As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting there! The door is in. This picture is pre-beading where our joiner had to pack out the architrave because of course the wall wasn't straight at all. This is a custom-built door and architrave to match the existing style -- the door to the stairs is just stretched upwards slightly to accommodate the required headroom issues caused by the winders.

YndcWjnl.jpg

And the spindles making the top safe are in, too

z0kvKpzl.jpg

So now I've just got to wait for the plasterer to come and make good, then I can have another session with a scrubbing brush and a few buckets of Persil to get all the soot out.

Then it'll just be a case of installing all the insulation in the loft, building some studs to make eaves, putting in hatches for access to said eaves, running electricity and lighting circuits, running some network ports, getting the plumber out to put in the radiators, batoning over the tri-iso insulation and getting the plasterer back to board and plaster the 50m2 of walls / ceiling and I'll have a usable office slash playroom.

And then painting. Including repainting the spare room that has been ruined with the staircase and the hallway that still needs painting from us extending the bathroom last year.

Oh, and carpet.

I thought I'd have a summer off after spending last summer doing the rest of the house up, but oh well. Maybe next Summer.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Not the best angle to see the change but this is before:

3nu81pskvaex.jpg

And this is after:

4wojtpo6enfy.jpg

Joiner only started today and has cut skirting for 75% of the house, looks like he'll be gluing/filling over the next few days.

The downstairs bathroom is my father in law's long term project (after he's done all the dozen little jobs like hanging curtains).

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Radiation wrote: »
    It would seem that way.
    And thanks! Was thinking it was just the mobile browser being wonky.

Edit: wobble nearly entirely gone. I was going to build a shelf up top but think that'd be unnecessary. I need to go to makerspace and cut the bottom shelf top later this week but the main goal of table for the cnc is done. Now I get to play with the router and see what kind of things I can mess up.

So went to the makerspace to cut the bottom shelf top. I forgot to cut the board width down. Which means the shelf is bigger but I also had to handsaw cut grooves to make it fit. Still, pretty happy with it. Decent workout as well.

56dlfdo3eVhAAxMprue3M1_A3dt2MCtibNhDi83wtlU1ThLZm4YlgfDCTks_KdGAEQQMqgZYdMqaiR105UUGYqp_WW7ue8tsKVPk-cGwfG-g0al6OutSlmiu354Y1HZMZ2hYTXvxCERo83h6bZzQ07WgVR3gHiHsLkkt7XQxl8hQjqifKInpeqmm4xCgvV3d9PBtc6Pv4lc05_40vCQAzSequAWm8b06_HpQZ2ovskMYgcbw6X9emTd6iySLLidSXfUr-HkDQxgxZEarUXLBc6rqfNp7A6_StPZhYjOdvWMFGfHRkAx86si7oIaH-CzzVlXAQGQxXUHxLBPy3F_uGhBa45vGbeFFCUTRvgR9Rffw_6UxZhzHp9N84zXGmiqFMCa-ubbv2ISBMOMNZjzqp0KUR4AK6pLeCvHYi2OXIHq-o7TTT8TNpWn7wehuXAGYOqbjt5k2f08IPcOLmP99m_yuHlnCFQG_B0Au3kNIHFAdJsQ_hoNrTK3ihCouT2wBx6w5wtUIyo6J0A3EfhfYX-kMndOAhm4ePzmtPuMnBNfNgvu-0_np_w0iiyS4SxvvoP4hcTwDVRGpNDP8IOtqUyq9lJMkofHj1FNIQ2CMfXMOu921-q1-CgJk5mpu6iJnB3vm6DfQAiv9eLZcTRTEBPmkH0AMdz3q=w711-h947-no

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A second pair of teens just knocked on my door and underbid the teens I had mow my lawn last time. This is apparently a cutthroat lawn mowing market, teenwise.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Moved to a new apartment yesterday. Lots of work unpacking, and then buying things that I don't have but my roommate did at the old apartment.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, and was wondering what to get for dinner. After all that work I was all, "Eh, just get something easy and microwaveable," which led to the thought, "Wait, do I even have a microwave now??" Good thing I thought of that, because apparently not! Or I do, but it's in my parent's storage locker somewhere and the last place came with a microwave so I didn't even think about it until then.

