As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wasn’t it literally yesterday that Trump said there was zero chance of Acosta resigning?

The man is as opaque as polished glass.

He looks opaque because there's only an empty black void behind the glass

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It’s quite something seeing Acosta whine that people are bringing up something from 12 years ago, and complaining that his secret non prosecution agreement with a sex trafficker that was found to be illegally kept from said trafficker’s victims is distracting from his many “accomplishments*” as labor secretary.

*those “accomplishments” are mass amounts of deregulation and, according to The Guardian, attempting to cut the funding for anti people trafficking agencies by 80%. Oh yeah, fun fact, the secretary for labor oversees anti people trafficking efforts.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It’s quite something seeing Acosta whine that people are bringing up something from 12 years ago, and complaining that his secret non prosecution agreement with a sex trafficker that was found to be illegally kept from said trafficker’s victims is distracting from his many “accomplishments*” as labor secretary.

*those “accomplishments” are mass amounts of deregulation and, according to The Guardian, attempting to cut the funding for anti people trafficking agencies by 80%. Oh yeah, fun fact, the secretary for labor oversees anti people trafficking efforts.

Well, how else was he gonna keep helping Epstein’s child sex trafficking?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It makes me sick that people-trafficking laws are primarily used to prosecute undocumented immigrant families and refugees who take their children with them. They were never intended for that. They were intended to combat people like Epstein who enslave girls for sexual purposes (as well as people who use indentured laborers.)

Republicans reverse the meaning of the laws for their own purposes, so that slavers go unprosecuted, and families who arrange for their children to join them in the USA are given the treatment that Epstein deserves.

• Options
    By the way for those who want to update their scorecards, this producer with MSNBC has a handy list of the top Trump staff departures so far.

It’s just crazy how many I’d forgotten.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    By the way for those who want to update their scorecards, this producer with MSNBC has a handy list of the top Trump staff departures so far.

It needs some sort of color coding for: In Jail, In Court, Under Investigation

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It makes me sick that people-trafficking laws are primarily used to prosecute undocumented immigrant families and refugees who take their children with them. They were never intended for that. They were intended to combat people like Epstein who enslave girls for sexual purposes (as well as people who use indentured laborers.)

Republicans reverse the meaning of the laws for their own purposes, so that slavers go unprosecuted, and families who arrange for their children to join them in the USA are given the treatment that Epstein deserves.

I can't tell which is worse: that or child sex slavery leading to solicitation charges.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    How does the firing rate stand up against other Republican Presidents? Is it normal or not normal?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    How does the firing rate stand up against other Republican Presidents? Is it normal or not normal?

Decidedly not normal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

nothing about this is normal

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

It's unpresidented.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/two-years-in-turnover-in-trumps-cabinet-is-still-historically-high/

Basically, noone has surpassed the number of turnover since, and including Carter, for their entire first term, and that data only counts Trump to January 8th of this year. I've lost track of who's gone in the intervening months, but with just Acosta making it 13, Trump already holds the record for most, and he's still got another 19 months to go.

EDIT: Correction, Jimmy Carter had 13. But with Kjrjijsjtjejn Nielsen's resignation in April, that means that Trump's already at 14. At least.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It needs some sort of color coding for: In Jail, In Court, Under Investigation

I’m surprised he didn’t need to paste an image (yet)

• Options
    Why would a former prosecutor get considered for secretary of labor anyway?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    According to this reporter from Mother Jones, the replacement Secretary of Labor is a big fan of sweatshops, and worked with a disgraced lobbyist to promote them in the Northern Mariana Islands.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That's not a surprise literally everyone in this admin has advocated for something awful or done something awful. They wouldn't be in the Trump admin otherwise

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There were some reports that conservatives wanted Acosta out anyway for being too pro-worker.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Why would a surgeon get considered for Secretary of HUD?

• Options
    There were some reports that conservatives wanted Acosta out anyway for being too pro-worker.

Yes, I did see it noted from multiple sources before that Acosta wasn’t deregulating nearly fast enough for lobbyists. I expect Pizzella’s appointment is specifically to speed it all up.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »

Why would a oil exec get considered for the EPA?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Why would a oil exec get considered for the EPA?

