As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's the best monster race in [Tabletop Games]

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What's blades in the dark and why is it so tres chic?

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Kenku
    Brainleech wrote: »

Blades in the Dark is an RPG about a gang of outlaws running jobs in a vaguely steampunk fantasy setting full of alchemy and ghosts and mystery

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's a really cool setting aesthetic linked up to a system which is sadly not for me at all, which is a shame because conceptually, I love the idea

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's a really cool setting aesthetic linked up to a system which is sadly not for me at all, which is a shame because conceptually, I love the idea

I’m like, the opposite

It’s a system I adore linked up to a setting I keep giving the side-eye

Are you supposed to be Victorian or Regency? Make up your mind! And wtf is with the spoopy shit?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Humans
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's a slick system that does exactly what it's designed to do, which is to let you play a game about being a gaslight-setting gang of thieves, roughs, thugs, or the like.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Goblins
    Well D&D would have been totally fun if it hadn't fallen apart into a bit of an argument at the end.

To be fair we had all had a little to drink. But still some of our players have a uh, different style of role playing than the rest of us, which could be fine but it kinda sucks the air out of the room and operates on a volume and intensity that makes it hard for the rest of us to manage the flow of the game or get a moment in edgewise.

The DM has been DMing for the better part of 30 years and he's really frustrated, I think he has really high expectations of himself though to be able to solve table problems like this in a clever way but it can seem at times like these two have a bit of trouble engaging with the story of the game and the other characters at the table because they are caught up in their own characters, which you know, is fine, but again it dictates the flow of the game when even the DM feels like he can't get us through an adventure. It sucked because it took us from 6pm until like midnight to get to a point where we would have started a combat at which point the DM ended up calling it for the night. He put in like 14 hours of work on the adventure we were doing he said, which seems like a real bummer if we don't manage to get through it.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Those ant-guys were neat.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I hate kenku.

They are the worst.

Thats a powerful reaction. Why?

Our DM in my 4e campaign fucking loved kenku and basically used them for like every encounter and also made those encounters mostly ambushes where they'd sneak up on us, no matter what we did.

Not a very great DM, like, at all. As a result we pretty much all ended up hating kenku.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Kobolds
    PLA wrote: »

You mean Formians?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Gnolls

Solar, this is like when you try and tell me Corregidor are Nomads.

You're allowed to say it but still :rotate:

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Well D&D would have been totally fun if it hadn't fallen apart into a bit of an argument at the end.

To be fair we had all had a little to drink. But still some of our players have a uh, different style of role playing than the rest of us, which could be fine but it kinda sucks the air out of the room and operates on a volume and intensity that makes it hard for the rest of us to manage the flow of the game or get a moment in edgewise.

The DM has been DMing for the better part of 30 years and he's really frustrated, I think he has really high expectations of himself though to be able to solve table problems like this in a clever way but it can seem at times like these two have a bit of trouble engaging with the story of the game and the other characters at the table because they are caught up in their own characters, which you know, is fine, but again it dictates the flow of the game when even the DM feels like he can't get us through an adventure. It sucked because it took us from 6pm until like midnight to get to a point where we would have started a combat at which point the DM ended up calling it for the night. He put in like 14 hours of work on the adventure we were doing he said, which seems like a real bummer if we don't manage to get through it.

DMs need to be able to improvise on the fly, because players are never gonna follow their carefully-laid plans, hell even if the DM explicitly explains the whole thing to them beforehand.

However, if one or two players are negatively affecting story and game progression to that extent, they need to pull their fucking heads in or be replaced. D&D is about the GROUP, not the individual.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

You mean Formians?

Yes, but I don't remember which parts were those and which parts were the mantis-people.

• Options
    Goblins

DMs need to be able to improvise on the fly, because players are never gonna follow their carefully-laid plans, hell even if the DM explicitly explains the whole thing to them beforehand.

However, if one or two players are negatively affecting story and game progression to that extent, they need to pull their fucking heads in or be replaced. D&D is about the GROUP, not the individual.

Yeah I agree on the improv stuff, I think he had a general plan but also had backup plans laid for us too. He's really good.

And yeah, it kind of sucks that it happens to be the two women in the group that are acting this way, because then it feels like all the men in the room are coming down on them and that's not a good feeling just speaking for myself.

They are doing a lot of that "Oh my character is chaotic and super sexy so she is going to be at the tavern drinking and hooking up with dudes" or "Lets just solve all or problems by killing them" and it just isn't gelling with the whole table. I can occasionally play off their jokey jokes but it totally does suck the air out of the room, like they don't want to share the game with the rest of us unless their character is having a Big Dramatic Moment at which point the rest of us have trouble getting a chance to even speak.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Yeah I agree on the improv stuff, I think he had a general plan but also had backup plans laid for us too. He's really good.

