As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Dragonball] Thread Comes Back Stronger After It's Closed

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    What makes Goku exceptional? Like all Saiyans get stronger but what did he do that puts him on par with even gods

I know part of this is just "He train real hard" but even other Saiyans like Vegeta can barely keep pace with similar/identical training

He didn’t know he was a saiyan til he was an adult, so he has all the strength and none of the ego

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    seems like as good a time as any to post this analysis

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    What makes Goku exceptional? Like all Saiyans get stronger but what did he do that puts him on par with even gods

I know part of this is just "He train real hard" but even other Saiyans like Vegeta can barely keep pace with similar/identical training

Well, saiyan for one. But out of all of them, he's the only one with the raw drive to get stronger. Gohan never really wants to fight. And Vegeta has the perpetual rod stuck up his ass that'll always hold him back.

In a way it's because he doesn't care. Gohan cares about life, and Vegeta only cares about beating Goku. Goku doesn't care about a damn thing... and apparently in this universe that's the secret to unlimited power.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You could probably make the argument that Goku having grown up training on earth instead of with saiyans gives him a fundamentally different perspective on how to use/train his strength that other saiyans don't have. Plus a wider variety of techniques because he's had a ton of different masters to train with and opponents to spar with as opposed to 'shouting at a mountain for a year to get stronger'.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Goku unlocks more strength by emptying his mind, which isn't too difficult for him because there isn't much going on up there in the first place.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    goku's just naturally talented and whatever the saiyans were doing to figure out babies' potential that screened him out as a weakling to be exiled was bullshit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I don't even think the Saiyans were checking for potential, just what the power level was at birth. So while Goku's base stats are very low he's basically that one unit in Fire Emblem who is completely useless until he becomes a monster after leveling up enough.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oops! All Gokus

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

He is a buddhist Superman.

I guess that makes Jiren his Shazam.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My guess is that while every Saiyan has the "their ki grows stronger if they almost die" quirk, very few other Saiyans are routinely placed in a situation that can activate it without actually dying. They're like Vegeta-- they will fight until it really actually kills them rather than retreat. Goku, meanwhile, has friends who will pull him out of trouble, throw him Senzu beans, resurrect him when he dies, and so on, not to mention that he's also been put up against a workable succession of increasingly powerful enemies. It's not his biology, it's his circumstances.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I could have sworn that it was something about him being pure hearted and being the legendary super saiyan before it quickly got retconned.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The secret to his strongness is that he is an incredible idiot

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Goku continually tests himself against more and more powerful opponents, whereas most Saiyans attacked planets that were essentially helpless.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Goku continually tests himself against more and more powerful opponents, whereas most Saiyans attacked planets that were essentially helpless.

And then Vegeta does manage to keep closing the gap by getting caught in those situations anyways. But he definitely doesn't seek them out the same way.

Actually, if UI is a one-time deal for Goku, Vegeta may actually be stronger at the end of super (royal blue is presumably something he can hit again easily now)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Vegeta wants to prove he's the strongest. Goku wants to get stronger.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Fun note Earth was supposed to be one of those planets. But Earth had an extremely small amount of bonafide badasses.

Hell if Grandpa Gohan wasn’t in that extreme minority baby Goku WOULD have wrecked the planet.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

And then Vegeta does manage to keep closing the gap by getting caught in those situations anyways. But he definitely doesn't seek them out the same way.

Actually, if UI is a one-time deal for Goku, Vegeta may actually be stronger at the end of super (royal blue is presumably something he can hit again easily now)

Well, Goku has Blue+Kiaoken but Vegeta's Royal Blue mode is probably way more stable and easy to maintain.

Also I thiiiiink they imply that Goku could go UI again but he can't just turn it on and off. Something actually has to push him to his absolute limits to trigger it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Do we think Vegeta actually cares what other people think, or is it a self-image thing? because the idea of pride can skew either way

Goku is definitely concerned entirely with himself at this point. Like he cares about saving the universe and shit but that's secondary to his self-improvement

You could call that a kind of zen I guess

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Do we think Vegeta actually cares what other people think, or is it a self-image thing? because the idea of pride can skew either way

Goku is definitely concerned entirely with himself at this point. Like he cares about saving the universe and shit but that's secondary to his self-improvement

Even at the end of the Cell saga Goku is like "all this bad stuff keeps happening because I am soooooooooooo strong!" Oh to be in Vegeta's head at that moment.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just remembered to look in on it and DBZA has gone a year and nearly a month between episodes, and counting.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well, Goku has Blue+Kiaoken but Vegeta's Royal Blue mode is probably way more stable and easy to maintain.

