As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    And because the 2018 writers' room is a bunch of hacks who enjoy crossing the streams and making the mods drink, say hello to your newest CoS candidate, Piers Morgan!
    Piers Morgan is set to 'quit' Good Morning Britain and leave the country to take on a new role for Donald Trump.

The Good Morning Britain presenter has put in an application to be the President's Chief of Staff behind his co-hosts' back.

Susanna Reid confessed she was "insulted" and claimed he was pretending to be ill so he could head off for an interview in Washington D.C. next week.

Piers famously won The Celebrity Apprentice USA and is hopeful of hearing Trump say the words "you're hired" for a second time.
    He already gets ripped to shreds by Americans through the internet. If he comes over here to work in the government, that shit is going to amplify to an amazing level that will break him.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Isn’t he a British national?

How will he get clearance? Shit in the White House above Five Eyes!

Oh, right. Trump...

Aside from "oh right, Trump" - does it matter what nationality he is? Its not an elected office, so does he have to be a US citizen?

It would make his needing access to NOFORN (No Foreign Nationals) classified documents awkward.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’d be great if it turns out he already legit quit that job only to find out too late that he can’t be COS

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Oh, right. Trump...

Aside from "oh right, Trump" - does it matter what nationality he is? Its not an elected office, so does he have to be a US citizen?

What moniker said.

Elected is irrelevant for access to classified material. A chief of staff is expected to be present for briefs that are Top Secret//NOFORN (no foreigner) and above classified materials.

Think Jared Kushner not able to get a clearance, but like, on an order of magnitude or two worse.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

Elected is irrelevant for access to classified material. A chief of staff is expected to be present for briefs that are Top Secret//NOFORN (no foreigner) and above classified materials.

Think Jared Kushner not able to get a clearance, but like, on an order of magnitude or two worse.

doesnt matter classification is the sole purview of the preisdent

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

That’s why my original post that TheBigEasy quoted ended with, “Oh, right. Trump...”

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    me walking into this thread:

"....Jon Voight???"

Even odds that Trump hopes/thinks it's actually Tom Cruise wearing a mask.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

Put it this way. The FBI, CIA and Secret Service will probably make clear to him, a man completely unfamiliar with laws concerning classification, that the first time he fucks up he will be going to prison for a very, very long time.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

Nah, it's still be better then Kushner. Kushner just looked at everything and then handed it over to foreign governments. Piers Morgan would probably actually keep it to himself for the most part. Maybe he'd let some stuff slip at a party or the like.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

Put it this way. The FBI, CIA and Secret Service will probably make clear to him, a man completely unfamiliar with laws concerning classification, that the first time he fucks up he will be going to prison for a very, very long time.

Let me put it this way. The laws surrounding classification have no power because access is the sole purview of the President. He cannot violate the law if the President says he has access(or authorization to grant access)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Oh, right. Trump...

What moniker said.

Nah, it's still be better then Kushner. Kushner just looked at everything and then handed it over to foreign governments. Piers Morgan would probably actually keep it to himself for the most part. Maybe he'd let some stuff slip at a party or the like.

Piers Morgan has got lotsa contacts in the UK government.

• Options
    The point is that the administration that’s all, “Hillary! Emails! Security! Classified! Rawr!” Has no hang ups about giving access of our highest secrets to people that can’t even get a normal security clearance.

No amount of technically correct is gonna change that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    He could get NOFORN with no issue if he became a citizen. I don't know how much power the President has to expedite that kind of thing but it might be the most elegant solution. Whether or not Morgan would agree is another matter.

I was trying to find similar cases and looked at Kissinger. I'd always assumed he got US citizenship later in life, but apparently he just had a pronounced accent. He naturalized after joining the Army and did some legitimately heroic stuff in WWII and after. And then, y'know, he Henry Kissinged everything. I wouldn't expect Piers Morgan to do even that well.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    He could get NOFORN with no issue if he became a citizen. I don't know how much power the President has to expedite that kind of thing but it might be the most elegant solution. Whether or not Morgan would agree is another matter.
    Wait, what am I agreeing to?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Let's just take 2018 full circle crazy and give it to Anthony Scaramucci

• Options
    Chris Christie's time has finally come.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Chris Christie's time has finally come.