And yeah, it kind of sucks that it happens to be the two women in the group that are acting this way, because then it feels like all the men in the room are coming down on them and that's not a good feeling just speaking for myself.

They are doing a lot of that "Oh my character is chaotic and super sexy so she is going to be at the tavern drinking and hooking up with dudes" or "Lets just solve all or problems by killing them" and it just isn't gelling with the whole table. I can occasionally play off their jokey jokes but it totally does suck the air out of the room, like they don't want to share the game with the rest of us unless their character is having a Big Dramatic Moment at which point the rest of us have trouble getting a chance to even speak.

"We're all glad that you're having so much fun, but you're bogarting all our game time and disrupting the game itself. Just tone it down a notch or two. It's about the team and the journey."

• Options

Aren’t Corregidor nomads?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Gnolls
    Elldren wrote: »

The sub faction defined by solid weaponry, good armour and practical units?

Do they sound like Nomads to you???

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

The sub faction defined by solid weaponry, good armour and practical units?

Do they sound like Nomads to you???

The sub faction with a flying robot cat doctor?

Yeah a bit : P

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Gnolls
    I'm just saying, if I wanted to shoot at dudes with favourable range bands, MSV and armour I'd play Pan-O.

But mostly it's just me being a dumb ass and giving Solar shit. Like when I say ASS don't count as ALEPH units.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Kobolds
    JSA for lyfe

not even YJ anymore

• Options
    Corregidor are proper Nomads doing proper hard graft to keep everyone's spaceships going. Solid practical Catgirls, if you will. Keep your fancy Hacking Device Plus and your ODD/TO Camo! (although if we could get some of those that'd be ace, seriously).

African Space Batman Sectoral is best Sectoral, forever. Mostly because Intruders mind :p

• Options
    Gnolls
    Corregidor is actually pretty rad.

They're just easy to make fun of because they're very much the odd one out from the Nomads USP of 'alt culture hacker trash and garbage mechanics'.

• Options
    They do have their weird shit, but it's mostly in the background.

Also it makes sense that they'd be a bit different from the other Nomads because Corregidor is the only Nomad habitat that wasn't colonised by people who wanted to be there. Bakunin was originally built to be an anarchist paradise, Tunguska was originally built to be an impenetrable datacrypt, Corregidor was originally built to be a prison, filled with all manner of criminal types and their families, as well as just poor people who were making the place untidy around the Space Elevators and got forcibly relocated.

So I always liked that Corregidor feels a bit different, because it's definitely come from a different place, but they've taken the opportunity to build an independent and arguably pretty decent place to live, as long as you don't mind having to work (and Corregidor being a place where everyone has a job actually makes it quite unique in the Sphere, from what the RPG says about UBI meaning lots of people just don't work at all).

But yeah on the tabletop they are very much the practical, dependable and solid troops of the faction, without many fancy tricks, just an emphasis on firepower, guerilla tactics and being surprisingly resilient.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Gnolls
    I still think Corregidor has UBI but that citizenship (and maintaining it) depends on taking part in the service crews and making your hours. Though they're not actually super clear on that because like, obviously Haqq, Nomads and Ariadna have massively different living standards compared to YJ and Pan-O as the 'average' citizen of the human sphere.

EDIT:

FWIW my personal head canon for the minor nations:

Haqq: Has UBI flat out

Nomads: Doesn't have UBI but has social programs on each craft that pick up the slack. Tunguska will draft you into org crime, Bakunin has several modules that are charitable or which trade shelter for labour and Corregidor provides basic necessities provided you're doing your time on the work crews.

Ariadna: Don't have UBI but are in the process of rolling it out in more urbanized areas.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    The only sad thing about Corregidor, really, is that they get the Iguana rather than the Lizard

It makes perfect sense, from a background PoV, it's just that in terms of gameplay making that Repeater work in the Sectoral is tough, they don't have the same quality of high WIP/BTS Assault, Killer and + Hackers that Bakunin and the future Tunguska Sectoral will have (well, I mean, literally no human faction does match Interventors or Custodiers, really). I do need to try a Wildcat link inc. an AHD with a Bandit KHD both bouncing through the Iguana at some point, mind. It's just so expensive! #tears

• Options
    Gnolls
    I feel like that inefficiency is from back when sectorials were pretty optional/not the main way to play. So they wanted to make sure you felt your lack of hackers or lack of repeater TAG if you were Corregidor/Bakunin respectively.

• Options
    I mean, if you take a Wildcat or Hellcat Hacker, you've got a WIP 13 Assault Hacker and that's all you really need to be, most of the time, but unless I'm running a link of Wildcats I don't really just want A Single Wildcat, and if I have a Hellcat Hacker then I don't really need a Repeater because he's already dropping up the board. The only other hacker is the Bandit, and that would be awesome as has both Assault and Killer options that work great through the Repeater, and is a lone infiltrating camo badass! But also WIP 12. I'm playing Nomads, I do not do WIP 12 hackers!

