightly easier (though that's still only just above a studio price for anything built after 2005). But 2k is definitely within the shithole window.

Mind you there's a lot of places at 3k+ which are also pretty dire, they just have more bedrooms.

oh

please excuse me while I scream into the void then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    $3000 a month?!?!

Have you considered buying a Lamborghini and sleeping in that, it might be cheaper

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    get an RV!

That's what my dad wanted me to do in college. He'd buy it, I'd live it for 4 years, then he'd take it and drive it for???

I hope you took him up on it!

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    City prices are insane and have been for a while. And are getting worse. I've been moving steadily west of Boston for a couple decades due to rent/mortgage prices. Still spending what tynic is, but the places get nicer the further out you get.

Yeah - after some people suggested moving to Quincy or similar, I looked at some places with a more serious commute, but turns out I wouldn't actually save any money. I'd be able to find somewhere nicer or larger, but I'd burn myself out on the commute and I'm already frustrated by how long it takes me to get around. Nobody in the outer regions is doing affordable 1 beds either.

you should build a tree house in the nearest park tynic

I bet there's no laws on the book for that

If it wasn't for the northeast winters I'd have taken to living in a hammock long ago.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I am just so annoyed that wages in Boston have stagnated while rents keep going up.

My wife and I can barely afford our house since taxes and insurance keep creeping up each year and yet we haven't had any substantial raises since 2010. I can't even imagine how frustrating it is with greedy landlords taking advantage of college students near the universities.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    sounds like it's time to invest in an abandoned warehouse and renovate it

probably work out in your favor after a few years

sounds like it's time to invest in an abandoned warehouse and renovate it

probably work out in your favor after a few years

sure, let me know if you find an abandoned warehouse within 50 miles that costs less than 2 mill.

How cozy do you like them?

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/255-257-Quincy-St-Boston-MA/8267797/ (these pictures make it look like a murder factory holy shit)

edited July 2018
    ok while you technically did find one, let me rescope this in terms of my actual cash reserves and ability to get a loan

... let me know if you find an abandoned warehouse I can buy by mortgaging my bicycle.

edit: also that square footage is actually amazing for the price, even for a murder factory.

tynic on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m sorry Tynic. The whole rent hikes combined with stagnant pay is utter bullshit.

At our house, we have garden rats! My poor inlaws’ vegetables are getting eaten. They’ve caught two rats so far in traps. My MIL has the same fear of rodents that I have of spiders, so it’s especially bad for her.

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    I bet you could talk them down to an even million. Where are you going to get a better price on a murder factory these days?

Janson wrote: »
    I’m sorry Tynic. The whole rent hikes combined with stagnant pay is utter bullshit.

At our house, we have garden rats! My poor inlaws’ vegetables are getting eaten. They’ve caught two rats so far in traps. My MIL has the same fear of rodents that I have of spiders, so it’s especially bad for her.

Can I suggest rat-eating spiders?

Masamune42 wrote: »
    I bet you could talk them down to an even million. Where are you going to get a better price on a murder factory these days?

I feel like the key would be finding the mortgage company that gives the couples on house hunters those 5 million dollar loans where one of them builds vehicles for flea circuses and the other is a model train collector.

I did not.

chromdom wrote: »

I did not.

Aww

edited July 2018
    We've reached my favorite genre of apartment listing: the outright lie. "It's a one bedroom!" "No, it's a studio. If it didn't have a small alcove for the kitchen it would be a bedsit." "But you can fit a bed in it!" Lady I could fit a panda in it, that wouldn't make it a zoo.

tynic on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    But if you get some animals in there, you could AirBnB it out as a "zoo experience".

edited July 2018
    Have you considered living at the zoo?
    I initially mis-typed that as 'loving at the zoo' and almost left it. But hey, it's none of our business what kind of monkey business goes on at the zoo.

chromdom on
    I initially mis-typed that as 'loving at the zoo' and almost left it. But hey, it's none of our business what kind of monkey business goes on at the zoo.

The commute's a bitch.

edited July 2018
    tynic wrote: »

The commute's a bear.

no lion!

Xaquin on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I believe he is legally required to give 24 hrs minimum notice before showing an apartment, too.... but of course tenants' rights don't matter because he needs to show the apartment and the world revolves around him alone, clearly.

I remember hearing him complaining to an appraiser about how much work it was to have these properties. Work, motherfucker?? Explain to me a single thing you've had to do for this property while we've lived there. Legally he's responsible for clearing snow as well, but again that's placed on tenants half the time.

Screw Boston and screw that guy. Sorry @tynic :C

He's gotta actually put clothes on sometimes to collect that money ND, that's a lot of work!

I believe he is legally required to give 24 hrs minimum notice before showing an apartment, too.... but of course tenants' rights don't matter because he needs to show the apartment and the world revolves around him alone, clearly.

I remember hearing him complaining to an appraiser about how much work it was to have these properties. Work, motherfucker?? Explain to me a single thing you've had to do for this property while we've lived there. Legally he's responsible for clearing snow as well, but again that's placed on tenants half the time.

Screw Boston and screw that guy. Sorry @tynic :C

yeah like, I'm ... sorry you were forced to buy multiple investment properties within walking distance of your house? That must be a real drag, having to occasionally remember that things you own exist.

He's gotta actually put clothes on sometimes to collect that money ND, that's a lot of work!

I especially loved the couple of times I had to drop a rent check off at his house, after he'd complained to us and the tenants above us that we had to make sure we were clearing the snow and ice at the right times (this was a fault of the above tenant-children never doing anything, i.e. snow-clearing, unless they were told to). Meanwhile, his entire sidewalk was solid ice and unshoveled.

But be sure to clear the snow and ice at the right hour, you guys!

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You should've fallen in front of his house and sued him.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have friends with rental properties and it is frustrating to hear them talk about them sometimes.

I have a friend I love but she complains about ‘only’ making $60/mo off her old house. Ok, but you’re also getting all the mortgage and property taxes paid for, too. In a few years’ time that’s a solid investment worth hundreds of thousands that you have!

Janson wrote: »
    I have friends with rental properties and it is frustrating to hear them talk about them sometimes.

I have a friend I love but she complains about ‘only’ making $60/mo off her old house. Ok, but you’re also getting all the mortgage and property taxes paid for, too. In a few years’ time that’s a solid investment worth hundreds of thousands that you have!

yeah if you're covering the mortgage then you're coming out well ahead in the long term, as the property prices increase. If you expect the property to generate on-going disposable income you're either already rolling in it, or you're charging too much rent, or both.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I don't remember hearing anyone say good things about the rental market in any decent-sized city for a looooong time.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX

I especially loved the couple of times I had to drop a rent check off at his house, after he'd complained to us and the tenants above us that we had to make sure we were clearing the snow and ice at the right times (this was a fault of the above tenant-children never doing anything, i.e. snow-clearing, unless they were told to). Meanwhile, his entire sidewalk was solid ice and unshoveled.

It was the responsibilities of the tenant(s) to clear the snow and ice??

Boston!
    Actually my favourite one was the place @NightDragon and I looked at where the owner lived on the middle floor and rented out first and third floor
    guess which TWO floors had to trade off clearing the ice/snow

go on, guess

I am so angry right now y'all

why are you doing this to me

tynic wrote: »

Boston!
    Actually my favourite one was the place @NightDragon and I looked at where the owner lived on the middle floor and rented out first and third floor
    guess which TWO floors had to trade off clearing the ice/snow

go on, guess

Oh yeah that was the property that had roach traps all over it that the realtor lied to our faces about before I called him out on it and he visibly withered

#Boston
    #Blessed
    #RentLife

This discussion has been closed.