Also I thiiiiink they imply that Goku could go UI again but he can't just turn it on and off. Something actually has to push him to his absolute limits to trigger it.

SSJ was the same way though. Originally it wasn't something he could just turn on and off at will, it was triggered by rage.
    Then he trained for a bit and it became something he could turn on and off at will.
    Same thing with SSG, originally it had insane requirements that he had to meet to turn God. Then he trained for a bit and now does it to play baseball.
    Same thing with the Kaioken, originally it was a difficult technique that he could barely pull off when he needed it, then he trains a bit and now it's an added layer of polish to whatever he's doing.

I'm pretty sure the same could be said for the kamehameha wave (it's been a while since I watched original DB, so I could be off on that one). It was originally a big trump card to be pulled out at the most dire of circumstances. Now it's pretty much his basic energy attack and if it fails he just does it again but louder.

I'm just saying that it seems really unlikely that Goku would attain a new height of power once and just be cool saying "Yeah, that was nice. Think I'll be staying with the blue hair from now on though" and never look back. It seems more likely that he'd spend the next season finding some ludicrous new training regimen that allows him to get attain that level of power again and again until he can do it as easily as going super.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I think Vegeta's entire arc during the Tournament of Power was letting go of wanting to be the strongest. After a while his goal changes from "I want to prove I'm the strongest (and also save our universe in the process)" to "I want to win so I can fulfill my promise to Cabba an wish back their universe". That's when he manages to surpass his limits, achieve Royal Blue (Or Blue Evolved), beats Toppo and even manages to evade, hit and flatten Jiren before being beaten again (because he's still Vegeta, after all.). Though one could argue that without Vegeta distracting Jiren and sacrificing his energy to Goku the latter would never have had the time and energy to go Ultra Instinct again.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I just remembered to look in on it and DBZA has gone a year and nearly a month between episodes, and counting.

Cell has been thinking about Goku the whole time.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Cell has been punching Gohan in the face the whole time.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    I LOVE the way that looks, goddamn

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I hope they've got more in mind than just "he's stronger than anyone before! stronger than Jiren!"

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I LOVE the way that looks, goddamn

yeah, the animation looks amazing

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I hope they've got more in mind than just "he's stronger than anyone before! stronger than Jiren!"

For all the talk of Toriyama doing a different thing, so far that just looks like Broly bein Broly

I wonder if they'll take up time in the next series doing a recap version of this flick too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    this male Kale is real weird y'all. Toriyama's just being lazy and copying a cool character from DBS

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options

Frieza being involved already makes it more interesting, cause there must be more going on if he would give a shit about trying to stop it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Frieza being involved already makes it more interesting, cause there must be more going on if he would give a shit about trying to stop it

Considering his distaste for Saiyans, I doubt Frieza is crazy about even more super-powerful ones running around. At least with Goku, Frieza knows he can negotiate with him.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Broly seems a lot more like a cocky warrior prince this time around? The way he comes swaggering out of that ship munching on food, flanked by guards is very unlike old Broly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I really want to see Broly vs Kale.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Kale murders Broly after he threatens her girlfriend.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yes, give me that.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Considering his distaste for Saiyans, I doubt Frieza is crazy about even more super-powerful ones running around. At least with Goku, Frieza knows he can negotiate with him.

I mean yea, but also it sounds less like he's on a race crusade and more like he's super into it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I will accept whatever excuse necessary for more Frieza

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Yeah....that looks gorgeous give me that forever.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Frieza wants to get stronger than Goku and Vegeta so he can kill them both.

Vegeta wants to get stronger than Goku so he can be stronger than Goku.

Goku wants to get stronger than he currently is so he is constantly getting stronger.

Of course neither Frieza nor Vegeta will ever be able to catch up to Goku because first they must get halfway there, by which point Goku has already moved on. So they must get halfway to the next point, but he's moved on again. So they will never reach Goku's strength.

Zen-Oh's Paradox.

Madican on
This discussion has been closed.