As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I mean it's also a melancholy game about exploring a ruined kingdom that has been kept on life support full of it's undead residents with lore and story drip fed to you from item descriptions and cryptic npc dialog.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I watched my roommate play it and and that was good enough for me

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hollow Knight is an easier game than people let on. Also I hate the "souls-like" stuff people are throwing around lately because it's never accurate. It shares one trait with the Souls games; when you die, you have to go collect your money. That's it. Diablo 2 had a way of doing that too but it's not a "Souls-like" (even if it pre-dated the series). It's just a platformer where the combat is based on melee. There's ways to grind to get stronger / safer, like being able to fight from a distance and such. Yes it does get very difficult at times but what platformer doesn't? The hardest area in the game is completely optional.

As far as mapping your way around goes, it's admittedly a lot to have to remember and you can stumble into a lot of false-positives for progression

Sometimes i wanna tell people that like... it's okay to keep hand-written notes about games like this. You don't have to memorize everything, just have your learned info on hand.
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I mean it's also a melancholy game about exploring a ruined kingdom that has been kept on life support full of it's undead residents with lore and story drip fed to you from item descriptions and cryptic npc dialog.

There's also the "bonfire" flow with the benches. You recover and set respawn points by using the game's bonfire equivalent, which also has the effect of respawning all the enemies you defeated.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    YouTube's algorithm scares me. Danny talked about a YTMND he enjoyed, and just now YouTube recommended an upload of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4iRTdXVIMY

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    It probably saw that a bunch of people who watched the episode in question watched that next, so now its a "related video".

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's yet another NSP music video put up just a few minutes ago! NSFW language big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3CddzpgYo

• Options
    I dunno what's happening but they're streaming a thing that's... um. Hmm. Just listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-GdIOYpzU

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm sad, and this is usually what happens when they play hyped up games, but they stopped playing Hollow Knight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamegrumps/comments/jbmxvc/arin_on_the_hollow_knight_playthrough_and_its/

Probably because HK fans are too abrasive for a slow play of the game.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm sad, and this is usually what happens when they play hyped up games, but they stopped playing Hollow Knight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamegrumps/comments/jbmxvc/arin_on_the_hollow_knight_playthrough_and_its/

Probably because HK fans are too abrasive for a slow play of the game.

I figured this would happen. Hollow Knight is not conducive to the LP format, and the HK die-hards would suffer absolutely zero of the usual Grumps quirks. It's a shame, but an inevitable one.

I'm hoping someone gets Arin and Dan to do Anatomy for Ghoul Grumps, though. Short, sweet, and Dan will probably go into the fetal position at some point.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    It being slow for Game Grumps is a twofold problem.

First is yeah, fans. I adore the game and I know better, but I know there's other people out there who will lose their shit about Arin running around exploring shit for tons and tons and tons of episodes. People can't help but backseat and also forget what it's like to play a game blind. Hell some of them don't play unless there is a guide they can reference right away.

Second is the YouTube algorithm. If there's a steady stream of 100 episodes of Hollow Knight, it will over time hurt the channel because YouTube is pee pee poo poo.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    It’s a shame they aren’t doing Hollow Knight anymore; I think some of my favorite early episodes are from their Super Metroid playthrough, so I think they work well with metroidvanias

But I get it, since I don’t think they’ve ever finished a Castlevania that Arin was playing

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    It’s a shame they aren’t doing Hollow Knight anymore; I think some of my favorite early episodes are from their Super Metroid playthrough, so I think they work well with metroidvanias

But I get it, since I don’t think they’ve ever finished a Castlevania that Arin was playing

The shortened run of SOTN still bums me out.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Joolander wrote: »

I feel like Super Metroid is a little different since Arin probably knew that game front to back (unless he said he didn't). Metroidvanias that you don't know well could eaily result in lots of "ok so now what?"-ness which the loudest part of the fanbase is less than chill with.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    An HK series would require Arin to have played through it so be knows what to do so that he can make progress in each episode while not needed to focus as much on it. Like when Dan played Link Between Worlds again. Arin blindly flailing around is frustrating for both him and the audience, so I can see why they'd drop it.

And speaking of games that Arin has played through before, I'm still waiting for them to finish that Chrono Trigger playthrough. Hope they didn't give up in it for good.

• Options
    I'm surprised they gave up on the long streams overall, but that might just be because of the BSB reunion tour.

• Options
    I'm surprised they gave up on the long streams overall, but that might just be because of the BSB reunion tour.
    It 100% is because of the BSB Reunion Tour. I mean in some respects they don't quite have to call off being in person. Even late night talk shows are starting to have their crews work in the same space again. We know a lot more about the Reunion Tour today than we did back in January. Safety precautions are easier to implement now that we've had the time to adjust, materials needed are more easily available, etc.

Arin was speaking on a recent episode I watched about how they're kinda handling things from a bit-more-paranoid-about-it position, but overall it's them wanting to set an example for everyone else to follow. And I can dig it.

• Options
    God bless NSP. New music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjPIbxFJdwg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dan and Arin (along with Ross and friends) are playing Among Us. As expected, they are pretty bad.

