Options

What's the best monster race in [Tabletop Games]

19596979899101»

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Humans
    stuff like all elves getting shortbow, longbow, shortsword and longsword proficiency would make more sense as a worldbuilding suggestion that most members of this specific elven culture train in those martial arts, rather than having them as "elf babies inherently know how to use a longbow" type racial bonuses.

elfs and dwarfs and stuff aren't starting with any racial prof, though that's more an actual part of the game mechanics. there might be like sub set of dwarves with a free rank of heavy melee weapons because all derfs from there learn how to use axes at a very young age, but like, a city dwarf from new york city? nah.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    stuff like all elves getting shortbow, longbow, shortsword and longsword proficiency would make more sense as a worldbuilding suggestion that most members of this specific elven culture train in those martial arts, rather than having them as "elf babies inherently know how to use a longbow" type racial bonuses.

I mean, that's what it is right? Elves are trained in weapons culturally

I like how The One Ring had your weapon skills initially tied to your culture. Every Mirkwood Elf character knows how to use bows and spears by default, for example

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gnolls
    Those racial traits always blur the line. Yeah, weapon training is pretty obvious, but what about a dwarf's instinctive knowledge of masonry? Hell, what about an intelligence bonus - is that just the product of a culture heavily focused on education?

I'm very anti-racial traits though, as a general rule.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Humans
    i am currently using genesys, where race is basically your archetype. you have a starting stat spread, you get a free skill, and then an ability, like most elves have Nimble, which gives them bonus defense against attacks.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Lizardfolk
    so 1-on-1 WoD is happening because of that conversation

Mage: The Ascension, in particular

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Orcs
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Those racial traits always blur the line. Yeah, weapon training is pretty obvious, but what about a dwarf's instinctive knowledge of masonry? Hell, what about an intelligence bonus - is that just the product of a culture heavily focused on education?

I'm very anti-racial traits though, as a general rule.

I mean on some level I am okay with it, these are literally different animals. It isn't like they are all humans with slight aesthetic differences. They are legit different species. I can accept in that case one might may be more intelligent or physically capable by nature. Dogs and cats are intrinsically different from one another they have different physical and mental capabilities it's not offensive to note those differences or accept that they exist. It rides a real fine line because we have trouble seeing any sentient life that isn't human as anything but human with a different outer shell, but like orcs and dwarves and elves and humans are all literally differed animals.

I have more of a problem when specific personality traits are carried over to a racial definition because that type of stuff is super nurture dependent. Or when a race is depicted as having a uniform cultural practice.

Like dwarves from west Virginia, and dwarves from new England should be as different from one another as I am from someone that works in the depths of West Virginia coal country. Like if the New England dwarf grew up digging clams on a sandbar there's no reason they should be able to identify masonry work.

Sleep on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Someone make a new tabletop thread

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.