As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I mean it demonetizes the video, not the WHOLE CHANNEL, right?

That seems like a perfectly reasonable approach. If you really have something to say, then just make a separate video and let it be demonetized.

What if you're a "talk about current events" type channel and you don't give any misinformation? No, I don't think that's reasonable.

I mean if that's the case then those hypothetical channels have a good complaint to make

But it still doesn't mean the game grumps or other non-educational channels should be monetizing their covid-19 content

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

That seems like a perfectly reasonable approach. If you really have something to say, then just make a separate video and let it be demonetized.

What if you're a "talk about current events" type channel and you don't give any misinformation? No, I don't think that's reasonable.

I mean if that's the case then those hypothetical channels have a good complaint to make

But it still doesn't mean the game grumps or other non-educational channels should be monetizing their covid-19 content

The Game Grumps is literally a "talk about current events" type channel. They casually talk over gameplay footage and their most common topics of conversation are "what are you up to recently" and "what have you been into lately." Explain why they shouldn't be able to monetize their descriptions of how quarantine has been treating them, what changes they made to keep recording while under stay in place orders, etc.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think there's separate matter here which is that for once, there's an actual consideration that needs to be made about how much work should be expected from Youtube employees to scan through content during a time when their ability to work is likely affected. I'm kind of okay with a hard rule rather than requiring people to individually check every single video on the subject for manual approval or disapproval.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

The Game Grumps is literally a "talk about current events" type channel. They casually talk over gameplay footage and their most common topics of conversation are "what are you up to recently" and "what have you been into lately." Explain why they shouldn't be able to monetize their descriptions of how quarantine has been treating them, what changes they made to keep recording while under stay in place orders, etc.

In the end they should be able to, but that would require YT actually trying to fix their s**t which we can all agree they'll never do. YT forcing their users to circumvent their own shoddy code is what YT does, so instead we're left with the current state of things.

From a philosophical standpoint the algorithm should be doing the opposite of what its currently doing, I.E. forcing those that would actively abuse it to become more nefarious. Instead YT goes "We're taking a page from Ripley on this one, nuke it from orbit."

Personally, I would love for normal people on YT like the grumps to be able to actively talk about the covid19 pandemic of 2020, however, I agree with YT here but only because 1.) humans are the worst and 2.) the way they run their site is 2nd worst.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    YouTube can say they’re doing it for that reason all they like, but the real reason is far more depressing and perhaps sadly obvious in retrospect. Advertisers don’t want their brands associated with covid-19/coronavirus. Ad revenue for media outlets of all types has been plummeting despite having record breaking viewers/readers.
    “Trump” was the most popular blacklist keyword until “coronavirus” overtook it earlier this year, with more than 3,100 advertisers blocking it as of March, according to ad tech firm Integral Ad Science.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    That's interesting. Whenever I listen to Youtube radio in my kitchen I get constant ads about COVID19. (Stay Indoors, AloneTogether, etc)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Somebody spotted Arin's name in the credits for the FF7 remake under "additional voices".

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh shit really? Someone needs to find him.

I liked that the one guy from breaking bad got to voice wedge. I didn’t notice till it was pointed out, then it was super obvious.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh shit really? Someone needs to find him.

I liked that the one guy from breaking bad got to voice wedge. I didn’t notice till it was pointed out, then it was super obvious.

If you want to know

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Patrick Warburton's son, Talon, is in the game. He's the guy that sounds like Patrick Warburton.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Man what if H. Jon Benjamin had a son and we had a H. Jon Benjamin for videogames.

• Options
    Patrick Warburton has been in games. Most notably, he's a wonderful antagonistic douche in Tales from the Borderlands. He's also been some more minor voices according to IMDB, like in Skylanders and even Call of Duty at one point.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    This 10 minute power hour gave me anxiety.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Micheal Reeves has big crackhead energy

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I was bored so I watched some Grumps last night. How are they reconciling the fact that the two of them aren't self-isolating? It seems profoundly shitty to me that these two guys that get millions of views just seem to be ignoring the rules around isolation. That cannot be setting a good example.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I was bored so I watched some Grumps last night. How are they reconciling the fact that the two of them aren't self-isolating? It seems profoundly shitty to me that these two guys that get millions of views just seem to be ignoring the rules around isolation. That cannot be setting a good example.

They talked about how they quarantined themselves for something like 12 days before they started doing vids again.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

They talked about how they quarantined themselves for something like 12 days before they started doing vids again.

That's not how self-isolation works. Unless they're now living together which I don't think is the case as Arin was talking about going out with Suzie on walks, etc.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

That's not how self-isolation works. Unless they're now living together which I don't think is the case as Arin was talking about going out with Suzie on walks, etc.

