As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take some [photos] and show me them

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I was reading an article on Weather Underground about record-setting hailstones, which pretty much says all you need to know about me, when I came across a picture of my dad.

pcwggzw4nvum.jpg

Back in 2004, I was home from college with a friend of mine, and we were driving to the county fair with my parents. There had been some severe hail and heavy rain the night before, and we came across what was usually a dry creekbed. Unexpectedly, there was a small river flowing through it.

bt2joivwtlin.jpg

Even more unexpectedly, there were glacier-like cliffs of ice towering fifteen feet above the creekbed.

58u2o4pym7nj.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the cliffs were made of tightly-packed hailstones, each about the size of a pea.

slxynmkd5hmu.jpg

Water was still draining from the surrounding pastures, carving caves and runnels through the drifts of hail.

gjtcs8b4pf3z.jpg

Fortunately, since we were going to the fair, we had our camera in the truck with us, so my mom and I snapped some photos. Through a friend of the family, they ended up in a New Mexico geology journal and thenceforth to the internet.

567vdjg65j1x.jpg

Keep in mind that this was August. August in New Mexico, for those keeping score at home, is not traditionally a tundra-like environment.

3dq8grd9f8f2.jpg

Also, check out the rad fuckin' coat on Baby Jedoc.

Edit: upon closer inspection, Baby Jedoc is also wearing a Barenaked Ladies Maroon t-shirt. Aww yeah.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So were those hail glaciers a one off phenomenon or is it a reoccurring thing?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Guys I saw a flying squirrel today!!!

I've been wandering the woods for over 30 years and hadn't seen one till today. I also saw her fly 3 times and I saw her moving her babies one at a time to another tree. She holds them in her mouth and they wrap themselves around her neck and she carries them on the ground.

The lighting sucked but I'm still excited I saw them!

5uc2lg8eu2cm.jpg

r0offpxk42wc.jpg

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So were those hail glaciers a one off phenomenon or is it a reoccurring thing?

It's a pretty rare phenomenon, and I haven't tracked down any more extreme examples online. However, the high plains are a natural breeding ground for high-volume hailstorms. All of the examples mentioned in this blog post are within a couple of hours of where I grew up.

Looking back, it's a miracle we were able to buy hail insurance for the crops.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Hey Jedoc, I showed that to my aunt because she's in New Mexico and she was curious about where in NM that was.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Union County, between Clayton and Sedan. Way up in the northeast corner.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome, I appreciate it!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Pretty incredible phenomenon to witness Jedoc. Even cooler you have photos from it.

Wish I could have gotten an aerial of the sunset in CO tonight, we had some amazing clouds. Alas, all I had was my phone...
    2btnmkwd6by8.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I don't know how big this will be but here's a picture of a snail on a flower in the bushes outside of my workplace. The snails come out like crazy when it rains! As always, click through for higher-res.

IMG_20180501_121900.jpg

jgeis on
  • Options
    Cloud cover is allllmost developing some decent mammatus formations ahead of this evening's tornadic storms. Hopefully I can snap some better ones later this month.

axu4gck7so3v.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Cross posting from the joke thread, a practical joke in my neighborhood:

6gtC7nZl.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    My phone is usually crappy, but sometimes I still manage to get good shots.

8ixqzrznt6vy.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    From a camping trip near Leavenworth last year:
    zs0wbd41ubu6.jpg

• Options
    Maaaan, all these PNW photos I've been seeing lately really got me jonesin' for my trip there this fall.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Warm enough now so that the more interesting insects are coming out to play

jIQ8fqV.jpg

phone shot so not brilliant

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof and I went for a walk and got chased by wild baboons today. Fear of having my face ripped off had a detrimental effect on framing/focus

2uwbbhoxawll.jpg

we also saw a leopard (no pics)

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Fire sure is pretty

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    what about when that fire is also somehow a person's arm

6gxt24pmgrj8.jpg

• Options
    Man, your vacation got pretty buck wild if you got a limb fire going on.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wait, has anyone heard from Smof since this photo was taken?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I hope this image isn't too big. I took this recently in Tuskegee, AL.

awwRgNh.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    This one is from a recent morning in Columbus, GA:

biesQ5M.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Canon 750D body with Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD lens.

Brovid Hasselsmof, Wildlife Photographer.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, the 2 genders

d5DY4wt.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    First attempts at some night sky photography

30atquo4kme1.jpg

coymmdytqe5t.jpg

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    View across the lake at Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire:

utyyobt2ht1m.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Caught my dog post yawn, his lips hadn't quite covered his teeth. *ACK huge photo apologies.

Prospicience on
  • Options
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Snuggly murder kitties

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Murder kitties are cool but did you see the non-murder puppies??

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Murder kitties are cool but did you see the non-murder puppies??

Yeesssssss
    Check the pet thread for vids - I felt so bad that you missed them ( they were still too young to cuddle though. But the grown-up dogs wanted allllll the hugs)

tynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    A spider took your phone?!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Darmak wrote: »

No, no. The spider lived in the phone and has been arachkidnapped. This is the plot to Taken 4.

Goose! on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

No, no. The spider lived in the phone and has been arachkidnapped. This is the plot to Taken 4.

“I have a particular set of silks”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I went on a backpacking trip this weekend.

Saw some mountains:

lrg6zso5nukr.jpg

Met some funny tree stumps:

zakei456bxz4.jpg

Made a fire:

9answczxaq25.jpg

It was good.