Why was the President’s daughter sent to negotiate with the UK’s Secretary of State for International Trade?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Why would most of Trump's picks get considered?

I mean, fuck. Rick Perry wanted to dismantle the Department of Energy, didn't know what it did, forgot about it during a debate (oops), and is now the Secretary of Energy.

And strangely, one of the few that doesn't appear to be fucking up on a major scale, at least not publicly.

Same can't be said for the neurosurgeon heading HUD, who has no fucking business being there.

As much as she's a uniquely horrible pick, and academically unsuited to the position, at least Betsy DeVos has some tangential relationship to her portfolio. It's all BAD relationship, but it's something she's been pursuing.

That's been Trump's one semi-consistent factor. Either the completely wrong person heading the department (Zinke, McMahon, to name two others), or someone with no qualifications at all.

The only two who have both experience in the field, and were arguably a good fit for the role, are Elaine Chao, and former Secretary David Shulkin. And even then, the former is there more for who she is married to, and the latter left under scandal. And those are the two BEST picks he's made.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular

This. I don't really see this as a loss for Trump. He can now put in another "acting" person who doesn't have to get vetted and approved by Senate. There were complaints that Acosta wasn't aggressive enough reducing regulations for businesses.

Also, now this story is going to get a little less airtime, I believe, and we still don't know who gave Acosta the orders to do what he did. It was in several of his statements that he was "told" to do it from his superiors.

• Options
    Rhah wrote: »

This. I don't really see this as a loss for Trump. He can now put in another "acting" person who doesn't have to get vetted and approved by Senate. There were complaints that Acosta wasn't aggressive enough reducing regulations for businesses.

Also, now this story is going to get a little less airtime, I believe, and we still don't know who gave Acosta the orders to do what he did. It was in several of his statements that he was "told" to do it from his superiors.

New accusers (I mean, I'm guessing, but that's usually how this works when victims feel like there's a chance at justice) and bail hearing over the weekend means it won't be fading anytime soon.

When (not if) there are new accusers from after 2008, things are going to get really out of control.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular

Probably the same reason anyone else got a position in this administration, they donated to Trump's campaign and/or said nice things about him on TV.

• Options
    Surgeon got the HUD job because he's a black Republican

Pro oil guys run EPA to destroy it

Trump's first pick for Labor was fast food restauranteur that obviously would have been wildly pro corporate

A former federal prosecutor getting selected instead of some other corporate scumbag lacks any similar reasoning

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

These are the best people.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I had forgotten about Actual Nazi Sebastian Gorka

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So this all reminds me

How is Trump doing on nominees that had to withdraw (like the Andrew Puzder nom for Labor that was sunk)

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

Were.

• Options
    Axios link, so take it for what it's worth, but he wants to fire DNI Coats

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Does it count as a departure when Mooch never really arrived?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I'd argue yes, because what a two weeks those were. There were people on vacation that August who were off forums and came back and were like "hey guys did I miss anything? What's a Mooch?"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    wazilla wrote: »
    It remains hilarious that the surest sign that someone is about to be fired from the Trump administration is the explicit assurance that they are safe. I shudder to think of the toxicity of that work environment.

The surest sign someone is about to be fired from the Trump administration is that they're hired by the Trump administration.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

list-o-mania

Were.

Considering the knobjob jagoffs he replaces people with, these are the best.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I'd argue yes, because what a two weeks those were. There were people on vacation that August who were off forums and came back and were like "hey guys did I miss anything? What's a Mooch?"

A scaramucci was shorter than my summer vacation that year

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'd just like to point out that if my rough math is correct, Trump's had about 1.2 departures a month since coming into office.

Truly, an unprecedented president.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that if my rough math is correct, Trump's had about 1.2 departures a month since coming into office.

Draining the swamp, but refilling it with raw sewage just as quickly.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Yeah but didn't he fill the swamp in the first place?

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »

Yeah but didn't he fill the swamp in the first place?

That was Obama. Thanks, Obama!

• Options
    I guess Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross will probably be future endeavoured because of the census failure.

This discussion has been closed.