(5:20 is peak Arin bad)
    https://youtu.be/0dl8S2yCZIg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ross has that video up as well from his perspective, it’s a little more fun to watch at least that last game from his perspective:

https://youtu.be/L9JVEt1cpL4

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not typically complain about bad gameplay person but I had to stop watching when Arin didn't see what happened.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm more or less watching this series for Dan. Him wandering around aimlessly, or being 'protected' while he was imposter was hilarious.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I haven't watched it yet but are they only playing with the 4 of them? If so that can't be a very fun watch.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I haven't watched it yet but are they only playing with the 4 of them? If so that can't be a very fun watch.

No, they have other streamers and youtubers joining them like jacksepticeye

Danny's giggling made the episode for me

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

No, they have other streamers and youtubers joining them like jacksepticeye

Danny's giggling made the episode for me

Oh phew that's good then.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    HK seemed like a poor fit for the grumps to me, as it requires you to pay very close attention to small details, especially in navigation. There's not a lot of obvious signposts in terms of where you are for a lot of the map.

Also, while I do like the game, it's fairly punishing in terms of failure, and I think the excellent art/music/style raise it up several notches to most people than the gameplay does by itself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Nah it’s lots of youtubers. A lot of them are regulars with Ross. I watch Ross’ stream a bunch and he plays a ton of Among Us with various content creators. They always seem to be able to fill a room easy. Of those there this time Alpha and Jaiden are fairly regular.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    When I played HK I definitely spent a whole bunch of time retracing my steps and going over the same area like 3 or 4 times because I wasn't sure where to go next. So I could totally forgive Arin for that.

And then I saw one episode end where he was next to Cornifer and then the next episode started and he immediately ran away from Cornifer and I came undone.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I think Ross also is like 4 levels away from being done his Mario maker world. They are collabs so that is making it take a bit to start. He already finished a collar with the completionist that went well.

I can’t wait for Arin to play it though I question how the hell he will finish it in videos. Some of the levels took Ross multiple streams to upload averaging 4 hours.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh god, over on YouTube they hinted at playing Danganronpa.

Poor Dan, he is going to *break* from despair.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    They should play more short-form games, like an NES or SNES classic or dare-I-say, a Genesis game. They've been on a kick of long series games for awhile now.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I think Ross also is like 4 levels away from being done his Mario maker world. They are collabs so that is making it take a bit to start. He already finished a collar with the completionist that went well.

I can’t wait for Arin to play it though I question how the hell he will finish it in videos. Some of the levels took Ross multiple streams to upload averaging 4 hours.

That's true, however keep in mind that's because Ross had to beat the entire map deathless. Arin will be able to start from the checkpoints.

• Options
    Yeah but I have played all his levels. Even with checkpoints some will be deadly, and even if it takes Arin a fraction of the time 2 or 3 episodes per level would make it one of their longest running series.

I just am super hyped about it and so is Ross. I would be sad if they couldn’t finish.

• Options
    Watching Arin try to figure out the temperature log in episode 2 was torture lol.

• Options
    Yeah but I have played all his levels. Even with checkpoints some will be deadly, and even if it takes Arin a fraction of the time 2 or 3 episodes per level would make it one of their longest running series.

I just am super hyped about it and so is Ross. I would be sad if they couldn’t finish.

I really can't wait. SMM series is some of my favorite videos.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nah it’s lots of youtubers. A lot of them are regulars with Ross. I watch Ross’ stream a bunch and he plays a ton of Among Us with various content creators. They always seem to be able to fill a room easy. Of those there this time Alpha and Jaiden are fairly regular.

Jaiden is one of my favorite Grumps-adjacent YouTubers I've discovered recently. I discovered her via the video she made back in March about how the Scribble Showdown tour went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQDe5dNoNog

I'm mostly impressed that she seems to have found a way to make doing animations on YouTube work despite the algorithm, but she's also hilarious and I love her animation style.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I have to admit that I'd like a full Game Grumps game. Arin, Danny, and Ross, but throw in Brian, Suzy, maybe bring back Barry or the Super Mega guys.

If not them, who would you like to see them cross over with for Among Us or some other games? I think they'd have fun with some of the AH/Let's Play crew, though maybe not for a while since they have to recover from the Ryan situation. Or they could team up with some of the old SBF crew. I've only recently gotten into Penny Parker, but she and the rest of the Snap Cube crew feel like a good mesh with the Grumps.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'd like to see them bring in Barry for sure. For anything. He just seems like a nice fun guy.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Meanwhile, JackSepticEye just played Among Us with Ilhan Omar and AOC. That's....a hell of a range for him to go through. Interesting that the Grumps are one degree of separation from them in the world of video games.

• Options
    OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY STARTED DANGANRONPA

And are probably not going to finish it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY STARTED DANGANRONPA

And are probably not going to finish it.

Monokuma takes a few notes on his clipboard.

"So, this feeling right here, this... despair? How would you rate it on a scale of one to ten?"

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.