But yeah you're probably right. It just feels like Bakunin suits the TAG way more, is all. It's even all fancy with it's ejection system!

• Options
    Kobolds
    I'm still enjoying the heck out of the Ninja hacker(s), dropping out of hidden deployment to nuke some other cheesy hacker is super fun

• Options
    The Ninja Killer Hacker is, like, the most cyberpunk thing ever

She's an invisible ninja with a Tacticool bow and a crazy nano-edged sword that launches deadly cyberattacks and haxx0rs your brain out of your ears

I so wish that I could take one in literally every force I play, for 29pts just a steal, really

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Kobolds
    the second most cyberpunk unit is the biker assault hacker in JSA.

what is more cyberpunk (aside from the ninja) than riding a bike at full speed and then hacking some dude's power armour so that their guns start shooting up their buddies

also I only realised recently that Killer Hacking Devices give you cybermask... which gives you Impersonation-2. which is bonkers on a model with TO camo

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Once the Ninja Hacker revealed to put an arrow through the head of Zoe as she moved up the board to try and fix one of my REMs, I was so sad. Just fwip arrow to the face, failed both ARM rolls, she's gone forever now.

The Aragoto Hacker is supremely cool, yes. I really look forward to seeing new Aragoto soon, not that the old sculpts are bad or anything, just that I think even more would be ace. I expect great things!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Humans

Murder hobo and "sex shit" is usually verboten in most groups because it is just an absolute nightmare for everyone but those people who are doing it.

The first night we were setting up our characters one of the dudes started talking about what his tiefling would do to tavern wenches and stuff so we had to straight up outlaw any sort of sex stuff, and even flirting, since one of them couldn't manage to act like an adult about it. Eventually we kicked him out and it's been a much better experience.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah sex is only something that is allowed to come up in games with certain groups I play with, because we're comfortable with it basically, and people aren't weird about it

In any game where people didn't know each other well? A "fade to black" as a character goes into the same room as a romantic interest is as far as it goes, and anything explicit is right out

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Kobolds
    DMs and groups need to know when to cut the scene and move the camera elsewhere. Like, if you want a character who goes boozing and whoring like, that’s fine? But when you say “okay, we get to town and I head to the tavern to drink and fuck” the camera should go off your character until you are part of something plot relevant again.

• Options
    Our ongoing joke in one group is that once someone's character got laid and the GM said to them, "okay you go back to her room with her, and you totally have sex"

So now we put on this stupid voice and say "my character is going around to their girlfriend's place to like, totally have sex!" and that basically works for all instances

• Options
    Goblins
    yeah. they loudly talk to each other like they are running their own scenes in the tavern or just off in the corner or what have you while ignoring what the rest of the group is doing.

They seem more interested in goofy innuendo laden improv like they are writing their own bargain basement Shakespeare comedy most of the time rather than telling a coherent adventure story involving everyone equally. it sucks too because one of the players teenage son has never played d&d before and this will probably sour him on the whole thing.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Humans
    The only thing recently that was somewhat sexual was my paladin flirting with an orc that wouldn't let us through a path.

DM said if I rolled a 20 I would charm him and he'd fall desperately in love and give his life for me. And when the DM tells me that I almost always roll 20s.

He gave his life a few minutes later protecting us from his orc buddies.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Gnolls
    Solid practical Catgirls, if you will.

Solar you are a good person for birthing this sentence into existence

I appreciate you

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Solid practical Catgirls, if you will.

Solar you are a good person for birthing this sentence into existence

I appreciate you

I am here to do God's work, my child

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah sex is only something that is allowed to come up in games with certain groups I play with, because we're comfortable with it basically, and people aren't weird about it

In any game where people didn't know each other well? A "fade to black" as a character goes into the same room as a romantic interest is as far as it goes, and anything explicit is right out

I’ll throw in a roll vs disease on occasion

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Minotaurs
    My group has done sex stuff but it's in non-serious/non-creepy ways. Like at one point in our Strahd campaign one of our players ended up with her drow rogue sleeping with one of the Vistani. She was intrigued by his leather "sex pants" and after a few rolls they ended up fooling around in his "bang tent". During the whole thing though nobody got into details, and she was driving the scene with all of us including the DM laughing our asses off. She got some good information from him once it was all said and done.

In our current campaign I play a 7'+ tall minotaur and our other character plays a short Kobold and at one point he runs between my legs and someone jokingly asks if he hits his head on my characters junk, so the DM rolls for package size and sadly for my minotaur, while he is exceptional everywhere else, he is somewhat underwhelming in that department.

Like it was said above though, we never let the camera linger on this stuff. Have some fun, jokingly or not, and move on.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.