...I think I'm going to try living without one for now, just because I know if I have one I'll be lazy and eat a lot more shitty microwave dinners than I should.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm cat-sitting this next week. The person I'm cat-sitting for doesn't have a microwave (though they do have A/C). I'm not sure how I'm going to survive.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Both are certainly luxuries, but if you have s toaster oven and especially an electric kettle, microwave is optional.

As you noted, they're mainly for (delicious) garbage food, so not essential.

If you want to get all fancy, I'd recommend an Instant Pot.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My microwave is mainly used for defrostation or re-heating leftovers. They're useful if you cook ahead of yourself and freeze things.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Work is moving along. Had a couple of issues already. First, they didn't measure the grade properly so what was going to be a grade level patio turned into a "Oh, it's going to be a 10' x 6' patio 5' below grade. You'll be fine with that, right?"

So now it's just going to be a double door walkout to a small pad and stairs up.

7l76dl63w9et.jpg

4zta3vf2lta8.jpg

And the concrete guys are double booked so our GC is not happy. Especially since we have a completion penalty in the contract.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Measure twice, dig once?

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I bought a rad-ass mitersaw this weekend.

Then, I tore up all the carpet, padding, and tack board in the basement. Plus some other shit I didn't like.

Then I cut a bunch of shit up, cause I wanted to cut some shit up.

Having someone else do the skim coat on the walls, and then I'm going to paint, and install flooring, baseboards, etc. Wife wants to do wainscoating, so we'll do that too.

Basement is gonna be awesome in a few weeks.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Man, that reminds me, I started ripping up carpet in one room and then lost momentum, was gonna install laminate and everything.

I should probably finish that whole project, but the concrete subfloor feels so nice now that it's summer...

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I just moved into an apartment and so far it has been awful! Half the outlets inexplicably do not work and whoever installed the w/d hookups put in an oven outlet instead of a dryer outlet. Also the remodelers left a ton of carpet tacks, screws, and bolts that I've been stepping on.

So I've got a bunch of work orders in place and I'm hoping this gets fixed but a problem I ran into is that the tiny little closet for the washer and dryer is terrible. The dryer hose is keeping me from pushing it back far enough to close the sliding door which is an issue because the hallway is hella tiny. Could I get one of those low profile periscope vents and then attach the flexible hose to that? The vent pipe is up and to the left of the dryer instead of being directly behind it so I have to have the hose. Other wise I'm just gonna have to brute force it in there and that's deff gonna squish the hose.

I dunno how long I'm gonna be here to be honest.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You sure can! If you get one that's decently adjustable you should be able to do without the flex tube entirely. Which is good, because when the wall vent is higher than the dryer vent, the flex tubes have a bad habit of clogging up with lint over time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rental apartments: Literally the worst

speaking of I have an application in on a place that I ... don't hate. That's about as positive I can be about it at the moment. It's actually got a lot of good things going for it, but it also has the typical boston "sloping floors, rickety staircase that probably killed someone recently, incredibly badly maintained exterior/common areas" thing going.

Today I found another place that at least from the photos looks a bit better, and is closer to work. Meanwhile the first place is running my credit. So I might have to make a bird-in-the-hand type call in the next few days.

Man. I'd really just like to live somewhere where the outlets aren't trying to kill me, the walls are free of both lead and animal remains, and it doesn't induce insta-vertigo if you walk across the room wrong.
    At one point this morning I seriously considered trying to commute down from Maine.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You sure can! If you get one that's decently adjustable you should be able to do without the flex tube entirely. Which is good, because when the wall vent is higher than the dryer vent, the flex tubes have a bad habit of clogging up with lint over time.

Good to know. The ends all look the same so I figured they probably could just wanted to check. Unfortunately, the way this stupid closet is set up I think I'm going to have to use the hose. The vent basically has to make an "S" in order to reach the pipe and its dumb and I hate it.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    At one point this morning I seriously considered trying to commute down from Maine.

update: have started looking at empty land plot prices, wondering if I could throw up a log cabin before winter.

edit: this may sound like a joke. I assure you, it is not.

tynic on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Do what I did in the army. Dig a hole, throw a poncho over it, and call it good.

Pro tip: dig a different hole for pooping. Do not poop in your sleep hole.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

I know people who've done that. In fact I knew a guy who rode the bus from Henniker, NH to Boston every day. Two hours each way.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

I know people who've done that. In fact I knew a guy who rode the bus from Henniker, NH to Boston every day. Two hours each way.