The only somewhat amusing thing in this entire shitshow is that Chris Christie's time definitely has not, nor will ever come. Oh Trump will say he's way up on the list, hell he might even say he has the job and it will be officially given at a party. Then when Christie comes up to the stage to accept the position, Trump will go "haha gotcha!" and then announce someone else for the job and make Christie clap for them.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

I was trying to find similar cases and looked at Kissinger. I'd always assumed he got US citizenship later in life, but apparently he just had a pronounced accent. He naturalized after joining the Army and did some legitimately heroic stuff in WWII and after. And then, y'know, he Henry Kissinged everything. I wouldn't expect Piers Morgan to do even that well.

Having to become a US citizen would remove most of the advantages to be gained by being Trump's Chief of Staff.

Far better track would be just to tell Trump all that NOFORN isn't a real word, it's something the Democrats made up.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Honestly I'm not convinced that Christie would take the job even if he was on the short list given how Trump and his family rewareded his loyalty and hard work by publiclcy ridiculing him at every opportunity, accusing him of theft after he crowd sourced money to put together a transition team and summarily threw the plan for who to appoint right out the window.

Like, If I was in his position I'd do a press meeting and tell everyone that he could go fuck himself with a set of diagrams showing how and where with a full Q&A by the press corp.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    That’s because Reek doesn’t rhyme with courage or character.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Mark Meadows will NOT be Trump's Chief of Staff, multiple sources are reporting. I've gone with political news site The Hill, but I've seen similar headlines from Politico and CNN.

Some sources are saying Trump ruled him out, others that he changed his mind and decided to stick with his safe seat.

• Options
    What’s the opposite of, “You can’t fire me, I quit?”

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    What’s the opposite of, “You can’t fire me, I quit?”

"You can't hire me, I decline."

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    None of them are smart, classy, or bold enough to make the statement Sherman style.

"If drafted, I will not run. If nominated, I will not accept. If elected, I will not serve."

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I, for one, am happy that my decades long irrational fear of Jon Voight after being shown Anaconda as a small child is finally paying dividends.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Rumors say that Newt Gingrich might be in the running.

It might almost be worth it, since we all know it’s not going to be long before Trump trades him in for a younger, healthier Chief of Staff.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

It might almost be worth it, since we all know it’s not going to be long before Trump trades him in for a younger, healthier Chief of Staff.

He's definitely earned all the headaches that come from being Trump's COS.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

He's already said he doesn't want the job.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hey may be a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like, but he's not that dumb

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Newt would never take a job that required him to do actual work.

David Bossie, head of Citizens United, is also reported to be in the running.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    But being Trumps Chief of Staff doesn't actually entail any work. He's not going to listen to you and will undermine you at every opportunity so just collect the paycheck and spend your days touring the White House and relaxing in a nice office. Just don't expect to work in politics ever again and possibly also end up in prison.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It would also be worth it because if he became Chief of Staff he couldn't do what he does now. Which is go on TV and say whatever he wants free of any sort of consequence. It would de-fang one of the most popular vocal-promoters of the GOP.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I dunno man, I really wish Trump hiring people stopped them from being very online/very on Fox, but anyone who was already a regular stupid opinion giver has only done more so since being hired.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

It would also be worth it because if he became Chief of Staff he couldn't do what he does now. Which is go on TV and say whatever he wants free of any sort of consequence.

And why not? Rules are for Democrats.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

It would also be worth it because if he became Chief of Staff he couldn't do what he does now. Which is go on TV and say whatever he wants free of any sort of consequence.

And why not? Rules are for Democrats.
    If you look at his cabinet very few of the vocal ones continued being batshit crazy with public statements. Some of them even tried to do the job. Policy-wise any candidate for Chief of Staff will be shit, but if it's someone who has government experience they're going to try to be professional about it.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the CoS hunt has dropped off the news. Wonder if Kelly is just staying

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

NBC News reported Trump basically never left the residence yesterday; he's sulking and focused on TV coverage of the Cohen verdict and his negotiating error with Pelosi/Schumer. The Chief of Staff search can't progress without the President, so everything's on hold until he's back in a working mood.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

NBC News reported Trump basically never left the residence yesterday. He's sulking and focused on TV coverage of the Cohen verdict and his negotiating error with Pelosi/Schumer; the Chief of Staff search can't progress without the President, so everything's on hold until he's back in a working mood.

It's amazing that when Trump is there, the President can literally just skip work for the day.

That's INSANE.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Not to get too hopeful, but maybe he thinks Trump will go first.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I should be amazed that after wanting to get rid of Kelly for the whole of his tenure Trump didn't actually have a plan for who to replace him with.

I should be, because hey check it out: a normal president would have a binder full of potential replacements on stand by.

But this is "who needs plans or rational thought when I've got my gut" trump so nah, I'm just kind of numb to it at this point.

This discussion has been closed.