It's all about distance, clean hands and keeping your hands away from your face.

Neither you or I know exactly what they're doing but we certainly don't know enough to say they aren't being as safe as possible.

Nothing wrong with going for a walk for example

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options

It's all about distance, clean hands and keeping your hands away from your face.

Neither you or I know exactly what they're doing but we certainly don't know enough to say they aren't being as safe as possible.

Nothing wrong with going for a walk for example

My point is they're violating a clear isolation order and they aren't an essential service.
    If Dan or Arin aren't isolating they're at risk of being infected, infecting their loved ones, and any multitude of people they could come into contact with. It's why the order is in place.
    It's monumentally stupid and irresponsible considering they're speaking to a huge audience. Hell, they could still do what they're doing from their own separate homes.

• Options
    The situation is actually unclear. During Mario Galaxy 2, they did self isolation for the 12 or 15 days or whatever to check for symptoms. Then in two Power Hours, Dan is absent. Space Quest seems to have been recorded from the same room. Something to keep in mind is that a small business like theirs would certainly not receive any bailout or anything like that, so keeping everyone taken care of during the crisis is a priority too. Without knowing the details of what they're doing exactly and the timeline of it, I don't think it's right to try to condemn them for it.

• Options
    Not only that but if it's just them and they haven't gone out with large groups I don't see the problem. If my best friend wants to come over and hang out then I'll let him come over because I trust he's been following the rules as well.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Not only that but if it's just them and they haven't gone out with large groups I don't see the problem. If my best friend wants to come over and hang out then I'll let him come over because I trust he's been following the rules as well.

That's a bit oxymoronic isn't it? You'd let him over, breaking the rules, because you're confident you're both following the rules? You don't see the fault in that logic?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    urahonky wrote: »

That's a bit oxymoronic isn't it? You'd let him over, breaking the rules, because you're confident you're both following the rules? You don't see the fault in that logic?

Nope because I'm not exposing myself to anyone else? If I know he's not been around people and I've not seen another soul for weeks then yeah I don't see the harm.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Hoo boy. Ok.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    There's also no point in trying to police other's behaviors nor trying to berate others

If it's just those two groups interacting and they're displaying normal social distancing otherwise it's really not as big a deal as many other more dire situations which probably are more worth your time getting riled about

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Hoo boy. Ok.

You aren't the Covid police, this is really uncalled for.

• Options
    I'm honestly not trying to do anything other than point out that what they're doing is pretty irresponsible given the current situation. Arin was even "joking" about having the virus.

I'll say that supporting themselves and their employees is a good thing but I think there are better ways of tackling that.

Ignoring these orders to shelter in place is a pretty serious thing and there are real consequences for other people. I'll leave it at that though and just drop it as there doesn't seem to be much empathy for the situation here.

• Options
    There's a shitload of empathy dude! For the people actually in any danger! The grumps are lucky enough to be able to afford to self isolate and chose who they can interact with is someone known to also have been in quarantine! Trying to shame people in these situations doesn't improve things it makes you seem goosey for not focusing that energy elsewhere because there's much more dire situations going on. You don't know what Arin and Dan are doing, they probably aren't interacting with anyone aside from each other and whomever they live with. They prob aren't seeing their family or friends, and it's kinda crazy you'd assume they're doing so.

Idk I don't like the implication being 'you guys just don't get it' when I very much do, and I'm being forced to return to work against my will tomorrow. Wish I could chose who I'd be exposed to like the grumps can, but I can't. They're being more responsible than the vast majority of Western businesses.

• Options
    By your logic we should not even live with our family members anymore right? Because even if we know where they have been, there is daaaaaaanger.

Sorry but that is just not really understanding the point of what is going on. We are trying to minimize the spread, not fear every single other human being. 2 people who ALWAYS are near each other and likely know each other just as well as someone does their own kids have zero issues being near JUST each other. Especially if they spent the required amount of time to be sure none of them has the disease first.

The issue with hanging out with say, some acquiantances, workers, or even some friends is you don't know what they are doing. It appears Dan and Arin made sure they were clear and are very likely close enough to trust each other are doing what is necessary to end it right there. Even if ONE of them gets it and gives to another, the most it would go to is the others immediate living partners. Unless they aren't following the rules, in which case then you might have a point.

We are not going to stop the spread completely. There are way too many people out there who do not give a fuck and are likely doing as they please. It is just to slow it. If 75% of the population is keeping to themselves, then that is good enough.