I know you adapt, but I can't imagine not burning out totally with that kind of commute. Working from home a few days a week would probably make it feasible, mind you.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Afaik, he fiddled around on his laptop the whole time. Don't know if that mitigated the tedium for him, but he held that job for five years until he was laid off.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    i don't actually mind long train rides, it's more that there's like zero awake time at home. I don't leave the office till 8pm usually, so even with a 20 minute commute I feel like my evenings are constricted.

On another note, I've just found 10 very affordable acres with some beach frontage. Who wants in? Must bring own snow plough.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I bought a rad-ass mitersaw this weekend.

Then, I tore up all the carpet, padding, and tack board in the basement. Plus some other shit I didn't like.

Then I cut a bunch of shit up, cause I wanted to cut some shit up.

Having someone else do the skim coat on the walls, and then I'm going to paint, and install flooring, baseboards, etc. Wife wants to do wainscoating, so we'll do that too.

Basement is gonna be awesome in a few weeks.

Have to be honest, this post goes really well with your av

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

update: have started looking at empty land plot prices, wondering if I could throw up a log cabin before winter.

edit: this may sound like a joke. I assure you, it is not.

this actually seems like the most reasonable thing in the world having kept up with this thread

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I don't understand delivery people at all.

Last week - package casually tossed in general vicinity of doorstep.
    This week - package inexplicably left in flowerbed.

I'm rather curious how next week will be. Convenient curbside delivery!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

Porch roof.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It is increasingly difficult to find property with anything larger than a 10x10 ft lawn reasonably close to civilization since I want space to build a workshop/pole-barn.

Even property in rural nowhere right off the highway don't seem to have any sort of lawnspace for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    i don't actually mind long train rides, it's more that there's like zero awake time at home. I don't leave the office till 8pm usually, so even with a 20 minute commute I feel like my evenings are constricted.

On another note, I've just found 10 very affordable acres with some beach frontage. Who wants in? Must bring own snow plough.

Man, I'd certainly love to be partial skilled labor on cabin build. I can bring some tools.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I mean

It could easily become some form of passive income for you. Mainers love going to 'camp' during the summer.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Where @tynic ?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Where @tynic ?

land? north-eastern MA, somewhere in Essex county, I can probably find it again.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Just looked and the only ones are around a mill for more than a postage stamp. There is a quarter acre lot (10k sqft)for 130k.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    schuss wrote: »
    Just looked and the only ones are around a mill for more than a postage stamp. There is a quarter acre lot (10k sqft)for 130k.

Depends where you're looking. There's a huge disparity, that wasnt exactly the first property that came up. Sure, if you want cheap go west, but I wasn't lying (it was 130k for 10 acres, fwiw).

tynic on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My neighbor asked us if he could store his trailer in our driveway since we only have 1 Fiat and he doesn't have space for it on account of buying a new trailer. Its filled with like, lawn equipment (he's a landscaper) and its fucking huge.

But Ive only lived there for 5 months so I was a bit hesitant about making enemies (even though that would be dumb) so I gave him the like "eh ok sure for a bit".

My wife said today while I was at work he stopped over (she was home sick) and dropped it off and was like, I'll pay you to leave it indefinitely. She sent me a pic and its just ugly as hell.

I have no idea what to do, I'm very tempted to just be like dude it needs to be gone tomorrow. I was still in "loving this house is mine" phase and all that is immediately gone and I feel like I just rent again because this huge heap is just at the end of my driveway where I used to grill.

I feel bad because I want to be a good neighbor and all that, and it IS open driveway space - but it was MY open driveway space and now it's all uglied up.

My parents are gonna visit for the first time ever Friday and the visits gonna start with "Hey ignore that huge tarp over 200 weed whackers its my neighbors"

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd give him a week find a place to store it. Just make it very clear this is a short time agreement.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    yeah even asking is a huge imposition, immediately escalating to "and can I keep it here always?" is him taking advantage of you. He's not acting in good faith.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

I think it's hilarious.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    A much smaller house upgrade than usual; I got a new kettle:
    Rio70JX.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    you would not believe just how many things I have with that sort of rainbow anodizing, it is probably more than is entirely necessary

This discussion has been closed.