Also yeah, very odd place and people to be going on a crusade honestly.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It helps that it's just two guys, with editors and whatnot presumably working at the digital only level. Compare to, say, Rooster Teeth's let's play department, which has a dozen or so regulars and switched to online only play sessions now that their backlog is running dry.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    It's not so much that we're supposed to be solo self isolating, as keeping whatever your isolation group is all following the same rules. Often, that's a single family/household, but if say a pair of neighboring families want to follow the same isolation agreement? Then they're perfectly fine to mingle among their somewhat larger isolation group, so long as they're all on the same page and following the rules to only interact with that larger isolation group.

The larger the cohort, the more points of failure to adhere to the rules, naturally. As long as it's just like, the grumps and their SOs and they're all maintaining that as their isolation group, then I don't see the problem. One of the benefits of a small business size and only really needing to meaningfully interact with one employee who also happens to be one of your closest friends.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    It's not so much that we're supposed to be solo self isolating, as keeping whatever your isolation group is all following the same rules. Often, that's a single family/household, but if say a pair of neighboring families want to follow the same isolation agreement? Then they're perfectly fine to mingle among their somewhat larger isolation group, so long as they're all on the same page and following the rules to only interact with that larger isolation group.

The larger the cohort, the more points of failure to adhere to the rules, naturally. As long as it's just like, the grumps and their SOs and they're all maintaining that as their isolation group, then I don't see the problem. One of the benefits of a small business size and only really needing to meaningfully interact with one employee who also happens to be one of your closest friends.

Depending on how their arrangement works, they could even be reducing each other's risk by joining their two cells of the isolation. For instance, two cells operating separately have to go grocery shopping separately; two cells joined together in isolation could elect one member to do grocery shopping for both, thereby reducing their exposure vectors. My partner and I considered inviting a friend of ours who lives alone into a similar arrangement, but decided we didn't need the added pressure of being responsible for another person's food supply.

I doubt Arin is grocery shopping for Dan. My point is that we don't know enough to draw any conclusions whatsoever, and given the fact that they at least seemed to take the initial quarantine seriously, I think it's weird not to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt because that's not how the isolation order works. Unless things are dramatically different in the US vs the rest of the world. Which might make sense given the situation that seems to be occurring in the US.

My point wasn't to say Dan and Arin are awful people. My point is that they're making an awful judgement call in front of millions of people and I think that's shitty.
    I've said my piece though so I'll drop it.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I peaced out of this second Monopoly episode. Even if they eventually did make a trade, playing 2 player monopoly so cutthroat is so boring to watch when it's decided so early.

I get that that's how the game encourages you to play, which has much more wiggle room with 3+ people. But these aren't exactly enthralling to watch when only one player has a path to victory.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    YouTube can say they’re doing it for that reason all they like, but the real reason is far more depressing and perhaps sadly obvious in retrospect. Advertisers don’t want their brands associated with covid-19/coronavirus. Ad revenue for media outlets of all types has been plummeting despite having record breaking viewers/readers.
    “Trump” was the most popular blacklist keyword until “coronavirus” overtook it earlier this year, with more than 3,100 advertisers blocking it as of March, according to ad tech firm Integral Ad Science.

Yeah, YouTube would love to become the next TV but doesn’t work without content creators.

• Options
    So there's a new Mario Maker 2 update coming out that includes a bunch of new things but most notably: Worlds. I hope this means Ross will create a world for Arin/Dan to go through.

Mario Maker 1 episodes were my favorite.

• Options
    I feel like Ross never got around to something truly diabolical for the both of them to coop. The one he did with the ddlc guy was great but was pretty much pure coop and not something putting themselves against each other. The issues with local mp were solved at some point so he could likely get it done now.

Their smm2 content was great when they did real levels. Their friends like the completionist were not super great level designers.

That bank robbery level they did coop was fucking amazing and one of my top gg episodes ever.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I peaced out of this second Monopoly episode. Even if they eventually did make a trade, playing 2 player monopoly so cutthroat is so boring to watch when it's decided so early.

I get that that's how the game encourages you to play, which has much more wiggle room with 3+ people. But these aren't exactly enthralling to watch when only one player has a path to victory.

Not only do they make a trade, but in episode 3, Dan essentially hands over about $700 worth of stuff to give Arin more turns to try to play. Next time they play, they're turning on some house rules to shake things up.

That having been said, the vast majority of the YouTube commenters have no IDEA what Monopoly is or how to play it. Apparently in competitive board games you're just meant to give other players free advantages sometimes? That's news to me.

shoeboxjeddy on
This discussion has been closed.